UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > blood stop
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
carpenter
UKC Forum Member

blood stop

which blood stop works the best

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-07-2020 08:44 PM
carpenter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carpenter Click here to Send carpenter a Private Message Find more posts by carpenter Add carpenter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arachyd
UKC Forum Member

Most of what I've seen and used over the years has alum as the main ingredient. I keep plain alum (aluminum sulfate powder) on hand as it works well as a simple, inexpensive astringent to stop bleeding. It does not treat infection. If you have a well-stocked kitchen you may have some in your spice rack.

Last edited by arachyd on 03-07-2020 at 10:00 PM

Old Post 03-07-2020 09:47 PM
arachyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arachyd Click here to Send arachyd a Private Message Find more posts by arachyd Add arachyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I have used Corn Starch in the past with very good results. Just plain old corn starch you get at the grocery store.

Old Post 03-07-2020 11:03 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Blood stop

You can buy blood clotting powder at most farm stores I used it on various animals......but if you think the injury will require stitches Do Not Apply cover with a clean bandage and proceed to vet help FYI

Old Post 03-08-2020 01:20 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Blood stop

Since one poster is a medical doctor and a surgeon to boot, I will use the corn starch He recommended. Thanks Rip. Dave

Old Post 03-08-2020 01:45 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

TSC sells several different blood stops...Walmart, Walgreens and Target sell self adhesive wrap bandage and it is good about stopping blood loss...I very seldom stitch my dogs...I spray CutHeal twice a day with CutHeal and the wound heals from the inside out and usually no scar is left...

Old Post 03-08-2020 03:26 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Quick clot can be bought a variety of places. If I’ve got one that is just gushing I just pack it with mud. Odds are you’re not goi g to be near a truck when you need it.

Old Post 03-08-2020 03:47 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Re: Blood stop

Corn starch is handy the blood stop is easier to keep for me in the weather prof container

Last edited by Cotton 1927 on 03-08-2020 at 04:35 AM

Old Post 03-08-2020 04:11 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Well honestly if there is something serious I stitch but ears and nose cuts can bleed alot and be minor. Those are what I use the corn starch for. Nothing wrong with the commercial blood stop products/quick clot ect. Some heat up I just always carried plain old corn starch. It's something the old timers always used and I never needed to find something else.

If it needs stitches then I don't put anything on it because I don't want to stitch something into the wound. I clean it well and sew them up.

Old Post 03-08-2020 04:27 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

IF UR HUNTIN PACK THE CUT WIYH MUDD, WORKS WELL

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 03-08-2020 01:05 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I get power from the vet they use when dehorning cattle. I use powered lime, after that helps in closing the wound.

Old Post 03-08-2020 02:48 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carpenter
UKC Forum Member

thanks for the help

Old Post 03-08-2020 05:11 PM
carpenter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carpenter Click here to Send carpenter a Private Message Find more posts by carpenter Add carpenter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Doc

Thanks for your input, I think some of us are always looking for a magic pill or fix for everything from Dog food to cuts. Some old timer cures are still the best today today, just like corn bread is pretty good dog food. Lol. Dave

Old Post 03-08-2020 09:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I know we are discussing blood stop...however I cannot say enough good things about CutHeal...on big cuts spray CutHeal on wound twice a day and give one 250 mg capsule of amoxicillin and your dog will heal right up...a potential 2 inch scar will be smooth and a 1/2” small when healed...no infections and healing process doesn’t last long...amoxicillin 7 to ten days max...

Old Post 03-09-2020 01:45 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote