UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting with ATV
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chriss
UKC Forum Member

Hunting with ATV

How many of you guys or gals out there hunt off of or out of some type of ATV or UTV. Would love to see some pics of your rig if you have any. I am trying to figure out a way to rig up my four wheeler with a dog box and use it for hunting. Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2015 04:17 AM
chriss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chriss Click here to Send chriss a Private Message Click Here to Email chriss Find more posts by chriss Add chriss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

I don't have a dog box on mine just a rig rack. Mine was made out of junk wood and looks like crap, my buddy built one that was alot nicer. I can't post pics for some reason but if you pm me an email address I can send them to you. It's alot lighter than a box so better for hills. I have also seen many people just put one of those pet carrier crates on there.

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 02-08-2015 04:22 AM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I usually put a plastic pet crate on the back rack. If you need a little more room, you can extend the rack out with a little lumber and some u-bolts. Speaking from experience, be careful because your back axle becomes a pivot point and your front end gets light. And, low hanging limbs can get tricky.

A guy came to my house once and noticed that I had a dog box in a truck, a jeep cherokee, a four wheeler, and a boat. I just gotta figure out how to make one ride on one of my mules...

Old Post 02-08-2015 04:31 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Reid
UKC Forum Member

Airplane crate works real well.

Old Post 02-08-2015 04:32 AM
Rob Reid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Reid Click here to Send Rob Reid a Private Message Find more posts by Rob Reid Add Rob Reid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DocAcumen
UKC Forum Member

just thinking outside the box here..... lol

what about weights? AKA to counter the weight of dogs and box?

depending on what is used....
an ATV side by side ect....

make a mounting point for where weight may be needed?

guessing it would be needed in front when hauling box with dogs in it?
make simple places to mount said weight to front.
note simple, as in to be easy to remove and place elsewhere.....

make second place to mount in center mass of what ever type atv u are using.... so when box is empty it is not front heavy....

box loaded with dogs , move to front.... AKA easy to move and secure...

they use weights for lawn mowers to do this with a bagging system? don't they?

seems it would work the same? if u don't have to over load the atv ect?

would not think it would take lots of weight? as i assume most would have no more than 2 dogs being in said box?

what y'all think?

Old Post 02-08-2015 07:52 AM
DocAcumen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DocAcumen Click here to Send DocAcumen a Private Message Find more posts by DocAcumen Add DocAcumen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Hunt off my atv every night. Only way to hunt if u ask me it allows u to do so much more recutting. I just made me a box out of a 55 gallon plastic barrell and rigged a door on it. Works great. Haul 2 dogs in it pretty easy.

Old Post 02-08-2015 08:30 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I love hunting off the UTV but the only time I get to is when I go down to Bellars and hunt with Marv. Here is a pic of the buggy we use. Just a pet carrier thrown in the bed.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 02-08-2015 12:27 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PSDF350
UKC Forum Member

I have a 55 gallon barrel that straps real nice to back of my yamaha grizzly 600, just make sure plenty of air holes.

Old Post 02-08-2015 01:49 PM
PSDF350 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PSDF350 Click here to Send PSDF350 a Private Message Click Here to Email PSDF350 Find more posts by PSDF350 Add PSDF350 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Hunting off an ATV

Piece of 3/4 treated plywood with a non slip grip deck coating painted onto surface. Make metal rack for the front of it and attach a double coupler to it to hook the hounds to. U bolt plywood and metal rack to the 4-wheeler rack.
When you have a big spot to hunt with some trails through out or woods open enough to ride through then this is the only way to go.

Old Post 02-08-2015 02:16 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

I tow my yard cart behind mine. Just set my dog box on it, ratchet strap it down and go. Can haul 4 dogs if needed. Works really well. I'll upload a picture later.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 02-08-2015 02:31 PM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hilltopkennels
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 02-08-2015 03:45 PM
hilltopkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hilltopkennels Click here to Send hilltopkennels a Private Message Click Here to Email hilltopkennels Find more posts by hilltopkennels Add hilltopkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke 2012
I tow my yard cart behind mine. Just set my dog box on it, ratchet strap it down and go. Can haul 4 dogs if needed. Works really well. I'll upload a picture later.

Thought I had a better picture. But you can see what I use.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 02-08-2015 05:06 PM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

Grandson not included...

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 02-08-2015 06:01 PM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carter
Banned

Yeah I was one of the first guys in this country who had ATV,s and hunted off of them. Had a Kawasaki 300 bayou 4x4 when they first came out. I used a pet porter on the back rack to haul the dogs and on the front rack is where I kept a cooler, gun and my old Wildlife in a wick case. Treed alot of coon and had alot of fun but now I hunt off of my Polaris RZR and love it.

Old Post 02-08-2015 07:36 PM
carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carter Click here to Send carter a Private Message Click Here to Email carter Find more posts by carter Add carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

JiM

Is that the way Marv parked it or was you two in a ditch?? Take care, Ron.

Old Post 02-08-2015 07:50 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

I bought this 2001 Suzuki Quad Runner 500 about three years ago to take to the White River National Wildlife Refuge and to hunt out of at the cabin in western North Carolina. I had a local welding shop in West Jefferson extend the rear luggage rack to accommodate the dog box. I bought the box for $150 at the Grand American. My buddy Bill Slaughter here in Florida made brackets out of angle to permanently attach the box and fabricated a mount for the 3000 pound electric winch. We had to relocate the headlights to accommodate the wench/mount. This machine will climb the wall and has been a lot of fun to hunt out of. The box has top storage for things like a tow strap and miscellaneous hunting gear. Some of the areas we hunt in Arkansas require a four-wheeler and I have less than half of what a new machine would cost invested in this one. I’m currently replacing the cracked mud guards on the fenders. The machine had new brakes and tires when I bought it.

Last edited by Steve Fielder on 02-09-2015 at 02:19 AM

Old Post 02-09-2015 01:40 AM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnman
UKC Forum Member

This works for me. Dogs didn't like it at 1st but practiced with them a mess of times until they got used to it. I hate carrying extra bulk. I just trailer the ATV, turn hounds out and pretty much follow any wheres. Done hunting. Just hook to a lead and where off. 3 dogs at once. Besides I need room for the grandkids and have a box on the back for rain coats and any extra hunting supplies. works awesome. And slides right into the receiver, so easy to put on and take off. Hunting I hook all the chains together so they don't snag on anything. One without a reciver, I just welded it. This ATV had a receiver.

Last edited by mnman on 02-09-2015 at 09:23 PM

Old Post 02-09-2015 09:19 PM
mnman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnman Click here to Send mnman a Private Message Click Here to Email mnman Find more posts by mnman Add mnman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fire Archer
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mnman

My other one had mud flaps. But I drive slow and have no need for them. There 4 ft away from the back of the ATV They don't mind it at all.

This works for me. Dogs didn't like it at 1st but practiced with them a mess of times until they got used to it. I hate carrying extra bulk. I just trailer the ATV, turn hounds out and pretty much follow any wheres. Done hunting. Just hook to a lead and where off. 3 dogs at once. Besides I need room for the grandkids and have a box on the back for rain coats and any extra hunting supplies. works awesome. And slides right into the receiver, so easy to put on and take off. Hunting I hook all the chains together so they don't snag on anything. One without a reciver, I just welded it. This ATV had a receiver.
[/QUOTE

I would say they didn't like it. I wouldn't like it either with mud flying in my eyes and sucking down exhaust fumes. But to each his own. Glad it works for you.

Old Post 02-10-2015 02:31 AM
mnman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnman Click here to Send mnman a Private Message Click Here to Email mnman Find more posts by mnman Add mnman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Illegal here in PA unless your handicap.

Old Post 02-10-2015 02:51 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fisher13
Illegal here in PA unless your handicap. [/QUOTE its illegal to discharge a weapon unless handicapped from motorized vehicle there is no rule against riding atv's on private land as long as you have permission I live right next door to 2 deer camps 300 acres they all ride atv's to there stands and drag there deer back the game commission has stopped and checked for licenses and to see that deer are properly tagged never once have they said its illegal to ride a atv while hunting ! as for me I have 2 Polaris big boss 6x6's one fitted with a full size box with top storage and can take 4 dogs and a wire cage on the other one that will hold 2 more and over a thousand acres I have permission to ride on why walk when I can ride !

Old Post 02-10-2015 01:06 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

You are not allowed to pursue game with any motorized vehicle. If your on private land I don't see how they would enforce it, but it is illegal to follow hounds that are pursuing game with your truck or an atv.

Edit: Tried to find it but I couldnt, I did find where a handicap Hunter with a permit, still cannot pursue game with a vehicle,they must be parked when hunting from it.

Last edited by Fisher13 on 02-10-2015 at 10:15 PM

Old Post 02-10-2015 09:40 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

fisher your all wet !

Old Post 02-11-2015 12:47 AM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by groworg1
fisher your all wet !

Maybe not...it is pretty clear language in the statute. I e-mailed the Pa. Game Commission for an answer. The strange thing is they flat out say you cant do it but then open many state game lands, especially during bear season to atv use. They might say that it's the dogs persuing the game and it's O.K. but....
Title 34/2308 Unlawful devices Section 7 :

(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its
attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this
subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the
motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the
progress thereof has ceased.

The Forestry Division says this:

Operation on private property
It is illegal to ride your ATV on private property without permission from the landowner.

Operation on state-owned property
Designated ATV trails on State Forest lands are open from the Friday before Memorial Day through the last full weekend in September. Some ATV trails reopen for winter use in conjunction with the snowmobile season from the day following the last day of the regular or extended deer season through April 1, conditions permitting. Check with the District Forester to be sure that winter use is permitted. The trail also may be open to snowmobiles.

Only Class I ATVs may be operated on State Forest trails designated for ATV use. Class II ATVs may be operated on State Forest land ONLY if the trail is specifically posted open to Class II ATVs of a particular width and weight.

State Forest roads are NOT open to ATVs.

State Parks and State Game Lands are NOT open to ATVs.

Riding rules
To make the use of the trails safe and enjoyable for yourself and others, please:

Do not disturb, drive, or pursue wildlife with your vehicle
Do not carry loaded firearms on your ATV
Abide by State Park and Forest Rules and Regulations and the Snowmobile/ATV law and regulations
Stay on designated trails and roadways
Operate your vehicle in a safe and responsible manner
Place all litter in waste containers, where provided; otherwise practice the "carry-in, carry-out" procedure · Wear a securely fastened helmet

Last edited by msinc on 02-11-2015 at 01:14 AM

Old Post 02-11-2015 01:10 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I have a friend thats a game commission officer. Recently some of the boys were harassed about using electronic devices (GPS) during regular hunting season. The officer said he will charge them next time. I talked to my buddy and he clearly stated as long as there not being used from the vehicle to follow our hounds we are in legal to use them. We all knew that but somebody had to take care of this guy. Any ways it is legal to use a vehicle to recover your dogs, but you can't use a vehicle to pursue game. So in reality it's a pretty grey area. However I personally agree with the law, unless your in some really thin coon, I don't see any need to use an atv. Obviously my opinions are based on the woods I hunt. If I hunt your woods my opinion my be different.

Old Post 02-11-2015 01:40 AM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I apologize for derailing the thread.

Old Post 02-11-2015 01:42 AM