UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tar what do you say about these numbers?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Re: Sgraves

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Hunting off feeder buckets, etc. Is exactly why HIGH SCORE means nothing. It is deplorable that casts that have to hunt game lands or other less favorable spots have to compete with bucket hunting casts for high score. A cast winner elimination style format would eliminate the inequity, since the hunt Winner would have to compete in more than 1 cast. Why would anyone oppose a cast winner elimination style format that truly wants a real champion thst earned it. I can see those who have the honey hole spots wanting to maintain the high score concept, but what about those folks who travel long distance only to get a bad draw, but still win their cast only to not even place in the hunt. Cast winners advancing equals the playing field and negates the honey hole effect of high score winner. Dave
Yes sir , I agree with you all the way. I hope ukc considers going the cast winner format . We do have a lot of public ground that over half of the cast have to hunt at the winter classic. It’s good hunting. A person want get dry holed if he is hunting a dog that goes hunting.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-23-2019 12:50 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

When we was skinnen coons was it like oh well one coon is good enough or did you want to cover the barn ?

Tar

Old Post 10-23-2019 01:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
When we was skinnen coons was it like oh well one coon is good enough or did you want to cover the barn ?

Tar

Tar I was still young back when all the hide hunting was a big thing. But I would have to say that it was based on how many babies needed a new pair of shoes.

Old Post 10-23-2019 01:35 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It’s a pride thing from the older generation it was the same being high scoring dog of hunt or showing up at the hide buyers with the back of your pickup full of hides it meant you had a coondawg.

I mean how do you call a dog a coondawg when he won a hunt with one coon in two hours.

Just my take on it.

Tar

Old Post 10-23-2019 02:01 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

They hunted 330 dogs last night. That with the 20 that got through Mon night is 350 dogs. Oh my goodness, that has to be more than $75,000 in entry fees. They must have an awfully big wheelbarrow to tote all of that money to the bank every night. Professional coonhunting has sure become a big business. Who would have thought that it would come to this when they were skinning those coons.

Old Post 10-23-2019 02:05 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
They hunted 330 dogs last night. That with the 20 that got through Mon night is 350 dogs. Oh my goodness, that has to be more than $75,000 in entry fees. They must have an awfully big wheelbarrow to tote all of that money to the bank every night. Professional coonhunting has sure become a big business. Who would have thought that it would come to this when they were skinning those coons.

Came along when I got to long in the tooth to keep up too !

Tar

Old Post 10-23-2019 02:19 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Brinks truck sets up outside..Millionaires are swapping 10-20 thousand dollar dogs like you and would swap a piece of bubble gum..More buyers walking around looking than dogs that fill the bill..The atmosphere is electric..Probably saw 15-20 world champion handlers walking around....If you are serious about competing the coondawg game is serious about having you..Come out brother richard!!

Old Post 10-23-2019 03:49 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have been there a couple of times Mr Dalton, millionaires all wanting to own the next World Champion. All trying to decide which ones have a chance and how much it would take. Lots of talk, " how did old so and so look last night?" Everyone is studying the scorecards and lots of spies asking questions. You are right, it is an electric atmosphere with an awful lot of money being tossed around.
But I am sitting at home. I am not nearly that serious anymore.

Old Post 10-23-2019 04:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
It’s a pride thing from the older generation it was the same being high scoring dog of hunt or showing up at the hide buyers with the back of your pickup full of hides it meant you had a coondawg.

I mean how do you call a dog a coondawg when he won a hunt with one coon in two hours.

Just my take on it.

Tar

Many hide hunters back then showed up with a truck load of hides and had a dog but a much better light. Did that make them a coon hunter with a coondawg?

Old Post 10-23-2019 06:22 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Back in the late 69's and 70's coons were scarce in my part of the country. We would go to Indiania, Ohio and other places to hunt every year. Dogs that we might tree 5 coons a week here would tree 10 to 15 coons a night in Indiania and Ohio. Now these were the same dogs that hunted in all of those places, the only difference was coon population. This same principle holds true in a night hunt, dogs or casts hunt in different places and judging solely by score to determine the best dog don't hold water. Cast A may get put in coons, while cast b and c hunt where coons aren't as plentiful. How is it ever fair to compare different cast winners on score? I have won my share of casts over the years, high scoring dig plenty of times, yet I never thought that my dog was the best dog at the hunt, as I only hunted against the dogs in my cast. Now it might have been the best dog at the hunt, but how could I say so based on score alone when there were 10 to 15 casts if dogs all hunting different ground with different coon populations. Location is one of the most important factors in determing score, you can't tree coons if they aren't there! Dave

Old Post 10-24-2019 12:37 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, 370 dogs hunted tonight. I guess that is why they were a little later with the matchups. 370 + 50 already qualified makes 420 dogs that have hunted so far this week.
And I saw where a big time UKC board regular was hunting in Salem tonight.

Old Post 10-24-2019 01:04 AM
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Oh my goodness, 370 dogs hunted tonight. I guess that is why they were a little later with the matchups. 370 + 50 already qualified makes 420 dogs that have hunted so far this week.
And I saw where a big time UKC board regular was hunting in Salem tonight.

420 dogs so far?? Probably closer to just over 1000 dogs so far.

Old Post 10-24-2019 01:43 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rick St.Clair
420 dogs so far?? Probably closer to just over 1000 dogs so far.

That is like saying that my dog treed 3 coons last night but failing to say that they were all up the same tree. How about 1,000 entries but 420 dogs. 1,000 paid entries is around $200,000, however.

Old Post 10-24-2019 01:53 AM
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Entries/dogs how ever you want too look at it. A lot of cash changing hands. My guess either way you want to figure, but a lot are not hunting the same dog every night.

Old Post 10-24-2019 02:05 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Back in the late 69's and 70's coons were scarce in my part of the country. We would go to Indiania, Ohio and other places to hunt every year. Dogs that we might tree 5 coons a week here would tree 10 to 15 coons a night in Indiania and Ohio. Now these were the same dogs that hunted in all of those places, the only difference was coon population. This same principle holds true in a night hunt, dogs or casts hunt in different places and judging solely by score to determine the best dog don't hold water. Cast A may get put in coons, while cast b and c hunt where coons aren't as plentiful. How is it ever fair to compare different cast winners on score? I have won my share of casts over the years, high scoring dig plenty of times, yet I never thought that my dog was the best dog at the hunt, as I only hunted against the dogs in my cast. Now it might have been the best dog at the hunt, but how could I say so based on score alone when there were 10 to 15 casts if dogs all hunting different ground with different coon populations. Location is one of the most important factors in determing score, you can't tree coons if they aren't there! Dave

Dave I only got those old memories it was a different place in time it was electric !! The new way is good too nothing wrong with it just got to crippled up to participate much let them play the game they want it’s their game now.

Tar

Old Post 10-24-2019 02:08 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I still have many fond memories of the yesteryear hunts, I still favor the 3 hour hunts, but know they are not practical these days. Lots of things have changed, some good and some not so good. I remember the time when treeing a coon was a big deal as we did not have many, but now it does not mean much as there are several coons. You guys that have always had a good population of coons can not relate to low coon population and just how special treeing a coon was in those days. I am glad our younger hunters have a decent amount of coons to tree, we had to hunt in other states to tree a lot of coons. I never considered coon hunting to be anything but a hobby, even when hides were high, it was just fun for me and I usually gave the hides to those that hunted with me. I have found myself hunting less as the years go by, I still enjoy the sport, but these mountains seem to get steeper every year. I can still handle the flat lands pretty good, but dread these mountains, old age I guess. Lol. Dave

Old Post 10-24-2019 04:30 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Pretty good scores even in the late rounds.

Tar

Old Post 10-24-2019 12:32 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
That is like saying that my dog treed 3 coons last night but failing to say that they were all up the same tree. How about 1,000 entries but 420 dogs. 1,000 paid entries is around $200,000, however.

There's quite a few dogs every year that only hunt 1 or 2 nights. And there's usually more entries every night as the week goes on. You have to go off entries not dogs. If you went off of dogs, I'd bet more than 420. And there's a lot of guys that I know that didn't go out there this year, myself included.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-24-2019 12:34 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

How about another number to chew on..One handler wins early and late with three different dogs..Congrats to Shaun Welch..6 cast wins in a row in pretty stiff competition..Hope he gets some rest tonight because which ever one he picks to hunt will be well rested but will he be for semis tomorrow night.

Old Post 10-24-2019 04:33 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Now that is a Professional Handler.

Old Post 10-24-2019 06:48 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, almost 1,300 paid entries for the week. That is about $250,000-$300,000. Now that is a lot of money but just think, UKC is going to have a hunt where just the prize money totals $200,000. What in the world has coon hunting come too? No wonder those millionaires are swapping dogs. I wonder how long it will be before you see guys in suits and ties at the big hunts? It has almost come to that at the big bench shows now.

Old Post 10-25-2019 01:13 AM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Oh my goodness, almost 1,300 paid entries for the week. That is about $250,000-$300,000. Now that is a lot of money but just think, UKC is going to have a hunt where just the prize money totals $200,000. What in the world has coon hunting come too? No wonder those millionaires are swapping dogs. I wonder how long it will be before you see guys in suits and ties at the big hunts? It has almost come to that at the big bench shows now.

Ukc has set the table and this group is coming...Being a vendor i get to listen to alot of stories about hunts and upcoming events..Not sure i ever heard the words UKC at another kennel club event as much as i did the last two weeks out here..They may not show up at many major events but it will be alot and i mean alot of the fellows here that show up enough to get five wins...The tournament of champions may set records unheard of in this business.

Old Post 10-25-2019 09:26 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, they hunted about 600 dogs, took in almost $300,000 in entry fees and paid out $269,000 in prize money. Now how is that for numbers?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-25-2019 at 12:41 PM

Old Post 10-25-2019 12:37 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

1344 entries ..Some dogs got to hunt more than one night but I know of a bunch that were one and done...No matter how you crunch the numbers it was a great week of coonhunting..This is positive as far as im concerned for our sport..Need to remember also..Saw probably 40-60 of these same guys here most all last week helping those 160 plus youth entries to the woods ..Hats off to those fellows.

Old Post 10-25-2019 01:45 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Economic impact to the City Of Salem..Easily several million...Every hotel room here were full,campers on the fairgrounds were many,bunch of guys rented houses and cabins for a week ..Gun and swap shops had many visitors..Mechanics got a little business(including mine )..Every restaurant in town had trucks with dog boxes..Every gas station got frequented regularly And Above All else.
Most every person working at these places were happy to see us!!

Old Post 10-25-2019 01:50 PM