UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Titles??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Titles??

When did we stop appreciating Titles and just won’t Money?
Title still means the same to me as they did 30 years ago! No matter what changes are made We all hunt under the same rules.
I Still Breed, Hunt an Title my own dogs!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-17-2018 04:14 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Perceptions have changed. It is all a matter of PR. But it is amazing how many people that say titles don't matter have titled dogs.

Old Post 12-17-2018 04:18 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Right now I am setting in my chair by the fire with a hot cup of coffee looking at my certificate on the wall !! After the first of the year sickum Tim lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-17-2018 04:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

Most people still brag about their dogs pedigree, even if they don't competition hunt themselves. I still think the titles mean something, it gives one a sense of knowing they have a proven coon treeing background in their dogs pedigree. Some argue it doesn't mean a thing, yet they brag about all the Champions in their dogs pedigree. Dave

Old Post 12-17-2018 08:00 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Titles??

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
When did we stop appreciating Titles and just won’t Money?!

I would guess that the appreciation of titles went away for many somewhere around the time that a cast win began automatically equalling a 1st place because the hunt only drew 3 dogs.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-17-2018 09:52 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Titles

I find it amusing that some people think a cast win isn't enough, somehow a higher score cast win meant more! How can anyone ever do more than win their cast with plus points, you are not competing with any other dogs but the ones in your cast. You are at the mercy of your guide and the ground you hunt on, a higher score in another cast meant they had better hunting ground, not a better dog. Some people had honey holes where they made ALL their Champions, does anyone really think they were better than any other cast winner. Fishing in a well stocked pond doesn't equate to ones fishing skills when you fish on a lake that everyone fishes. My solid opinion is that the ones who all ways had the honeyhole advantage are the ones that don't like this change. Big dollar hunts are based on CAST WINS and not Scores to equal the playing field, why should UKC hunts be based on Scores? Many hunters quit the hunts solely based on the honeyhole advantage of placing dogs based on Scores, give these changes time to see if numbers go up. Save all the cheap title remarks as they just don't hold water. You still have to win your cast as was always the case with plus points, now you have to win more. Cheap title, I think not, if anything titles should mean more. No longer will the honeyholers get that 1st place and think they really done something special. Dave

Old Post 12-17-2018 10:14 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Titles??

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I would guess that the appreciation of titles went away for many somewhere around the time that a cast win began automatically equalling a 1st place because the hunt only drew 3 dogs.

But the rules was the same, advertising for the Hunt was the same, Still had to win your cast, the ones that stopped coming and the ones that never did are the only ones belittling titles! JMO.

Old Post 12-17-2018 10:15 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

That just about does it!

Don't it! Last hunt close to me, there was 1 registered dog ans 3 nite Champions. The registered dog got a first place win, somehow. The 3 nite chp's had a wrassling match with one winner left standing.

I'm going to a $kc tonight to see if I can outsmart'em at their game. Man said for me to minus'em for balwowing them haints, then turn around and do it again. 😂 I'm loaded fo Bear!

Old Post 12-17-2018 10:18 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Titles are the only bench mark we have to go by. I live in central Il thinking about breeding to a dog say in Tx. If he has a title we can at least hope he is a good one.

Old Post 12-17-2018 10:33 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

You got that right while a title does not always equal a COONDOG, it gives one a starting point. You can look at all the dogs in the pedigree and make an educated decision. ALL those naysayers are doing the same thing, how many times do you hear them bragging about their dogs pedigree and how many champions are in it. Might be a conterfit or 2 in there but there are some good ones as well. Try selling a pup out of non titled dogs! Nuff said. Dave

Old Post 12-17-2018 10:44 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I still like to title my dogs because I raise my own. Only thing a lot of us are facing is old age it's crapping painful to follow the style of dog these kids are hunting now.

Maybe ukc should start thinking about senior tour hunts 50 yrs and older lot of old guys got the money to compete they just don't have the legs and wind to chase the younger bunch it would be like a gentlmans hunt it would be like a reward for years of service alot of the old guys were the backbone of this sport and made it what it is.

Jmo

Tar

Old Post 12-17-2018 10:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Titles??

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
But the rules was the same, advertising for the Hunt was the same, Still had to win your cast, the ones that stopped coming and the ones that never did are the only ones belittling titles! JMO.

I don't disagree but I think the perception among many is that as the turnouts for hunts went down, so did the level of competition this cheapening the titlrs.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-17-2018 11:03 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Personally I think UKC took a step forward by increasing the number of cast wins required to earn titles but took a step backwards with the double headers giving the opportunity for two cast wins in one night.

Old Post 12-17-2018 11:10 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donnie Stevens

Why do you think the doubleheaders are any different than 2 separate nights? A dig will still have to win it's cast with plus points to get a win, it should not matter if it's in one night or 2 separate nights. Doubleheaders benefit the Clubs cost wise, everything else is basically the same as 2 separate hunts on separate nights. Dave

Old Post 12-17-2018 11:52 PM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Titles mean nothing to me. A lot of times they will make me look the other way when considering a pup. Most titled dogs aren't what I want in a dog.

Old Post 12-17-2018 11:52 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Donnie Stevens

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Why do you think the doubleheaders are any different than 2 separate nights?

Because it's not two separate nights Dave it's two cast wins on the same night lol. I thought the objective here was to make it harder to title a dog....

Old Post 12-17-2018 11:58 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I think that the objective was to help the small clubs and increase entries. It has nothing to do with titles. Having doubleheaders would also cut down on traveling/gas. This was another one of Tarbaby's suggestions that they used. If you don't like them blame him.

Old Post 12-18-2018 12:44 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donnie Stevens

I still don't understand why you think it's any different, a dig will have to win 2 separate casts to get 2 wins, whether it's on the same night or 2 different nights. Doubleheader save the Club money on hunt fees and gives hunters a chance to hunt 2 SEPERATE HUNTS in 1 night. No doubt this is a win win situation for the Clubs and the hunters. No one is guaranteed to win their cast on either hunt, a win has to be won by the dog just like it has to be if hunting different nights. No difference in quality of wins just because a dog has a chance to win 2 casts in the same night. Dave

Old Post 12-18-2018 12:46 AM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Right now I am setting in my chair by the fire with a hot cup of coffee looking at my certificate on the wall !! After the first of the year sickum Tim lol.

Tar

My 1 year old female just ran a track so fast a almost pulled the shocker out but she came treed and had a big bore coon, she still loose on the tree an loves to run a track, got me excited and looking forward to getting her titled.

Tar I’m heading to Oklahoma Wednesday, I’m bringing Stella with me and looking forward to hunting with you

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 12-18-2018 02:09 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

Promise me 1 thing and that is the following, if Tar gets in another wrestling match with the saw briars , that you will video the whole thing and send me a copy. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 12-18-2018 at 02:26 AM

Old Post 12-18-2018 02:18 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I think that the objective was to help the small clubs and increase entries. It has nothing to do with titles. Having doubleheaders would also cut down on traveling/gas. This was another one of Tarbaby's suggestions that they used. If you don't like them blame him.

My bad I thought this thread was about titles. Yes Ihey might make more money for the club and cut down on driving if that's what you're trying to do. I don't see them increasing entries and therefore do nothing to improve the integrity of UKC titles. I thought that was the point of increasing the number of wins required.

I solved my problem of having a dog finished out every couple years and having nothin to hunt. I bought two redbones.

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 12-18-2018 at 02:49 AM

Old Post 12-18-2018 02:41 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donnie Stevens

Between all your cold and snow and Mr. Lambert, you might be having cabin fever buying 2 redbones. Lol. Dave

Old Post 12-18-2018 03:45 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Donnie, you changed the subject to doubleheaders, not me. Now you are changing it to Redbones.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-18-2018 at 03:54 AM

Old Post 12-18-2018 03:51 AM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

I’m sorry but titles don’t impress me much. I know people measure success differently. But come on. If you were looking for a dog that just went hunting and got under coons consistently no matter the kind of night or pressure put on them there hard to find. Consistent coontreeres are Rare. Titles are not.

If I had $100,000 to spend on buying titled dogs I could fill my backyard full of them. I would be truly lucky to find 5 with that $$$ alive I would truly enjoy hunting.

Old Post 12-18-2018 04:00 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

NWilliams

I tend to agree in part, but most hunters don't have the bar set as high as you do. Thankfully so, as there are not that many truly outstanding dogs to be had. Kind of like automobiles, not everyone wants or can afford a million dollar car, but they all can get you there and back. Prestige is in the eye of the beholder and what one calls priceless, another calls worthless. One great dog in a man's lifetime makes all the others seem worthless, just be glad for the memories that you have of the great one. Dave

Old Post 12-18-2018 04:24 AM