UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting Known mean dogs in hunts
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Midnightghost
UKC Forum Member

First off I think if you never had a dog scratched for fighting you haven't run a bunch of hunts. There will be the time when two dogs just don't get a long. If a person keeps having trouble with a mean dog then you need to look at the dog you are leading. I personally want one to stay with a grizzly bear. The dogs that seems to always be in the mix to win the big hunts you can bet one thing they WILL be at the base of the tree when you get there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-24-2018 02:05 PM
Midnightghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Midnightghost Click here to Send Midnightghost a Private Message Click Here to Email Midnightghost Find more posts by Midnightghost Add Midnightghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Wont start nothing BUT won't take nothing either

I hunt with my buddy who has 3 dogs I hunt with 2 of them but the other one that won't start nothing is so mean you got to watch when you get to his tree not to shine your light on him so it cast a shadow because he will fight that shadow till you take the light off him. BUT HE WON'T START NOTHING HE JUST WON'T TAKE NOTHING that is why NO ONE AROUND HERE will hunt with him.
So I don't understand several statements made about mean dogs.
What is FANG pressure
What is the meaning of wont start nothing.
What does can't run him off a tree will stay with a GRIZZLY BEAR mean
Won't take nothing.
What is the difference between a mean Male dog and a Female dog does that mean one is better than the other.
Aint never had on never will have one and won't ever hunt with one period.

Old Post 01-24-2018 02:25 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

This is my definition of "fang pressure" only....
2-4 dogs r dropped .
Dogs/handler r not aquainted.
Dogs get treed....go in score the tree.. plusM up.
U notice that ur dog has superficial wounds on it.
It been in an altercation.
But it stayed.
It held "fang pressure"
U decide if u withdraw ur dog or not .
Me, I'm turning loose again.

Old Post 01-24-2018 04:11 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Just asking

Was your dog the one that dished out the superficial wound or received it?
And do you think by cutting loose again the situation is going to improve? Looks like sooner or later there would be enough superficial wounds that at some point they may become gaping wounds.
Remember I don't care either way just won't opinions.

Old Post 01-24-2018 10:35 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Mr Meyer I understand what you're saying. But not every dog is like that. I've never seen a dog try and fight his shadows. I don't think his elevator goes to the top floor. I have hunted with dogs you'd be warned about walking in front of while shinning. And some that literally wouldn't start a fight, but wouldn't leave the tree. And I've seen the aggressor of the situation learn pretty quickly he wasn't as big n bad as he thought.

Fang pressure to me is doesn't matter how rough the other dogs get on the tree, that dog will stay through thick and thin.

Now I don't think having dog that's labeled mean makes your dog mean. But if your dog won't let any other dog on a tree with it, its a mean dog.

Old Post 01-24-2018 10:53 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
This is my definition of "fang pressure" only....
2-4 dogs r dropped .
Dogs/handler r not aquainted.
Dogs get treed....go in score the tree.. plusM up.
U notice that ur dog has superficial wounds on it.
It been in an altercation.
But it stayed.
It held "fang pressure"
U decide if u withdraw ur dog or not .
Me, I'm turning loose again.

Thanks for your definition.....

Last edited by RJ Burks on 01-25-2018 at 10:22 AM

Old Post 01-25-2018 12:21 AM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I can’t believe how lucky I have been in my life of coon hunting. People talk all this stuff about mean dogs on the tree in a hunt.

In my life I have had dogs get into it in the box and in the kennel. I have NEVER saw a dog fight at a tree. I have seen tight tree dogs blow at one another but I have never saw a dog fight at a tree. I never even worry about drawing a mean dog. I figure if they setting over there alone you don’t have to worry about it.

Old Post 01-25-2018 02:16 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
I can’t believe how lucky I have been in my life of coon hunting. People talk all this stuff about mean dogs on the tree in a hunt.

In my life I have had dogs get into it in the box and in the kennel. I have NEVER saw a dog fight at a tree. I have seen tight tree dogs blow at one another but I have never saw a dog fight at a tree. I never even worry about drawing a mean dog. I figure if they setting over there alone you don’t have to worry about it.

x2 have seen a lot more arguing from most guys in cast than mean dogs.

Old Post 01-25-2018 06:46 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

NOW I GOT IT

Yawl tell me if I have this figured out. OK you are hunting with 2 dogs one is known through the coon dog world as a mean dog I'm
saying a alligator, both dogs are treed you hear a scuffle at the tree get to the tree and your dog is the only one treeing the mean dog is standing back peeking a the tree booger barking, look at both dogs and there are "superficial' wounds on both dogs". Now what does that say about your dog?
1...... is he meaner than the alligator ?
2...... wont start nothing just wont take nothing?
NOW how bout scratching both dogs cause you know a fight broke out you heard it going to the tree AND there is evidence saying so.
You know the answer as well as I ............... NOTHING ..........
Why? That is the question.

Old Post 01-25-2018 12:54 PM
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I think the popularity of deep and alone evolved from dogs that are by themselves avoid bad tree situations. The ones you want to avoid is the first strike second tree dog thats always alone! At the end of the day if you are going to run up and down the road and want to win you have to have three things, dog has to go hunting, dog has to have coons, and they have to stay.

Old Post 01-25-2018 01:40 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

If I "HEAR" it both dogs r scratched / wrote up. Includeing mine .
**** happens , sooner or later.
So my dog gets wrote up.
Big deal !
It doesn't mean it's mean just stood his ground .

Old Post 01-25-2018 02:41 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Jamerson, I disagree with your opinion of how the "always alone" dogs came about. They are a product of one hour hunts as is the tree countdown. You cannot share points in a one hour hunt and win.

Old Post 01-25-2018 02:50 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
Mr. Jamerson, I disagree with your opinion of how the "always alone" dogs came about. They are a product of one hour hunts as is the tree countdown. You cannot share points in a one hour hunt and win.

I disagree with your opinion, the first few big time winners that were deep and alone came along before the one hour hunts were popular. I know a couple of the guys that were the first to promote these type of dogs, and one of the key factors were you dont have the problems on the tree that you did with pack animals, not the only factor though. Dogs that pack all night can evolve into nothing more than a calling contest. The first few dogs i think were just natural that way, now i think a lot are man made. If you tell me that the strike off the lead for a hundred that never shuts up and gets treed with a coon is a by product of one hour hunts i would agree 100%. Back in early eighties when there was pretty much nothing but ukc hunts in Va. you had to have one that could stay or you would suck up some minus.

Old Post 01-25-2018 03:43 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote