UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Female pup with Vaginitis
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bluetickman94
UKC Forum Member

Female pup with Vaginitis

Anyone know what I can do to get rid of it? She's been on antibiotics but it keeps coming and going 5 month old blue pup . Activity and stuff is normal just having discharges and it's hit or miss . And help would be appreciated

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-13-2021 04:49 PM
Bluetickman94 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluetickman94 Click here to Send Bluetickman94 a Private Message Click Here to Email Bluetickman94 Find more posts by Bluetickman94 Add Bluetickman94 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

The vets are supposed to know more than us, but sometimes common sense remedies help as well. Curious as to what antibiotic she is on and how long she has been on it?

I would try a change in diet, along with a probiotic/prebiotic supplement. That COULD solve your problem. Tractor supply has a one tab a day supplement that works great. A daily multivitamin couldn't hurt anything either. I can text you pics of either if you like.

Antibiotic salve on the vaginal area could help as well, but the pup would have to wear a cone on its head to prevent licking.

I THINK that once she has a heat cycle, your problems will be over.

Just suggestions from a retired Ag teacher that likes to do my own dog doctoring when possible. Good luck!

Old Post 04-13-2021 05:58 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluetickman94
UKC Forum Member

She's been on cephalexin. I called my vet and he's gonna put her on another 250 mg but forgot what it was called it's a different type of antibiotic. Yes please send me pics of you don't mind . 270-696-4344

Old Post 04-13-2021 06:01 PM
Bluetickman94 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluetickman94 Click here to Send Bluetickman94 a Private Message Click Here to Email Bluetickman94 Find more posts by Bluetickman94 Add Bluetickman94 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

I had a female pup that did the same thing. it went away after first heat cycle. vet told me it was part of her developing inside.

Old Post 04-13-2021 06:24 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluetickman94
UKC Forum Member

That's what I wanted to see . Hopefully hers goes away after hers which should be in November .

Old Post 04-13-2021 06:25 PM
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

I would see if the vet would be willing to get a swab of the discharge and either send it off to be tested or test in house. Could be bacterial, fungal, or yeast. Once you know what organism is causing it, then you can treat appropriately.

Old Post 04-13-2021 10:08 PM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Have they checked her urine to rule out a UTI?
Did they do a vaginoscopy where they look at the inner wall to see if the vaginitis present? Are they having you keep the vulva clean? As mentioned before the probiotics are cheap depending on brand they can be had for $5-10 at Walmart.

Last edited by johnny reb on 04-14-2021 at 12:04 AM

Old Post 04-13-2021 11:49 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I forgot to mention if you purchase acidophilus to store it in the refrigerator. The probiotic bacteria are sensitive to moisture and heat.

Old Post 04-14-2021 12:11 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote