UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coonhound paralysis
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rusticrooster
UKC Forum Member

Coonhound paralysis

Looking for information. Symptoms medications ect
Hunted over 40 years I believe I have my first case.
Share what you know please

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2022 08:26 PM
Rusticrooster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rusticrooster Click here to Send Rusticrooster a Private Message Click Here to Email Rusticrooster Find more posts by Rusticrooster Add Rusticrooster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmcculloch
UKC Forum Member

Bad stuff

Had 3 cases of it. Viral infection coon bits dog n if their immune system is weak dog has it in matter of days effects them nurlogically cause them to lose control can’t walk or stand last about 30 days. I had one dog get it twice. No meds for it. Just have to nurse them n make sure they eat. Dog loses a lot of muscle mass be weak in rear end over it .1 case was fatal. Hope all works out for You n Your dog. Shack

Hardwood Phine
UKC,GR.NiteCH.,PKC.CH.Pine Ridge Tuff

Old Post 01-15-2022 04:07 AM
Jmcculloch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmcculloch Click here to Send Jmcculloch a Private Message Find more posts by Jmcculloch Add Jmcculloch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmcculloch
UKC Forum Member

Bad stuff

Had 3 cases of it. Viral infection coon bits dog n if their immune system is weak dog has it in matter of days effects them nurlogically cause them to lose control can’t walk or stand last about 30 days. I had one dog get it twice. No meds for it. Just have to nurse them n make sure they eat. Dog loses a lot of muscle mass be weak in rear end over it .1 case was fatal. Hope all works out for You n Your dog. Shack

Hardwood Phine

Old Post 01-15-2022 04:07 AM
Jmcculloch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmcculloch Click here to Send Jmcculloch a Private Message Find more posts by Jmcculloch Add Jmcculloch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rusticrooster
UKC Forum Member

Thx Bro. Shack

Old Post 01-15-2022 04:20 AM
Rusticrooster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rusticrooster Click here to Send Rusticrooster a Private Message Click Here to Email Rusticrooster Find more posts by Rusticrooster Add Rusticrooster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Julson
UKC Forum Member

Deep Fresh Bedding All the Time (Wild Hay or Straw) move them around if they are unable move themselves. Plenty of Fresh Water and CANNED DOG FOOD! Talk to your vet about what you can give them to help. I recall Vitamins and especially Vitamin B to stimulate appetite. I had my old Houses Clint Dog "COLA" get it twice and saved him twice with a lot of special care. It could be a couple weeks before they even move around much so that is why you want to reposition them in the fresh bedding to keep them clean and from getting wet and sored up. Stay attentive to your dog and best of luck. Bob Julson 605-351-2654

Old Post 01-15-2022 04:58 AM
Bob Julson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Julson Click here to Send Bob Julson a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Julson Add Bob Julson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Bad Stuff for sure

My Dad's Walker Female had it twice about 1.5 years apart....the 2nd time it proved to be Fatal.
First time she got it from being bitten on the face from a Big Old Male Coon. She was down for 5 weeks and Dad was Retired so he had time to take extra special care of her....he said it was a tough job to do. I try to shoot Coon out dead just to save the dog from getting bitten after seeing what a bite can do.
Good luck
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 01-15-2022 11:29 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmcculloch
UKC Forum Member

Hes Sir

One thing I learned If possible don’t let any of my dogs touch a coon until it’s dead. Bad stuff. Hope All Turns out Good for You. Blessings. Shack

Hardwood Phine

Old Post 01-15-2022 01:55 PM
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

Ive had it in two dogs over the years, best advise is kill every coon dead before it hits the ground.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 01-15-2022 02:21 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

DO NOT LET THEM HAVE HOLD OF ANOTHER COON, ITS MOSTLY IN OLD BOAR COONS

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-15-2022 05:33 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

prairie hay

Had a female had it bad.Lasted quite a while.I was lucky,had a fine vet.With his connections got her into Iowa State vet school.They put her on meds but dont remember which.Anyway, as mentioned above good deep bedding is most important and move her around regularly. I built a box about 3 by 5 and 3 feet deep.Good luck.

Old Post 01-15-2022 05:50 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Good advise about the bedding and moving them to new position almost constantly. Do whatever you need to the feed to get them to eat and make sure the dog is drinking water. Soon as I realized mine wasn't drinking enough and started literally pouring it in her mouth everytime I walked by she started to improve. If you're committed to doing all this the dog will be back to near normal in 2-3 months....depending on the severity. Mine was 8 when she got it so I wouldn't say she was ever as agile afterwards. ...but did go on to win 10 casts in a row. Good luck.

Old Post 01-15-2022 08:06 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redfeather
UKC Forum Member

all of the above is about all you can do,moving them around where they can feel confortable empting out will help .i delted with it 3 times in 65 years of hunting. k Jones

Old Post 01-16-2022 06:42 AM
redfeather is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redfeather Click here to Send redfeather a Private Message Click Here to Email redfeather Find more posts by redfeather Add redfeather to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

ITS SAME AS GUILLAIN-BARR'E SYNDROME LOOK IT UP ON LINE, VERY INTERESTING, MAY HELP YOU WITH IDEA'S

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-16-2022 07:03 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Cheyenne's hunting buddy's dog had it years ago and he did physical therapy with it in a stock tank and built a harness for the dog. It is cold right now but if you had an indoor place you could heat. Doing this also helped to help keep him clean. His made a full recovery it just took time. His wife is a physical therapist and it was her suggestion. Rotate the dog on bedding like you would a nursing home patient. If it were mine I'd check into getting a thick memory foam pad, water proof mattress pad and disposable bed pads like they use in hospitals. Puppy pads would work too. Skin protection ointment for private areas and skin around groin and inner leg area.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-16-2022 11:35 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rusticrooster
UKC Forum Member

Thx for all of the advice.
I don’t know if he had a mild case or what.
He displayed some of the symptoms raspy voice, snotty nose and could keep his back legs under himself.
Been about a week now and seems much better. He’s able to rare up on his back legs. He’s eating,drinking good and goes to the bathroom ok
Thx Greg

Old Post 01-18-2022 01:45 AM
Lynnfuller
New UKC Forum Member

Coonhound paralysis is a painful injury that can be easily avoided, so it is important for dog owners to understand the risks. This disease is nearly 100 percent preventable by following these simple rules.

Old Post 01-19-2022 06:03 AM
Lynnfuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynnfuller Click here to Send Lynnfuller a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynnfuller Find more posts by Lynnfuller Add Lynnfuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote