UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Beagles vs Coonhounds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Matt Mays
UKC Forum Member

Beagles vs Coonhounds

Looking at the final four of the Beagle World Championship i notice there are two 1y/o and two 2y/o.... My question is do the beagle seem to start and finish earlier than coonhound? I've never messed with beagles and was just curious

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2010 03:54 AM
Matt Mays is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Mays Click here to Send Matt Mays a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Mays Find more posts by Matt Mays Add Matt Mays to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lakeland Kennel
Banned

I have Champion beagles as well as Champion coon hounds, so I feel qualified to answer your question. Yes, beagles are much easier to train tham coon hounds. And, they mature quicker. Basically, all a beagle has to learn is how to hunt and how to run a track. A coon hound has to do these things plus tree and stay treed, which is much more difficult.

Breeding plays a big role in how early beagles and coon hounds start. Some folks breed for early starters. Intelligence is another big factor. And, the guy training the dogs is a factor.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Old Post 10-05-2010 12:07 PM
Lakeland Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lakeland Kennel Click here to Send Lakeland Kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email Lakeland Kennel Find more posts by Lakeland Kennel Add Lakeland Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

Yup , because it comes more natural to them.
It comes from years and years of breeding rabbit dog to rabbit dog.
It's a whole lot easier to make excuses for a dog when you're hunting them at night.
Hunting in the daylight , they either do it or they don't.
Heck , even most bird dog pups make a bird dog of some kind.

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 10-05-2010 01:24 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42
It's a whole lot easier to make excuses for a dog when you're hunting them at night.

I agree about it being much easier to know exactly what a beagle is doing because of daylight also most chases circle within hearing. I've never seen a beagle that wouldn't at least run a rabbit........some not as good as others of course but all I have ever owned could at least run them.

Old Post 10-05-2010 01:28 PM
perry co cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry co cooner Click here to Send perry co cooner a Private Message Find more posts by perry co cooner Add perry co cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barryg35
UKC Forum Member

matt our rabbit dogs (beagles) are very easy to start. like some said above with good breeding its almost natural to them. i've got one here i took to the corner beagle club 3 times and she was running rabbits like she was on fire. i've never really had to "train" one.

Old Post 10-05-2010 02:24 PM
barryg35 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barryg35 Click here to Send barryg35 a Private Message Click Here to Email barryg35 Find more posts by barryg35 Add barryg35 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvhoundsman
UKC Forum Member

i have beagles, foxhounds and coondawgs and comp hunt them all and hands down foxhounds and beagles are easier to to train.

Old Post 10-05-2010 02:39 PM
wvhoundsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvhoundsman Click here to Send wvhoundsman a Private Message Click Here to Email wvhoundsman Visit wvhoundsman's homepage! Find more posts by wvhoundsman Add wvhoundsman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Casey_Lee
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42

You can also factor in that a lot of beagle guys hunt in a larger pack or groups than coon hunters do.....that alone will cover the faults of the weaker links. Of course there are the guys who do hunt theirs alone and know more about their beagles just like their are some coon hunters who know more about their hounds because they hunt them alone.

Old Post 10-05-2010 05:16 PM
Casey_Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Casey_Lee Click here to Send Casey_Lee a Private Message Click Here to Email Casey_Lee Find more posts by Casey_Lee Add Casey_Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barryg35
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Casey_Lee
You can also factor in that a lot of beagle guys hunt in a larger pack or groups than coon hunters do.....that alone will cover the faults of the weaker links. Of course there are the guys who do hunt theirs alone and know more about their beagles just like their are some coon hunters who know more about their hounds because they hunt them alone.
thats very true. we always "pack" hunt our beagles. we do not comp hunt them so there isnt a need to single them out. just like with our deer dogs. we have "jump" dogs and those that will smoke a track once it gets going.

Old Post 10-05-2010 05:49 PM
barryg35 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barryg35 Click here to Send barryg35 a Private Message Click Here to Email barryg35 Find more posts by barryg35 Add barryg35 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rabbitman85
UKC Forum Member

From my experience beagles are much easier and faster. But on the other hand they are alot harder to break off trash, mainly deer. Every beagle I have ever had would at one point run a deer and it is tuff to break them. All the coonhounds ive had, ive never really had a problem with deer just possums but id beat em off a couple of possum trees and shoot a few coons out and they would be ok. Im not sayin there aint exeptions in both breeds. Ive seen beagle that absolutely have no intrest in deer, and ive seen coonhounds that would absolutely burn a deer or possum up and you couldnt break them if you wanted. Both is a breeding and bloodline thing I beleive. If a man thats an @$$ hole has a child most of the time its gonna be a @$$ hole also lol.

PR BLACK LABELS WIPEOUT KID (RIP)
PR BLACK LABELS WIPEOUT KATE

Old Post 10-05-2010 11:12 PM
rabbitman85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rabbitman85 Click here to Send rabbitman85 a Private Message Click Here to Email rabbitman85 Find more posts by rabbitman85 Add rabbitman85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

beagle verses coonhound

i agree a beagle is easier to start than most hound pups but not always i had a beagle female that was a good bred female a rabbit could run right in front of her she would stand there and watch it go she was 6 months old hunted her till she was a year old gave her to a couple for a pet she just never showed any interst

Old Post 10-06-2010 12:31 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lakeland Kennel
Banned

Here is a clip of me running my beagles today. It is not great camera work and the brush hides a lot of the action. As you can tell by the video, I like fast beagles with bawl mouths. Any of my beagles could win a Bench Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEv5MAJ8Hhc

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Old Post 10-06-2010 01:10 AM
Lakeland Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lakeland Kennel Click here to Send Lakeland Kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email Lakeland Kennel Find more posts by Lakeland Kennel Add Lakeland Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote