UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Phrases or Tag Lines we hang on dogs.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Phrases or Tag Lines we hang on dogs.

So many Tag Lines have been hung on our dogs over the years. Many were for fun and some fit. But maybe it's the new generation of hunters, maybe it is just life. But in todays world they seem to get hung on the dogs and the new hunters start to accept them as something positive or the way it should be.

I like an Independent dog. But the deep and lonely tag line hung on dogs is showing a sign of weakness or a fault in the hounds. That should not be dealt with but bred or trained out of them.

Another one I am now seeing and I really dislike. "Arrive Late and Get Ate" Now we can sling this phrase around and we can normalize it. But there is nothing about it we should accept. But the phrase will allowl all the new people to the sport to think. That is the norm.

I don't dislike a catchy phrase. But I don't like them normalizing a problem.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 10-12-2019 at 03:39 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-12-2019 01:38 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I can tell you the phrase if your dog ate up the wrong guys dog back in the day.

When you wake up you can bar me if you like.

Tar

Old Post 10-12-2019 01:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Unfortunately that phrase ' come late get ate ' is excepted by disrespectful hunters that feel winning is more important than being admired for the quality of dog they carry to the hunts. What they don't understand is winning isn't going to get them respect when people learn what kinda dog and win is acceptable to them. But they will get some cash for whatever that's worth.

Old Post 10-12-2019 02:29 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

"Tree Monster" should not be anything to be proud of. Or at least that's the way I see it.

Old Post 10-12-2019 03:26 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen Rogers
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had a few rough ones over the years and can assure you they don’t tree any more coons. Why someone would hunt one like that is beyond me.

Old Post 10-12-2019 04:24 PM
Allen Rogers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen Rogers Click here to Send Allen Rogers a Private Message Find more posts by Allen Rogers Add Allen Rogers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Hunted with a young man last night that is not very experienced in coon hunting. He had a young dog that wouldn't know anything about treeing a coon but was chasing my male dog off the tree. Luckily my dog is pretty mild mannered. He literally would chase him out in the pasture away from the tree. I caught his dog and told him to put him in the truck. He asked me what I would do with him and I told him I would shoot him right there.

Old Post 10-12-2019 04:49 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I love the fellowship of good hunters. I love a good hound no matter whom it belongs to. But some of the exceptable behaviors of nowadays dogs and men in the hunts that they think is ok when I read it I want to quit hunting.

Tar

Old Post 10-13-2019 12:39 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I guess you and I are definitely old school, I agree with the instant karma approach you mentioned in an earlier post. "Wake up and bar me later", I don't like being run over by a dog or a man. Lol. Dave. P.S. got any fish or pear pie left?

Old Post 10-13-2019 01:49 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Got to take the last piece of pie to randy tomorrow. Got plenty of fish left. Sure would have like to seen the look on some of these younger ones face when they made one of the older ones I come up with upset. A dog was a really respected and very much an important part of the family back then.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 10-13-2019 at 09:56 AM

Old Post 10-13-2019 02:00 AM
turman
UKC Forum Member

I've seen that phrase "cover late get ate" on Facebook and was couldn't believe that guys actually feel it's ok. If I had an old dog that covered late and one of these young guys dogs ate it up the dog would first get wrote up then they'd hope we never were drawn out again. Doesn't matter the kc scratched for fighting 3 times the dog is barred.

Old Post 10-13-2019 02:45 PM
turman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for turman Click here to Send turman a Private Message Click Here to Email turman Find more posts by turman Add turman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

This maybe a little off the topic. I grew up in a time where a dog had to do what it was bred for or it wouldn’t last long. Am sure there are still youth out there that are being taught the same way. But for the most part they are being taught the ways on how to win these hunts. That’s fine if that’s how you want to play the game. I believe dogs are being bred now days to fit a mans ego. Rule book dogs . Traits are being bred in that really has nothing to do with how a real coon dog should operate. In my opinion you can have a dog that shows you eyes every time it trees. But , all the other things that’s in the middle is what counts. If we want our dogs to be bred strictly for competition hunting that’s fine. But remember that will be man made. Rules will change, meaning dogs will more than likely have to be bred different. Forgetting about rules an getting back to what makes a coon dog is what matters. A lot more quiet time setting on a stump .

Old Post 10-13-2019 04:07 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
This maybe a little off the topic. I grew up in a time where a dog had to do what it was bred for or it wouldn’t last long. Am sure there are still youth out there that are being taught the same way. But for the most part they are being taught the ways on how to win these hunts. That’s fine if that’s how you want to play the game. I believe dogs are being bred now days to fit a mans ego. Rule book dogs . Traits are being bred in that really has nothing to do with how a real coon dog should operate. In my opinion you can have a dog that shows you eyes every time it trees. But , all the other things that’s in the middle is what counts. If we want our dogs to be bred strictly for competition hunting that’s fine. But remember that will be man made. Rules will change, meaning dogs will more than likely have to be bred different. Forgetting about rules an getting back to what makes a coon dog is what matters. A lot more quiet time setting on a stump .

You on target and 100 percent right...

Old Post 10-13-2019 09:30 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I always worry that threads like these put the few negative people in this sport instead of all the wonderful hunts that the majority have. Don't focus on a few and there comments on a sport that needs positive coverage to draw people in.
I'm going to make a different kind of post....positive!
We were at the Oklahoma State Championship over this weekend and in 68 entries over the weekend not one question came in, not one dog or man wrote up for fighting. There were a bunch of good people, good fellowship and good food!
I will also add that we travel around the country to alot of hunts in various kennel clubs most go exactly like the above. If you want to make a difference and be a positive light for the future of this sport put the focus on all the great things that happen at the hunts and all the friends you've made along the way.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-13-2019 09:34 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Redneck Mafia thanks for reminding us that this is a great sport. 99 out of 100 hunts are very enjoyable. Very thankful for the privilege of hunting good dogs. I need an attitude of gratitude. Thanks again for the reminder/

Old Post 10-13-2019 10:55 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Phrases

"They're just dogs", I can't stand it when people say that.

Old Post 10-15-2019 02:16 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

?

Never heard the phrase before. Usually these kinda dogs go away round here sooner or later

Old Post 10-15-2019 10:03 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJames
UKC Forum Member

Bruce i agree 100%!

GrNtCh HOF GrCh Tough Red Ruby Big Rig

GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Glass Performance Sire 2009 World Qualifier

GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Tank
GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Glass Shaker 9th place St Jude Saturday nite hunt 2013
NiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Shine (RIP)
NiteCh PR Tough Blue Lady (Sold)
NiteCh PR Tough Blue Rebel (Sold)

Old Post 10-17-2019 05:22 PM
DJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DJames Click here to Send DJames a Private Message Click Here to Email DJames Find more posts by DJames Add DJames to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Phrases

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
"They're just dogs", I can't stand it when people say that.

Especially when hunting my dogs I like to say...IT’S ALL ABOUT THE DOGS...the reason being, about every move I make is about getting the best out of the pups and dogs...

Old Post 10-17-2019 06:18 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Most of the problems we have with our dogs have to do with our egos. A man's ego is a heavy burden for most dogs to have to carry. None of can live up to our egos, much less a dog. Dave

Old Post 10-17-2019 10:37 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charlie Scott
New UKC Forum Member

My dogs never know who I'm turning loose with so they don't care. I know they're not worth snot. But I make the mistake of comparing them to dogs described on here or facebook and they get short changed. So it is a man's ego in my opinion that hurts a dog. In all honesty I'm hunting 3 pups and I do miss my old broke dogs that couldn't keep up with all these super dogs I read about. But I love what I have and as long as I'm feeding them I guess I'm the only one that has to put up with them lol

Old Post 10-18-2019 04:52 AM
Charlie Scott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie Scott Click here to Send Charlie Scott a Private Message Find more posts by Charlie Scott Add Charlie Scott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Charlie

As I have grown older I have seen myself havingvway more fun when I stopped being so ego driven. Egos get in the way of true pleasure, we do not have to have the best of anything to enjoy the things we have. I hunted with my 81 year old hunting buddy last night with only his dog and I had a blast. He has a really good dog and I enjoy hunting with his dog just as much as I do hunting my dogs. Enjoy your dogs, but treasure the friendships you have and hunting with their dogs. Dave

Old Post 10-19-2019 12:36 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Ego driven...I really cannot say it has ever been a problem for me with dogs unless I am in denial...🤔
I believe it has more to do with expectations and logic...usually by 6-8 months I know if I will keep the pup and if I don’t like it I give it away because it still has potential for becoming a decent dog...

Once I decide he is a keeper then he is a part of the family...there won’t be any excuses but there can be reasons...

The other day one of my dogs did ok and not to my expectations but there was a reason for it...he had a cut on one of his front feet toes pad that wasn’t completely healed...he hunted ok but not his normal hunting style...

There are excuses and there are reasons...a big difference,
and we must know the difference between the two...

In knowing the difference we will be fair to our hunting dogs that we think highly of...
We also know not to make excuses for a dog that really doesn’t hunt like it should and hopefully will never be bred so we can minimize the percentages of junk that gets bred and produced...

Last edited by Reuben on 10-19-2019 at 10:59 AM

Old Post 10-19-2019 10:52 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Best advice I can give anyone was given to me by a good friend.

"They're dogs, not gods. Same letters just spelled different."

The reason I was told this is because 95% or more don't meet my expectations. I've gone through roughly 40 dogs in the past year to get what I want. And what I want you can't teach 1 to do it. It either has that ability or it doesn't.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-19-2019 01:33 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Best advice I can give anyone was given to me by a good friend.

"They're dogs, not gods. Same letters just spelled different."

The reason I was told this is because 95% or more don't meet my expectations. I've gone through roughly 40 dogs in the past year to get what I want. And what I want you can't teach 1 to do it. It either has that ability or it doesn't.

I once had a line of dogs that hunted and bayed as I liked...and they bred true with improvement over generations...and then I let it go...got back in and like you I have culled many dogs...

My opinion...
When you find the right dog (preferably right bloodline or strain)...make sure there are some really good dogs in the background such as parents and grandparents and then breed your own...test the pups and keep three or 4 you perceive to be the best and cull from them...chances are all the pups you keep will be good but you will be shooting for the best...the rest sell or give to friends with the same expectations as you and you will be much happier with the outcome...and the next generation should be better...etc

Good luck in finding someone with the same expectations as you...lol
The hard part will be finding the right bloodline that suits you...

Old Post 10-19-2019 03:28 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

My comment about ego driven relates to a man being so concerned about himself and his dogs that he can't enjoy the things others have. Some folks just can't appreciate another man's dog, they just want to find faults. When we look for the good, we can usually find it. To paraphrase a bible verse, we need to remove the plank from our eyes to see the speck in our neighbors eyes. All things have good and bad points depending on the one evaluating as to what is what. I have found the more I put others in front of myself the better I feel. I don't have to tree the most coons, catch the most fish, or be the best to enjoy myself. I spent years wanting to outdo others in all of the things I pursued in life, cheating myself from the thrill of seeing other folks success . Now, I get the reward of seeing others excel in the things they do in life. Dave

Old Post 10-19-2019 09:42 PM