UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Walker Puppy possible hip problems
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

Walker Puppy possible hip problems

I have a 8 week old big money puppy that seems to have weak hips. Will literally just be walking and her back legs will just fold up under her. I’ve messed with her legs and hips does not seem to have any pain or popping. It seems to be more than just clumsiness to me though any ideas?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-06-2021 04:20 PM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arachyd
UKC Forum Member

Years ago I had a pup with the same problem. She couldn't run more than two steps without falling. Just walking her hind legs would be all over the place and sometimes got tangled up. The vet found nothing wrong with her and it didn't affect her front legs. I was told the pen she was in when picked up was kind of small so that might have caused a lack of exercise for the litter. I took her out a lot in big open areas and just let her go at her own speed. Eventually her joints and muscles strengthened and she became coordinated. I think it took about two months for her to be able to run fast circles around me.

Old Post 12-06-2021 10:47 PM
arachyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arachyd Click here to Send arachyd a Private Message Find more posts by arachyd Add arachyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Plott
UKC Forum Member

How is she housed? Open kennel? Elevated kennel?

Old Post 12-06-2021 11:28 PM
Black Plott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Plott Click here to Send Black Plott a Private Message Click Here to Email Black Plott Find more posts by Black Plott Add Black Plott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Black Plott
How is she housed? Open kennel? Elevated kennel?

Outside in a 4x10 pen during the day and let loose to run every afternoon. Stays in a kennel indoors at night.

Old Post 12-06-2021 11:41 PM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote