UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > Cold trailing, dry ground
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
griff
UKC Forum Member

Cold trailing, dry ground

Just moved to western South Dakota from Missouri several months ago. Squirrel dog died not cut it out here. What line of dog will cold trail dry ground and get it done on bobcat and coon?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-25-2018 02:16 PM
griff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for griff Click here to Send griff a Private Message Click Here to Email griff Find more posts by griff Add griff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
griff
UKC Forum Member

I meant the first did not cut it out here, not that he died. Lol good dog, wrong part of the country for what he does. Hammer bred blueticks we're suggested,anyone hunting them out here?

Old Post 09-26-2018 04:44 AM
griff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for griff Click here to Send griff a Private Message Click Here to Email griff Find more posts by griff Add griff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longtail runner
UKC Forum Member

I live in Colorado and run lion and bobcat. I did run Hammer blueticks years ago and they worked. Currently, I am running majestics, Blue gascon, and Cameron cross dogs.

Old Post 10-03-2018 04:20 AM
longtail runner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longtail runner Click here to Send longtail runner a Private Message Click Here to Email longtail runner Find more posts by longtail runner Add longtail runner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
griff
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I have hunted with a local fellow and liked his dogs enough to pick up a young started male from what he had been breeding up. Looking forward to some good hunts!

Old Post 10-03-2018 03:41 PM
John Burns
UKC Forum Member

Cold trailing dry ground

I headed in the Sonoran Desert of Southern Arizona using hammer bread Bluetick's and Redbone's out of the tall timber talker line and the Brunswick little man line. My Redbone's could tree bobcat with these whereas the Bluetick's never trade a bobcat for me. I got rid of my bluetick to a lion hunter who was well pleased with him.
Hundred tell me later on that the bluetick was in on 50 lion kills before he died.

The bottom line is that you need a cold nose dog to trail over the dry hot ground and you can find those in every breed. Old-fashioned Bluetick's such as the Cameron line have a good reputation for good noses.

I have been out of hound hunting for some time but lately I'm thinking of getting back in. There is a man in Utah named Steve Phipps that has a strain of Bluetick's that he advertises and I am thinking of getting one of those. You can get to his website by following the links shown below.

What Legends are made of
Home of “Crazy Cascade Blueticks”
The finest of top-notch, big-game hounds. ccblueticks@yahoo.com
Text (541) 815-6086

Old Post 10-10-2018 06:32 PM
John Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Burns Click here to Send John Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email John Burns Find more posts by John Burns Add John Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gunn308
UKC Forum Member

The best hounds I've ever run with for big game were Nance bred search this site for Nance and Topper Again. We only run in snow but these hounds are smart, cold nosed, fast and have enough grit to get it done.

Old Post 10-13-2018 02:54 AM
gunn308 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gunn308 Click here to Send gunn308 a Private Message Click Here to Email gunn308 Find more posts by gunn308 Add gunn308 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote