UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dogs With Heart???!!!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TreeSmokin
UKC Forum Member

Dogs With Heart???!!!

Is it just me or do dogs not have any heart now?? I know there's several nice dogs out there but is anyone else seeing a high ratio of dogs that can't handle being corrected or having bad habits broke?? Just no heart.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-31-2014 04:10 PM
TreeSmokin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TreeSmokin Click here to Send TreeSmokin a Private Message Click Here to Email TreeSmokin Visit TreeSmokin's homepage! Find more posts by TreeSmokin Add TreeSmokin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

i cant say for sure but maybe its not the heart,it could be the dogs your hunting now are not as hard headed as the use to be and you have to be more careful how you go bout correcting them.a little bit goes a long ways on some dogs.dont ever break there spirit or they want mount to nothing.

Old Post 08-01-2014 09:39 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Less heart or more brains?

Old Post 08-01-2014 03:12 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TreeSmokin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Less heart or more brains?

Less heart. If they were smart enough they'd know what they were being corrected for and fix it.

Old Post 08-01-2014 03:15 PM
TreeSmokin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TreeSmokin Click here to Send TreeSmokin a Private Message Click Here to Email TreeSmokin Visit TreeSmokin's homepage! Find more posts by TreeSmokin Add TreeSmokin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs With Heart???!!!

quote:
Originally posted by TreeSmokin
Is it just me or do dogs not have any heart now?? I know there's several nice dogs out there but is anyone else seeing a high ratio of dogs that can't handle being corrected or having bad habits broke?? Just no heart.

I think we have a much higher ratio of soft hearted coonhunters today and that contributes to many of these problems. My Dad would shoot a shy dog , a timid dog or any dog that couldn't take physical correction so fast it would make your head swim. Today, many want to know how to fix or deal with those traits when, in fact, they should be serious about culling dogs with those traits.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 08-01-2014 03:32 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs With Heart???!!!

quote:
Originally posted by TreeSmokin

????????? Handling discipline has nothing to do with heart!

Personally, I like a dog that doesn't have to be beat into submission to follow a command. It is a sign of intelligence.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 08-01-2014 03:33 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I'm not talking about beating into submission, I'm talking about the same physical correction my Mom used on me. And my Mom darn sure never beat anyone into submission. But I see pups today that can't even take the same spankings I got as a kid. To each his own but for me, that's a done pup.

Old Post 08-01-2014 03:37 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dogs With Heart???!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
????????? Handling discipline has nothing to do with heart!

Personally, I like a dog that doesn't have to be beat into submission to follow a command. It is a sign of intelligence.

Yep

Old Post 08-01-2014 03:50 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakenda creek b
UKC Forum Member

Ive had dogs that had to be physically disciplined and ive had some that a good scolding would fix the problem. I have one now that if I get on to her either way she will want to climb on my lap and make up with me. Id rather not have to raise a hand to them.

Old Post 08-01-2014 04:20 PM
wakenda creek b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakenda creek b Click here to Send wakenda creek b a Private Message Click Here to Email wakenda creek b Find more posts by wakenda creek b Add wakenda creek b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TreeSmokin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I'm not talking about beating into submission, I'm talking about the same physical correction my Mom used on me. And my Mom darn sure never beat anyone into submission. But I see pups today that can't even take the same spankings I got as a kid. To each his own but for me, that's a done pup.

X2

If they're real smart they'll just need discipline a couple times and they'll correct that behavior. An intelligent dog knows what it got in trouble for to start with.

Old Post 08-01-2014 04:41 PM
Melanie H.
UKC Forum Member

I have one here that I've always considered having a lot of heart. You can correct her and she takes it and keeps going. I've seen her hunt herself until she has absolutely nothing left and still try and go. She has no give up or back down to her and is easier to handle then most house dogs.

I've hunted some really great game catching dogs that were lazy or pout if they are corrected and compared to them I'll say that Jane may not be the best dog out there but she makes it FUN to hunt her..

You've only got 3 choices in life, give in, give up, or give it all you got.

Old Post 08-01-2014 09:10 PM
Melanie H. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melanie H. Click here to Send Melanie H. a Private Message Click Here to Email Melanie H. Visit Melanie H.'s homepage! Find more posts by Melanie H. Add Melanie H. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLAVEYRIVERCURS
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by skeets
i cant say for sure but maybe its not the heart,it could be the dogs your hunting now are not as hard headed as the use to be and you have to be more careful how you go bout correcting them.a little bit goes a long ways on some dogs.dont ever break there spirit or they want mount to nothing.

Well said

Old Post 08-01-2014 09:13 PM
CLAVEYRIVERCURS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLAVEYRIVERCURS Click here to Send CLAVEYRIVERCURS a Private Message Click Here to Email CLAVEYRIVERCURS Find more posts by CLAVEYRIVERCURS Add CLAVEYRIVERCURS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

"dont ever break there spirit or they want mount to nothing."

If "spirit' is running a deer/fox for three days then two things are going to happen...that "spirit" is absolutely getting broke and then maybe as you say they wont "amount to nothing," or they will get over it and go hunt the right game. Either way, if that's what spirit amounts to and I break it, where's the loss??? That dog was no good running deer so he can get just as lost with his "spirit."
All that aside, I quit coon hunting and took a break in 1994. I am recently getting back into it and from what I see, yes there is less heart in some lines of dogs. But I have to say more intelligence. It is always good to have more intelligence in a dog. I believe if handled correctly it makes training a lot easier for the dog as well as the trainer.
Lack of heart causes a few issues. Sometimes they just never recover. A cull is a cull and it is cut in stone that if you don't demand perfection from your dog you will not get it. Lack of heart also causes a trainer to have to wait and see.
Here is a good example of the difference...I have a worthless little house dog Jack Russell that would mark a certain spot in the house. He has tons of heart. He decided he would continue to mark his spot no matter what. I decided he would eventually get tired of being corrected for it, especially if the "corrective action" got more severe each time. I won. It took about three months. It got to the point of cull or cure. He chose cure, lucky for him...but through all this if I said "you wanna go out???" {in Jack Russell language that translates to "lets go kill a woodchuck or other small animal!!"} he was always ready to go and just as excited about it even if I nearly caved his head in a few minutes ago for marking. To me that is heart.
I have a one year old walker pup that is very intelligent but he likes to bump deer. He has never got away with a full blown, all out, run to catch, have all the fun in the world chase. Not ever. I have stopped him every time, probably about 10 times total over several months. I have always seen the deer because I run him during the day. He is just getting to the point that he believes deer are not good. The result is that he now doesn't give it his all on a coon because to him running a track hasn't always worked in his favor. He wants to but he's a little afraid. I now have to wait and give him some time to realize that deer are not for him but coons are O.k. That is long on intelligence but a little short on heart.

Old Post 08-01-2014 10:51 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McGuire81
UKC Forum Member

Im not but 33 years old and dont have the experience and wisdom as some of the old timers to be answering much. But I have a bnt female and a jack Russell female that has taught me more in the last 6 years than I learned in the first 10 years of handling dogs. Now I cant answer the question if dogs now have less heart than dogs use too because I can only compare to dogs in my time I never hunted with the old timers. But from the stories I wander where the gameness and instinct went to? Now what I can comment on is what I have learned in my hunting experience. 1. You can teach and old dog new tricks but you cant teach any dog to hunt. It has to be an instinct. 2. When raising dogs they need to know you are the alpha leader pack leader what ever you call it. If they dont they will not listen to you and they may not realize they are getting corrected for something and not train as easy. 3. Patience and time you have to have them to raise kids and you have to have them to raise dogs. If you dont have them dont get a pup get a broke coondog.

To me the dogs that cant take very much discipline dont have the instincts to hunt they just seem to be playing around having fun and you take thier fun away and they just pout. I dont know where it comes from or if its a alfa leader problem. Hounds should go hunting because its their instinct and they are driven by a passion to hunt and no discipline should stop them.
Now I would love to find a hound with the traits of my hound and Jack Russell all put in one you would have something. But it would take a lot of patience. Ill take a dog like my bnt any day. When she was young if she ran a deer you could wear her out send her back in and she would run another one and this could go on several times a night before we get on a coon she was so concentrated on getting struck and running a track it was anything with a scent but with patience and time its all good.

Last edited by McGuire81 on 08-02-2014 at 02:53 PM

Old Post 08-02-2014 02:47 PM
McGuire81 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McGuire81 Click here to Send McGuire81 a Private Message Click Here to Email McGuire81 Find more posts by McGuire81 Add McGuire81 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TreeSmokin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
"dont ever break there spirit or they want mount to nothing."

If "spirit' is running a deer/fox for three days then two things are going to happen...that "spirit" is absolutely getting broke and then maybe as you say they wont "amount to nothing," or they will get over it and go hunt the right game. Either way, if that's what spirit amounts to and I break it, where's the loss??? That dog was no good running deer so he can get just as lost with his "spirit."
All that aside, I quit coon hunting and took a break in 1994. I am recently getting back into it and from what I see, yes there is less heart in some lines of dogs. But I have to say more intelligence. It is always good to have more intelligence in a dog. I believe if handled correctly it makes training a lot easier for the dog as well as the trainer.
Lack of heart causes a few issues. Sometimes they just never recover. A cull is a cull and it is cut in stone that if you don't demand perfection from your dog you will not get it. Lack of heart also causes a trainer to have to wait and see.
Here is a good example of the difference...I have a worthless little house dog Jack Russell that would mark a certain spot in the house. He has tons of heart. He decided he would continue to mark his spot no matter what. I decided he would eventually get tired of being corrected for it, especially if the "corrective action" got more severe each time. I won. It took about three months. It got to the point of cull or cure. He chose cure, lucky for him...but through all this if I said "you wanna go out???" {in Jack Russell language that translates to "lets go kill a woodchuck or other small animal!!"} he was always ready to go and just as excited about it even if I nearly caved his head in a few minutes ago for marking. To me that is heart.
I have a one year old walker pup that is very intelligent but he likes to bump deer. He has never got away with a full blown, all out, run to catch, have all the fun in the world chase. Not ever. I have stopped him every time, probably about 10 times total over several months. I have always seen the deer because I run him during the day. He is just getting to the point that he believes deer are not good. The result is that he now doesn't give it his all on a coon because to him running a track hasn't always worked in his favor. He wants to but he's a little afraid. I now have to wait and give him some time to realize that deer are not for him but coons are O.k. That is long on intelligence but a little short on heart.

NUFF SAID!!! You're exactly right. Seems like most people forget, we're here to train the dogs, not let the dogs train us.

Old Post 08-02-2014 04:08 PM
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

We often talk about drive or the lack of drive in some of todays dogs, i dont think there is a difference between heart and drive but i do know that without it you dont have much. We also talk alot about brains and many seem to feel that intelligence is the first reguirement they look for but it occured to me thinking back over the last 40 years that the better hounds that i have owned were not the smartest, in fact they probably were the duumbest, they deffinatly were the most hardheaded and single minded, they seemed to live only to tree coon, the kind that can fall over an edge, break a leg and get up and finish the track, not very smart but alot of heart and drive.
Smart dogs are like smart wowen, they can be a real pain to live with. Lol.

Old Post 08-02-2014 05:14 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Intelligence in a dog is a double edge sword...heart or drive is not and that is why we always consider it a good thing. Either they have enough heart or they don't. But smarts can go either way. Here is a good example...one handler has a very smart dog that has figured out if he circles out ahead of a track as fast as he can he will pick it up ahead of the other dogs and eventually get to the tree first. Another dog figures out that if he follows a deer track without opening he can get far enough away so that the box of fire around his neck doesn't hurt him. Both dogs are way smarter than average but one is a big time winner and bred weekly...the other is a cull. Couldn't either dogs pups go either way???

Old Post 08-02-2014 06:34 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roadrunner22
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I think we have a much higher ratio of soft hearted coonhunters today and that contributes to many of these problems. My Dad would shoot a shy dog , a timid dog or any dog that couldn't take physical correction so fast it would make your head swim. Today, many want to know how to fix or deal with those traits when, in fact, they should be serious about culling dogs with those traits.
I may take some heat for this but i think you nailed it. People put up with to much bs from dogs now days. Just look at some of these thread titles on here. "Hunting a 3 legged dog in hunts" LOL (may not need culled but lol all the same), "Dog hides from me when treed", "My dog is a barking idiot". Why not just get a decent dog instead of trying to fix something thats wrong with a dog mentally? At least PLEASE don't breed these types all you are gonna do is make more crazy dogs. Sorry for hi jacking the thread and sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings but I had to say it

Old Post 08-02-2014 11:30 PM
roadrunner22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roadrunner22 Click here to Send roadrunner22 a Private Message Click Here to Email roadrunner22 Find more posts by roadrunner22 Add roadrunner22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

i have one that you can beat on till day light and he will go do the same thing you beat him for!!! it is very nerve racking at times. ecollor doesnt faze him at all either. i had his litter mate here and if you hollored at her she would sull up and quit. i would rather have one that takes that beatin and goes hunting

Old Post 08-03-2014 12:31 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Dogs With Heart???!!!

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner22
I may take some heat for this but i think you nailed it. People put up with to much bs from dogs now days. Just look at some of these thread titles on here. "Hunting a 3 legged dog in hunts" LOL (may not need culled but lol all the same), "Dog hides from me when treed", "My dog is a barking idiot". Why not just get a decent dog instead of trying to fix something thats wrong with a dog mentally? At least PLEASE don't breed these types all you are gonna do is make more crazy dogs. Sorry for hi jacking the thread and sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings but I had to say it

Wow! Not much to ad to that. Good post.

Old Post 08-03-2014 01:47 AM
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

I agree with Jim.
But it's not just coon hunters.
While out fishing this morning , I listened to a guy beg his lab to " get the ball " he had thrown out into the lake.
That dog had no interest in that ball as he was too busy playing in the water.
The guy did NOTHING to correct him. He just kept telling " Lionel " to " get the ball ". Over and over and over. The dog wouldn't even look at him. Just kept on playing.
Didn't take me long to figure out who the boss was ! LOL

I see the same thing out of todays coon hunters.....

" C'mon Rufus , please tree me a coon. " LOL

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 08-03-2014 02:48 AM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Heart and drive, are a completely separate trait then intelligence, and intelligence is a very unique thing in dogs.
Most people look at obedience or working intelligence as a sign of intellect, in dogs. However there are different types of intelligence in dogs. Take for example the bloodhound, as a general rule they respond poorly to verbal commands and are slow to learn. However when it comes to tracking and learning to run tracks they learn very quickly. So... Does that make them dumb that they don't learn to sit very quickly?

Hounds traditionally have been very one dimensional , hence the stigma that they don't make very good pets. I believe though that the walker breed does have a good amount of working intelligence, and most dog trainers prefer a dog with that. As far as a smart dog lacking drive, not sure where someone got that idea. Just look at border colliies, very high drive but also very intelligent. I also think guys get confused between confidence and drive. I have seen dogs that are high drive but may lack the confidence, to hunt very deep. I have found that over time these dogs will learn to range better. I have also had dogs that are low drive and just have been breed too much for other traits like mouth or tree power and have lost the drive that is required in a working dog.

As far as corrections go, every dog has different tolerances of corrections. Using too much correction can always result in unwanted side effects, using not enough will result in the unwanted continued behavior. This is why the best way is to start with a small correction and escalate in severity of the correction, until the desired result is acquired. A lot of dog owners tend to reside on one side of the fence or the other, not enough correction, typically women, or to much typically men. Reading between the lines of the original posters question, I think it would be wise to read up on proper forms of correction techniques, and work on your patience. Dogs learn best from consistency and repetition. I also gather that you prefer the more single minded type hound you may want to switch breeds or try some different lines, this combined with a better knowledge and practicing of proper correction techniques, should lead you to what you are looking for. Myself personally I prefer a dog with a high level of working intelligence, this I feel makes it easier to communicate my wants and desires.

Last edited by Fisher13 on 08-04-2014 at 08:15 PM

Old Post 08-04-2014 04:26 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClaytonDaniels
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
i have one that you can beat on till day light and he will go do the same thing you beat him for!!! it is very nerve racking at times. ecollor doesnt faze him at all either. i had his litter mate here and if you hollored at her she would sull up and quit. i would rather have one that takes that beatin and goes hunting

Don't think I would make this cross again.

601-466-3107

Old Post 08-04-2014 05:51 AM
ClaytonDaniels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ClaytonDaniels Click here to Send ClaytonDaniels a Private Message Click Here to Email ClaytonDaniels Find more posts by ClaytonDaniels Add ClaytonDaniels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke Proulx
UKC Forum Member

"3 legged dog in a,hunt "are saying that is foolish? I'm unsure of the intend of your quote but if you think a 3 legged dog can't compete your terribly mistaken and I can prove it
Pkc gold ch and a ukc grand night ch while 3 legged

Old Post 08-06-2014 02:06 AM
Duke Proulx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Proulx Find more posts by Duke Proulx Add Duke Proulx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dogs With Heart???!!!

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Wow! Not much to ad to that. Good post.
WELL SPOKEN JIM,very well said...

Old Post 08-06-2014 02:38 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote