UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Best bait for live trap
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Best bait for live trap

Need to catch a live coon to show some young dogs, what's the best bait? I've used honeybuns and Sardines and had decent luck. Any other suggestions ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2017 04:23 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Marshmallows

Old Post 12-08-2017 04:44 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

soured corn

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 12-08-2017 04:58 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

Marshmallows and peanut butter.

Old Post 12-08-2017 05:03 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Tutti frutti mini marshmallows

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 12-08-2017 06:01 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Honeybun works fine for me.

Old Post 12-08-2017 06:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Marshmallows

I second this. If I am setting close to coon sign, marshmellows are enough. If I set some distance from coon sign, I will hang a ball of cotton with vanilla on it over the live trap. I only use large marshmellows, and tear them into dime size pieces. The stickiness attracts a coon's curiosity. They will roll the pieces in their paws for 2-3 minutes.

Sardines often results in non-target animals such as cats and skunks. Honey buns, while I don't eat them anymore, I couldn't bring myself to use it for bait.

On a side note, marshmellows will often work on a trap shy animal. In ADC work trap shy animals are more common then you would think.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-08-2017 06:17 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k.trumble
UKC Forum Member

Bait

!!!!!bleu cheese!!!!!

Old Post 12-08-2017 10:15 PM
k.trumble is offline Click Here to See the Profile for k.trumble Click here to Send k.trumble a Private Message Click Here to Email k.trumble Find more posts by k.trumble Add k.trumble to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCcLellan.Mike
UKC Forum Member

Peanut butter

GRHBCH LITTLE ITALYS FLINTSTONE FLYER.(RIP)
HB CH 'PR' BRIAR ASSASSINS STATE GASOLINE

Old Post 12-09-2017 03:59 AM
MCcLellan.Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCcLellan.Mike Click here to Send MCcLellan.Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MCcLellan.Mike Add MCcLellan.Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I just use dog food. I throw some in the back of th trap and then free cast some feed in front of the trap. I've also found that if I put something around the trap, like boards or blocks, that I don't have as many tripped traps from the coon reaching in for the bate and tripping the trap before they go into the trap.

Old Post 12-09-2017 04:10 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

50 CENT CONVENIENCE STORE honey bun, lay on the ground and mash the trap down on it, works most every time. You can even tear it in half and use then other half the next time.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 12-09-2017 12:38 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

Dollar store Honey buns. Yep caught many a coon with 'em. I've used about every thing you can imagine, but always go back to the good 'ole hunny bun. Dog food works pretty well also.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 12-10-2017 01:14 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

I catch the best on white bread and jelly.

Old Post 12-10-2017 04:27 AM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHC's Walkers
UKC Forum Member

I use watermelon rind in the summer & early fall. In the winter I use marshmallows mixed with strawberry jelly. I make this concoction during the summer & freeze it. I make enough to last at least a few months. I have maybe $10 in all for some great trap bait. Pending on when & how many pups I have at the time also.

Old Post 12-10-2017 07:50 AM
SHC's Walkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHC's Walkers Click here to Send SHC's Walkers a Private Message Find more posts by SHC's Walkers Add SHC's Walkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kimber2378
UKC Forum Member

The best process I have found for catching a coon in a live trap is as follows:

Get four pieces of bread, put peanut butter on two and marshmallow fluff on the the other two.

Place one peanut butter bread slice with the marshmallow fluff side. Repeat with two remaining slices.

Place one sandwich in the trap.

Eat the other cause they are delicious.

More than likely you will catch a coon. If you live in bear country you might go through a trap or two though.

Old Post 12-10-2017 08:19 AM
Kimber2378 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kimber2378 Click here to Send Kimber2378 a Private Message Find more posts by Kimber2378 Add Kimber2378 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

Colored marshmallows is the way to go but there is one better. I use to trap nuisance coons out of barns and they are very visually attracted. I would buy simple colored sponges and put trapping coon lure on them. It would soak in and last and the colored sponges were too much for them to resist.

Old Post 12-11-2017 01:30 AM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fullhouse
Banned

Ive live trapped hundreds of coons and tried 20 different things for baits probably and grape jelly has worked the best for me.

Old Post 12-11-2017 01:41 AM
fullhouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fullhouse Click here to Send fullhouse a Private Message Find more posts by fullhouse Add fullhouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote