UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding questions?
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Lets start with some paint
If i want a certain color(type) of paint they start with a base color then tint a little at a time to get my custom color.

If i just mix paints together, it's still "paint" but i am never really sure what the color will be, it will be "paint" but not always the color(or type?) i want. Sometimes i get lucky and it turns out to be the color i like, if i slowly mix the right paints.

But if i start with that base color and slowly tint i can have the color i enjoy. ... This is all my simple mind can handle ...lol

I believe that it takes at least three generations of good dogs bred in my back yard that come from good dogs before I will consider using one male to be the hub...meaning breeding him to a niece, daughter or granddaughter or even a great granddaughter...I call it purifying the bloodline to my standards...the cream rises to the top...at this point after great granddaughter I do not need to keep breeding new generations just breed the same dogs as I need pups...bust at some point it is time to start shopping...

I believe in hybrid vigor...at some point in time it is time to bring in new blood...find the best candidate and breed to one of the females...if a good percentage of pups are not acceptable get rid of all pups...these pups can be good enough for the average hunter but not for someone trying to breed better dogs...
Find another stud and letís say a good percentage of pups look and act right then we keep as many as feasible...the pup we keep from this cross is very important to the program...this pup is a high quality pup that proves to be a keeper...this pup is the one that brings a small shot of hybrid vigor to the program and it still has 50% of the original bloodline in it so when bred back in to the bloodline the offspring will carry 75 percent of the original bloodline...

This is how I very carefully mixed the paint and it worked for me...maybe I got lucky...but I wasnít trying to breed a world champion...just trying to breed a dog that looks good in any company...

Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-20-2018 12:08 AM
Reuben is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

Planning for the future

I think everyone will agree we all want to have "coondogs". What breed of coondog and what traits you want and the level you want them is up to you. So next time you consider breeding a bitch, take all the things that have been discussed into consideration. But ask you self a few questions and answer them honestly. If you answer no to any, don't breed her ever.

1. Will I be happy having another dog in my kennel just like her? (Is she aggressive, babbles excessively, etc. etc. etc..?)
2. Will I be unhappy having another dog in my kennel just like her any one of her ancesters?
3. Does she or has she had any medical problems that may be passed on?
4. Is she healthy enough to have puppies?

Now ask yourself if the stud dog meets or exceeds these same standards? If no, don't breed to him.

Of course most of us want to breed and our dogs get better and that's why we make the crosses we make.

The breeding plan we use is up to us as individuals. I will not give or sell a puppy from a litter that doesn't meet the standards above, I hope you are the same.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-20-2018 04:52 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote