UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dew Claw Removal
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jonathan Crump
UKC Forum Member

Dew Claw Removal

Anyone ever thought about removing dew claws? I got one that climbs some and am just wondering if removing the dew claws would slow down or stop the climbing?

Bluetick Hound
Liz (Davis Creek So Blue Slug x Watsons Smoky Mtn Blue Zip)

Gone but never forgotten
Briar (Andersons Screaming Blue Zues X Triple D All Grand Puddles)
Blue (Thunder St. Nick X Fosters Little Frosty)

Proudly use and sale
Nite Rider Hollow Lights

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-19-2013 01:05 PM
Jonathan Crump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan Crump Click here to Send Jonathan Crump a Private Message Click Here to Email Jonathan Crump Find more posts by Jonathan Crump Add Jonathan Crump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

You know the Primary function of the Dew Claws was to hold large pieces of Meat so the Canine could pull off smaller pieces .. When was the last time you gave your hound a Large hunk of Meat ??

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 03-19-2013 01:12 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike_Kelley
UKC Forum Member

That might help , I was told to just keep there nails trimmed as short as possible . Almost to the point where they bleed . Don't know , just heard it works .

Old Post 03-19-2013 01:13 PM
Mike_Kelley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike_Kelley Click here to Send Mike_Kelley a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike_Kelley Find more posts by Mike_Kelley Add Mike_Kelley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan Crump
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Majestic Tree H
You know the Primary function of the Dew Claws was to hold large pieces of Meat so the Canine could pull off smaller pieces .. When was the last time you gave your hound a Large hunk of Meat ??

Interesting I give them raw meat but not that big.

Bluetick Hound

Gone but never forgotten

Proudly use and sale
Nite Rider Hollow Lights

Old Post 03-19-2013 01:16 PM
Jonathan Crump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan Crump Click here to Send Jonathan Crump a Private Message Click Here to Email Jonathan Crump Find more posts by Jonathan Crump Add Jonathan Crump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke6017
UKC Forum Member

A lot of times in other breeds dew claws are removed at a very early age. Can you still remove them when they are full grown?

Old Post 03-19-2013 01:18 PM
Duke6017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke6017 Click here to Send Duke6017 a Private Message Click Here to Email Duke6017 Visit Duke6017's homepage! Find more posts by Duke6017 Add Duke6017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VaBirdDog
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dew Claw Removal

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Crump
Anyone ever thought about removing dew claws? I got one that climbs some and am just wondering if removing the dew claws would slow down or stop the climbing?

Done all the time to bird dogs. Nipped off with clippers when real little pup. Once the bone is formed a little more involved but still not too much trouble some are still floating. If you have a climber it will make no difference at all to remove them. They will still climb.

Old Post 03-19-2013 01:22 PM
VaBirdDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VaBirdDog Click here to Send VaBirdDog a Private Message Find more posts by VaBirdDog Add VaBirdDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan Crump
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dew Claw Removal

quote:
Originally posted by VaBirdDog
Done all the time to bird dogs. Nipped off with clippers when real little pup. Once the bone is formed a little more involved but still not too much trouble some are still floating. If you have a climber it will make no difference at all to remove them. They will still climb.

I reckon Tri Tronics and myself will have to break him then. I try to keep his nails trimmed short but even that sometimes doesn't stop him.

Bluetick Hound

Gone but never forgotten

Proudly use and sale
Nite Rider Hollow Lights

Old Post 03-19-2013 01:27 PM
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dew Claw Removal

quote:
Originally posted by VaBirdDog

how do you clip them? I have always taken them to the vet, but would like to save some money if I could do it myself, thanks

Old Post 03-19-2013 03:34 PM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
headless01
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Duke6017
A lot of times in other breeds dew claws are removed at a very early age. Can you still remove them when they are full grown?
yea my vet did it for me, cost $83 dollars a piece.

Old Post 03-19-2013 03:39 PM
headless01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for headless01 Click here to Send headless01 a Private Message Click Here to Email headless01 Find more posts by headless01 Add headless01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Diggerman
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Dew Claw Removal

quote:
Originally posted by Outback1
how do you clip them? I have always taken them to the vet, but would like to save some money if I could do it myself, thanks

I have never done it but my vet said "nail clippers before 3 days old"

Old Post 03-19-2013 05:57 PM
Diggerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diggerman Click here to Send Diggerman a Private Message Click Here to Email Diggerman Find more posts by Diggerman Add Diggerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Common Practice in Field Trial Dogs

Under 3 days, pair of sharp sidecuts. We also bobed tails on beagles to which prevent bloody tail by whipping just the end.

I had it done to my 8 month old lab-mastif-bulldog because when she played she would grab you with paws and cut you with dew claws. They put her to sleep and did it was $100 worked great fixed problem.

Jeff A.

Old Post 03-19-2013 06:40 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

Get your package?

Old Post 03-19-2013 07:03 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan Crump
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J Gearing
Get your package?

Yes Thank You Check is in the mail.

Bluetick Hound

Gone but never forgotten

Proudly use and sale
Nite Rider Hollow Lights

Old Post 03-19-2013 07:16 PM
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

Good deal. Hope it helps. Jim

Old Post 03-19-2013 08:39 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by headless01
yea my vet did it for me, cost $83 dollars a piece.
clip with nail clippers as soon as they are born do it all the time.

Old Post 03-20-2013 03:26 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

I do mine the day after they are born, nail clippers worked the best because it pinches them off and almost seels it. I tried side cutters to but left a bigger scar and more of an open wound. I've done them at 3 days and it's much harder you wouldn't belive how fast they grow. I take mine off because i've had dogs get them caught in fences while hunting, talk about a mess. Also you have to make sure you get all of the bone or there will be a bump.

Old Post 03-23-2013 04:28 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote