UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > X-BRED is coming Jan 1
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
J.J Melin
UKC Forum Member

Don't like crossbreeds? Don't hunt or breed them plain and simple....others like them so be it. If we all liked the same thing what would be the purpose of having different breeds to choose from?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-03-2014 03:33 PM
J.J Melin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.J Melin Click here to Send J.J Melin a Private Message Click Here to Email J.J Melin Visit J.J Melin's homepage! Find more posts by J.J Melin Add J.J Melin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

Voting x breed to help poor breed

This X breed to help some of you to tree a coon , when will it get voted on by our association . Who votes on it ? You hear all this bragging for months about B&T power houses and now it disappeared ! Lmao

Old Post 09-03-2014 04:26 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JTROTT
UKC Forum Member

Whatever!!!

Yall do whatever yall want to do! I can only speak for myself! And as for myself, I WILL ONLY OWN A BLACK AND TAN!!! I WILL ONLY FEED A BLACK AND TAN! Mine may have some off-color blood in them somewhere way back that I had nothing to do with, but they are BLACK AND TAN! That's my preference. To each their own!!

NtCh ch'pr'Ingram's Smokin' Tony "Smoke" (3 wins toward Grand)(Kansas Junior x Stender's Hawkeye Rose)
'pr' Stone Cold Drifter (Smoke x Ragin Black Little Bit)

James Trott - (256)404-7771

Old Post 09-03-2014 05:10 PM
JTROTT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JTROTT Click here to Send JTROTT a Private Message Click Here to Email JTROTT Find more posts by JTROTT Add JTROTT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSims
UKC Forum Member

SO let me get this right.......Through the single registration process, which we have had for years and sanctioned by the B@T Association, we have been registering, as black and tans, animals that met our standards but we could not verify the parentage. They could be full of different blood for all we know, but we as a breed association, if they passed our criteria, accepted them as black and tans. Now, UKC through the correct process, is allowing people who have "known" crosses to register as a cross breed and once the infused blood has been bred out and they meet B@T standards they can be registered as B@T. Plus we now can verify parentage in many cases but many of you have a problem with it????? I would much rather know what blood is in the animals, which is what this deal will afford us, over not knowing, which is what the single registration process gave us.

Does anyone else agree?

Old Post 09-03-2014 05:38 PM
CSims is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSims Click here to Send CSims a Private Message Click Here to Email CSims Find more posts by CSims Add CSims to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lovis Burns
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CSims
SO let me get this right.......Through the single registration process, which we have had for years and sanctioned by the B@T Association, we have been registering, as black and tans, animals that met our standards but we could not verify the parentage. They could be full of different blood for all we know, but we as a breed association, if they passed our criteria, accepted them as black and tans. Now, UKC through the correct process, is allowing people who have "known" crosses to register as a cross breed and once the infused blood has been bred out and they meet B@T standards they can be registered as B@T. Plus we now can verify parentage in many cases but many of you have a problem with it????? I would much rather know what blood is in the animals, which is what this deal will afford us, over not knowing, which is what the single registration process gave us.

Does anyone else agree?

I Agree. This is the main purpose of the X-breed. Most of yall are blowing this way out of porportion.

By having the X-Breed we can better police what comes in our gene pool of Black & Tans. Single registration could very well become a thing of the past. I rather know than not know. Because back in the day if it looked like a B&T then it was a B&T. Now you will know if it is an X-breed that looks like a B&T. Rather than taking it for its Color.

Besides even if after 4 generations of breeding that someone wants to spend there time and money in. Before they can be brought back into the gene pool. They still HAVE TO RUN AND TREE A RACCOON.

Remember the breed standards are what a B&T is based off of. It is what tells you the difference in a breed of dog. But they will still HAVE TO RUN AND TREE A RACCOON. Single registration will never change when it comes to the ability of a dog proving itself worthy of being a coondog.

Midnight Thunder Black & Tans

GRNITECH CH PKC CH ‘PR’ Midnight Thunder Black Steel - (Ch GrNiteCh'PR' Northern Lights Doc x NITECH 'PR' Blues Band Gypsy Woman) - $630.66 PKC

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Midnight Thunder Final Destiny - (GrNiteCh 'PR' First Class Super Stud x GrNiteCh GrCh 'PR' Midnight Thunder Black Desire) - - PKC $54.00

Up and Coming

Like us on Facebook
Midnight Thunder Black & Tans

Lovis Burns
910-874-4650

Use and Recommend
Bright Eyes Lights
Inukshuk Dog Food

Old Post 09-03-2014 06:26 PM
Lovis Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovis Burns Click here to Send Lovis Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email Lovis Burns Visit Lovis Burns's homepage! Find more posts by Lovis Burns Add Lovis Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lovis Burns
Before they can be brought back into the gene pool. They still HAVE TO RUN AND TREE A RACCOON.

Remember the breed standards are what a B&T is based off of. But they will still HAVE TO RUN AND TREE A RACCOON.

Lovis, I agree that the new system is much tighter than the old one on percentages of purity, BUT where do you see anything on it having to run and tree a coon under this new system?

Unless I read it wrong, there is now NO requirement for it to run and tree a coon.

The old system DID have that requirement but not the new one.

Old Post 09-03-2014 06:33 PM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSims
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by longshot
Lovis, I agree that the new system is much tighter than the old one on percentages of purity, BUT where do you see anything on it having to run and tree a coon under this new system?

Unless I read it wrong, there is now NO requirement for it to run and tree a coon.

The old system DID have that requirement but not the new one.

Mark,

The new system does defer to the Breed associations to police themselves and determine the criteria for animals that they accept. Which is where I hope the rules of treeing a raccoon will come in to play.

Old Post 09-03-2014 06:58 PM
CSims is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSims Click here to Send CSims a Private Message Click Here to Email CSims Find more posts by CSims Add CSims to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CSims
Mark,

The new system does defer to the Breed associations to police themselves and determine the criteria for animals that they accept. Which is where I hope the rules of treeing a raccoon will come in to play.

"If" that's true, I'm on board.

Old Post 09-03-2014 07:10 PM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSims
UKC Forum Member

I completely understand Mark but it was stated on the first post that the ABTCHA controls when the breed registry can be opened; therefore, we control it. The onus is on "us" to clarify what we will and won't accept as a B@T.

Old Post 09-03-2014 07:29 PM
Ray Conrad
UKC Forum Member

The presentation at Oaks clearly stated that the hunt test requirement was to be done away with. Single registration is completely gone. As I posted yesterday, I will be in contact with UKC concerning the hunt test and maybe a titled dog requirement. This is a very good discussion and I will personally make sure your concerns are heard.

Old Post 09-03-2014 07:40 PM
Ray Conrad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray Conrad Click here to Send Ray Conrad a Private Message Click Here to Email Ray Conrad Find more posts by Ray Conrad Add Ray Conrad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Ray, just a heads up.... Todd Kellam is the one to speak to about any concerns or questions you may have. Unfortunately, he is out of the office and is in Montana this week for a bird dog trial. He'll be back next Tuesday and will be delighted to further discuss.

Old Post 09-03-2014 08:03 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Ray and keep us updated on it.

Maybe I'm in a minority but I feel like a dog should have to earn it's way in and not just be a certain color...

The old system of hunting with an inspector was OK but I think I like the Title requirement better because it would take several cast to title... Maybe the HTX would be another option for people that don't comp hunt?

Personally , I'd make them be a GrNtCh before letting them in, so we know they have something positive to offer. That may seem too strict for some, but if we're gonna let outside stuff in, we should KNOW it it's an improvement. jmo

Old Post 09-03-2014 08:09 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Here's a scenerio

I sold a started young gyp to Robert Bridges a couple of years ago with the promise if she makes it and you breed her to your dog (Grn.Nt.Ch. Mizzels Dog) I want a pup. She was bred, I got my pup and a 1yr,18 phone calls & 37 txt later I still have no papers. I gave half to a boy to get her started while I was gone pipelining and now she's a nice prospect, fits all breed standards, I know who the parents are, who bred her and now she will be able to compete. But even though she's nice in every way she will never have a B&T pup.

Old Post 09-03-2014 09:04 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George Hobbs
UKC Forum Member

I don't think there is too much to worry about in dogs coming back in the breed. I know that for me to breed to an 80% dog, he would have to win the world hunt about 3 times back to back. They would have to be a lot better than anything out there.

Most X breed hunters aren't looking to belong to a breed, they just want something to win with.

Old Post 09-03-2014 10:45 PM
George Hobbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George Hobbs Click here to Send George Hobbs a Private Message Click Here to Email George Hobbs Find more posts by George Hobbs Add George Hobbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

I never new so many black & tan people had such sorry dogs that they are drooling over the prospect of getting a cross bred walker or whatever into the dogs they own. I have thought the single registration program should have been closed years ago. It has more than outlived its purpose. Being the oldest UKC coonhound breed we are still trying to put other breeds blood into the black dogs, maybe we should let the black & tan breed die a slow death. According to all of you wanna be black & tan people, we've had bogus papered dogs, cross bred dogs, single registered dogs and after all these years of putting this in the black dogs according to you'll, we still have worthless black dogs. In twenty years if you still can't compete with all this added blood what's going to be your excuse then, are you going to say "this junk ruined the breed". Maybe all that junk that was allowed in has already started ruining the breed.

Old Post 09-03-2014 11:25 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Do you believe the 87% B&T dogs of the future will have less to offer than the 90 something % B&Ts of today? Is that why you wouldn't breed to one, 4-8%

Old Post 09-03-2014 11:27 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

XBreed

I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I'm fine with the new XBred category, it will allow other coon hunters to run what they want too. But as far as the ABTCHA is concerned, letting anything but a PROVEN PR.B&T in would be a slap in the face.

I want all hunters and breeds to say how strict our Assocation is about meeting requirements. It should have been that way years ago, but it's not to late to start now.

- Proven Ancestery
- Ability
- Conformation

This is a perfect time for the ABTCHA to step up its game, and help all of us achieve our common goal - Making American Black & Tan Coonhounds the best coon tree'ers in the World.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 09-03-2014 11:52 PM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

What would be wrong with doing away with single registered and allowing the cross breed registry, but if you choose to cross breed then they would be cross bred no matter a percentage of one breed. UKC would not loos out on $ by doing this & those that want to hunt a cross breed could still do it. Going to do nothing, but hurt all the breeds that those have worked so hard to get the breed were it is today with this x registry. If this x breeding registration goes thru I would gues in 10 years you would not be able to find a pup without a x hound in its pedigree which is a slap in the face to the honest guys trying to improve the breed & keep it pure.

Last edited by MR.RATMAN on 09-04-2014 at 03:10 AM

Old Post 09-04-2014 03:02 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tsbtater
UKC Forum Member

Food for thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCv10_WvGxo

Old Post 09-04-2014 03:32 AM
tsbtater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tsbtater Click here to Send tsbtater a Private Message Click Here to Email tsbtater Find more posts by tsbtater Add tsbtater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

we do need to allow cross breeding into UKC so we dont have people lying to get papers on a dog. This way you do know what you are getting in a hound instead of those who lie to get a set of papers. Every bloodline started with a mix of somesort, but why not put a end to it & start putting the cross bree were they belong & the full blood were it belong & stop mixing it all up??? I dont care what a guy hunts it is allways nice to hunt with different dogs in a hunt, but when you hunt a Albino, Brown English or a Black white & Tan & get UKC papers you know someone lied to UKC to get them registered. If it is cross breed register it cross breed & that is were it stays it dont become a English or a B&T bloodline 10 years down the road. I dont think anyone should have to go back more than 4 generations to see whats in the bloodline we all know what has gone in the past,but it should stop somewere not just keep making new bylaws so it can continue. cleen up the breeds & keep it there.

Old Post 09-04-2014 06:15 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rweller
UKC Forum Member

Re: Voting x breed to help poor breed

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
when will it get voted on by our association . Who votes on it ?

The Associations does NOT vote on this. It is a done deal by UKC. The ABTCHA was not involved in any of this. From my understanding, we will vote on allowing Single registration to be opened up. There will be no need to open up single registration for at least a few years if a dog has to be 80% pure to be eligible.
For example: B & T Days next year(2015) we will vote to open single registration for the year 2016 which will go into effect Jan. 1st 2016 if we would vote to open it. Like I said above, it will take a number of breedings to get a dog back to 80% once a x breeding has been done. So no need to open single registration.

GR.Nt.Ch. Pr Black Magic Queen
Past home of Gr.Nt.Ch. Splitters Magic Otis 2014 Black and Tan Days King of Hunt. GRNITECH'PR' Roughton's Black Splitter X Gr.Nt.Ch. Black Magic Queen

Old Post 09-04-2014 06:47 AM
rweller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rweller Click here to Send rweller a Private Message Click Here to Email rweller Find more posts by rweller Add rweller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
preacherc
UKC Forum Member

i have no problem with a cross bred registry, but run it separate. Once a cross has been made , make it a cross bred permanently. Just don't bring it back in to the bred, but that's just my opinion. but if it is, at least you will see what you are buying and can change your mind if you want.
preacher

Nitechch Beavercreek Hoss deceased
pr. Beavercreek queen deceased

email: crutchfieldd@hotmail.com

Old Post 09-05-2014 02:23 AM
preacherc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for preacherc Click here to Send preacherc a Private Message Click Here to Email preacherc Visit preacherc's homepage! Find more posts by preacherc Add preacherc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerry chapman
UKC Forum Member

LOL....I can't wait...I have a young female out of a GrNT Walker and a NtCH B&T that some of you guys would love!!!

Old Post 09-05-2014 06:46 AM
jerry chapman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerry chapman Click here to Send jerry chapman a Private Message Find more posts by jerry chapman Add jerry chapman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joel Corinth
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Poe
My worry is not that these dogs will take over or out perform what we have.. But more on we will lose some quality black females being bred to another color.. There is not enough good females to go around now.. And I believe this will thin the category that much more.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John D
[B]IMO, it would be a HUGE mistake to close the door to these X-breds coming back in as B&T's at some point. Think about it. The B&T breed may give some of our better genetics to form this new X-bred category. On the outside chance someone takes that and actually improves it with some outside blood, we NEED to bring it back in. Don't give something away with no chance of benefitting from it, later.

Above topics give a very good reason to let the X Bred dogs back in the breed, Mike Poe & John D. bring up a very interesting topic. Could the breed sustain progress, lets say 2 out of the top ten females were bred to a different breed for the next 5 years. That is 20% from the breeds best out of the gene pool.

America for Donkeys

Old Post 09-05-2014 07:35 PM
Joel Corinth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joel Corinth Click here to Send Joel Corinth a Private Message Find more posts by Joel Corinth Add Joel Corinth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joel Corinth
Banned

Re: Re: Voting x breed to help poor breed

quote:
Originally posted by rweller
The Associations does NOT vote on this. It is a done deal by UKC. The ABTCHA was not involved in any of this. From my understanding, we will vote on allowing Single registration to be opened up. There will be no need to open up single registration for at least a few years if a dog has to be 80% pure to be eligible.
For example: B & T Days next year(2015) we will vote to open single registration for the year 2016 which will go into effect Jan. 1st 2016 if we would vote to open it. Like I said above, it will take a number of breedings to get a dog back to 80% once a x breeding has been done. So no need to open single registration.

rweller from the presentation that Ray Conrad has given on this topic it was my understanding that single registration was done away with. My understanding is UKC implemented a avenue to bring the X bred dogs back into the breeds so wouldn't it be considered that they have opened that avenue up. Now the breed Assoc. would vote to close it or leave it open. In all logic you are probably talking 8yrs at least before dogs would meet the 80% mark. Are the breeds and the Assoc. strong enough to be able to close the option of bringing them back in, if 20% of the best in the breed are being X Bred? I saw on the redbone board where a guy is talking about breeding to a English male. Now if the English close it up and the redbone has there's open on this X bred cross. I would just think for guys that this cross would most likely keep breeding back towards redbones. So in 10 to 20 yrs. this would make the redbone breed and Assoc. larger and stronger while depleting the good genetics in the English breed. Why would any breed Assoc. want to close it at this time, just let it open. UKC has set it up that it would take years to get back to 80% and as X Bred you won't hear about the culls so what keeps getting bred up would be the best that people are talking about and would by far be better then the majority of single registered dogs up to now or maybe even a large majority of the registered dogs.

America for Donkeys

Last edited by Joel Corinth on 09-05-2014 at 10:35 PM

Old Post 09-05-2014 07:36 PM
Joel Corinth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joel Corinth Click here to Send Joel Corinth a Private Message Find more posts by Joel Corinth Add Joel Corinth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote