UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The Big $100k Hunt
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

The Big $100k Hunt

I have, like several of you, gave this hunt some serious thought as to how it will work, what prize money will actually be, how Hunt will run, how they will put 120 teams in 6 hour hunting for 3 nights, the amount of coon harvested, how that will affect the local hunter, and if advertised what the group we fight would have for ammunition.

Now, I am no rocket scientist, but I do make my living in the marketing world for what I consider a large company. It is my job to think about pro and con. As I am somewhat of a blue sky individual I must ground myself and look at it also from a devils advocate scenario.

With the above jargon stated, I feel in my opinion, that this could be one of the greatest events / fundraiser the coonhunter has thought of.

It is definitely going to have to be held in an area with plenty of supportive hunters and a network of local clubs willing to roll sleeves up and work.

It is definitely for a worthwhile cause.

On the advertising side and with the cause I feel that if properly marketed that in the start up and future monies could be gathered from Arms and Ammunition companies,hunter clothing companies,outdoor manufacturing companies, and money other businesses.

I also feel it could get national media support in a positive way for the American hunter. Yes, some negative press from another group but more positive that negative.

First and foremost I look at it as a fundraiser before a hunt. With the ability to open that up and have a 100% write off is a positive for hunter and business owner.

On harvest of animal. I feel that may be tricky. The last thing we need is 1000 dead animals laying in a pile. BAD PRESS!!!! In today’s time of technology we all see pictures of coon on our phones in trees. With a hunt of this magnitude and one that is capable of getting the attention of millions one should look into some way to snap a shot and score that way. Many avenues are possible.

I do feel there is always room for unethical sportsmanship in any arena of competition no matter the hours of planning on rules. In the situation of this hunt I about guarantee the event coordinators could assemble a group of true ethical sportsmen to act as judges. They don’t even have to be coon hunters. As long as they know what one looks like in a tree lol.

With the above said I feel with the money on line in the purse the coordinator could also assemble a group to perform a simple lie detector test each morning on the judges. Be simple, they turn in their pictures of coon treed,state to panel 4 coon were scored, and then same questions asked using the detector. Few,if any good men or women,will buckle to public scrutiny if they know the process.

I truly feel this has a shot at being huge, but it is more than just having a hunt, paying an entry, and shooting coon.

I am all in on this idea and if it comes to fruition I will be there.

I hope we all can give constructive criticisms and constructive positive feedback on how as a group of hunters we can make this happen and gain positive images for the hunter.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-20-2018 08:00 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

120 teams x $5k p/team = $600k

I see $200k in prizes listed on the advertisement. Where does the other $400k go?

You mentioned the killing aspect of things. That’s just not going to fly in todays world when you are seeking support from major sponsors. It also seems highly unnecessary.

Needs lots of tweaking.

I think CHKC has done a great job of raising the bar in terms of payouts. PKC has gotten better in regards to paying out more places/cast wins, etc. However, all of these purses are driven/paid for by the hunter. I would like to see one of the major coon hunting organizations land a sponsor or two that would truly raise the bar as far as payouts go.

Old Post 01-20-2018 08:35 PM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

A lot of the $$$$ have sponsors that donate but then it gets to where the kcs start calling them and dunning them for things with little recognition for the sponsor jmo.

Tar

Old Post 01-20-2018 08:41 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I am assuming the $400k goes to wounded warriors

Old Post 01-20-2018 08:42 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tripple river
UKC Forum Member

I doubt the full 400k goes to charity they have to pay for the judges and guides the food and band prolly many expenses that I can’t think of also but I think whatever they do give to charity will be a lot more than the other big money hunts give .

Old Post 01-20-2018 09:33 PM
tripple river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tripple river Click here to Send tripple river a Private Message Click Here to Email tripple river Find more posts by tripple river Add tripple river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tripple river
UKC Forum Member

I doubt the full 400k goes to charity they have to pay for the judges and guides the food and band prolly many expenses that I can’t think of also but I think whatever they do give to charity will be a lot more than the other big money hunts give .

Old Post 01-20-2018 09:33 PM
tripple river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tripple river Click here to Send tripple river a Private Message Click Here to Email tripple river Find more posts by tripple river Add tripple river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cole run
UKC Forum Member

High ridge

I agree with you it's probably going to get a lot of publicity when I looked up the warrior foundation one of the people I saw on the board was our channel four weather girl from Pittsburgh but that might even help us as to how they promote it and as for myself I don't think I can come up with the money to enter but I am giving serious consideration to going down and volunteering to judge or help out in some way . First and foremost it's a way to thank everyone who has served. Second of all imagine what it could do for our sport if a bunch of us went there that didn't have the money to enter and donated our time to make this thing work ,if that went public it would be a huge kick in the butt to these animal rights activists trying to shut our sport down . I understand it could hurt us in some aspects if we're not careful . And to me if people are looking at this as a hunt to make 100 grand and not a Benefit for our military then they missed the whole purpose of the event.

Old Post 01-20-2018 11:22 PM
cole run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cole run Click here to Send cole run a Private Message Find more posts by cole run Add cole run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Big Charity Hunt

I like all aspects of it. Like Billy said a pile of 1000 dead Coon might overide any good in some eyes. I like the use of a simple lie detector test. Maybe send tags out to tag them. But even if they paid 300,000$ to Wounded Warriors that is still great. I will be there team or not just to support a great cause. Either I will spend 5000 or 1250. Music, food, entertainment = a great weekend.

Great cause.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 01-20-2018 11:24 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

I personally dont think this hunt will happen. Its a long way off but it would surprise me. I live right close to Cadiz and work right in Cadiz. Most of the land there is state ground and dogged to death. Im headed there now and if i tree a couple coon in a few hours im doin real good.

Also, where are all these guides coming from? Who as a hunter theirself is gonna guide into the woods they hunt and have a big coon shooting massacre ? Not me and im sure not anybody else around here. Plus, Ohio rules as of a couple years ago, prohibited any type of competition on state property. Not sure if thats still the case but checking.

Last edited by Will Walker on 01-21-2018 at 12:35 AM

Old Post 01-21-2018 12:16 AM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I like the idea... but don't see the need to harvest the coons. If you have a judge there to see the coon... good enough. Something that big, if it happened, would get lots of press... why add the negative press? And that really seems to have the potential to hurt the coon population.

Another question?? Why not run it in 4 regions in one night... still give the big pay out to the most coon overall??? Having 30 teams X 4 regions sounds a lot more manageable.

That said, to whoever is trying to set it up.. my hats off to you. Great idea. I love big thinking outside the box. Good luck to you.

dk

Old Post 01-21-2018 01:38 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The harvesting of of the coon has the possibility of bad press. But some facts gathered on how many coon are harvested by coonhunters in that area over those three days compared to what this hunt will harvest can offset that. Along with a coon skinning contest and the proceeds of the hides going to the same charity could diminish any negative press.

Far as cheating. When you have skin in the game it is always a bigger a concern. Just like todays game with the Pats and Jaguars. Those refs have rules to enforce. The outcome of the game will probably be determined on if they call a strict game or let some things slide.

Old Post 01-21-2018 11:21 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Derek Grimm
UKC Forum Member

I’m like everyone else when it comes to this.... I want to see it go, but also think it’s going to be a nightmare! When contacted by us local coon hunters we were told casts would be sent up to 3 hours away? I was interested in entering but was told I could not guide my team??? Yes I have the cash to enter and our club was actually thinking of sponsoring a team or 2 to enter this thing but there is no way I’m spending my money or my clubs and taking a chance to get drawn out 3 hours away in December when it will probably snow to beat the band anyway I think if it does go there will be too many guides and judges who no absolutely nothing about coon hunting which to me puts the hunters and especially the dogs at too great of a risk in my opinion

Old Post 01-21-2018 11:55 AM
Derek Grimm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Derek Grimm Click here to Send Derek Grimm a Private Message Click Here to Email Derek Grimm Find more posts by Derek Grimm Add Derek Grimm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

Where is Bill Morris?

Old Post 01-21-2018 08:38 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

Where is Bill Morris?

Old Post 01-21-2018 08:38 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote