UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pistol
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Pistol

I'd like to keep a 22 pistol for the times when I want to shoot out a coon, among a few other critters. I'm not well educated when it comes to guns I've always kept things simple and cheap. A 12 gauge takes care of most my needs. But right now I want something easy to carry, and quick to access. Any opinions I'd appreciate. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-01-2020 10:45 PM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I bought a heritage 22 pistol ($99 at at Atwoods) had a mount for a laser put on it and it's a really nice pistol for coon hunting. Total cost was less than $200. Now this is a cheap pistol but it's very accurate and don't mind banging it around in the timber. One thing to remember is that it will be loud. I use shorts and go to long rifle if the coon is really high. My dogs don't seem to mind it much.

Old Post 09-01-2020 11:01 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Tom, sounds like something worth looking at.

Old Post 09-01-2020 11:54 PM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

There might be some people in America that can knock a coon out with less than 40 shots with a pistol, I just haven't met them yet. LOL

Last edited by shadinc on 09-02-2020 at 12:44 AM

Old Post 09-02-2020 12:26 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Don

Yeah I kinda wondered that too. Maybe I should just buy a $140 plinkster. A pistol would be easier to conceal on my golf cart. I'd shoot more porcupines than coon also.

Old Post 09-02-2020 01:07 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Shadinc is steering you right here for sure!!

A pistol at ranges of more than 25 feet is an experts game and even more so at night, with a light and an extreme upward trajectory..

Only one I'd consider would be a Buckmark or Ruger semi auto with a long barrel and a scope.. And I believe you would still be cussing it most every time you used it.

Traditions crackshot with a leupold rimfire scope on it.. Small, light, break action and will shoot like a laser beam..

Old Post 09-02-2020 01:20 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well guys I am not an expert pistol shot by any means but when you put that laser dot right on that coon that cheap heritage pistol will hit him. Always used an iron sight rifle and it takes less shots with the pistol. Before you knock it you need to shoot one. You will be surprised.

Last edited by Preacher Tom on 09-02-2020 at 03:02 PM

Old Post 09-02-2020 02:58 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Years ago I had the brilliant idea that I was going to hunt with a pistol. Got a H&R 22 revolver with a 12" barrel and put a 2.5 power scope on it. Just because I'm stubborn I made it one whole season. Try climbing one of these hills and holding steady with a scoped pistol. Move around until you find a rest and you can't see the coon. Where do you carry a scoped pistol? Came to the conclusion it's easier to carry a rifle with a sling and a lot more accurate when you are winded. also quieter when starting young dogs.

Old Post 09-02-2020 03:12 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOUG CHEEK
UKC Forum Member

I used a BUCKMARK with a scope and lazier worked good --BUT like they have said it was LOUD --Here in INDIANA too many homes in the woods --expect to see a lot of flashing red lights --lol lol

ALWAYS GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Old Post 09-02-2020 03:45 PM
DOUG CHEEK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOUG CHEEK Click here to Send DOUG CHEEK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOUG CHEEK Find more posts by DOUG CHEEK Add DOUG CHEEK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Laser

A laser will make everyone a more accurate shot. JesseJ

Old Post 09-02-2020 03:58 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedCreek Hunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Years ago I had the brilliant idea that I was going to hunt with a pistol. Got a H&R 22 revolver with a 12" barrel and put a 2.5 power scope on it. Just because I'm stubborn I made it one whole season. Try climbing one of these hills and holding steady with a scoped pistol. Move around until you find a rest and you can't see the coon. Where do you carry a scoped pistol? Came to the conclusion it's easier to carry a rifle with a sling and a lot more accurate when you are winded. also quieter when starting young dogs.

I have that same pistol, model 676 H&R with 12” barrel. Open sites and carry in a holster. It’s been a good one. Used to carry a hi-standard double 9 with the 9” barrel. Both excellent guns. A pistol is like anything else. Takes lots and lots of practice. A man has to shoot all the time to keep his edge. I tend to get a little rusty when I don’t shoot for awhile.

Old Post 09-02-2020 04:20 PM
RedCreek Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedCreek Hunter Click here to Send RedCreek Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by RedCreek Hunter Add RedCreek Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Ruger mark II with target or bull barrel will make you an expert marksman in no time. Lazer grip sights will earn you sniper status. Lol

Old Post 09-02-2020 05:23 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Baggs
UKC Forum Member

Pistol

Like anything you want to do you need practice, so get practiced up before you go to the woods.... If you are of the elderly persuasion like myself Optics go a long way.

I use a S&W 22-a pistol with a Romeo 5 optics. Works well for me.

Brian

Old Post 09-02-2020 06:23 PM
Baggs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Baggs Click here to Send Baggs a Private Message Click Here to Email Baggs Find more posts by Baggs Add Baggs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pat

IMO, the noise factor from a pistol is the biggest draw back. I own several target 22 pistols, but carry a 22 rifle coon hunting. You lose a lot of velocity from a shorter barrel 22 pistol and you do not have the sighting radius of the longer barrel 22 rifle. I used to carry and use a 22 pistol coon hunting, but could not stand the noise if you had to shoot multiply times, sound like a war zone shooting the pistol. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 09-02-2020 at 07:46 PM

Old Post 09-02-2020 07:43 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Highbawl10
UKC Forum Member

22 Heritage pistol. Old knock off of the ruger single 6. Best value hands down. Takes a bit to get used to it but I hide hunt and that’s the only thing I carry. I’ve killed everything but COVID with that pistol. From coon to fisher, trapped coyotes to bear, Think it was under 200 and the thing takes a beating.

Old Post 09-02-2020 08:04 PM
Highbawl10 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Highbawl10 Click here to Send Highbawl10 a Private Message Click Here to Email Highbawl10 Find more posts by Highbawl10 Add Highbawl10 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Stewart
UKC Forum Member

Try a Henry mini-bolt. It is light, small and accurate.

Old Post 09-02-2020 08:27 PM
Mike Stewart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Stewart Click here to Send Mike Stewart a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Stewart Find more posts by Mike Stewart Add Mike Stewart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronman
UKC Forum Member

I’ve used both a cheap revolver and a Browning Buckmark ll. It’s handy having a sidearm. These days I use a rifle when hunting alone. If I’m with my young hunting partner I gladly let them tote the gun.

With the new optics these days I think you’ll have lots of fun knocking them out with a handgun.

Old Post 09-02-2020 08:28 PM
Ronman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronman Click here to Send Ronman a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronman Find more posts by Ronman Add Ronman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Got one with a red dot scope 10 in barrel. Normally out with first or second shot. Friend uses a 3 inch s.w revolver with lazer grip . He will pow,pow,pow but he gets them what youwant to spend makes adifference. Saw these at Rural king . don't know if they still sell them

https://www.impactguns.com/bolt-act...21400019-40001/

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 09-02-2020 08:52 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

Pistol

When I was a kid, all the old time coonhunters in my area carried a Stevens single shot pistol. They sold back then for under $5. Wish I had one now!

Old Post 09-02-2020 10:31 PM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

As far as pistols for coonhunting it’s hard to beat a ruger. They make the mk IV in several configurations. The mkIV light is nice too it with a laser not a red dot and you have a nice small lightweight package. I k ow people who put scopes on them but my opinion the laser is 10x better. No real aiming involved especially when foliage is thick ams you only have an eye you don’t have to take yore eyes off the coon.. Just put the dot where you want to hit. As mentioned earlier another downside to pistols is the noise they are louder. You can always put a can on one and the noise is dramatically reduced. If you go with a can on one I would just carry a rifle like the cricket, papoose , wildcat or the like. They are not any heavier than a pistol with a can and not much longer.

Old Post 09-03-2020 02:31 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Pistol??

Through the years I've used everything from rock to a 12 gauge shotgun to get a coon out of a tree. A few years back me and a few hunting buddies had the idea we were all gonna get pistols to coon hunt with. Most got the Ruger auto's and I went with the Browning Silhouette simi auto with the longer barrel and a red dot scope. That thing shot extremely well, (when you could hold it steady). But be advised, if you don't have some sort of rest to lean on to steady your shot, then I recommend taking a lot of ammo with you, lol. That fad only lasted about one year and we all went back to our rifles. I have a Rossi RS22 simi auto, with a 10 shot clip and a 4 power scope on it now. It's short, light weight and extremely accurate. It's just a whole lot easier to deal with and you don't spend near as much on ammo. There's many small rifles on the market but I settled on this one because of price and durability. It's a little over $100 and well worth it. You don't have to worry about banging it around at that price. Pistols are fun but I like to get in there, dispatch the coon and get out and with a pistol, it's not likely that will happen, JMO.

Old Post 09-03-2020 01:26 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Make sure you have lots of shells!

Old Post 09-03-2020 02:22 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Don't shoot many coon but decided I would shoot one last night. One shot, one coon. Now it's not always that good but been a long time since it took more than 3.

Old Post 09-03-2020 03:08 PM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion, pistols are great until you actually start shooting coons out. I had the same idea once, that I would buy a nice pistol to start toting around with me in the woods. I could never find one that was accurate enough at long ranges or wasn't totally cumbersome to lug around.

About the best one I found was the Keystone Sporting Arms Chipmunk .22LR Pistol. These are the same fellas that make the famous "Cricket" .22 Rifles for kids.

The Chipmunk pistol was a tack driver but had its down falls. The pistol is larger then what you would expect, so no holster would fit it. Too big for a holster and too small for a sling.

Also, it's a bolt action single shot, so make sure you've got an extra shell in your teeth, ready to chamber at short notice.

I'm still lugging around my old Marlin .22LR I've had since 13. Tride and true, even if it is heavy.

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 09-03-2020 at 03:50 PM

Old Post 09-03-2020 03:47 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Baggs
UKC Forum Member

Pistol

Another offering is a Tradition's Crackshot or a Chippa Little Badger, they are not pistols, but very light weight rifles, great triggers and have picatanny rails for whatever you wish to strap on top of them..

brian

Old Post 09-03-2020 04:04 PM
Baggs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Baggs Click here to Send Baggs a Private Message Click Here to Email Baggs Find more posts by Baggs Add Baggs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote