UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many would?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

How many would?

Just curious as to how many people on here would still coonhunt if there was no such thing as a competition hunt? I would.

I know I'm in the minority because I walk hunt, like closer hunting dogs, prefer silent dogs and clean every coon that I catch for the meat.

I don't deer hunt, turkey hunt, fish or play golf....I COON HUNT! I started hunting with my father and have been hunting my own dogs for over 40 years. I do enjoy coming on here and reading the posts, even the ones about Comp hunting. I do belong to the closest club to me and try to make it to all of the meetings and hunts....I enjoy the company of other coonhunters.

The award that I like to get doesn't involve winning money or a trophy. The award that I like to receive is that feeling you get when a pup that was born on your place trees it's first coon. That's what I do this for!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-10-2019 05:06 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I would love to hunt with you just pleasure hunting and we would have a good time buuuuuuuuut I ain’t eating no coon !!

Tar

Old Post 09-10-2019 05:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: How many would?

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
Just curious as to how many people on here would still coonhunt if there was no such thing as a competition hunt? I would.

I know I'm in the minority because I walk hunt, like closer hunting dogs, prefer silent dogs and clean every coon that I catch for the meat.

I don't deer hunt, turkey hunt, fish or play golf....I COON HUNT! I started hunting with my father and have been hunting my own dogs for over 40 years. I do enjoy coming on here and reading the posts, even the ones about Comp hunting. I do belong to the closest club to me and try to make it to all of the meetings and hunts....I enjoy the company of other coonhunters.

The award that I like to get doesn't involve winning money or a trophy. The award that I like to receive is that feeling you get when a pup that was born on your place trees it's first coon. That's what I do this for!

I could have written this...…..except for the coon eating part.

Old Post 09-10-2019 05:22 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: How many would?

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I could have written this...…..except for the coon eating part.

X3

402-209-5053

Old Post 09-10-2019 07:48 PM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

X4

Glad to hear there is another ME.
Randi

Old Post 09-10-2019 09:01 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgan branch
UKC Forum Member

I will coon hunt till I am no longer able.. It's my peace, where I can get my mind right. I comp hunt as well, but I hunt for the love of the hound. Several nights a week and year round. I deal with people all day and would much prefer to just deal with my hounds. My dad and granddad weren't coonhunters but something down inside me had the yearning for the sound of a hound. Bought my first hound at 11 years old, I'm 46 now and have never been without a hound since. My kids all have taken after my tradition though and are all avid hound hunters. 1 son and 3 daughters all grown and all like to chase a hound.. I was blessed beyond measure.

Old Post 09-10-2019 09:01 PM
morgan branch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgan branch Click here to Send morgan branch a Private Message Find more posts by morgan branch Add morgan branch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I coon hunted over 20 yrs before I ever heard of a nite hunt.SO reckon I will until I can't. If you like the hunts, hope you get too go forever. NO coon eater here.

Old Post 09-10-2019 09:51 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

coonhunted for over close to 60 yrs. started with grandpa back in 60s ! coonhunt until I cant go. competition hunts end tomorrow I would still be coonhunting next night. way of life for me always was always will be.

Old Post 09-10-2019 09:57 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

I would hunt without comp hunt. However I go to hunts because my dog deserve to show what he has. Plus usuly 90% of the time I meet great guys and have fun just like pleasure hunting you just call your dog.

Old Post 09-10-2019 10:00 PM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevwallace
UKC Forum Member

quote:

X2 except for the eating.

Old Post 09-10-2019 10:35 PM
stevwallace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stevwallace Click here to Send stevwallace a Private Message Click Here to Email stevwallace Find more posts by stevwallace Add stevwallace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

For me pleasure hunting has always been better than competition. Had plenty of stress at work. Always hunted to relax.

Old Post 09-10-2019 11:44 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
For me pleasure hunting has always been better than competition. Had plenty of stress at work. Always hunted to relax.

X10 buddy , now how about $78 to take that Shack pup off your hands , I am getting concerned he might be giving Preacher a complex. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 09-11-2019 12:40 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
X10 buddy , now how about $78 to take that Shack pup off your hands , I am getting concerned he might be giving Preacher a complex. LOL

Hope he does so good he makes Preacher ashamed of himself but really don't think that will happen. But he is an exciting pup for 8 months old. Can get treed in a heartbeat with a coon.

Old Post 09-11-2019 01:01 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

I hunt for the pleasure of hunting with the hounds. I enjoy some comp hunts once in a while but my hearing is not sharp enough anymore to do the dogs justice in the hunts. Pleasure hunting l dont have to worry about calling my dog. Just listen and enjoy! Been running hounds since l was 11 years old so going on 50 years now with the hounds.

Old Post 09-11-2019 01:30 AM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Absolutely would still coonhunt

Old Post 09-11-2019 02:11 AM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

walk huntin

This is the way my dad and allen white hunted am still huntin that way and always will and still producing dogs here that is like that thanks tim

Old Post 09-11-2019 02:28 AM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Coon hunting is a way of life for me i thank god every day for still being able to follow a hound.i love to see a young dog do what it is bred to do I hunt pretty much the same line of hounds for years and it amazes me how they all start about the same and have the same traits laid back early starting dogs that have a coon in their tree.

Old Post 09-11-2019 02:55 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I would walk from the house, use a 2 cell flashlight, and lead my dog with a grass string to go coon hunting if I had too.

Actually back when I done that it was more fun

Old Post 09-11-2019 03:10 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Been coon hunting for over 25 years, never been to a competition hunt!

Old Post 09-11-2019 03:12 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I like what you said...and I’ll take a well bred hunting dog over a well bred competition hunting dog...

Old Post 09-12-2019 02:24 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I like what you said...and I’ll take a well bred hunting dog over a well bred competition hunting dog...

Old Post 09-12-2019 02:24 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote