UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Another Hit on Grain Free Diets!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ahallada
UKC Forum Member

Another Hit on Grain Free Diets!

The veterinary profession has been studying the effects of BEG style diets on the myocardium of dogs. These include Boutique, Exotic, and Grain Free diets. What has been discovered is there is an over representation of dogs being fed these style of foods and Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Here is a good summary from a Veterinary Nutritionist. At first it was thought to be related to Taurine amino acid deficiency, but that has been debunked now.

http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/11/dcm-update/

Doc

Current:

PKC Ch. Gr.Nt.Ch. Cat Scratch Fever
(Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Aftershock x Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Outlaw Breanna)
2016 Finished to PKC Ch. in one week!

Dual Grand Champion CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. All Grand Outlaw G-Man
(Gr.Nt.Ch.Glissens JJ Jr. x Gr.Nt.Ch. Outlaw Billy Jean)
4 Generations of All Grand Nite Champions!
Timber Jack 3X and Timber Chopper over 30X
2019 Southern National Redbone Days Champion
2016 National Grand Nite Champion Redbone
2016 CHKC Redbone Days Champion
2016 PKC Super Stakes Reserve Champion
2016 CHKC Elite Shootout Winner - Texas
CHKC All Time Money Winning Redbone

Bodacious
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch.PKC. Gold Ch.CHKC CH. Outlaw G-Man x Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. Classy Cali)

Past:
Gr.Nt.Ch.Ch. Dawns Timber Jack
1988 American Redbone Days All Red Hunt Winner
1989 UKC World Champion Redbone
1989 Purina Outstanding Redbone Coonhound
#2 Historic Redbone Sire/ Top 20 All Breeds
American Redbone Coonhound Assoc. Hall of Fame

Gr.Nt.Ch. Bussrow Bottom Brandy II
1991 American Redbone Days Champion
1992 AKC World Champion Redbone
1992 ACHA World Champion Redbone
1992 Wisconsin State Champion
1994 US Redbone Days Opposite Sex
Produced 2 Nt. Ch. , 1 Gr.Nt.Ch. out of 2 litters and two Redbone Days Winners

Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. PKC Gold Ch. Layton's Classy Cali
2012 UKC World Champion Redbone and 7th Place Overall
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 UKC World Champion Redbone Female
2015 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Hunt Winner - Goodsprings, AL
2015 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Series Race - 3rd Place Overall
2016 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Hunt Winner - New Albany, MS
2016 PKC Texas State Race Winner
2016 PKC Redbone Breed Race Winner
PKC All Time Money Winning Redbone

PKC Ch. Gr.Nt.Ch. Coffman's Smokin Red Buck
2016 UKC World Hunt 5th Place and World Champion Redbone
2016 National Redbone Days Overall Winner

Gr.Nt.Ch. Reinhart's Central Page
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Brandy II)

Gr.Nt.Ch. Too the Maxx
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Jenkins Crying Katie)
1992 National Redbone Days Champion

Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch. Ambraw River Rock
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch. Hersh's Huntin Red Kate)
1992 US Redbone Days Opposite Sex

Nt.Ch. Tree Bustin Annabelle
1986 American Redbone Days All Red Hunt Winner

Nt.Ch. Timber Mace
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack X Nt.Ch. Tree Bustin Annabelle)
Mother of Gr.Nt.Ch. Babb's Hazel

Nt. Ch. Timber Shock
(Gr.Nt.Ch.Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Outlaw Jessie)

Gr. Ch. Nt. Ch. Squaw Mountain Goldie
(Direct Daughter of Gr.Nt.Ch.Smokey Mountain Brandy)
1990 Autumn Oaks Best of Show Winner
1988 Indiana State Champion

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-07-2019 03:06 AM
ahallada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahallada Click here to Send ahallada a Private Message Click Here to Email ahallada Find more posts by ahallada Add ahallada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

I read this entire article, and there is one statement that sum the whole thing up for me.

What’s causing diet-associated DCM in dogs? For the vast majority of dogs, we do not yet know what is causing this disease.

Now, here’s my question..

Of all the dogs tested, how many are standard breeds, how many are these new “designer” breeds, how many are physically active on a regular basis like a hound or a police dog? How many dogs have been tested for this report?

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 05-07-2019 03:53 AM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahallada
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnharris
I read this entire article, and there is one statement that sum the whole thing up for me.

What’s causing diet-associated DCM in dogs? For the vast majority of dogs, we do not yet know what is causing this disease.

Now, here’s my question..

Of all the dogs tested, how many are standard breeds, how many are these new “designer” breeds, how many are physically active on a regular basis like a hound or a police dog? How many dogs have been tested for this report?

Those are all great questions. This has been a fairly recent finding within the veterinary profession so there are a few things we don't know yet, like what exactly is causing it. This is not a study where they are subjecting dogs to the diets and then testing them for DCM. These are Cardiologists who are reporting dogs who are diagnosed with DCM and a history is obtained to find out what kind of diet they have been fed.

I will tell you this, the Grain Free Diet is better for your pet stuff is about to be debunked in dogs and cats. It was BS from the start. The companies that started this trend didn't even have nutritionists or veterinarians on board to provide any studies on their foods and claims. When you remove natural sources of key nutrients from diets and then have to supplement with artificial ingredients to make up for it, it is never a good thing. The iodine supplementation issue is just one problem we are facing with our hounds right now.

Doc

Current:

(Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Aftershock x Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Outlaw Breanna)

Bodacious
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch.PKC. Gold Ch.CHKC CH. Outlaw G-Man x Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. Classy Cali)

Past:

Gr.Nt.Ch. Too the Maxx

Nt.Ch. Timber Mace

Nt. Ch. Timber Shock

Old Post 05-08-2019 03:41 AM
ahallada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahallada Click here to Send ahallada a Private Message Click Here to Email ahallada Find more posts by ahallada Add ahallada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ahallada
Those are all great questions. This has been a fairly recent finding within the veterinary profession so there are a few things we don't know yet, like what exactly is causing it. This is not a study where they are subjecting dogs to the diets and then testing them for DCM. These are Cardiologists who are reporting dogs who are diagnosed with DCM and a history is obtained to find out what kind of diet they have been fed.

I will tell you this, the Grain Free Diet is better for your pet stuff is about to be debunked in dogs and cats. It was BS from the start. The companies that started this trend didn't even have nutritionists or veterinarians on board to provide any studies on their foods and claims. When you remove natural sources of key nutrients from diets and then have to supplement with artificial ingredients to make up for it, it is never a good thing. The iodine supplementation issue is just one problem we are facing with our hounds right now.

Doc

I have been saying this all along....

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 05-08-2019 04:31 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Me thinks y’all are thinking to much there’s a whole bunch of us out there that are having no problems feeding the same feeds y’all are having problems with. I feed victor purple bag my son feeds Purina dog chow his has bigger dookie to clean up that’s the only difference.

Tar

Old Post 05-08-2019 04:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

ME-THINKS TAR BABY is right , is this one of those # ME- TOO moments Tar?

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 05-09-2019 12:41 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Me thinks some give their professional opinion and stirs the kettle because they reap a nice profit in doing so.

Tar

Old Post 05-09-2019 12:53 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

All can say is after taking my female off off grain free feed, she had her first full heat cycle a few months later at 2 years old

Old Post 05-09-2019 12:54 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Maybe she just wasent in the mood.

Tar

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:05 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I think variety is good in a dogs diet , real bones uncooked, raw meat some bacon grease, eggs , raw liver , table scraps etc. along with any of the good to decent quality dog foods out there.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:13 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Maybe, maybe not, who knows, I just try to learn from experience. The school of hard knocks is about the only advanced education I have and I don't mind getting a little professional advice, doesn't mean I have to use it, but I can

Last edited by sleepy head on 05-09-2019 at 01:22 AM

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:14 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Mrs tar will be home tomorrow night I am going to tell her no steak tonight honey nothen but corn for you lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:30 AM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Mrs tar will be home tomorrow night I am going to tell her no steak tonight honey nothen but corn for you lol.

Tar

I've always enjoyed a corn fed woman. JS

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:32 AM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Me thinks people are wearing blinders. Guess they never saw 1 person drink a drink and drive home, yet another is drunk as a skunk, or 1 takes pain meds and goes to work, and another sleeps for 16 hours, or that chemical suppliments beats natural for everyone all the same. People are the same and Not every animal reacts the same... And BTW... Purple wasn't the color of choice and you know that...
But hey.. If anyone wants a good food to TEST... I would be happy to name a few for you all to try. But please, use exactly the ones I mention... Lol

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:32 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Just an opinion along with the thyroid , heat cycle thing , could it be genetic flaws being amplified due to to many shots and such along with diet?

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:36 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Purina high pro in the blue bag was the best feed year around I ever fed then they quit making it they say retriever high pro is the same thing I just ain’t got the guts to try it. We can’t even get the red bag of ( v) here so must be something to it the purple is not grain free. My buddy feeds ole Roy red bag you let those beagles out all 8 of them walk right the way your going 20 yards hump up and dookie all at the same time geez you can’t breath !! That’s the stinkingest stuff I ever smelled ! It’s like walking in a mine field it will eat the bottom off your shoe lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:48 AM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
Just an opinion along with the thyroid , heat cycle thing , could it be genetic flaws being amplified due to to many shots and such along with diet?

In my case, 4 females, 3 different bloodlines, from 1-6 years old. All stopped having heat cycles at then same time... And all started back having them the same time after switching food. Have used the same brand shots, worm medicine, heartworm preventative, same flea and tick preventative, same farms, same house, same well water, no additional fertilizer or weed killer on farms.... Search my name... You'll see... Not the first post.. It got poofed...

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 05-09-2019 02:03 AM
ahallada
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Me thinks some give their professional opinion and stirs the kettle because they reap a nice profit in doing so.

Tar

Not me. Heck my dogs don't even eat the stuff I sell in my office. I can't afford it. lol

Current:

Bodacious

Past:

Gr.Nt.Ch. Too the Maxx

Nt.Ch. Timber Mace

Nt. Ch. Timber Shock

Old Post 05-09-2019 02:12 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Harley I am not disagreeing with you at all , it is highly likely a combination of things from diet issues , amplified through recessive genes , look it takes a long time for some of these problems to surface , whether through selective breeding , nutrition, breakthroughs in modern medicine etc. , just look at some of the medicines they advertise on tv the side effects could be worse than what you got. Each of us is probably right in some fashion , but we also each have very different pieces to the same puzzle.

Old Post 05-09-2019 02:15 AM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
Harley I am not disagreeing with you at all , it is highly likely a combination of things from diet issues , amplified through recessive genes , look it takes a long time for some of these problems to surface , whether through selective breeding , nutrition, breakthroughs in modern medicine etc. , just look at some of the medicines they advertise on tv the side effects could be worse than what you got. Each of us is probably right in some fashion , but we also each have very different pieces to the same puzzle.

What I have found is chemicals replacing natural ingredients, overabundance of iodine, and a killer... Potassium iodide... Used as an iodine replacement. Look it up and see What it is. Some of your $40-$60 a bag food use it.
I have zero problems since going back to old school food

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 05-09-2019 at 05:54 AM

Old Post 05-09-2019 03:20 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I've always enjoyed a corn fed woman. JS

Warm in the winter and shade in the summer!
JS thank you for lightening the mood of all this doom and gloom!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-09-2019 06:28 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote