UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog food question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Dog food question

I know the dog food deal has been discussed to death but I would appreciate your experience on these issues. My dogs seem to do well on several that I have tried but I would like to find one that I fed less of and they had less stool and less stink. Feeding K9 Rage right now and the smell is awful. Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-30-2020 01:09 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Dog food question

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I know the dog food deal has been discussed to death but I would appreciate your experience on these issues. My dogs seem to do well on several that I have tried but I would like to find one that I fed less of and they had less stool and less stink. Feeding K9 Rage right now and the smell is awful. Thanks.

Purina now has high pro it’s in between dog chow and pro plan if your hunting hard it’s good if not use the chicken dog chow.

Tar

Old Post 08-30-2020 01:18 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Sport mix 24/20 works great for me, no smell, hard black turds, haven’t seen any heat issues but my wife had an accident so sticking close to home and not hunting as hard either.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 08-30-2020 01:20 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JHayes
UKC Forum Member

I have the best luck with PURINA pro plan for less smell and less waste.
Although I do not think it’s as good as it used to be, I have to feed more now than I did in the past.
I tried the PURINA dog chow high protein mixed with pro plan 50/50 over the summer
Big mistake even at 50/50 mixture the smell is way worse with the dog chow mixed in

Old Post 08-30-2020 02:04 AM
JHayes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JHayes Click here to Send JHayes a Private Message Click Here to Email JHayes Find more posts by JHayes Add JHayes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Tom

Check out a post made 7/4 by Reuben. I watched the video. Kinda long. I started using the Pre/Probiotics. Odorless hard stools. I feed dog chow. And they are eating less. Vet was impress last week with my 8 yr old male. 78 pounds and shinny coat.

Hope this will help

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 08-30-2020 02:28 AM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog food question

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom

I use Victor Professional and Diamond Extreme Athlete.

Both do very well for my dogs, plenty of energy with less stool, less smell and better performance in the late rounds. Also I feed MUCH less of those than other brands while getting better results.

Old Post 08-30-2020 02:47 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It’s 110 degree heat index hear any poop is going to stink.

Tar

Old Post 08-30-2020 01:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I feed Sportmix 26/18, coon and coyote hounds. Works great for me and a working man can afford it.

Old Post 08-30-2020 02:36 PM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

True.....

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
It’s 110 degree heat index hear any poop is going to stink.

Tar

Kinda what I was thinking Tar....
.😁😁

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 08-30-2020 02:45 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Sportmix....

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Pratt
I feed Sportmix 26/18, coon and coyote hounds. Works great for me and a working man can afford it.

This is what I switch to from October until about May.....then its back to Purina Dog Chow.
Sportmix is a Good Feed.......at least I think so.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 08-30-2020 02:49 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I feed regular ole Purina Dog Chow and really like it- especially for the price.

I am thinking about trying the High Protein Dog Chow this Fall when I hunt a lot heavier. It is 27/12, whereas the regular Dog Chow is 21/10. Anybody using the High Protein version of Dog Chow ?

Old Post 08-30-2020 03:44 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
I feed regular ole Purina Dog Chow and really like it- especially for the price.

I am thinking about trying the High Protein Dog Chow this Fall when I hunt a lot heavier. It is 27/12, whereas the regular Dog Chow is 21/10. Anybody using the High Protein version of Dog Chow ?

I think the extra fat is more important than protein in the winter

Old Post 08-30-2020 06:53 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

eukanuba

I have been feeding eukanuba for years. Mostly the large breed , winter time I mix in some of the eukanuba performance 30/20. I feed them 1 1/4 cups in the morning , then 1 1/4 cups at night. If hunted alot I add a little more , like an extra 1/2 cup. Very little other treats or food. My hounds are about the 60 pound range . Very rarely have problems with them , just to the vets for a rabies , I give them a 9 way vaccine. Hounds look great and eukanuba is now starting to support hunters.

Old Post 08-31-2020 04:33 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

eukanuba

should add. I buy it at fleet farm when they have it on sale. I pay 1.15 cents per pound on average. They usually only **** one time a day and then empty out just before I hunt them.

Old Post 08-31-2020 04:36 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by houndsound

[/QUOTE

I tried it on some dogs and didn’t see any difference between it and the regular dog chow. I felt for the difference in the price I could just feed more regular dog chow if need be. My go to for feeding less feed to a pregnant, nursing, harder hunted, or hard keeper is The Pride 31 22. I tried Sportmix on some of my dogs while feeding the other ones Dog Chow and ended up feeding them all Dog Chow. The ones I had on Sportsmix didn’t poop any more but it was nastier clean up. I have up to 11 dogs in an indoor kennel with a garage door opening and have to stay up on the poop scooping so their poop is something I have to deal with daily.

Old Post 08-31-2020 07:10 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
[QUOTE]Originally posted by houndsound

[/QUOTE

I tried it on some dogs and didn’t see any difference between it and the regular dog chow. I felt for the difference in the price I could just feed more regular dog chow if need be. My go to for feeding less feed to a pregnant, nursing, harder hunted, or hard keeper is The Pride 31 22. I tried Sportmix on some of my dogs while feeding the other ones Dog Chow and ended up feeding them all Dog Chow. The ones I had on Sportsmix didn’t poop any more but it was nastier clean up. I have up to 11 dogs in an indoor kennel with a garage door opening and have to stay up on the poop scooping so their poop is something I have to deal with daily.

Good feedback and information, thanks.

Old Post 08-31-2020 11:29 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Re: eukanuba

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
I have been feeding eukanuba for years. Mostly the large breed , winter time I mix in some of the eukanuba performance 30/20. I feed them 1 1/4 cups in the morning , then 1 1/4 cups at night. If hunted alot I add a little more , like an extra 1/2 cup. Very little other treats or food. My hounds are about the 60 pound range . Very rarely have problems with them , just to the vets for a rabies , I give them a 9 way vaccine. Hounds look great and eukanuba is now starting to support hunters.

Eukanuba has a new formula coming out as we speak. The performance line will be discontinued and replaced with the new line. They did 3 1/2 years of research on the formula and I’ve been feeding it on a factory trial for a few months, it’s the best feed I’ve used and will likely stay with it for a good while. The overall dog looks and acts better on less feed! They claim it “finishes” 8% better then the current 30/20 and it’s a 26/16. From my use I believe it to be just as good as the 30/20 , if not better.

Old Post 09-02-2020 01:19 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote