UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Old Blood or New Blood?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
J.R.__Ratliff
UKC Forum Member

Old Blood or New Blood?

In your opinion what do you think produces better hounds old bloodlines or new bloodlines? Is it better to keep starting with the same stuff or take what is already been produced and proven?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2024 03:24 AM
J.R.__Ratliff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.R.__Ratliff Click here to Send J.R.__Ratliff a Private Message Click Here to Email J.R.__Ratliff Visit J.R.__Ratliff's homepage! Find more posts by J.R.__Ratliff Add J.R.__Ratliff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ridgerunner1
UKC Forum Member

Depends what you looking for .
Not as much nose in the hounds of today but plenty of tree.

Old Post 05-17-2024 01:36 PM
ridgerunner1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ridgerunner1 Click here to Send ridgerunner1 a Private Message Click Here to Email ridgerunner1 Find more posts by ridgerunner1 Add ridgerunner1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Blood

quote:
Originally posted by ridgerunner1
Depends what you looking for .
Not as much nose in the hounds of today but plenty of tree.

Agree 100 percent, you have to look hard to find a dog with cold nosed trailing ability due to the hunts favoring hot nosed dogs. The flavor of the month types are usually hot nosed ambush types. The big game hunters still breed for cold nosed dogs. Dave

Old Post 05-17-2024 01:52 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Old Blood vs New Blood

I agree with the couple of responses given.

I think type and style are what's most important.

If it's not the right type and style, the old or new doesn't really matter.

Remember this. The newer hot-nosed, go yonder, get alone dogs didn't just happen. They were bred up from the old blood dogs that operated in that manner. But now, they are usually heavily bred on the old blood that operated that way.

Old Post 05-21-2024 02:58 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I'm curious- I often hear a grounp on here demonizing these modern go-yonder, hot-nosed dogs that the hunts are producing..... claiming the dogs of ole were so much better....

How much do you travel and check out dogs to get these opinions? When is the last time you went to a hunt. I've hunted coonhounds in one form or another since about 1986. In the past few years I've hunted with hounds and different lines from Georgia, Iowa, Arkansas, and several places in Missouri. Trust me- that's a lot of driving from Wyoming.

My observations are way different. I've hunted with grade dogs- and several lines that are consistent winners in today's hunts. By large and far most of them can take any track that comes to them... and they are by large and far better than the dogs on average I hunted with years ago.

I'm confused as to what you guys think the hunts have done differently- any rules changes have been subtle- it's the same basic format as hunts were in any of your glory years. Plus there are many more dogs out pleasure hunting than hitting the hunts regularly.... and I"d guess most that attend hunts only go to a few local hunts a year. I'm guessing the guys hitting hunts at an elite level make up less than 10% of coon hounds... so to blame the hunts of ruining dogs is odd. Again.... it's just odd to me... I've seen nice dogs and know for sure the odds of getting a good one from a litter is much higher than it used to be.

I guess the absolute statements kinda' get on me- I mean there are probably 100,000- I don't know 200,000 guys with hounds coonhunting across this country... hundreds of hunts in different formats in different types of geography... then to hear someone say "It's had to find a good dog".. Really???? Tell us where you've looked. Maybe I'm wrong... But I've put a few miles on over the past 5 years to see what's out there... I do more than type on the internet. Maybe the constant assumption that your dogs 20 years ago were great, and based on something you read on the internet bashing ALL modern dogs... maybe that's why this board has almost no traffic. Put in some effort- there are nice dogs out there, lots of them. Find something nice to say.

Last edited by houndsound on 05-21-2024 at 03:40 AM

Old Post 05-21-2024 03:25 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

houndsound well said!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-21-2024 11:12 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound

Well said x2

Heck, I’m still trying to figure out how far back before it’s considered Old Blood.

Old Post 05-21-2024 02:39 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
I'm curious- I often hear a grounp on here demonizing these modern go-yonder, hot-nosed dogs that the hunts are producing..... claiming the dogs of ole were so much better....

How much do you travel and check out dogs to get these opinions? When is the last time you went to a hunt. I've hunted coonhounds in one form or another since about 1986. In the past few years I've hunted with hounds and different lines from Georgia, Iowa, Arkansas, and several places in Missouri. Trust me- that's a lot of driving from Wyoming.

My observations are way different. I've hunted with grade dogs- and several lines that are consistent winners in today's hunts. By large and far most of them can take any track that comes to them... and they are by large and far better than the dogs on average I hunted with years ago.

I'm confused as to what you guys think the hunts have done differently- any rules changes have been subtle- it's the same basic format as hunts were in any of your glory years. Plus there are many more dogs out pleasure hunting than hitting the hunts regularly.... and I"d guess most that attend hunts only go to a few local hunts a year. I'm guessing the guys hitting hunts at an elite level make up less than 10% of coon hounds... so to blame the hunts of ruining dogs is odd. Again.... it's just odd to me... I've seen nice dogs and know for sure the odds of getting a good one from a litter is much higher than it used to be.

I guess the absolute statements kinda' get on me- I mean there are probably 100,000- I don't know 200,000 guys with hounds coonhunting across this country... hundreds of hunts in different formats in different types of geography... then to hear someone say "It's had to find a good dog".. Really???? Tell us where you've looked. Maybe I'm wrong... But I've put a few miles on over the past 5 years to see what's out there... I do more than type on the internet. Maybe the constant assumption that your dogs 20 years ago were great, and based on something you read on the internet bashing ALL modern dogs... maybe that's why this board has almost no traffic. Put in some effort- there are nice dogs out there, lots of them. Find something nice to say.

I agree with you to a point . I don't think it is the dogs were need to compare but the owners and handlers. I spent alot of time and money in the past year trying to find the right dog that suited me and believe me I have had and know what a Top level hound is. The problem lies where and when the owner slash handler says I have a Top end hound that will suit you you drive 10 plus hours to hunt and leave within an hour ot turning loose becouse the high high priced hound that you thought you were trying turns out to have more excuses made before you turn loose than anything.. I think it is more the people who don't know what constitutes a Top level hound. Than no Top level hounds left. Sure there are things I can't stand and wil not hunt but there are some good dogs left no matter breed

Old Post 05-21-2024 03:36 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I agree with you to a point . I don't think it is the dogs were need to compare but the owners and handlers. I spent alot of time and money in the past year trying to find the right dog that suited me and believe me I have had and know what a Top level hound is. The problem lies where and when the owner slash handler says I have a Top end hound that will suit you you drive 10 plus hours to hunt and leave within an hour ot turning loose becouse the high high priced hound that you thought you were trying turns out to have more excuses made before you turn loose than anything.. I think it is more the people who don't know what constitutes a Top level hound. Than no Top level hounds left. Sure there are things I can't stand and wil not hunt but there are some good dogs left no matter breed

Old Post 05-21-2024 03:42 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Old vs new blood

Houndsound made some very good points and I have to agree with some of them. I have hunted hard for over 50 years up until the last couple of years due to health issues. I hunted 5/6 nights a week in the fall and winter months. I have owned 3 Top Coon Dogs in that time, 1 in the early seventies, 1 in the late 80's and 1 in the 2000's. I have hunted and tried dogs in many states North and South. My experience in those 50 plus years shows that there are way more good dogs in the past 30 years than all the previous years I have hunted. You definitely have a much better chance of getting a good dog now than ever before. What I seeing now is the dogs are hotter nosed across the board as most competition hunters do not want a dog fooling with a colder track, they want points fast. Many dogs today are the product of a handler and not entirely genetics. I NEVER knock what the other man hunts, if it suits him that's all that matters. I do not long for the old days of coon hunting dogs as modern dogs are way better. It's not uncommon to see pups treeing their own coons at a real young age, something you never seen 60 years ago. Personally I like a cold trailing dog that can run a cold track and have the coon every time it trees. Competition hunts tend to favor hotter nosed dogs that's just how it is. I am grateful to those who breed trying to get better dogs every time they make a cross, it has definitely produced better hounds these days than ever before. Dave

Old Post 05-21-2024 04:20 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Old vs new

Well said Houndsound!

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 05-21-2024 07:25 PM
Boondok Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by treedog2345

I think some of that may be you are travelling to buy something.... people will usually tell you what you want to hear when you are willing to spend money. When I make trips and visit with people... I'm not trying to buy anything. I make it clear I'm just curious about their dogs and would like to tag along. The folks I have visited with for the most part don't have anything for sale... or at least nothing I could afford, lol.

I think what has "hurt" the ability to find a decent dog (or the perception) is that we use the internet for community more than the club-house now. Anyone can say anything- antidote type information is assumed to fact and becomes the basis for opinions... as opposed to actual relationships with people and actually hunting with their dogs for a good number of nights. That has hurt things more than the hunts- my guess.

Last edited by houndsound on 05-21-2024 at 08:06 PM

Old Post 05-21-2024 07:57 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

How are you comparing them today??

I will always remember a comment an old foxhunter told me when we were listening to a race in the 60's when I asked how his old stud hound would have done in the race? He said, "unless they are running the same animal at the same time, you can not compare them because the tracking can be so different." Which brings me to todays " competition hunts". There is really no way to compare because they are not running the same track. At least back in the 3 hour hunts of the "olden days", you had a better idea which was the better of the four because they would be on the same track/tree. I feel the hunts of today have come down to the "luckiest" of the four. And yes Virginia, you can breed for a scorecard or the freezer, because the race isn't always won by the best, luck plays a hand in the win.

Speaking of luck, I must have been really lucky because I seen coon treed on a nighty bases back in the 50's to today? I would take a pup, hunt it and it would run and tree WITH THE COON. We would come home with fur just about every night. Still do. If fact, in the last 5 years I have gotten 3 hounds of which 2 were complete failures and 1 is in the top 5 of all I have fed. #1 was back in the 60's and still is my measuring stick as far as what I expect. The one thing I can remember from the old to the new blood is, dog traders aren't the big deal anymore as is the failed breeders selling pups.

But it really all comes down to "what do you want?" I know if I go hunting with a friend, I sure the heck don't want to walk a mile to his hound treed and then turn around and walk 2 miles to mine.

Old Post 05-21-2024 08:32 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I think some of that may be you are travelling to buy something.... people will usually tell you what you want to hear when you are willing to spend money. When I make trips and visit with people... I'm not trying to buy anything. I make it clear I'm just curious about their dogs and would like to tag along. The folks I have visited with for the most part don't have anything for sale... or at least nothing I could afford, lol.

I think what has "hurt" the ability to find a decent dog (or the perception) is that we use the internet for community more than the club-house now. Anyone can say anything- antidote type information is assumed to fact and becomes the basis for opinions... as opposed to actual relationships with people and actually hunting with their dogs for a good number of nights. That has hurt things more than the hunts- my guess.

amd I do agree the internet has hampers in exactly the way you said. But that being said as for driving to find, word of mouth were a few of those I went to try not internet. I think the real good dogs get bought local verry fast, and like you Said bought by people with bigger pocket books than mine. But as far as the human aspect and selling aspect I have driven on a man's word to try a hound that was nothing near what it was told to be and I am not telling where or who or why . But I cannot for the life of me understand why someone says they have a Top competitor that can win and then change mid stream . I think the only reason they let someone drive like they do is they think that someone will buy it just becouse of distance or they want someone to buy off the chain. I don't believe traveling to buy is a bad thing I traveled to buy my truck and a few other things I have but at the end of day I guess a Top hound is 2 diffrent things to 2 diffrent people . And I would rather eat vac day and hotel and gas bill as buy one that isn't up to what I standardized before hand. That being said if I leave the house I'm on buisness so I don't want to drive 10 plus hours to pleasure hunt unless I have buddies with me . Life to short and to busy if I go that far and believe me I did I am on a mission lol. But again there are Top dogs if you can grab one fast enough

Last edited by treedog2345 on 05-21-2024 at 11:49 PM

Old Post 05-21-2024 11:47 PM
buff1978
UKC Forum Member

Old or new blood

All of today's dogs go back to old blood in one way or another.i believe the biggest difference is there should of been alot more culling.breed the best to the best keep the best and keep moving forward.although there is no guarantees there are some people out there with enough foresight to figure things out.unfortunately there's not enough of it and dogs are like people not everyone likes the same type.is which makes the world go around.

Old Post 05-22-2024 12:09 AM
buff1978 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for buff1978 Click here to Send buff1978 a Private Message Find more posts by buff1978 Add buff1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote