UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Timeout scenario
How are the pending strike points scored?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
A) All pending strike points are deleted? 6 8.57%
B) All pending strike points are circled? 0 0%
C) All pending strike points are minused? 32 45.71%
D) Timeout can not be called because wanting to move is not a legitimate reason for calling timeout? 32 45.71%
Total: 70 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Timeout scenario

There is 16 minutes left in a cast and the eight is working on and off on the struck dogs. None of the dogs have plus points. The cast agrees to call timeout to move because they feel that their chances of treeing a coon would be better if they did. How are the pending strike points scored?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-24-2018 05:23 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

I would have to go with D.

Old Post 06-24-2018 05:37 PM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

C

BY YOUR Scenario C

319-201-8445

Old Post 06-24-2018 06:16 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I am pretty sure you can call time out, but with consequences. All dogs struck in get minused.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 06-24-2018 07:03 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

can't do that

Plain and simple you don't get to call a time out because after you cut you decided your short dog power and want to go find a hot track. Most claim either trailing on posted land or dog endanger, then you delete according to rule 5 g. Rule 7 on the score card list all the reasons you can call a time out

Old Post 06-24-2018 10:41 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Those who vote that timeout can’t be called where would rule 4e be used?

4. POINTS WILL BE MINUS
Strike Minus:
(e) For calling dogs off trail.

Old Post 06-25-2018 12:19 AM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

I might have been wrong

But if you use 4 e than it don't help most of the time because you still can't call time out 7 c when all dogs are on leash and have been scored so I guess go ahead minus them catch all the hounds and then call time if you want

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 06-25-2018 at 12:44 AM

Old Post 06-25-2018 12:36 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There used to be a rule that said that you could call time out "if new ground must be found to continue or finish a hunt". What happened to that? With today's no return dogs why shouldn't you be able to call time out when the dogs have covered a spot and nothing is moving or they can't get treed?

Old Post 06-25-2018 04:14 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

In the real world of nite hunt competition, you can always come up with an excuse to call time if a majority wants to. But in the example used here, any dog struck is gonna have to take minus strike points.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 06-25-2018 04:37 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
......In the real world of nite hunt competition.....

Oh my goodness, I can't believe that someone had the nerve to put that on the message board. Are you trying to suggest that on the one hand there is the fantasy world of message board coonhunting but on the other hand there is the real world of competition coonhunting?

Old Post 06-25-2018 05:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

the real world of nite hunt competition

Just wondering when you say the real world of nite hunt competition do you mean the ,as long as the majority vote to disregard some of the rules hunt and may the best dog win, or do you mean the just sit in the truck and may the best dog win the coin flip. Cheating is cheating, at that point circle that toothpick, plus that possum, call time when it's convenient, don't look in that hole, heck go ahead plus it up he could be there, or just flip a coin, and than wonder why some nite champions got their title. Like I said just wondering which one you meant with that phrase? By the way just wondering in this example when would you call time and under which letter in rule 7 would you use to call?

Old Post 06-25-2018 11:41 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Just go by the honor system!

Old Post 06-25-2018 11:58 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
..... But in the example used here, any dog struck is gonna have to take minus strike points.

If you play by the rules this is what should happen.

Old Post 06-26-2018 02:35 AM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

again

And when are you calling time and what rule are you using if your playing by the rules ukc set

Old Post 06-26-2018 01:20 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Hmmm at this rate the hunt would be over for sure before a decision could be reached. Wonder if a unhunting judge was being used what they would say? And yeah still waiting on that ruler to be revealed.

Old Post 06-26-2018 09:30 PM
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

By looking at the votes it is pretty close to a 50/50 split on minusing the pending strikes and timeout is not allowed. This is a scenario that came up recently on a cast that I was the hunting judge. I scored it as pending strikes were minused. One of the handlers felt that if timeout was called pending strikes should be deleted. The question was dropped when it didn’t affect the outcome of the cast. I felt fairly confident that I made the right call but after reading the rules closer I’m not 100% sure. I still feel that 4e allows for the dogs to be called in and handled. Then timeout can be called in accordance with 7c. Allen what is your take on this?

Old Post 06-27-2018 02:18 AM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

I would like to know what Allen has to say as well. Seen it done before alot of different ways. Just wondering in accordance with rule 7c did you call time before or after you had all dos leashed.

Old Post 06-27-2018 12:54 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

What Allen has to say on this is going to have little effect on what happens in the real world of comp coonhunting. If everyone is willing to take their minus, you call time out. If their conscience will let them come up with an excuse by the rules, they just call time out. If someone objects you just stand there and let the time run until the hunt is over. Now, you don't need Allen for that.

Old Post 06-27-2018 02:18 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
[ Now, you don't need Allen for that. [/B]
yep just like if the cast agrees you dont have to tree a coon to win😊

Old Post 06-27-2018 03:49 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
yep just like if the cast agrees you dont have to tree a coon to win😊

Oh my goodness, don't need Allen for that either. Everybody knows the answer to that. You don't call time out, you get a time out.

Old Post 06-27-2018 04:13 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
. If someone objects you just stand there and let the time run .
I thought you would scartch that person for unsportsmanlike behavior than vote again 😉

Old Post 06-27-2018 04:52 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Jgarrett
By looking at the votes it is pretty close to a 50/50 split on minusing the pending strikes and timeout is not allowed. This is a scenario that came up recently on a cast that I was the hunting judge. I scored it as pending strikes were minused. One of the handlers felt that if timeout was called pending strikes should be deleted. The question was dropped when it didn’t affect the outcome of the cast. I felt fairly confident that I made the right call but after reading the rules closer I’m not 100% sure. I still feel that 4e allows for the dogs to be called in and handled. Then timeout can be called in accordance with 7c. Allen what is your take on this?

Good call Jgarrett. All dogs are accountable for their strike points, given your scenario. Your scenario doesn't give you the option to call time out AND delete strike points. Rule 4(e) applies.

Old Post 06-27-2018 06:09 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Allen when do you get to stop the clock when you minus them or when you get all the dogs handled and leashed? Just want to know in case it comes up one night. Thanks

Old Post 06-27-2018 06:58 PM
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
Allen when do you get to stop the clock when you minus them or when you get all the dogs handled and leashed? Just want to know in case it comes up one night. Thanks
i'm not allen but here is how it should be handled call time out minus dogs you have one hour to get your dog and return predesignated spot or be scratched for delaying cast

Old Post 06-27-2018 07:39 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, there you go...UKC has "ruled". You can call time out just as has always been done "in the real world". But you have to minus the strikes.

Old Post 06-27-2018 08:00 PM