UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > General question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
stew
UKC Forum Member

General question

I have been hunting squirrel dogs about 22 years. I have had some good ones but most needed culling. Why not try a 1/2 coonhound and half something else say lab, heeler etc. give me the pros and cons of this for a squirrel dog.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-21-2018 10:45 PM
stew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stew Click here to Send stew a Private Message Click Here to Email stew Find more posts by stew Add stew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

ONE OF THE BEST TREE DOGS I EVER HEARD WAS SOME KIND OF SHEPPARD. HE WOULD BRING AT LEAST 5 GRAND IN TODAYS MARKET. IVE CONSIDERED ADOPTING A YOUNG DOG N GIVING IT A GO. GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE!

Old Post 01-21-2018 11:10 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Mixing

Half of these breeds are messed up anyways. I think if we start using other breeds itíll just get worse but that is my own opinion

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 01-21-2018 11:11 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Visit MIKE CARDER's homepage! Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stew
UKC Forum Member

Iím not saying Iím going to breed like this Iím looking for accidental breeding etc

Old Post 01-21-2018 11:21 PM
stew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stew Click here to Send stew a Private Message Click Here to Email stew Find more posts by stew Add stew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kylej15
UKC Forum Member

I'm fixing to give this a try on cats I'm going to pick a couple a really good looking hounds that are walker x pointer.

Old Post 01-21-2018 11:49 PM
kylej15 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kylej15 Click here to Send kylej15 a Private Message Click Here to Email kylej15 Find more posts by kylej15 Add kylej15 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stew
UKC Forum Member

I just believe I stand a good of chance getting a squirrel dog by getting a mix than I do buying cur or feist pup that is so line and in breed that its sense and ability is breed out not enhanced.

Old Post 01-22-2018 01:14 AM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Funny that you post this, I picked up a pair of super nice half cur, half black and tan pups today that I hope make top squirrel dogs.

With coonhounds, I'm of the opinion that a man can go find just about any combination of traits he desires within a particular breed if he'll do his homework. Want a big mouth? Need something with a ton of hunt? Prefer an open trailer or something tight on the ground? You can find lines or strains that accommodate those preferences with just a little studying and a few phone calls.

The pups I picked up today are out of a cur with outstanding handle, that's as good a treedog as there is. There mother is from a line of hounds that have a ton of go, and are big mouthed treedogs as well. I'm hoping for a dog out of this cross with more sense and handle than most hounds, and a tad more nose and hunt than most curs.

Old Post 01-22-2018 01:32 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stew
UKC Forum Member

I believe you will have as good or better luck turning them into a squirrel dog as would anything else.

Old Post 01-22-2018 02:22 AM
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Funny that you post this, I picked up a pair of super nice half cur, half black and tan pups today that I hope make top squirrel dogs.

With coonhounds, I'm of the opinion that a man can go find just about any combination of traits he desires within a particular breed if he'll do his homework. Want a big mouth? Need something with a ton of hunt? Prefer an open trailer or something tight on the ground? You can find lines or strains that accommodate those preferences with just a little studying and a few phone calls.

The pups I picked up today are out of a cur with outstanding handle, that's as good a treedog as there is. There mother is from a line of hounds that have a ton of go, and are big mouthed treedogs as well. I'm hoping for a dog out of this cross with more sense and handle than most hounds, and a tad more nose and hunt than most curs.

That pair is real purdy too. 😀

Old Post 01-22-2018 02:23 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

I think it was back in 2004 at the PKC World Squirrel Hunt in Ill. They had some of the Best Curs in the world their, State champions, Big Money winners, State leaders and all, A full blooded hound came from the bottom up and got in the final cast and Won it all. I think that hound treed 10 squirrels. Now I would like to ask these Cur guys how that could have happened, when they say a hound wouldn't stand a chance against a Cur? If the Curs are so good why don't they win a truck with them against the hounds? JMO Something to think about.....

Old Post 01-22-2018 04:38 AM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
I think it was back in 2004 at the PKC World Squirrel Hunt in Ill. They had some of the Best Curs in the world their, State champions, Big Money winners, State leaders and all, A full blooded hound came from the bottom up and got in the final cast and Won it all. I think that hound treed 10 squirrels. Now I would like to ask these Cur guys how that could have happened, when they say a hound wouldn't stand a chance against a Cur? If the Curs are so good why don't they win a truck with them against the hounds? JMO Something to think about.....

Squirrel comp hunt rules strongly favor a "hound type dog". So much so that several KCs won't let them hunt including UKC. I hunt all kinds of dogs and like both.
As far as hunting curs against hounds on coon , the majority of curs are silent trailers and closer hunting dogs. I've seen a few curs ( and farm mutts ) that would hold their own with any dog if you eliminated the strike points. Apples and oranges.
I don't know who "they " are but saying any breed of tree dog in a tree dog competition couldn't win would be foolish even if it was a bluetick. 😂

Last edited by Jeff Prince on 01-22-2018 at 07:43 AM

Old Post 01-22-2018 07:29 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote