UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

How many

Are really satisfied with the dog they are hunting right now? Not looking for the next big thing or the next world beater but completely happy with their own coonhound?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-21-2019 01:50 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

I’m not but the one I’m hunting is only 14 months old so hopefully we’ll eventually get to that level. It’s gonna take a lot of hard work and dedication to get there tho..

Old Post 06-21-2019 02:54 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I've never been completely satisfied with a dog and likely never will be. 75% satisfied 75% of the time is about as close as I've come

Old Post 06-21-2019 03:42 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I've never been completely satisfied with a dog and likely never will be. 75% satisfied 75% of the time is about as close as I've come
X2

Old Post 06-21-2019 03:47 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:

X3, I have seen guys with lesser dogs that were completely happy with their dog and sometimes wish I could be like that.

Old Post 06-21-2019 04:12 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

I've got one I really like right now and will keep her until she dies. I have never seen one I wouldn't change something to make them better if I could.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 06-21-2019 07:31 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

The day you become complacent with what you have, you might as well quit. Ive owned a ton of dogs that could tree a coon, everyone had something I would change.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 06-21-2019 08:43 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Follow up question........

How many of you have had dogs had some things you wished you could change and decided grass was greener elsewhere and sold/got rid of your dog. Then found out it wasn't so easy to replace what you had?

Old Post 06-22-2019 12:17 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Something I have trouble understanding is that some hunters say a dog is a finished dog when he is dead because the dog is always learning...

I totally disagree with this mentality so I will use this reasoning as to why I do not agree...

Most professional athletes were awesome in high school, in college and then they are drafted into the professional leagues...some sports are so physical that their optimum performance is over at a fairly young age...so maybe I will use golfing as the example...so a golfer reaches his prime for the game at a young age and probably maintains a high level of performance for a good portion of his middle years...but at some point in his life he will not perform to the level he once did and will slowly decline from there...

Also, when thinking of being happy or not with the dog and changing this or that on said dog...again take a look towards the professional athletes...the very best aren’t perfect and they still make mistakes but they are still the very best...

I try to have realistic expectations when it comes to my dogs...at one time I had a line of dogs I was satisfied with and was always looking for opportunities to improve what I had but most the time I had trouble with that on account I was at a good place with them reproducing more of the same...but I felt like I was reasonable with the expectations...

Ask me now about the line I have right now...I like them well enough but they don’t hunt as well as I like and part of that is I don’t have the opportunity to hunt them as I once had...but the other part of me that would like or could change about them is that I don’t think they can consistently reproduce themselves at this time...maybe another two generations further...

Old Post 06-22-2019 12:56 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I bet the pct of dogs being disappointed in there owners is about the same.

Old Post 06-22-2019 01:17 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Follow up question........

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
How many of you have had dogs had some things you wished you could change and decided grass was greener elsewhere and sold/got rid of your dog. Then found out it wasn't so easy to replace what you had?

Many times. The stories of other dogs are always better than the performance of mine but what they do in the woods almost never matches the story.

Old Post 06-22-2019 03:11 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Apparently I've sold several too soon over the years. ....at least according to the ads I've seen wrote on the dog's two years later by a different owner. They either had a magic wand or maybe just a magic pencil lol

Old Post 06-22-2019 04:29 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Follow up question........

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Many times. The stories of other dogs are always better than the performance of mine but what they do in the woods almost never matches the story.

I've never seen someone's favorite dog that didn't get better after they're dead according to their stories. Can't prove them wrong then.

Old Post 06-22-2019 05:02 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant

This is sad but very true.

Old Post 06-22-2019 05:03 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant

Funniest post I've seen in awhile was a question of how many handlers would be culled if the dogs could rule.

Old Post 06-22-2019 05:19 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Apparently I've sold several too soon over the years. ....at least according to the ads I've seen wrote on the dog's two years later by a different owner. They either had a magic wand or maybe just a magic pencil lol

I've only sold 3 in my life but I have seen what your talking about several times. There is a dog being advertised at stud right now, great pedigree and good looking. He was on the low end of average just a few months ago when he was around here. Now he is walking on water.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-22-2019 06:10 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Don’t take this as brag it’s just fact. I cannot count the dogs I have either handled for other people or owned myself in the 40 yrs I have competition hunted that I have titled. When I am remembering old times there was only two that I thought was a cut above the rest. The rest are just dogs that could tree a coon. And it looks like people are satisfied with way less than they used to be.

Tar

Old Post 06-22-2019 06:25 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by trkrmsy
Funniest post I've seen in awhile was a question of how many handlers would be culled if the dogs could rule.

I don't care who you are that's funny right there , probably more truth in it too. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-24-2019 01:24 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Don’t take this as brag it’s just fact. I cannot count the dogs I have either handled for other people or owned myself in the 40 yrs I have competition hunted that I have titled. When I am remembering old times there was only two that I thought was a cut above the rest. The rest are just dogs that could tree a coon. And it looks like people are satisfied with way less than they used to be.

Tar

Now Tar are you saying that in these ads ole PT Barnum promotion style stuff is going on , or is it just old fashioned snake oil salesmanship? Good post by the way and you are right at the end of the day they are all just dogs not gods.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-24-2019 01:28 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well back in the day we depended on that dog to buy Christmas by having real live coons in it’s trees we won hunts with the same dog.

I will never forget we had probly 30 older hunters in our club I wish I would have had a movie camara we had a meeting with Jarvis about having $$$ hunts and the looks on all those old men’s faces when he told them you could win $$$ without treeing coons was priceless lol. Three of them got so offended they got up and went home lmbo !

Everything changes !

Tar

Old Post 06-24-2019 01:45 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Now there wouldn't be any more left if three got up and left!

Old Post 06-29-2019 01:40 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Same people at the ballparks training johnny to be World Class! when you look at the parents, the kid is going to be real close to them......average! Same with dogs the great ones are born and they are few and far between.
Average to there breed is normal, but everybody wants a world beater.
Take a good solid hound and enjoy him or her, and when and if a Great one comes along.... Thank the Lord above
I see so many guy's never happy, always searching......

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 06-29-2019 08:52 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gmccall
UKC Forum Member

Not sure yet Conrad may have ole number 7 in the kennel, time will tell. Anyway like my granddaddy said , still waitin' on the best one I ever had . lol

Old Post 06-29-2019 09:11 PM
Gmccall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gmccall Click here to Send Gmccall a Private Message Click Here to Email Gmccall Find more posts by Gmccall Add Gmccall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Take a good solid hound and enjoy him or her, and when and if a Great one comes along.... Thank the Lord above
I see so many guy's never happy, always searching......

👍👍

Old Post 06-29-2019 11:14 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Conrad

Excellent post, I can and do enjoy a good solid hound. I have been extremely fortunate to have owned 2 truly exceptional hounds and was blessed to hunt those 2 dogs, albeit many years apart. I currently own 1 of the 2 dogs mentioned, however he is almost 14 years old and retired to a life of luxury. Lol. He has earned that place and then some. I have a couple of good solid dogs that I hunt, not in his league, but good enough. Exceptional coondogs are rare indeed and most never own one in their lifetime, enjoy what you have and do not waste time chasing a needle in a haystack. Dave

Old Post 06-30-2019 12:12 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote