UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Eye Injury
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tillery
UKC Forum Member

Eye Injury

Anyone have any experience dealing with eye injury/infection in your hounds? What are your thoughts on these pics? 7 month old pup, he just came home from a 20 day stay at the vet. They have done pretty much all they can. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Will it get any better? Will he end up losing the eye? The vet says it could go either way. Anyone ever dealt with something similar?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-26-2022 04:59 PM
Tillery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tillery Click here to Send Tillery a Private Message Click Here to Email Tillery Find more posts by Tillery Add Tillery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

I had a hound get smacked by a bear and sustained a similar injury. Went to the vet they did what they could, she was a good prospect so I gave her the benefit of the doubt. Her eye was similar to your pic and cloudy to the point that it didn’t reflect light in the dark. The vet sold me an ointment that I applied once a day and after about a month she was almost back to normal. There’s one little cloudy spec, but she seems to see fine and she even looks like a 2 eyed dog coming in the dark now. But like the vet said I’d say it could go either way. Best of luck to ya.

Old Post 01-26-2022 06:02 PM
5thgearwide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thgearwide Click here to Send 5thgearwide a Private Message Find more posts by 5thgearwide Add 5thgearwide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Like the vet said, sometimes they regain sight and sometimes they don't. Only being able to see out of one eye doesn't bother them very much. They adapt. I had one that you would never know except one eye did not reflect light. If you don't let it bother you, it won't bother them.

Old Post 01-26-2022 08:01 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Had this

Similar injury and my gyp’s eye got a little better each week and finally totally healed up! Hope you have same result.

Old Post 01-26-2022 10:55 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Vines
UKC Forum Member

I have a 2 year old female that had an eye injury similar to yours, hers slowly got worse and my vet eventually removed it. The vet thought that something must have been broken off in her eye, such as a small stick, thorn, etc because it never would respond to the medicine. But on a positive note, she operates perfectly fine with one eye, no limitations at all.

Old Post 01-27-2022 02:53 PM
Ryan Vines is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Vines Click here to Send Ryan Vines a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Vines Find more posts by Ryan Vines Add Ryan Vines to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Both of the dogs that I had were diagnosed with blastomycosis. An antibiotic does no good. You have to treat it with an anti fungal.

Old Post 01-27-2022 11:20 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

PINK EYE MED.

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 02-04-2022 01:03 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chrisbass
New UKC Forum Member

Eye

Had a very nice 1 yr old had the same deal. I spent 10,000 at vet before they finally took the eye out. Once the eye was out he never had any more health issues. He made GrNite and Silver Champion with one eye. It never slowed him down.

Old Post 02-05-2022 04:22 AM
chrisbass is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chrisbass Click here to Send chrisbass a Private Message Click Here to Email chrisbass Find more posts by chrisbass Add chrisbass to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tillery
UKC Forum Member

Update

The ulcer is completely gone. Still fairly cloudy, but looking much much better.

Old Post 02-08-2022 03:16 PM
Tillery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tillery Click here to Send Tillery a Private Message Click Here to Email Tillery Find more posts by Tillery Add Tillery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Eye

That looks really a lot like my gyps eye. I think you have a good shot at that pup's eye healing up.

Old Post 02-08-2022 07:01 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote