UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Opinions
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
stonec
UKC Forum Member

Opinions

I want to hear opinions on how early to start a pup when to give up how old is to old I hear the phrase late bloomer a lot so let's hear your input

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-2014 12:11 AM
stonec is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonec Click here to Send stonec a Private Message Click Here to Email stonec Find more posts by stonec Add stonec to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonec
UKC Forum Member

My opinion

I prefer taking them as eArly as possible round four months I also like one that starts eArly but I've seen buddies with a dog fourteen months old that wouldn't pay a coon any attention and they say he is a late bloomer I couldn't hAndle that

Old Post 02-20-2014 12:15 AM
stonec is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonec Click here to Send stonec a Private Message Click Here to Email stonec Find more posts by stonec Add stonec to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

I don't hunt one until it's big and strong enough to stay with the other dogs. If they can't stay with them, then they stay at home for another month. I usually don't take one out until they are at least 8 months old.

Old Post 02-20-2014 12:59 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

I think some of the babbling problem people have is trying to start dogs to young. They have trouble keeping up with an older dog an will get excited and start barking trying to keep up and it becomes a habit they keep the rest of their lives. 10 months is a good age if the pup is mature and over the wanting to play stage of it's life.

Old Post 02-20-2014 04:32 AM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

It depends on the pup. Some mature early some take longer. I like to work on obiedance loading and other handling at a early age. Don't do much in the woods until 8-9 months.

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 02-20-2014 06:30 AM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

Chris you're right about the early training. I've seen so many dogs dragging the handler because they were never taught to lead when they were young. When they get to the truck they have to pick up the dog and put it in the box, the dog will put there front feet on the tailgate but will not jump up on the tailgate. Leading and loading should be the first two things a dog is taught before they are ever taken to the woods. A dog that knows how to lead in thick brush and woods is a pleasure to have.

Old Post 02-20-2014 01:55 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maggard12
UKC Forum Member

training

quote:
Originally posted by J I Allen
Chris you're right about the early training. I've seen so many dogs dragging the handler because they were never taught to lead when they were young. When they get to the truck they have to pick up the dog and put it in the box, the dog will put there front feet on the tailgate but will not jump up on the tailgate. Leading and loading should be the first two things a dog is taught before they are ever taken to the woods. A dog that knows how to lead in thick brush and woods is a pleasure to have.
While everybody likes them to lead and load and I have seen MANY ruined by people trying to make them load. I have one right now that its obvious somebody has beat for not loading and the only thing she is worried about is getting in the dog box. In my opinion, this isnt the dogs fault. She's only doing what she was trained to do. She is so worried about getting in the box, it's hard to get her to hunt.

I have said this before and I will say it again. It all depends on the dog. Learn your dog and what works for it. There is absolutely no uniform training guide or technique. What works for one doesnt work for all, that simple.

RIP-BJ 12/17/2001-11/7/2009
Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 02-20-2014 02:03 PM
maggard12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maggard12 Click here to Send maggard12 a Private Message Visit maggard12's homepage! Find more posts by maggard12 Add maggard12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hmbdog1
UKC Forum Member

starting age 3 mths old plain and simple

I like to haul them young 3 to 4 mths I watch their hunting style at that young of age most 3 mth olds wont be able to keep up with the older dogs or dog if you just have a pup trainer.I want to see if they have desire and are out hunting at their pace or just running around back and fourth playing I watch to see if they will put nose to ground start wagging their tail,I like to see them busy hunting its really an easy thing be it daytime or night to tell. alot will depend on the terrain you hunt I have better success starting pups in easy terrain,That being said it dosent mean you cant have success starting a pup in harsh terrain either.I have had pups that started naturaly some I would make coon drags for, however you choose to train is up to you. I have a super high standard on pups improvement If they dont consistently want to go out and hunt be it with the older dogs or off doing their own hunting. If taken to the woods and given the chance to improve They must b running and treeing by 5 or 6 mths split treeing by 6 and 7 and treeing their own by themselves by eight mths old period.Guys dont get on here bashing I've been training pups up for 40yrs thats the part of coonhunting I love ,forget about an old coon treer thats boring.Let me see a pup progressing at a young age and I get warm and tingley and you should too.

Old Post 02-20-2014 02:06 PM
hmbdog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hmbdog1 Click here to Send hmbdog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email hmbdog1 Find more posts by hmbdog1 Add hmbdog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

How young they start doesn't matter much to me. How young they finish matters alot.

I'll try to spend those first few months making them my buddy, teaching them to come, lead, load, get through fences, find out what a coon is and so on. I like to first start taking them to the woods at 7-9 mos. old.

As far as when to give up, a lot of that depends on the genetics and whether they were hunted right. They need to show they have a strong desire to tree coons and that's mostly genetic. So, they have to want to go hunting. They have to want to tree and stay focused about it.

They also have to be hunted right. All the best genetics there is, in the hands of someone who doesn't hunt right or have a clue will produce a cull, eventually.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 02-20-2014 02:31 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

Maggard, I don't know who you got your dog from but they apparently didn't have a clue on how to teach a dog to load. I'm in my sixties and I've never had to beat a dog to teach it to load. If people will start by backing there truck up to a bank or placing something behind the truck to make it so they can just about step onto the tailgate and gradually increase the height you don't have to beat a dog to death to get it to load. The problem is they lead a dog to the truck and think taking a limb to it teaches it to load. People don't want to take the time to do it the way I do it, but all of my dogs load and weren't clubbed to death in the process.

Old Post 02-20-2014 02:34 PM
maggard12
UKC Forum Member

training

quote:
Originally posted by J I Allen
Maggard, I don't know who you got your dog from but they apparently didn't have a clue on how to teach a dog to load. I'm in my sixties and I've never had to beat a dog to teach it to load. If people will start by backing there truck up to a bank or placing something behind the truck to make it so they can just about step onto the tailgate and gradually increase the height you don't have to beat a dog to death to get it to load. The problem is they lead a dog to the truck and think taking a limb to it teaches it to load. People don't want to take the time to do it the way I do it, but all of my dogs load and weren't clubbed to death in the process.

that by far sounds like a better way than what I have seen people do. The dog I am talking about has been beat to death and it's sad. I just dont see the need in it. There are better methods than beating a dog and it seems many people dont understand it. I will be the first to tell you a dog has to have discipline and I have given my share of whippings but beating a dog until it is absolutely scared to death is pointless. At that point, a dog's chances of making a coon dog are slim to none as in the case with my female. My uncle has one as well that was abused because she didnt want to load. I guess it's a little off topic but my whole point was to say that every dog is different and every hunter is different. some of my dogs load, some dont. They all respond differently to different things. Some start early, some don't. Dogs are like people, they are all different which is why I say to know your dog and what works for it.

RIP-BJ 12/17/2001-11/7/2009
Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 02-20-2014 03:05 PM
maggard12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maggard12 Click here to Send maggard12 a Private Message Visit maggard12's homepage! Find more posts by maggard12 Add maggard12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Some of the worst dog fights I have ever seen came from dogs that loaded on there own. Some dogs are mean in the box, and when you have a dog that loads on there own watch the fur fly. I want my dog to only put there feet on the tailgate and I put them in the box. I've seen too many bad things happen with a dog that loads. O and the fights I saw were not from mean dogs in the timber.

Old Post 02-22-2014 12:52 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote