UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Automatic “Strike” Dogs
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ClayBottom11
UKC Forum Member

Automatic “Strike” Dogs

I’ve been seeing more and more of these “automatic” (babbling) dogs being promoted. When you watch a play by play or live coverage, it’s pretty obvious to most what is taking place there. I haven’t hunted all over the country like some but when the dog is struck off the lead and treed 1.5 miles in there, a spade is a spade and the dog was babbling… granted, some exceptional situations now and then.

To the point, When did this trend go from being corrected to now being encouraged? I fully understand the advantage on the scorecard, and many of these dogs I’m speaking of do a lot of winning. Seems to me like this has gone from being a fault in a dog to now being something to brag about..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2023 04:15 PM
ClayBottom11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ClayBottom11 Click here to Send ClayBottom11 a Private Message Find more posts by ClayBottom11 Add ClayBottom11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Automatic “Strike” Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by ClayBottom11

To the point, When did this trend go from being corrected to now being encouraged?

As soon as the rules allowed them to bark for a minute every time they were released instead of only first three mins of the hunt. Was never a problem before that.

Old Post 01-14-2023 04:29 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Why blame the rules......weak judging is y this xist and tolerated.
The rules r just fine

Old Post 01-14-2023 08:14 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

It’s a fault that provides an advantage within the scoring structure currently in place.

Competition hunts aren’t designed exclusively to reward the dog that trees the most coons in a certain amount of time. The rules are designed to reward dogs that tree coons a certain way (striking quick, treeing quick, staying out and being accurate). And as long as dogs are rewarded for barking instead of striking, there will be folks that breed and promote dogs with that fault.

Old Post 01-14-2023 08:25 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClayBottom11
UKC Forum Member

I agree that weak judging is a big part of the issue. Whether judges don’t want the confrontation of giving a minus, or, if sometimes it’s hard to prove.. I think that’s a big part of it.

Same with the scoring structure.. there’s no doubt that the quicker you get it done, the better off you’re going to be..

Personally, I’d like to see more accountability for a strike on the babble and that starts with the judge. Getting treed when nothing is there has it’s penalty and so does striking when nothing is there.

Old Post 01-14-2023 09:54 PM
ClayBottom11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ClayBottom11 Click here to Send ClayBottom11 a Private Message Find more posts by ClayBottom11 Add ClayBottom11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Hunting a dog that babbles should be against the rules. That is the only way to stop it. Hunting a dog that babbles is "gaining an unfair advantage". Handlers are either taking advantage of the rules or outright cheating depending on how you view it.
If you really want to stop it, scratch a dog for babbling. If they are scratched for babbling 3 times, bar them from entering a hunt for a year.
Or if you are really serious about it bar the handler if he/she enters a babbling dog in a hunt. After all the handler is attempting to cheat.

Now there is the solution. How serious are y'all?

Old Post 01-14-2023 10:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Hunting a dog that babbles should be against the rules. That is the only way to stop it. Hunting a dog that babbles is "gaining an unfair advantage". Handlers are either taking advantage of the rules or outright cheating depending on how you view it.
If you really want to stop it, scratch a dog for babbling. If they are scratched for babbling 3 times, bar them from entering a hunt for a year.
Or if you are really serious about it bar the handler if he/she enters a babbling dog in a hunt. After all the handler is attempting to cheat.

Now there is the solution. How serious are y'all?

I'll go I step further .....bar not only the handlers but the judge that let's these handlers do it..... y are these judges judging.....the rest of the cast/handlers are saying nothing....(their just as much to blame) .......out of fear I suppose ....any call can be ?'ed......say something or u deserve what u get ......

Last edited by Dogwhisper on 01-16-2023 at 08:41 AM

Old Post 01-14-2023 10:31 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClayBottom11
UKC Forum Member

Problem I see here - if it’s too hard to enforce/prove to minus.. I don’t think it’d ever go as far as being a barring infraction.. lol.

Even if judges would start minusing only the most obvious situations, it would be a good start.

On the local level.. when you’re drawing casts and start asking for a judge, half the casts stare at the floor waiting for somebody else to take the card. There’s no abundance of willing, experienced judges from what I’ve seen. That being said, the one who does take the card in that situation certainly isn’t going to ruffle anybody’s feathers with a call like that.

Old Post 01-14-2023 10:42 PM
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

I know what I'm bout to say will get all tore apart but the real problem is money anywhere there is money there is a way to take it from people . Striking a babble mouthed dog is no diffrent than putting weights in fish. Money makes folks do alot of things. People used to take pride in an honest strike dog that knew how to get its mouth open and move a track . The win at all cost hints have made it the way it is . The fact of competing honeslty in a cast of good hounds and Handlers and winning a cast where there were more than 3 casts at the club used to mean something.i have had folks say if trophy were all they gained they would quit all together. I know they are dust collectors but the part of competing and winning and gunting a all around honest dog ,I'll just keep the trophies and wipe the dust . No money is worth cheating a stranger or friend. Of my dog can't honestly beat yours IL shake your hand and try to beat you next time .

Old Post 01-14-2023 11:52 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Change the strike to where it isn’t an advantage which would solve all this immediately…..but it’ll never happen and big money is the reason. Over aggressive judges are just as bad as weak judges too. I’ve encountered judges that are looking for opportunities to minus a dog for this from the beginning to give them or their buddy an advantage. Just take the strike out of it or make it the same.

Make all strike points 25…you must strike before treeing in case a dog quits and comes in.

How many casts have you been on that when you cut, the dogs go different directions and tree separate coons, but one dog gets 100 strike while the other gets less. In my opinion, the dog should move up in strike points too because it is obviously a different track.

Either way, make it 25 across the board and count coons and who trees them the fastest. Then the dogs can bark all they want to, but no denying who finishes the track first.

Just my opinion.

Old Post 01-15-2023 03:53 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClayBottom11
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green

Make all strike points 25…you must strike before treeing in case a dog quits and comes in.

I think this could be one of the easier ways to at least improve this issue.

Last edited by ClayBottom11 on 01-15-2023 at 11:40 AM

Old Post 01-15-2023 04:51 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Why blame the rules......weak judging is y this xist and tolerated.
The rules r just fine

Would you say it's easier to determine if a dog is babbling when it's 400 yards away or when it just left the lead strap and barked three times with four lights on it ?

Old Post 01-15-2023 05:39 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

Automatic strike dogs

I was on a 4 dog cast last month and after we cut them loose, we stood in silence for a few minutes. What a great experience! Those with auto strike dogs know what they have and like it. It is a very easy thing to fix. Some do NOT want to fix it. A good "me too"auto strike dog is a hard thing to beat under the current rules. It is impossible to prove, so just try to beat them fair and square. Nothing beats the handshakes and complements after an honest cast win.

Old Post 01-15-2023 01:54 PM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

U know it is not a dog barking 3 or 4 times they"re talking about

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 01-15-2023 02:58 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

Do what Tim Green said , Also if a dog Comes walking up or Quits a track Minus it for 100.... I been saying for years GIVE THAT SPLIT DOG HIS STRIKE POINTS TOO ... If nothing else is done at the minimum STRIKE THEM ALL THE SAME....EVERYON KNOWS WHAT THEYRE HUNTING These podcast show it too sad thing is some of todays coon hunters dont know the difference in an honest strike dog or babbling dog....No one wants to start controversary But like some said Most Handlers know what they handling striking a babbling dog is nothing less than stealing from your co workers, hunting Buddies or your neighbor If I had anything worth hauling to A big hunt I probably be deemed A TROUBLE MAKER and Barred cause I call you out on em... Every drop, IS WHAT IT IS

Old Post 01-15-2023 07:19 PM
James B Grice is online now Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

If a dog barks the entire time it is loose it is impossible to minus under the current rule set in nearly every organization.

Old Post 01-15-2023 08:23 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Worry about your own dog. If you can't win ask yourself why? Again then Worry about your own dog. Maybe the rules need changed. Until then quit breaking them to babble or better yet teach them to babble either way u guessed it Worry about your own dog.

Old Post 01-15-2023 08:29 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Babbling or Outstanding Trackdog

I hate a babbler and I love an Outstanding Track dog and the majority of the Judges and hunters can't tell the difference. When I was competition hunting Penney I would all most always take second strike when Penney should have had first strike. Especially in the other registry. It is easier to over come loosing 25 points on strike than it is over coming -100 when a hunting judge gives minus points to the best dog in the cast so they can win, because that is the only way that they can win.

Old Post 01-15-2023 10:07 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClayBottom11
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
If a dog barks the entire time it is loose it is impossible to minus under the current rule set in nearly every organization.

If a dog barks the entire time it’s loose, I don’t want it. I guess that’s where the root catalyst for the post lies. I don’t think that is a “better” dog than one that’s honest on its strike. Taking the competition out of it, which dog would you rather hunt? I certainly don’t want the one babbling from chain to tree every drop.

That being said, the hunts are another animal. Is it an advantage? Absolutely. I guess my opinion is that the (just me talking) cheap advantage should be neutralized.

We always ask “are we breeding for better dogs today?”

If you’re breeding/training dogs to babble my answer would be no.

Old Post 01-15-2023 11:31 PM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Babbling

quote:
Problem I see here - if it’s too hard to enforce/prove to minus.. I don’t think it’d ever go as far as being a barring infraction.. lol.

Even if judges would start minusing only the most obvious situations, it would be a good start.

On the local level.. when you’re drawing casts and start asking for a judge, half the casts stare at the floor waiting for somebody else to take the card. There’s no abundance of willing, experienced judges from what I’ve seen. That being said, the one who does take the card in that situation certainly isn’t going to ruffle anybody’s feathers with a call like that.

I remember years ago, the Hammer dogs would babble a lot.
-----This was resolved by jumping 1st tree to 125 points. It worked.
If a dog can get 1st strike and 1st tree, more power to them!!!

Problem = With silent dogs in hunts, a dog that opens on track can be considered a babbler by comparison.

I do understand the issue.

Dog A (Babbler) = First Strike = 100, 4th Tree = 25.
Dogs B, C, and D get struck and treed before Dog A trees. But, Dog A does get treed deep and alone, and when we get there he has a kit coon on a bush. So, we plus his strike, and, we give him an extra 100 tree points (up to 125) for being treed by himself.

So, what is the bigger problem:
(1) The extra 25 strike points he got over the 2nd strike dog, or
(2) The extra 100 tree points he got for being treed alone.

Put another way (as called):
Dog A ---100 Strike ----- 25 Tree (treed 4th) --- Total = 125 (4th)
Dog B --- 75 Strike ----- 50 Tree (treed 3rd) --- Total = 125 (3rd)
Dog C --- 50 Strike ----- 75 Tree (treed 2nd) -- Total = 125 (2nd)

Dog D --- 25 Strike ---- 125 Tree (treed 1st) --- Total = 150 (1st)

So, it's really all of the bonus tree points we give dogs for being treed alone that creates the issue, and penalizes the "real" 1st tree dog!!! Only one dog actually trees 1st.

Shouldn't the first dog to get treed with the meat get more tree points than the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dogs to get treed with the meat???

How many times do you go hunting and your old dog gets treed. On the way in, your pup falls split treed? Does that mean they did an equal job??? Of Course Not!!! WE ALL KNOW BETTER!!! So, why do we have rules that say they did??? We can still be excited about the pup splitting, and hope that someday soon, they can be the dog that trees 1st.

Last edited by honalieh on 01-16-2023 at 02:52 AM

Old Post 01-16-2023 02:49 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Honalieh
Great post. It would sure turn things upside down to quit giving them split but last tree dogs them extra points. It would rub some the wrong way just reading such a thing.
It would bring a little unity back to coon hunting. As it is hunting alone and having a dog that is always alone is important to win.although I don't feel it has done our sport of coon hunting any favors in the growth of the sport.

Old Post 01-17-2023 02:22 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If a dog barks the entire time it’s loose, I don’t want it. .

Nobody is forcing you too. There are a few out there, but all you have to do to beat one like that is tree one more coon than it does.

Old Post 01-17-2023 04:16 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClayBottom11
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Nobody is forcing you too. There are a few out there, but all you have to do to beat one like that is tree one more coon than it does.

That’s true, but the conversation really isn’t about which dog I want to feed. I’m curious where the mindset changed. Is the babbling trait something you think should be bred for? Does that make for a better real life coondog or does it only suit because its “impossible” to minus in a nite hunt?

What I’m getting at here is ; the rules should be formatted to most often reward the best coondog. I know the babbling issue has been discussed over and over but it remains something that I think gets abused. Maybe it’s just a loophole that will always be there.

Last edited by ClayBottom11 on 01-17-2023 at 06:12 PM

Old Post 01-17-2023 05:47 PM
GES
UKC Forum Member

Re: Automatic “Strike” Dogs

"I fully understand the advantage on the scorecard, and many of these dogs I’m speaking of do a lot of winning. "

I think you answered your own question..........winning isn't about who has the best dog, Winning=Money. Winning gets you pup sales and stud fees. Winning gets you on podcast and picture on magazine covers. So,,,,the folks that want to win do whatever is necessary to win. Silent dogs, babbling dogs, mean dogs, junk runners that fall treed, slick treeing, me-to dogs, and straight line hunters are all out there being promoted by somebody that just wants to win.

You'll never put integrity and honor in the hunts by changing how you score a dog.

Old Post 01-17-2023 07:16 PM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion, AKC had the answer to the babbling rules but none of the other kennel companies wanted to copy them.

Old Post 01-17-2023 07:37 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote