UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > I would like to ?
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
Now Tar are you getting old and blind or what??? There are 2 kinds of dogs one that might have a coon and a dog that is gonna have a coon. Those ones that might have a coon are probably struggling the ones that are gonna have a coon May not get treed or may be 2 miles but that average isn’t going to go down any. All dogs will have a bad night but I’m not gonna pack one that has less than 70% of its coons any night. I’ll just keep driving to the next county over and picking them up if they aren’t moving.

A lot of statements hold true and I believe some. Buuuuuuuut terrain ,wheather conditions and coon density play a big part. Aaaaaaaaaaaand when you got a scorecard and stop watch your writing down your dogs mistakes lol.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Trueblood85
I understand what he's saying but if your dog just treed slick seems like he missed that one too. Personally I'd rather leave a few than hike to a dog treeing air.

There is a difference between a dog that slick trees and a dog that will gamble.. If you're not able to tree coon other dogs don't know are in the country you're just treeing the easy ones.

Old Post 01-17-2020 04:11 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I understand what he's saying but if your dog just treed slick seems like he missed that one too. Personally I'd rather leave a few than hike to a dog treeing air.

There is a difference between a dog that slick trees and a dog that will gamble.. If you're not able to tree coon other dogs don't know are in the country you're just treeing the easy ones.

Old Post 01-17-2020 04:11 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I don't think in terms of accuracy the way some people do. We have leaves on about 1/3 of our trees all year. And that's where most of the coons go. I decide if he could be there. In the three years I've been hunting the female I have now, she's treed on three trees you could minus, they were all persimmon trees. When she tree on a leafless tree, I've always found the coon. She's got about one million faults but accuracy isn't one of them.

Old Post 01-17-2020 04:12 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Mr Edinger

No disrespect sir but I just can't buy that we now have gambling dogs. Some only tree when they know others tree when they think they know or just giving up. Which makes it unreliable after a point.

Old Post 01-17-2020 04:38 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr Edinger

quote:
No disrespect sir but I just can't buy that we now have gambling dogs. Some only tree when they know others tree when they think they know or just giving up. Which makes it unreliable after a point.

You ever see a dog sniff all over a tree with a coon setting up then move on, that is a miss. A gambler is going to take his chance and get treed.

Old Post 01-17-2020 04:54 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Mr Edinger

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Edinger
You ever see a dog sniff all over a tree with a coon setting up then move on, that is a miss. A gambler is going to take his chance and get treed.
Did you ever see a dog sniff all over a tree with no coon and move on, then another trees there? That's your gambler. Not a good trait when he's 1/2 mile away through swamps, briars and thickets.

Old Post 01-17-2020 05:05 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Slick Trees

Hunt what you want to hunt, think what you want to think, tell yourself that ALL dogs mess up this time of year and just maybe you will convince yourself that no ACCURATE dogs exist. I fully expect my dogs to strike and finish every track with a coon looking down, I will NOT make any excuses if they don't. I WILL NOT hunt any dog that trees 2 to 3 slick trees a night regardless of the conditions. While I have NOT hunted as hard this year as I usually do, my hunting partner has and together we have treed and shot out over a hundred coons. You could count the number of slick trees on one hand and have fingers left over. If anyone doubts the accuracy if these dogs, put your boots on and come go hunting with us, bring your measuring stick if you want. All of this is hunting steep mountains in thin coon with plenty of dens and ever green trees like pine, hemlock and cedar. Slick treeing is a DOG problem, has nothing to do with hunting conditions and accepting this is a OWNERS problem. A bad night is when you have trouble striking a coon track, treeing slick trees is a DOG PROBLEM. Dave

Old Post 01-17-2020 05:40 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Last nights hunt. This is an example that may or may not apply to what is being said here. Turned my 4 year old and a pup loose. They get struck and work a track 3/4 mile. Seemed like tracking was hard but maybe my dogs are not very good. They get treed and have a big coon. Move to another place and they get struck and again work a track that is not very good for about 3/4 mile and come out on a dirt/gravel road. They cross the road and get treed. Big tree that "might" be a den. Big broke off limb up high but I can't see enough to see if it's hollow. So they were 50%. Was I unhappy with them? no. Did the 4 year old gamble on the last tree? Maybe. I personally never saw a dog that could finish 85% of his strikes with a coon on the outside. My 4 year old did have a streak of 26 strikes, 26 coon no dens. But I'm gonna tell you he got lucky to go that long.

Old Post 01-17-2020 05:52 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

This thread like most threads on this forum has gotten several responses, some responses better than others. I can only say that unless you have seen a TOP COON DOG go night in night out, you may not understand or believe how accurate a dog can be and should be. I consider myself to be fortunate enough to have owned and hunted with dogs that showed me what a COON DOG really was. The common theme among the hunters that have owned Top Coon Dogs is "They spoil you". I am not satisfied with a average dog that just trees coon but makes a lot of mistakes. I know there are better dogs available and will not hunt those types of dogs. I would rather be home in a warm bed that following a slick treeing hound. My measuring stick is how accurate a dog is in Jan and Feb, when the average dog looks like crap, mine better produce coons not trees. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-17-2020 at 06:15 PM

Old Post 01-17-2020 06:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
This thread like most threads on this forum has gotten several responses, some responses better than others. I can only say that unless you have seen a TOP COON DOG go night in night out, you may not understand or believe how accurate a dog can be and should be. I consider myself to be fortunate enough to have owned and hunted with dogs that showed me what a COON DOG really was. The common theme among the hunters that have owned Top Coon Dogs is "They spoil you". I am not satisfied with a average dog that just trees coon but makes a lot of mistakes. I know there are better dogs available and will not hunt those types of dogs. I would rather be home in a warm bed that following a slick treeing hound. My measuring stick is how accurate a dog is in Jan and Feb, when the average dog looks like crap, mine better produce coons not trees. Dave

Only owned two in my lifetime that I knew I was going to see a coon or a den. Have hunted with some pretty famous dogs that people were lined up to breed to that had bad nights and slick trees. You see all their big wins but you don’t see their big losses. They are just like people there’s only been one of them that was perfect.

Tar

Old Post 01-17-2020 06:21 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Dave I appreciate what you said and I know there are better dogs out there than I have but I have been looking since last summer and hunted with several dogs that were supposed to be TOP dogs and they weren't as good as mine, so they are hard to find. The other question that comes to my mind is if a dog can tree 90+% of his strikes with a coon on the outside, shouldn't that dog dominate in competition hunting? If he does not then the question is why not?

Old Post 01-17-2020 06:27 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Mr Edinger

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Did you ever see a dog sniff all over a tree with no coon and move on, then another trees there? That's your gambler. Not a good trait when he's 1/2 mile away through swamps, briars and thickets.

Your scenario has a track going away from the tree mine did not.

Old Post 01-17-2020 06:30 PM
Midnightghost
UKC Forum Member

I live in Ohio sense Dec 1 my Dr law female is 41 coons 7dens and3 slicks and a lot of walking. December usually is a tuff month to coon hunt.

Old Post 01-17-2020 06:44 PM
Midnightghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Midnightghost Click here to Send Midnightghost a Private Message Click Here to Email Midnightghost Find more posts by Midnightghost Add Midnightghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Dave hit the nail on the head far as I'm concerned with how to measure a dog, that's the way it will be done around here anyway.

Edinger, if a dog leaves a tree and a track didn't he doesn't sound like a tree dog. But yes a coon may get left up a tree when the tree is checked and anther coon track is still going. But a dog that smells a track that went up a tree but doesn't know to check for the track leaving is far from finished in my opinion and if that's the kind of gambling dog wants to do, the stakes are high⚰

Old Post 01-17-2020 06:52 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Dave I appreciate what you said and I know there are better dogs out there than I have but I have been looking since last summer and hunted with several dogs that were supposed to be TOP dogs and they weren't as good as mine, so they are hard to find. The other question that comes to my mind is if a dog can tree 90+% of his strikes with a coon on the outside, shouldn't that dog dominate in competition hunting? If he does not then the question is why not?

There could be several reasons why IMHO. Slow track dog, slow hunting dog, and weak mouth are big factors why 1 wouldn't be a good competition dog. But if the dog hunts decently, and is a fair track dog and has at least a semi decent mouth, you'll win say more casts than loose.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-17-2020 06:52 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I don't think in terms of accuracy the way some people do. We have leaves on about 1/3 of our trees all year. And that's where most of the coons go. I decide if he could be there. In the three years I've been hunting the female I have now, she's treed on three trees you could minus, they were all persimmon trees. When she tree on a leafless tree, I've always found the coon. She's got about one million faults but accuracy isn't one of them.

Out of how many trees she's made? Are they true dens or just leafy trees?

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 01-17-2020 06:54 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar/Tom

Tar, you had 2 that showed you a coon or den every time, so you know they exist. I know they exist, I buried 1 in December at age 14 that was deadly accurate up until he died on hot tracks, cold tracks and layups. Hunting one now that was trained with him that's deadly accurate. Tom, nothing has changed in all these years, a man hears about a Top Dog for sale only to hunt with the dog and realize it's average at best. TOP COON DOGS are rarely ever for sale, if sold they usually are sold to a close hunting buddy. Like you, I have tried many dogs that were supposed to be special, but we're only average or worse. TOP dogs are rare, but exist, my wish is that everyone gets to hunt with someone who owns a Top Dog just to see them operate. Beware of the risk you take when you do, you may never be satisfied with anything less. I was fortunate to hunt with my first real coon dog in my twenties, which I was able to buy. He was my measuring stuck there after and taught me what a COON DOG WAS. I have only owned 3 in his league, but several that were close, not settling for average dogs allowed me to hunt with some really good dogs over the past 50 years. Dave

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:00 PM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
You boys are going to think I’m lying and that’s ok. A boy that lives south of us about 30 minutes had a dog he called Jerry. The dog is dead and gone now but he was a big hard hunting steal mouth dog. The last kill season he hunted him the dog made 187 trees and he knocked out 153 single coon to him. Ty is as honest as they come. The type that if he said a rooster dips snuff if you pick up his wings your gonna find his can. I watched the dog make 35 trees in 6 nights of hunting in December and had 35 coon on the outside. He was hands down the best I’ve ever seen at having a coon.

10 years ago, I woulda said you’re full of BS. I would have said it because I had never witnessed that kinda dog and it’s hard to believe in what you haven’t seen. I have seen very similar things in dogs in the last 8 years and know that you are being honest. The advantage for you Dalton is that you have the vision to see this at such a young age. I spent many years believing something less was pretty dang good.

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:14 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Yup Dave and neither were trained to be that way they were born that way. This female is accurate under pressure but with some of the linage she has you lay her up for three weeks or a month your going to have to give her some spankings to get her head back on straight. You could lay those other two up a month and they were the same dog.

Tar

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:14 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar/Tom

quote:
Tar, you had 2 that showed you a coon or den every time, so you know they exist. I know they exist, I buried 1 in December at age 14 that was deadly accurate up until he died on hot tracks, cold tracks and layups. Hunting one now that was trained with him that's deadly accurate. Tom, nothing has changed in all these years, a man hears about a Top Dog for sale only to hunt with the dog and realize it's average at best. TOP COON DOGS are rarely ever for sale, if sold they usually are sold to a close hunting buddy. Like you, I have tried many dogs that were supposed to be special, but we're only average or worse. TOP dogs are rare, but exist, my wish is that everyone gets to hunt with someone who owns a Top Dog just to see them operate. Beware of the risk you take when you do, you may never be satisfied with anything less. I was fortunate to hunt with my first real coon dog in my twenties, which I was able to buy. He was my measuring stuck there after and taught me what a COON DOG WAS. I have only owned 3 in his league, but several that were close, not settling for average dogs allowed me to hunt with some really good dogs over the past 50 years. Dave

Dave, have you ever seen more than 1 unsnapped at the same time? I've only seen 2 dogs that is bet the farm on having a coon when they treed. And I know exactly what you're saying about settling for less. I'm at that point now. I have came to the realization the only way ill get a repeat is to be lucky enough to hunt with 1 and be able to buy it.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:17 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

OK if they are that rare don't most of us have to settle for something less? I would love to have one but as Dave says they are not for sale. So if even one out of 500 is that dog I would have to start a lot of pups to ever get one. I will be happy with a dog that drops in, finds a track, can move that track and tree that coon 80% of the time. To me just too many variables for me to expect any better. You guys that have the other kind are truly blessed.

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:35 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

No, I have never seen more than 1 turned loose at the same time, lucky enough to see 1. They are far and few between, but they exist as both you and I know. I have only owned 3 and hunted with 2 to 3 others in 50 years of hunting. While I have hunted with a lot of dogs, there are thousands of dogs that I have never hunted with and I am sure some of those dogs were Top COON DOGS. Hope you find one you like, I know you won't settle for less, the quest is what keeps us hoping for just 1 more Top COON DOG. Dave

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:43 PM
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar/Tom

quote:

Dave, what is an acceptable percentage of den trees?

Around these woodlots, from mid December until the rut kicks in, the percentage of den trees will increase a good bit compared to the rest of the year.

I have come to learn the definition of accuracy varies drastically.

My definition would be coon seen vs. trees made. Dens & slicks count as a coon not seen.

Years ago I kept track for an entire year. To say I was shocked at the end of that year would be an understatement

If you use the coon seen/coon not seen method, & you've got one that's over 66% (2 out of 3) over the course of 1 year, you've got one that is WELL ABOVE AVERAGE

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:57 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Den vs slick

Personally I think a den and slick are 2 completely different issues. Slick means absolutely no coon which should be counted against accuracy but a den means the dog could be right so I wouldn't agree with counting all dens against accuracy. ??

Old Post 01-17-2020 08:15 PM