UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How smart is your hound at finishing the kill.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tailkicker
UKC Forum Member

How smart is your hound at finishing the kill.

I watched a small female several years ago that circled a very large coon for about 5mins and then with one quick move she had a hold of his throat and finished him.. I was very impressed.

Thought this video was cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9dGt8pwfw

Jeremiah CL Johnson
My Email
Johnson Branch Treeing Walkers Est. 1980

Kentucky Houndsmen Association Inc.
Kentucky Houndsmen Association Foundation for Sportsman Rights Inc.
"Dedicated to protecting the heritage of Kentucky Houndsmen"

KHA Website

Join the NRA

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-24-2010 01:44 AM
Tailkicker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tailkicker Click here to Send Tailkicker a Private Message Click Here to Email Tailkicker Visit Tailkicker's homepage! Find more posts by Tailkicker Add Tailkicker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaws
UKC Forum Member

cool vid! That wasnt her first rodeo!

Old Post 10-24-2010 02:00 AM
jaws is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jaws Click here to Send jaws a Private Message Click Here to Email jaws Find more posts by jaws Add jaws to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Gilland
UKC Forum Member

Its amazeing how smart animals are!! Good video.

Old Post 10-24-2010 02:28 AM
Steve Gilland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Gilland Click here to Send Steve Gilland a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Gilland Find more posts by Steve Gilland Add Steve Gilland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

if someone would just teach the wildo beast to fight, they could give the lion a hard time. but they give up too soon or are too tentative. like possums, they don't even try to fight.

Old Post 10-24-2010 03:57 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

wouldnt be much of a tree dog.the fun is over after you pull
the trigger

Old Post 10-24-2010 04:57 AM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan Crump
UKC Forum Member

I had one that would circle the coon for a few minutes then like a snake strike he would grab the coons head from the side and clamp the mouth shut and then it was crunch.

Bluetick Hound
Liz (Davis Creek So Blue Slug x Watsons Smoky Mtn Blue Zip)

Gone but never forgotten
Briar (Andersons Screaming Blue Zues X Triple D All Grand Puddles)
Blue (Thunder St. Nick X Fosters Little Frosty)

Proudly use and sale
Nite Rider Hollow Lights

Old Post 10-24-2010 04:59 AM
Jonathan Crump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan Crump Click here to Send Jonathan Crump a Private Message Click Here to Email Jonathan Crump Find more posts by Jonathan Crump Add Jonathan Crump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluwalker
UKC Forum Member

All of mine go for the kill somewhere in the tail region lol!

Old Post 10-28-2010 05:31 AM
Bluwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluwalker Click here to Send Bluwalker a Private Message Click Here to Email Bluwalker Find more posts by Bluwalker Add Bluwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big Bawler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bluwalker

i know what ya mean.....hey...them teeth is sharp

NITECH SILVERTONE REBEL YELL (never forgotten 1/3/10)
NORTHERN LIGHTS SHOOTER
NORTHERN LIGHTS SHIFTER
if it aint broke, fix it till it is...

Old Post 10-28-2010 01:54 PM
Big Bawler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big Bawler Click here to Send Big Bawler a Private Message Find more posts by Big Bawler Add Big Bawler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

Mine are real smart. They wait for me to finish it with the gun

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Old Post 10-28-2010 04:50 PM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bluwalker

That's mines method also..................gets her ears and lips bit up quite a bit but she must like the method because she hasn't changed yet. lol

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:07 PM
perry co cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry co cooner Click here to Send perry co cooner a Private Message Find more posts by perry co cooner Add perry co cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

COme to think about it mine also goes for the back leg a lot too. Maybe she's trying for that big artery that runs down the leg. Oh well she's paid to tree 'em it's my job to kill them so I'm not complaining.

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:08 PM
perry co cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry co cooner Click here to Send perry co cooner a Private Message Find more posts by perry co cooner Add perry co cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

If you as the shooter are doing your job they don't have to be smart about where they grab them.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:15 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey bourne
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
If you as the shooter are doing your job they don't have to be smart about where they grab them.

Hobo call me mean but I shoot em in the legs on purpose. Thats when I shoot one. My dog doesn't get much fur in his mouth.

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:32 PM
joey bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey bourne Click here to Send joey bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email joey bourne Find more posts by joey bourne Add joey bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey bourne
Hobo call me mean but I shoot em in the legs on purpose. Thats when I shoot one. My dog doesn't get much fur in his mouth.

I know alot of people that do it that way. I'm just saying it's their job to tree them and our job to shoot them out to them.

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:39 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

If you really want to challenge them just shoot close to the coon and squall him down....

I'd be willing to bet the dog's don't need the fight near as much as their owners need the fight.

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:46 PM
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I know alot of people that do it that way. I'm just saying it's their job to tree them and our job to shoot them out to them.

I'm not a finished shooter yet I'm just lightly started!!!!!

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:47 PM
joey bourne
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If you really want to challenge them just shoot close to the coon and squall him down....

I'd be willing to bet the dog's don't need the fight near as much as their owners need the fight.

LOL our coons don't weigh 25 and pounds like the northern veriaty does. They are mean anogh I could imagine what them monsters could do to a hound.

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:52 PM
joey bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey bourne Click here to Send joey bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email joey bourne Find more posts by joey bourne Add joey bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by perry co cooner
I'm not a finished shooter yet I'm just lightly started!!!!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:52 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I don't want to give the impression that I knock out every single coon dead.... But on the other hand I don't get upset at my dog's if I have to put a finishing shot off in the coon either. I could care less if they are a good kill dog or not. BUT most dog's will become kill dog's if they have a few fights and a little bit of brain.

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 10-28-2010 06:57 PM
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I don't want to give the impression that I knock out every single coon dead.... But on the other hand I don't get upset at my dog's if I have to put a finishing shot off in the coon either. I could care less if they are a good kill dog or not.

I don't knock every one out dead either , but I do try. LOL
I haven't seen a coon yet that is worth a trip to the vets office. And I have seen several "kill" dogs that had to make that $100 trip ! LOL

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 10-28-2010 09:34 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greg stull
Banned

WAIT'S FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT AND STRIKES LIKE A KING COBRA.

Old Post 10-28-2010 09:52 PM
greg stull is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greg stull Click here to Send greg stull a Private Message Click Here to Email greg stull Find more posts by greg stull Add greg stull to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffm
UKC Forum Member

The best coondog I ever had was the worst kill dog.... The best kill dog I had only got to kill one if something else treed it. LOL!!!! I try to kill them dead also.

Old Post 10-28-2010 10:25 PM
jeffm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeffm Click here to Send jeffm a Private Message Click Here to Email jeffm Find more posts by jeffm Add jeffm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brady8687
UKC Forum Member

My oldest females first, kinda had me worried cause all the blood. She hit in the tail and it wrapped up on her like a boa. Them ears really bleed.Nothing flour an pressure couldnt stop but she still has the split

Old Post 10-28-2010 10:30 PM
brady8687 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brady8687 Click here to Send brady8687 a Private Message Click Here to Email brady8687 Find more posts by brady8687 Add brady8687 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNTNA
New UKC Forum Member

kill dog....

mine couldnt kill a rabbit.....

Old Post 10-28-2010 11:31 PM
TNTNA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNTNA Click here to Send TNTNA a Private Message Click Here to Email TNTNA Find more posts by TNTNA Add TNTNA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamie stall
Banned

if you call grabbing it by the ass and getting chewed on smart, i have got the smartest dog in the world

Old Post 10-28-2010 11:32 PM
jamie stall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamie stall Click here to Send jamie stall a Private Message Click Here to Email jamie stall Find more posts by jamie stall Add jamie stall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote