UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Slick treeing
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Slick treeing

Got a dog that will be 3 in March before he was a year old amd last season he treed a lot of coons and earlier this year the last 2 months he couldn't buy a coon to tree acts like he has lost his ability to smell not just treeing to hear his head rattle he will actually work a track and has always been a good track dog but he just acts like he can't smell any suggestions

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-21-2020 01:27 AM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

What’s he out of that’s about the age of one bloodline I know starts it.

Tar

Old Post 01-21-2020 01:53 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UKC Forum Member

My dog, got to where he didn't seem like he could smell, he ended up being a thyroid dog.

Old Post 01-21-2020 01:54 AM
150 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 150 Click here to Send 150 a Private Message Click Here to Email 150 Find more posts by 150 Add 150 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

Better get him checked for tick disease.

Old Post 01-21-2020 02:49 AM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

lpw your mailbox is full.

Tar

Old Post 01-21-2020 03:03 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Pm

Should be empty now tar

Old Post 01-21-2020 07:20 AM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

One thing I've seen happen multiple times is that dogs can get sinus infections just like people. Allergies and or colds can play a part in them. Good thing is they are easy to treat.
What kind of bedding are you using this winter?

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-21-2020 11:06 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Bedding

Straw

Old Post 01-21-2020 11:46 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Just from my experience I used a line of dogs several years ago and at about 2 1/2 years old they became wood monsters. And my dogs are running dogs that tree. The more research I did I found out a lot of people were having the same problem. They even had special hunts for that line where no coons were treed. And you could not break them. Any dog sometimes bites off more than they can chew and misses but when every tree you go to is empty it ain’t the straw and it don’t need a pill it was breed to start early , tree early , and get the breeder a pup sale or stud fee.

Simple as that.

Tar

Old Post 01-21-2020 12:11 PM
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Guys might sound crazy but... couple squirts of cod liver oil on your dogs food will surprise you. I bear hunt and seen it more time than not good dogs couldn't smell what other dogs smell and had a guy that his dog seemed like it could smell everything. I asked him about that and he said he put cod liver oil on his food every day so I tried it and uh well I'm a believer of it. For what its worth

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 01-21-2020 12:49 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

May sound bad but what are ya hunting this dog with? Do you blow a sqauller when ya shouldn't be ? Maybe not enough alone time or to many competition hunts? Just a few thoughts.

Old Post 01-21-2020 02:16 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Most dogs I've been around just need a break when they go through a bad stretch. Put it up for a bit.

Old Post 01-21-2020 02:25 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

What kind of bedding should you use?

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
One thing I've seen happen multiple times is that dogs can get sinus infections just like people. Allergies and or colds can play a part in them. Good thing is they are easy to treat.
What kind of bedding are you using this winter?

I’m using cedar chips. Is that OK?

Old Post 01-21-2020 02:37 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 150
My dog, got to where he didn't seem like he could smell, he ended up being a thyroid dog.

Mine too! Went from a big hunting dog, to a hundred yard opossum treer. Had his thyroid checked and it was .2! Got that squared away, and he was back to normal.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 01-21-2020 04:49 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Bedding

quote:
Originally posted by l p w
Straw

Dogs can develop allergies to anything at anytime. Does he have goop in his eyes or sneeze?
If so and he were mine I would put him on an antibiotic and a zyrtec for about a week. Clean out all the old bedding and put in new maybe try hay. And this may sound crazy but worm him too. Leave him up for the week.
It could be thyriod or breed or even just conditions but start with the simple solutions first.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-21-2020 05:24 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Dog

I am taking him to the vet Friday to see what they say I will give an update then thanks for the input

Old Post 01-21-2020 09:55 PM
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

I had a dog that seemed to start slick treeing more after using cedar chips. May have had nothing to do with it, ?? Any thoughts on cedar bedding?

Old Post 01-21-2020 11:40 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Trueblood85
I had a dog that seemed to start slick treeing more after using cedar chips. May have had nothing to do with it, ?? Any thoughts on cedar bedding?

Cheyenne will not allow cedar bedding near his dogs. Many use it with no problem but if it seems to be affecting yours switch to something else straw or hay. We keep dog box pads in all our dog houses year around (much easier on the joints) and only have additional bedding for warmth in the winter. Dogs on flea/tick preventative there is no need for cedar for pest control.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 01-22-2020 06:34 AM
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Cheyenne will not allow cedar bedding near his dogs. Many use it with no problem but if it seems to be affecting yours switch to something else straw or hay. We keep dog box pads in all our dog houses year around (much easier on the joints) and only have additional bedding for warmth in the winter. Dogs on flea/tick preventative there is no need for cedar for pest control.

He seems to have this coon hunting thing figured out, so I’ll copy him.

Old Post 01-22-2020 03:13 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

X2

Old Post 01-23-2020 09:18 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Results

The results are in my dog tested negative on the tick test the heartworm test and his thyroid level was 1.1 the vet said he didn't need pills said everything looked good so I guess he is just a full dog lol he sure treed a lot of coons the last two years to forget how to tree one

Old Post 01-31-2020 11:09 PM