UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > What Treeing Walker blood are you using?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

What Treeing Walker blood are you using?

I took my first serious bear hunt this year (W.Va early season) and really enjoyed it. Went with a friend that uses mostly english dogs that they have used for about 15 years or so.
After coon hunting for over 35 years and breeding my own dogs nearly that long, I was surprised by a few things and left scratching my head over others. I know a man can't learn everything about bear hunting in just a few days, so I still have a lot of unanswered questions in my head.
Anyway, the question is this,
What treeing walker blood are you using to successfully tree bear with?
And I'd really like to know specifics, not just "house blood" or "Sackett Jr stuff". I'd like to know what dogs are close up in the best dogs pedigree or what cross produced the best litters of bear dogs. And I'm talking bear dog from rig to bay or tree and everything in between.
PM me if you like, not looking to start a war, knowing what I know about coonhunters is everyone has a little different opinion about what makes a great dog.
Thanks!

Kentucky Houndsmen Assc. Inc.
kyhoundsmen.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-07-2011 01:26 PM
Doug Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Johnson Click here to Send Doug Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Johnson Find more posts by Doug Johnson Add Doug Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bear_n_down
UKC Forum Member

WALKERS

I HAD ALOT OF LUCK WITH PAC MAN AND SACKETT(SR.), SINCE THEN I HAVE CROSS THEM WITH YADKIN RIVER. THE HEAVY YADKIN RIVERS DOGS SEEM TO HAVE ALOT OF DRIVE ON THE TRACK.
COWEE CREEK CLINT SEEMED TO PRODUCE GOOD FOR ME ALSO, STARTS SHOWING INTEREST AT A YOUNG AGE.
ROCK RIVER CORD SEEMS TO BE REPRODUCING BEAR DOGS.
BUT FOR ME I TRY TO FIND GOOD DOGS CLOSE TO HOME AND DOGS I HAVE SEEN GETTING THE JOB DONE.

Old Post 10-07-2011 10:56 PM
bear_n_down is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bear_n_down Click here to Send bear_n_down a Private Message Find more posts by bear_n_down Add bear_n_down to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

bear_n_down, thanks fo the reply.
It makes good sense to use dogs from stock that you personaly witnessed getting the job done. Your comment also makes me wonder about what I'll call regional ability, if dogs do well in N.C., can they perform in Wisconsin as well, or Idaho?
I have the same blood that you listed in my kennel now, Heavy Sackett Jr and Yadkin River with some Lipper blood, no Pacman stuff though, I've been hunting the House and Yadkin River blood since I started.
Can you be more specific about the Yadkin River blood?
In several blood lines, I think there are different stains, or traits, that have shown up, for example, I like Sackett Jr blood but I'm not a fan of the Rat Attack stuff. I like the old Yadkin River blood but prefer the Champ and Tree Blaster blood over the Tar Rattler and Chico stuff.
I've heard that the Rock River Tuck dogs can make bear dogs but not so much with the Tell Sackett dogs.
Are the Clint dogs to big to make great bear dogs?

kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 10-08-2011 11:50 AM
Doug Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Johnson Click here to Send Doug Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Johnson Find more posts by Doug Johnson Add Doug Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bear_n_down
UKC Forum Member

walker dogs

i sent you a pm with my phone number feel free to give me a call

Old Post 10-08-2011 05:51 PM
bear_n_down is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bear_n_down Click here to Send bear_n_down a Private Message Find more posts by bear_n_down Add bear_n_down to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chaos
UKC Forum Member

I have tried everything that bear_n_down
has, but I have found for me that the Bozo blood is better, getting it thru the Stone Moutain Steel side. It is hard to come by anymore but I have a bunch of it in my kennel.

Last edited by Chaos on 10-08-2011 at 08:33 PM

Old Post 10-08-2011 08:28 PM
Chaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chaos Click here to Send Chaos a Private Message Click Here to Email Chaos Find more posts by Chaos Add Chaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bear_n_down
UKC Forum Member

ITS WHAT U LIKE

ITS HARD TO SAY THAT BOZO BLOOD IS BETTER, ITS HARD TO SAY ONE IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER. ITS ALL ABOUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU AND WHAT U HAVE ACCESS TO. SOME PEOPLE LOOKS FOR DIFFERENT THINGS IN THERE PERFORMANCE, I LIKE SPEED AN GRIT, GET IN QUICK AND LET OLE BLACKY KNOW YOUR THERE. I WILL BREED TO A DOG I KNOW BEFORE ONE THAT I DONT.

Old Post 10-08-2011 08:50 PM
Chaos
UKC Forum Member

Easy, easy. That is what I said ...For me they are better.

Old Post 10-08-2011 09:17 PM
Chaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chaos Click here to Send Chaos a Private Message Click Here to Email Chaos Find more posts by Chaos Add Chaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Chaos, I like a shot of the Bozo blood for coonhunting, but it is hard to find close up any more. I've hunted with a few out of Stone Mt Steel that could tree a coon, they were very independant. I would think that would be a bad thing for bear hunting but maybe they're not all like that. They didn't open much on track either, is that a good thing for bear?

kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 10-08-2011 10:06 PM
bear_n_down
UKC Forum Member

WALKER DOGS

FOR ME I WANT A DOG THAT OPENS ENOUGH THAT I CAN TELL WHAT HE IS DOING AND WHERE HE IS GOING. DONT MIND MY LEAD DOG BEING A LITTLE INDEPENANT BUT MOSTLY I WANT MY DOGS WORKING TOGETHER.

Old Post 10-08-2011 10:21 PM
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

bear_n_down, got you pm, I'll give you a call when I can.
I agree with you, hard to say which is better as I know what works for one may not suit the next guy. Same in coonhunting, some my get the coon treed, just not my style doing it.
I'm just trying to get an idea about what has worked well for each hunter and why. I would think most bear hunters breed to, or try pups out of dogs that they have personal knowledge of.
I think more coonhunters should try that and they might have a higher percentage of pups that turn out.
Good information men, thanks!
I've gotten a few pm's also with some specific dogs named, please keep the comments coming. I really want to learn more about what you all look for in a bear dog and what blood it carries.

kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 10-08-2011 10:24 PM
bear_n_down
UKC Forum Member

STONE MTN.

I DID HUNT WITH A DOG THAT WAS OUT STONE MTN. DRUM CROSSED WITH HOUSE BREED FEMALE, HE WAS GOOD HOUND. BUT THATS THE ONLY STONE MTN. DOG I CAN RECALL

Old Post 10-08-2011 10:30 PM
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: WALKER DOGS

We we're both typing at the same time I reckon.

quote:
Originally posted by bear_n_down
FOR ME I WANT A DOG THAT OPENS ENOUGH THAT I CAN TELL WHAT HE IS DOING AND WHERE HE IS GOING. DONT MIND MY LEAD DOG BEING A LITTLE INDEPENANT BUT MOSTLY I WANT MY DOGS WORKING TOGETHER.

This makes since, and is about what I was thinking would work.

Does it seam like louder mouthier dogs make a bear tree faster, or is it just how hard the pressure it?

kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 10-08-2011 10:31 PM
bear_n_down
UKC Forum Member

WALKER DOGS

I LIKE A LOUD MOUTH DOG BUT THE ONE BITING HIS A$$ IS GOING TO MAKE HIM TREE FASTER

Old Post 10-08-2011 10:38 PM
Chaos
UKC Forum Member

Doug, I have the closest living dog to Bozo in the country now, but she is getting up there in age, I am hoping for one last litter this year.
All my Bozo dogs are very INDEPENANT, with big mouths, Cold nose, Great rig dogs,very hard tree dogs with alot of grit.
I liked the Lipper dogs too, they were just a little slower to catch on but very nice track dogs. We had a dog directly out of Lipper and a Lipper bred female.
I hated the Bam Bam dogs, very very slow starting dogs but if they fired they were OK.
The Pac man dogs were too agressive and mostly towards other dogs, but also on the bear too and usually came away with big vet bills. More of a pack dog.
Finely River dogs, I just never had any luck with them.
But those are just what I have had , I am sure there are some good ones, I just never got the right ones.
I hunt bear 4 to 5 months out of the year everyday. And cats the rest of the year, I have to have a dog that will hold up that long.

Old Post 10-08-2011 11:02 PM
bear_n_down
UKC Forum Member

WALKER DOGS

WHAT PART THE COUNTRY ARE YOU FROM CHAOS

Old Post 10-08-2011 11:26 PM
Chaos
UKC Forum Member

I live in North West Colorado.

Old Post 10-09-2011 02:48 AM
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Chaos, sounds like you have a line of dogs that are getting the job done for you. I have a few questions about your line of Bozo bred dogs. If I recall correctly Bozo was out of the original Hickory Nut Harry and Rutuns Bear Creek Princess. To my knowledge old Harry usually threw more of a medium to hot nosed type dog but the cross on Princess that produced Bozo had much better noses.
My question is, what else have you put into your dogs to maintain that colder nose or have you just doubled up on Bozo?
Secondly, do you use the same dogs on cats as you do on bear?

kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 10-09-2011 01:33 PM
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chaos

I liked the Lipper dogs too, they were just a little slower to catch on but very nice track dogs. We had a dog directly out of Lipper and a Lipper bred female.
I hated the Bam Bam dogs, very very slow starting dogs but if they fired they were OK.
The Pac man dogs were too agressive and mostly towards other dogs, but also on the bear too and usually came away with big vet bills. More of a pack dog.
Finely River dogs, I just never had any luck with them.
But those are just what I have had , I am sure there are some good ones, I just never got the right ones.

My thoughts exactly, although I did have some directly out of Lipper that where early starters

kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 10-09-2011 01:38 PM
Chaos
UKC Forum Member

bear_n_down , When I bred my dogs on the Clover ( Wild Card, Logan's Wild Clover)side , getting the Bozo thur that line , I was not happy with the nose, I would concider them to be more on the hot side. When I started breeding on the Stone Mountain Steel side and some of those dogs from Mike Walz , like the Truth dog and the Sis dog, then I got the cold nose I wanted. I just started line breeding from there.
The way I figured it out was...I had a pretty nice dog that was bred Wild Card on top and the Stone Mountain Steel on the Bottom, so I started getting dogs that were bred Wild Card and Clover , I thought that was the quickest way to get to ole Bozo, I quickly dicovered that the nose was not there and was not Happy with the dogs, so I went to the Botom side and cut all the Clover blood out that I could.....I had great results.
Doug, I had alot of Lipper dogs start early then they would be hot one day and duds the next day or hot for a while and duds for a while, never got them steady at it till they were well over a year old. Then when I went to run them on cats I had a hard time getting them to settle down on a track and run a cold track slower so that thye could run it, this did come for them but it was in the 2 year old range. I jsut cant wait that long to see what I have or don't have.
I run my same dogs on Bear, Lion and Bobcat. Most of my cats are run in snow but I run a few cats from time to time in the summer or fall months.
By no means are these the greatest dogs and I am always looking for something better. I take in dogs during the summer to run for guys and I have not seen anything I would trade these dogs for yet.

Old Post 10-09-2011 03:27 PM
bear_n_down
UKC Forum Member

WALKER BLOOD

I STARTED WITH GOOD NOSES THROUGH SACKETT AND I KEPT BREEDING IT BACK INTO THEM. BUT I ALSO ADDED THE TRACK DRIVE AND GRIT. IM NOT SAYING THAT SOME PAC MAN ARE NOT ILL, BUT I HAD LUCK WITH MINE BEING GRITTY BUT NOT ILL. IT WAS GOOD CROSSES THAT HAVE WORKED WELL.

Old Post 10-09-2011 09:59 PM
Chaos
UKC Forum Member

I have learned over the years to be very open minded to what someone else has. If you don't you will never know what you are missing out on.

The old saying " get a dog from the area you hunt in, that is getting it done, it will be the best" That doesn't work for me, I want the best dog and no matter where I go it better preform great, or it will be culled. And if someone else has something better that is what I want .

Dogs are like Race cars, someone will always have something faster, stronger, better. If you don't keep on the top of the game you will be the looser.

Old Post 10-09-2011 10:28 PM
WILDHORSE
UKC Forum Member

outstanding cross

Seems I have made an outstanding cross at 7 mnths old my pups are on the tree with the older dogs. at a year old they are catching and pulling hair. My male is Hardwood out of wild clover. my female is stylish grand daughter of stylish hickory nut harry. These pups are getting it done

Old Post 10-09-2011 10:31 PM
WILDHORSE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WILDHORSE Click here to Send WILDHORSE a Private Message Click Here to Email WILDHORSE Find more posts by WILDHORSE Add WILDHORSE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C. Burns 17
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Dogs are like Race cars, someone will always have something faster, stronger, better. If you don't keep on the top of the game you will be the looser.

very well said !

LightNing~StrIke~KenNels

Old Post 10-10-2011 12:14 AM
C. Burns 17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C. Burns 17 Click here to Send C. Burns 17 a Private Message Click Here to Email C. Burns 17 Find more posts by C. Burns 17 Add C. Burns 17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KardinalKennels

quote:
I have learned over the years to be very open minded to what someone else has. If you don't you will never know what you are missing out on.

The old saying " get a dog from the area you hunt in, that is getting it done, it will be the best" That doesn't work for me, I want the best dog and no matter where I go it better preform great, or it will be culled. And if someone else has something better that is what I want .

x3 on that...I am blue thru and thru, but know a good dogs when I see them, C. Burns your on the right track with your pack, nice handling dogs with grit.

Old Post 10-10-2011 12:46 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I couldn't agree more with this comment Chaos!
That is why I started this thread on here. I think I know what bloodlines to look at, but trying to keep an open mind.
I'm like a kindergardener taking a college class, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.
Secondly, I've coonhunted from Michigan to Florida, from the coast of the Carolina's to Arkansas/Mo. and every state in between. I have no use for a dog that looks good only at home.
I believe a dog might have to adjust to the terrain, but a bear or coon smells the same everywhere you go.
And last, your race car comment hits it dead on, but what I've found with most folks that "think" they are breeders is that they are struggling just to maintain what they have. Most get lucky to make a cross that improves what they started with.
Bottom line for me is "one hit wonders" don't get it.
I'm looking for a solid line that has a high percentage that make above average bear dogs that suit the hard to please.

Please keep the comments and recommendations coming!

kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 10-10-2011 01:55 PM