UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The different reasons? Or are there any? How does one know?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

The different reasons? Or are there any? How does one know?

What do you think are the different reasons some dogs are naturally independent? And how do you determine which reason it is? Or is there only one reason? Does it even matter when breeding for it?

Last edited by sleepy head on 03-21-2021 at 05:31 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-21-2021 04:46 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Considering that some lines tend to be more independent than others we can not really argue the point that some of it is genetic.

That being said, if that independence is not reinforced throughout the career of the dog it can go away.

Old Post 03-21-2021 05:26 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

No argument on it being genetic from me. My thing is, can't there be different genetic happenings that can cause a trait that looks the same from the outside but on the inside the trait is done for a different genetic reason. And wouldn't it be better to breed a pair that the genetic reason for a trait are the same. Probably why line breeding seems to work.

Old Post 03-21-2021 06:35 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

The good ones are born that way NOT made that way

Old Post 03-21-2021 08:41 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I think you bring up a very good point here.
I feel some are independent because there aggressive nature and others are independent because there non aggressive nature and yet others are independent from shyness and yet others are independent from their desire for gamminess. May even be more reasons.

Old Post 03-21-2021 09:57 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I don’t really like an overly independent dog...but I always look for natural ability in a 8 week old pup as I would in a 3 month old pup...

You can turn out a 10 week old litter of pups and there might be a pup you have to go out and find just roaming out because it’s genetic make up is driving...It is natural no encouragement just natural...take the 3 or 4 month old pups to the woods and one pup hits the woods the first time in it and he or she makes a round and the other pups follow...take them again tomorrow and the same pup does it again...that is natural ability...no training, it’s in the pup to do it...those are the pups we should keep...
Breed those types and you will get more each generation...

Feed them lots of tracks over and over and then you make an average dog out of them...and then you breed those and you get more of the same...average

Look for natural and breed for those traits...
For me looking for independence in a pup is a very important trait to have in a young pup...at least we know it will hunt...something in its head is driving him to do so...and probably a lot more desirable genes associated with that trait...

Old Post 03-22-2021 02:06 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I think you bring up a very good point here.
I feel some are independent because there aggressive nature and others are independent because there non aggressive nature and yet others are independent from shyness and yet others are independent from their desire for gamminess. May even be more reasons.

It makes me think the statement like, he or she is independent, is a incomplete statement and asking if a dog is independent is also not complete. And you would think that's not the only trait that may be present in a dog or line of dogs that the reason they have that trait is different than others.

Old Post 03-22-2021 11:59 AM