UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > mixed up junk
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
In my limited experience I will say that a line of dogs is supposed to get better because I have seen and done it...

The absolute best dog I ever bred in my backyard and trained was a dog I named Yeller... I consider him to be the best I ever hunted and I have hunted some good ones who were mostly related to Yeller...but as weird as it sounds I only bred him once to my dogs but they were all related to him if not all it was most of them...I just knew there was no way he could breed true...a once in a lifetime dog does not reproduce himself because he is too far away from normal...so these traits must be recessives and I don’t think the normal genetic makeup is not there to reproduce itself...to make a dominant recessive there has to be both sets of the same from each parent if I understand it correctly...but those weren’t my only reasons...he was also a crossbred dog...cowdog/hogdog from the sires side and coondog/beardog from the dams side...I crossed that cowdog because the owner said he was a smart dog and I wanted to lock in the size and tighter mouth...

I do not think I will have another like him in my lifetime but the biggest difference between great dogs and once in a lifetime dogs is brain power...the once in a lifetime dogs almost have magical powers like knowing they will outstrike the other dog because they just know it...and finding game for them is just as easy...

I just wonder how many pups were not identified or maybe just ruined and/or they were never found out...

Not that I'm casting stones but...........

You just contradicted yourself from earlier posts. Your "BEST" dog was not just 1 cross bred dog but a double cross bred dog. So how can you tell me that making cross breds is hurting the breed and then tell me that the best you've had was a cross bred. And I'd say you actually hurt your program by not using Yeller. Multiple ways to use Yeller, and "lock his traits in". But I don't plan on being a "breeder". I don't plan on keeping pups until they can tree coons to find the best 1. If you sell your pups and keep track of them. A bunch you can see go at a young age and then buy it back if you like it. That's what we've done in the past and it works for us. It keeps our feed bill cost down and way less dogs for us to feed. But make no mistake, if none of these pups work out we won't quit, well just take a step back and regroup. What we're trying to do is get an extremely hard gene to find to double itself. Having a dog that can tree layups and getting it to reproduce it is a tough task. IMHO probably the toughest trait to breed for.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-17-2019 04:52 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

No problem..I speak as I see it...Yeller was the best I ever had...and there is no doubt which side of the family was best...no comparison...so I chose that route and bred Yellers son named buck to the females I kept and then bred Buck to a few of his own daughters(all mt cur with that bit of BMC)...some were granddaughters and other relations on pedigree as well...I did say earlier that I place way more value in what’s in a dog than just what a dog can do...didn’t say it like that but that is what I meant...a dog is complete when he hunts right and is bred right...from hearing some of the competition folks talk you can get duds from world champion pedigrees...that is confusing to me and have my theories why...

I do not think there is much anyone can say to me without me coming back with a quick answer on account I believe I have turned over every stone that I could think of and once I answered all my questions I moved forward...not saying I am right but I did it because I thought and believed I was right...

Novicane65...I appreciate you questioning that reasoning...again I am not saying I am right but if I had to do it again I would do it the same way except keep some straws from Yeller and a few others...

Old Post 09-17-2019 06:20 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Y'all realize that crossbred dogs have been being bred and winning money for decades without hurting anything right?

Old Post 09-17-2019 06:26 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Y'all realize that crossbred dogs have been being bred and winning money for decades without hurting anything right?

which is what Dave and me have been trying to say now for 6 pages

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 09-17-2019 06:38 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Heck when it comes right down to it you likely don't need more than one hand
to count the number of actual family bred bloodlines within each of the supposed UKC pure bred breeds do you? I'm speaking about the (6) breeds UKC has recognized from the late 40's up through until the Leopard Hounds and more recently X-Bred hounds were taken in.

Last edited by DL NH on 09-17-2019 at 09:29 PM

Old Post 09-17-2019 09:22 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Crossbreds

I must admit that I was a little bit upset at the original post indicating "mixed up junk". I have been involved as a coon hunter for over 60 years, I hunted with my dad at an early age and I am almost 71 (Oct.). My dad hunted from a young age and almost all of the dogs were grade dogs in those days. Those dogs were not junk and the Cross bred dogs of today are not junk. Rarely did those digs tree and not have the meat, slick treeing dogs were not tolerated in these mountains. I still don't tolerate a slick treeing dog, I am coon hunting not hunting trees! The competition hunts requiring registered dogs ( self serving to the registry) to hunt in their hunts was what started everyone wanting registered dogs. I remember most of the early papers were yellow papered, as they had plenty of unknown blood on a 3 generation pedigree. For many years single registration occurred and put new genes into the breeding pool. Many behind the barn crosses added new blood or genes to this pool albeit not authorized by the registry, it definitely happened. Now we can cross breed any register the offspring and you have folks saying this practice is wrong. PR. BRED is just a marketing tool and if DNA had been in place from the start, folks would understand that their PUREBREDS were not so pure. I for one don't care as long as the dogs ability suits me. Dave

Old Post 09-17-2019 10:10 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Good post Dave

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 09-17-2019 10:50 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

It’s nice to see other people that have good sound logic. I feel Eric, Dave, and Dan have all but summed up exactly what I’ve seen played out over time. I don’t think anybody would question a good sound breeding within a family line as long as the parents are of exceptional quality. Problem is, money or papers, have clouded the eyes of men and instead of breeding to the best performer they breed to the dog that allows them to maintain registered dogs for whatever reason. There is no way the xbreed program can hurt anything. If you don’t agree with it, don’t use it. But it gives men an option to breed the best he can find and then show them to the world unlike in years past.

Old Post 09-17-2019 10:57 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Crossbreds

Hounds like Big Country and others have way to much to offer in ability for those wanting to make a cross to them to pay any attention to the PR status. My once in a lifetime dog was a bluetick Cross BRED and I had to hunt his as a grade dog, he dominated the hunts in his day winning the grade part and high scoring dog of the hunt most of the time. Still, I never got to put him in the major hunts like Grand American, Autumn Oaks, etc. He would have held his own in any hunt in the country. Now these men like Eric, Josh, Ghost, and anyone else will have that opportunity to hunt their cross breed dogs in any hunt they desire. I look forward to seeing some of the crosses from Big Country and the other breeds as they get old enough to compete in the hunts. Let's see who calls them mixed up mutts then. Dave

Old Post 09-17-2019 11:18 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Crossbreds

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I look forward to seeing some of the crosses from Big Country and the other breeds as they get old enough to compete in the hunts. Let's see who calls them mixed up mutts then. Dave

They've been competing for years. There have been NCH crossbreeds, world hunt winners, SS winners, and multiple finalists.

Old Post 09-19-2019 06:04 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Josh

Thanks for pointing that out, while I was aware of these facts, there are lots of folks that did not know just how much the xbreed have won. I commend those who have the desire to breed coondog to coondog regardless of breed , those trying to get the best coondog and are not concerned about a PR pedigree. Dave

Old Post 09-19-2019 09:14 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Josh

quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, while I was aware of these facts, there are lots of folks that did not know just how much the xbreed have won. I commend those who have the desire to breed coondog to coondog regardless of breed , those trying to get the best coondog and are not concerned about a PR pedigree. Dave

Some aren't familiar with what these Dogs have done in other Registries. Ruby, Trader and several of his puppies, Sambo, and others. A lot of nice coon dogs that reproduced nice coon dogs.

Old Post 09-20-2019 01:56 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Josh

You bet, I would not mind owning any of those mixed up junk dogs. I coon hunt and want ability over any set of papers with PR in front. Dave

Old Post 09-20-2019 03:12 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
You bet, I would not mind owning any of those mixed up junk dogs. I coon hunt and want ability over any set of papers with PR in front. Dave

If someone says they wouldn't own Ruby........ Call them on it. She's won over 100k in PKC, and her owner is a top notch guy and will talk to nobodies like myself or you just like he'd talk to the more well known guys. Trader has done well, his pups is what really stands out for me. He's is a good guy, and like Wes is approachable for anyone to talk to.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 09-20-2019 12:13 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

If someone says they wouldn't own Ruby........ Call them on it. She's won over 100k in PKC, and her owner is a top notch guy and will talk to nobodies like myself or you just like he'd talk to the more well known guys. Trader has done well, his pups is what really stands out for me. He's is a good guy, and like Wes is approachable for anyone to talk to.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 09-20-2019 12:13 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

Lol. We both know that any real coon hunter would love to own any of those top xbreed coon dogs. Truth is most folks never get to own a exceptional coondog of any breed, they are scarce. I would jump at the chance for another exceptional coondog, regardless of the breed. Dave

Old Post 09-20-2019 07:09 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

Double post

Old Post 09-20-2019 07:09 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

How did the X- breds do in the World last night?

Old Post 09-20-2019 10:35 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I would say better than the Redbones done, looks like the Redbones were scratched , none of the xbreed were scratched, you decide how they done. Also, they fared just as well as the Plotts and the Leopards done. Looks like the 3 original xbreeds Walkers, English and Blueticks make up 25 out of the 26 left ( 1 Black and Tan), one if the Walkers is actually a cross breed Ace is out of the same cross that Ruby was only from a younger litter. Hummmmmmmmmmmm. Dave. P. S. Forgot about Cecil, that makes 2 xbreed that are shown as Walkers.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 09-21-2019 at 03:36 AM

Old Post 09-20-2019 10:58 PM
RH.
UKC Forum Member

Ace and Cecil are crossbred for sure, oh my goodness richard... how did the redbones do?

Old Post 09-21-2019 01:55 AM
RH. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RH. Click here to Send RH. a Private Message Find more posts by RH. Add RH. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

One mans mixed up junk is another mans best friend , everyone is free to feed and hunt what they want.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 09-21-2019 12:58 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Xbreeds

Chuck, you are so right, hunt what you like. I just wanted to make a very valid point with these posts and that is I refuse to allow someone to call the xbreeds junk. I respect it if someone only hunts their "purebreds" but get a burr under my butt when they call the xbreeds junk. I don't care what any man breeds, sells or hunts, it's their choice. Just don't call another man's xbreed junk. I know that most of the so called purebred have something else in the gene pool. Dave

Old Post 09-21-2019 11:21 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Xbreeds

Chuck, you are so right, hunt what you like. I just wanted to make a very valid point with these posts and that is I refuse to allow someone to call the xbreeds junk. I respect it if someone only hunts their "purebreds" but get a burr under my butt when they call the xbreeds junk. I don't care what any man breeds, sells or hunts, it's their choice. Just don't call another man's xbreed junk. I know that most of the so called purebred have something else in the gene pool. Dave

Old Post 09-21-2019 11:22 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Honest question. Not trying to be smart. How or why 2 dogs shown a TW really crossbred?

Old Post 09-21-2019 11:57 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Honest question. Not trying to be smart. How or why are 2 dogs shown as TW really crossbred?

Old Post 09-21-2019 11:58 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote