UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup price
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
breezyoaks
UKC Forum Member

Funny stuff

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
Best answer on here ! 1k pups wont set in a pen and go to waste

Wudnt be all terrible if the pups that are sold for big money are guaranteed to run and tree at a given age. ......but......2/3 of them get billed up to be the next big deal and dont have a clue......bottom line they either are born w it or they aint....and too many litters that aint. !

End of story.

Patrick Barrett

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-06-2019 01:47 AM
breezyoaks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for breezyoaks Click here to Send breezyoaks a Private Message Click Here to Email breezyoaks Find more posts by breezyoaks Add breezyoaks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Doesn't matter what the price $1 or a thousand. Pups are more likely to make it when in the right hands. Having the $ to pay top dollar does not make a person any better with pups and not having the $ to pay top price doesn't make on worse. It takes patience and know how. I've said this before but will say it again - some people are good at raising puppies, some good at starting a pup, do me good at getting a started pup going, some good at training young dogs, some good at the polishing into a nice dog - very few can do all the above and have the patience to see one through.

Home of the $50 pup now 12 1/2 Redneck Mafia.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-06-2019 02:21 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Funny stuff

quote:
Originally posted by breezyoaks
Wudnt be all terrible if the pups that are sold for big money are guaranteed to run and tree at a given age. ....End of story.

Wouldn't be all terible if everyone that bought a pup guaranteed that they would raise, start and train a pup correctly.

Old Post 08-06-2019 03:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: Funny stuff

quote:
Originally posted by breezyoaks
Wudnt be all terrible if the pups that are sold for big money are guaranteed to run and tree at a given age. ......but......2/3 of them get billed up to be the next big deal and dont have a clue......bottom line they either are born w it or they aint....and too many litters that aint. !

End of story.

I give a 12 month guarantee on every pup from the day you pick it up, only had 1 pup come back.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 08-06-2019 04:44 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
breezyoaks
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Funny stuff

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
I give a 12 month guarantee on every pup from the day you pick it up, only had 1 pup come back.

Perfect ! There it is !
U have confidence in what you advertise and raise....

Patrick Barrett

Old Post 08-06-2019 07:22 PM
breezyoaks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for breezyoaks Click here to Send breezyoaks a Private Message Click Here to Email breezyoaks Find more posts by breezyoaks Add breezyoaks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sawyer Hortin
UKC Forum Member

Id give 1000 for a pup out of a reproducing female. I don't care what they've won.

Old Post 08-06-2019 08:44 PM
Sawyer Hortin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sawyer Hortin Click here to Send Sawyer Hortin a Private Message Find more posts by Sawyer Hortin Add Sawyer Hortin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

I haven't raised a litter in quite some time but at one time I raised and sold many litters. I have a very good female now that I believe is worthy of raising a litter out of. Raising pups is a bitter/sweet deal and can be gratifying or heart breaking. For the longest time it would make me angry when I would hear about one that didn't get hunted, or sold before given a chance or there were even a couple culled under a year old for what ever reason. I loved hearing good reports on pups as they progressed. I realized that once they left my kennel, I had no more control over them. I would always give a year guaranteed satisfaction on them once they left and would give a full puppy price refund if they were hunted and returned in good health. Out of all my pups sold, I only had 2 returned and both went on to make coon dogs. I never raised a litter for profit, as said before, that's nearly impossible. I always tried to breed to the best I could find and try to raise something better than what I had. I liken buying a puppy to buying a scratch off lottery ticket, you never know what you're gonna get. Get what you can out of your pups. Remember, when you buy a pup, you're getting a puppy from the sire and dam, and you're not getting the sire and dam. If you get 2 good coon dogs from a litter and some average ones, that's not too bad. Once in a while a super pup will surface but they're not as common as you would think. Good luck on you endeavor.

Old Post 08-06-2019 10:11 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

I enjoy training pups and it takes a lot of patience and can be enjoyable if you don't get to upset when your pup doesn't do everything you exspect,its just like raising a child one step at a time.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 08-06-2019 11:07 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

I might add she has been bred once when she was Just a GrNt with a very good male but unknown. She has proven herself with some nice young hounds and we have a male that I wouldn’t sell. All with big mouths except one that is average.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 08-07-2019 03:54 AM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

I might add she has been bred once when she was Just a GrNt with a very good male but unknown. She has proven herself with some nice young hounds and we have a male that I wouldn’t sell. All with big mouths except one that is average.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 08-07-2019 03:55 AM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Puppy prices

Raising puppies now. They are 5 weeks old. Best I can figure, this is what the cost is as of now. 11 puppies.

$650.00 Vet bill; C-section, and 6 day stay for female that had pups.
$610.00 Supplies to bottle feed 11 pups for 4 weeks.
$50.00 Puppy chow last 1 1/2 weeks.
$25.00 Nemex 2 wormer (last two weeks need another bottle now)
$125.00 Shots for 11 puppies.
$160.00 reg and perform fee (includes the studs perform for the year.
________

$1618.00

And the time to care for these little fellows, you can put a price on that.
Week 1, bottle feeding every 2 hours.
Week 2, 4-5 bottle feeding a day.
Week 3, 4 bottle feeding a day and start on soaked puppy chow and
keep fresh water.
Week 4, Soaked puppy Chow 3 times a day, all they can eat, and
fresh water 24/7. Introduce them to dry Puppy chow.
Week 5, Soaked puppy chow morning and evening, and dry puppy
chow at noon. all they can eat. fresh water 24/7.

Old Post 08-07-2019 01:15 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: Puppy prices

quote:
Originally posted by BigContry
Raising puppies now. They are 5 weeks old. Best I can figure, this is what the cost is as of now. 11 puppies.

________

$1618.00

keep fresh water.

I feel your hurt Tommy, been there a few times. It will happen If you raise enough pups but it's gratifying when they mature into coon dogs. You've done a great job raising those pups! It was great meeting you out at Gary's house. Hope your Duke pup is doing well.

Old Post 08-07-2019 02:11 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Puppy prices

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
I feel your hurt Tommy, been there a few times. It will happen If you raise enough pups but it's gratifying when they mature into coon dogs. You've done a great job raising those pups! It was great meeting you out at Gary's house. Hope your Duke pup is doing well.

Thanks. Rhett has Gabe (Duke pup) at his house right now, but as soon as all these pups are gone, I want to bring Gabe to my place to start working with him. Very nice to meet you and David also. hope to get up there one day to hunt with yall.

Old Post 08-07-2019 02:23 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

________

$1618.00

keep fresh water.

Well according to a bunch of guys you have to divide your cost 11 ways. And that's what you should charge. But I believe if you need a top female to a top male, then the price for pups is how much the buyer will pay. I've bought pups from$50 to $2500. And usually if you spend over $500 on a pup you won't just let it sit in the kennel. You're more apt to work said pup.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 08-07-2019 05:55 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:

________

$1618.00

keep fresh water.

That does stink and I hate you are having all that trouble.
But $1618 is $147 a pup and that’s what you have into them right now. Say it takes another $382 dollars to get them to 6 weeks. That’s $2000 dollars and $181 each pup. Sell them for $200 apiece and you make $190 in the clear assuming you keep one for yourself. And have 10 for sale.
Sold for $300- you clear $1,190
$400- $2,190
And so on. Heck these people make more off puppy sales than I even realized! The majority don’t have the cost you have unfortunately accrued with the bad misfortune of c-section. They are making better wages than half of America in there spare time.

I’m not saying you should give them away. I’m just saying people make money on puppies. Coon hunters are the only group that denies it, well, dog hunters in general. Look at any other breed of dogs. And they purposely sell litters out of dogs to recoup money. No need to get into an argument over it. A man can sell them for whatever he desires but he can’t be upset when people use simple math to see that he made a profit.

Old Post 08-07-2019 07:01 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Pup Price

You also need to factor in the stud fee, supplements you gave the female through pregnancy and just plain time raising pups , I'm sure it has been a lot of sleepless nights raising those pups. If the pups are out of good breeding than nobody should expect a cheap pup. If you really want a piece of that good breeding to better your kennel then you should be willing to pay for it. If you think its to much move on and find the next litter. With all that being said a lot of guys will give pups to people they know will hunt them and promote them because they like to see their stock in the winners circle. By those pups winning more people will be contacting them to buy pups, that's where they can start selling pups.

Old Post 08-07-2019 07:12 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

With good luck you can make money and with bad luck you can lose more than money. The best money can be made a year after the first mating or you can learn not to make that same mating again.

Old Post 08-07-2019 07:24 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stxcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

Ive learned after going through many pups that the asking price for them does not reflect whatsoever how they turn out. Ive bought high dollar "good bred" to "PR" and everywhere in between. The fact is most don't make the dog I want so I don't even register them anymore. If they make the dog I'm looking for at 2 years old and I wanna go to a hunt and clean house ill pay the extra money an register them then. Its a lot cheaper than going through ten pups and registering them for a min of $35 a pop then culling them a year later.

Old Post 08-07-2019 08:16 PM
stxcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stxcoonhunter Click here to Send stxcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email stxcoonhunter Find more posts by stxcoonhunter Add stxcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
breezyoaks
UKC Forum Member

Accurate statement

quote:
Originally posted by stxcoonhunter
Ive learned after going through many pups that the asking price for them does not reflect whatsoever how they turn out. Ive bought high dollar "good bred" to "PR" and everywhere in between. The fact is most don't make the dog I want so I don't even register them anymore. If they make the dog I'm looking for at 2 years old and I wanna go to a hunt and clean house ill pay the extra money an register them then. Its a lot cheaper than going through ten pups and registering them for a min of $35 a pop then culling them a year later.

Pretty accurate paragraph all around right there !

Patrick Barrett

Old Post 08-08-2019 04:49 AM
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
With good luck you can make money and with bad luck you can lose more than money.

Amen to this statement! Been on that losing more than money side, nothing good about it.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 08-08-2019 11:50 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by trkrmsy
I would be more worried about who gets them than selling them. I bred my female to Tucker she had 11 pups I sold 7 of them and still took a big loss after all the paperwork and vet bills.
I thought someone that paid for a pup would give them a good chance but the only ones that ever had a decent chance are the 3 I kept myself.
If I had it to do over I would have just made sure they got in good hands.

Well said.

You will never get out of them what you have in them if you get them in people who don't care's hands.

If people could call the people's names who bought a pup from them a year after they sold them, then they made an attempt to do the right thing.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 08-08-2019 10:26 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I used to try to "place" pups but I am about as good at picking owners as I am at picking pups. So I just gave up and started selling them. Every time I placed a pup with a hard hunter, they quit hunting or ran into financial trouble and sold the pup. I once sold a pup to a young girl for a pet. A year later her grandpa called me and told me that it made a real nice coon dog and he was hunting it.

Old Post 08-08-2019 11:06 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

A cost I haven't seen included here is the cost of running around putting titles on the dogs because we all know hardly noone wants to pay for a pup that doesn't have parents with titles. If you don't like the price on a pup don't buy it. No one has any business telling anyone else what their pups are worth.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 08-09-2019 08:01 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote