UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding questions?
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DMW
UKC Forum Member

Breeding questions?

It's pretty much a proven fact that line breeding works. Is there a point that is too much, When is it time to bring in new blood?
What normally happens when breeding two tightly line bred dogs with completely different pedigrees?

Let's assume these crosses are made with good finished dogs with similar traits.

I'm always wanting to learn and ponder information. I have my thoughts and opinions, but they are subject to change. All information is appreciated!! Thanks

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2018 10:54 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

when you find a fault ya can't live with it's time for some outcrossing.

Old Post 01-14-2018 12:58 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The hardest part is finding the right dogs to breed...
If starting to line breed dogs that are mostly outcrossed then study the dogs and then inbreed the two best candidates and then decide which way to go...the grandsire or the granddams side...

If both lines are line red and are basically the same type of dogs but different bloodlines and you cross them and the pups look good then choose the sire or dams line to linebreed off of...

Line breeding works when breeding the right dogs...

Breeding better dogs...half of it is selecting the right dogs to breed...the other half is keeping the right pups to hunt and breed...

There are excuses and there are reasons on the why’s and why not’s...

Test and select pups that are naturals in winding, trailing, drifting and treeing...breeding these types begets more of the same...

If we have to feed lots of tracks to make a dog then you can expect the same from the offspring...

Once we have a dog with about 3 generations of solid dogs behind it it can be the dog you breed many of your females with if he is proving himself...

Purifying a bloodline does not mean there won’t be better pups or worse pups than expected...but it should mean that the percentages of better pups per litter should be going up...this is a combination of theories and experience...

Old Post 01-14-2018 07:37 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

One of the problems I see is the breeders do not see the faults in the dogs they are breeding.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 01-14-2018 07:57 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I'm not a breeder but I would venture that one would want to outcross when looking for a specific trait that there current line is lacking

Old Post 01-14-2018 08:42 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breeding questions?

quote:
Originally posted by DMW
It's pretty much a proven fact that line breeding works. Is there a point that is too much, When is it time to bring in new blood?
What normally happens when breeding two tightly line bred dogs with completely different pedigrees?

Let's assume these crosses are made with good finished dogs with similar traits.

I'm always wanting to learn and ponder information. I have my thoughts and opinions, but they are subject to change. All information is appreciated!! Thanks

"Proven fact that linebreeding works?" Where is this proof you offer?

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-14-2018 08:54 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Opinion or fact. jiM that is the trouble most post are posted as fact with little proof to back it up. While opinions in some cases are valid but other times not so much.

Old Post 01-14-2018 09:08 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Evidently line breeding works in the Black and Tans they all look the same to me some might even be a touch inbred lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-14-2018 09:14 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Now that was uncalled for yadkintar no one ever called a walker dog a slick treeing idiots. BUT U may be correct on the inbred...... KEEPING IT PURE....... What U think

Old Post 01-14-2018 09:35 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Lol I am bored ain't nothing good on tv and I done had my nap lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-14-2018 09:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Tar

It just dawned on me we may have confused inbreeding wit line breeding, It's close aint it

Old Post 01-14-2018 09:47 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Some statements can not be scientifically "proven". But they are based on valid assumptions so they are generally accepted as "facts". And when stating that linebreeding "works", you first need to state what "works" means. If you are trying to "fix" or make dominant a certain trait or traits in your breeding stock then linebreeding can "work" to do that. That is a generally accepted fact. But that doesn't mean that some won't argue with or against it.

Old Post 01-14-2018 09:47 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

For any of it to work you have to be a resposible breeder the cream always rises to the top and you have to be ready to eliminate the ones that don't. I breed my own dogs and somtimes it worked and somtimes it was a complete flop but the ones that worked I have enjoyed. In the end that's all that matters.

Tar

Old Post 01-14-2018 09:56 PM
elvis
UKC Forum Member

Ive made enough crosses to know I don't know how to produce super dogs.
Ive also come to realize nobody else does either.
Its a crapshoot and one just has to get lucky to produce a litter of what we are all looking for.

Old Post 01-14-2018 11:00 PM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
The hardest part is finding the right dogs to breed...
If starting to line breed dogs that are mostly outcrossed then study the dogs and then inbreed the two best candidates and then decide which way to go...the grandsire or the granddams side...

If both lines are line red and are basically the same type of dogs but different bloodlines and you cross them and the pups look good then choose the sire or dams line to linebreed off of...

Line breeding works when breeding the right dogs...

Breeding better dogs...half of it is selecting the right dogs to breed...the other half is keeping the right pups to hunt and breed...

There are excuses and there are reasons on the why’s and why not’s...

Test and select pups that are naturals in winding, trailing, drifting and treeing...breeding these types begets more of the same...

If we have to feed lots of tracks to make a dog then you can expect the same from the offspring...

Once we have a dog with about 3 generations of solid dogs behind it it can be the dog you breed many of your females with if he is proving himself...

Purifying a bloodline does not mean there won’t be better pups or worse pups than expected...but it should mean that the percentages of better pups per litter should be going up...this is a combination of theories and experience...

This says it pretty well. The major problem is getting input information on dogs that evaluates the same traits in the same order of IMPORTANCE as you do.
The only thing scarcer than outstanding dogs is finding someone who evaluates them like you do.
I often see references for preference for only dominant traits. Some of the traits I desire are recessive; outstanding tracking ability and intelligence are examples. A dominant trait I don't want is aggressive, alpha behavior. Proper selection of individuals is the key to success whether it is accidental or scientifically decided. Test mating of potential mates is a must. An outstanding individual is either a hybrid or a step closer to purity and perfection. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I have more experience with failure than success. You should learn from your failures as well as your successes.

Old Post 01-15-2018 04:32 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis
Its a crapshoot and one just has to get lucky to produce a litter of what we are all looking for.

Isn't it more like a card game? Luck plays a major role but there is a certain amount of skill involved also. You have to play the odds, stay focused and know what cards are where. Professional card players lose but they win more than they lose.

Old Post 01-15-2018 04:43 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It's satisfying to me to watch each new genration I raise to have traits and actions that their great grand parents had and in the end all they got to do is suit me anyways. Buuuuut when sombody let's say like Richard takes the time and effort to be selective and hits the bullseye with a cross boy do people come out of the woodwork to take credit seldom is credit given where credit deserved.

Tar

Old Post 01-15-2018 04:49 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

My Grandson with a 3rd Generation pup.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-15-2018 04:55 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The Look...

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...over the years I used to look at and study the great coon dogs pictured in full cry...still do...just looking for the small details people sometimes don’t even think about...lots of times in some of the well known dogs...is to see what I have seen in some of my best dogs...

It is an aloofness...a sophisticated air about them...a self confident attitude...my interpretation of what I see in these dogs is the confidence to get it done with or without help and these dogs are strictly business when the tailgate drops...these dogs tend to have what we want in a hunting dog...

Some of these dogs will have “The Look” when puppies as well...

Developing an eye for what a good hunting dog is...this will help in breeding better dogs...

Old Post 01-16-2018 01:16 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elvis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Isn't it more like a card game? Luck plays a major role but there is a certain amount of skill involved also. You have to play the odds, stay focused and know what cards are where. Professional card players lose but they win more than they lose.

If your lucky you may see 2 or 3 dogs in a yrs time that are top shelf coondogs. Those 2 or 3 are as likely to be from accidental breedings as they are from long time educated breeders.

Last edited by elvis on 01-16-2018 at 01:43 AM

Old Post 01-16-2018 01:36 AM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the information.

Thank you all for all the information. One of you even emailed me an article that I very much enjoyed and learned from.
Again, thanks to all.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 01-16-2018 01:57 AM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Was Mr Clean from an accidental breeding?
How about Sackett Jr?
How about Rat Attack?

Old Post 01-16-2018 02:30 AM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Reuben, I agree with you on your point, I have had the same observations through the years. When I have a litter of pups i watch for 2 things, the traits of the parents i bred and that air that you are talking about. Can usually have my pup picked from the litter at 5 or 6 weeks old. Ain't been without for nearly 20 yrs now.....

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:20 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have read the books. I know what correct line breeding does for the live stock industry.

I have seen several different line bred females make an important impact on our hounds. Most were accidnetal breedings.

Before I go any further we can't talk about any type of breeding before we describe what you want the results to be. Line breeding works great with tangibles or things you can see. Most anyone can line breed dogs to produce a particular color pattern. Same goes for size, and ear length. Those are things we can see and eliminate from the breeding those that don't fit our pattern. It is all those hidden things or intangibles that most men can't even agree upon is why we generally don't line breed for with success. Those things are generally the things that put coon in the trees.

Again, lets go back to what you want. Find some dogs that match what your looking for. Study their pedigrees. Where they line bred?

Unfortunately getting old and coonhunting has made me loose faith in what people say and do. I have seen this more with the guys trying to line breed than with the guys that are just trying to breed a good hound. The line breeders believe so much in what they are doing they not only fool the public but the start to fool themselves. Do you know any many that puts years into something admit he is not accomplishing what he thought he would. I haven't.
Again what is your goal. I don't think it is that a hard to breed a dog that will just go down by the creek and tree a coon. It is hard to find the dog that you can put against the top dogs being competition hunted day in and day out and compete and win. Thats the pups I have always wanted to raise and they are hard to come by. Two biggest failures in my breeding experiences were from Line Bred Litters. The Sire and the Dams were one from the same sire and the other from the same dam. I won't mention their names but if you won't find many dogs that have reproduced more money winners from coast to coast.
Both lattes of pups in my opinion were 90% culls. On paper I could write a story about what they should have done to surpass any dog alive. In the woods they were culls. I think too many line breeders have way too much stock in their hounds not to try and sell you on something that is not there. Its hard to look at a young dog that you have won thousands of dollars with their parents and say it is a CULL. And to add to the example. The female I line bred was outcrossed on her only other breeding and a young dog out of that litter is right at $10,000 in winnings. I am a breed the best to the best. Let others hunt the rest, type of guy.

Old Post 01-16-2018 01:40 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I have done this for 55 yrs. What I know for sure, I don't know nothing. I have bred TOP females to TOP stud dogs and got a litter of idiots. And to save a little face it has worked sometimes. It is a trap shoot wing it out there and hope you hit it. But there is the human element.

Old Post 01-16-2018 01:56 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote