UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon catching theory
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
joey
UKC Forum Member

Coon catching theory

I have a dog that is 4 years old, he has caught over 150 coon on the ground. He caught 2 last night, That's running wide open not slipping around silent catching them. He is fast but I have had dogs that were faster and never caught a coon. He will do this running a track by himself or running with other dogs. He is extremely accurate and I know he trees a lot of layups off body scent with no track. I've learned over the years that coon do not just get struck and run to a tree. A lot of them will squat like a rabbit and let the dogs run past. I've seen it several times. The dogs over run them and never get it picked back up.

So I have been thinking that one reason he catches so many is because he is so good at picking up body scent like when he trees lay ups. The other night I watched it happen. He was with two pups and was running a coon up a fence row coming right at me. I seen the coon coming and he crossed a log and squatted down on the other side. Everything come over the log but when he got about 10 feet past it he through his head up and went strait to the coon and caught it. Was this a fluke or is this how he is doing it all the time? If so I have other dogs that were layup dogs and didn't do this?

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-2019 06:32 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

where do you hunt at? cause i have hunted in some really good places with some really good dogs and i have never heard one person over their life ever catching that many on the ground much less one dog....

Old Post 06-13-2019 08:52 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24
where do you hunt at? cause i have hunted in some really good places with some really good dogs and i have never heard one person over their life ever catching that many on the ground much less one dog....

I live in Arkansas, he has caught them all over. Several people have seen him catch 2 or 3 a night. Some nights he doesn't catch any. He went through a spell where he didn't catch any after he got eat up real bad by one. Poor dog is scared up like a fighting dog, more than one vet visit because of it. Honestly I wish he wouldn't catch them. Last month on a one hour hunt we were walking to the other dogs treed, hunt was fixing to end and he caught one on the ground 40 yards from their tree. Pulled all but one dog off the tree. I've hunted 30 years and I have have only seen one other dog do it like him, Joe Hughes had him his name was Curtis.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-13-2019 09:56 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

What some dogs can do with their nose that others can't and then not be to do something as good as the dog that couldn't is hard to explain. Shadlac on here probably understands locating ability better than most. I'd like to pick his brain sometime

Old Post 06-13-2019 10:57 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Maybe for some reason you have a real stupid coon population. Lol. Must be the environment they grow up in.

Old Post 06-13-2019 11:45 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

The dog must drink alot of caffeine ....

Old Post 06-14-2019 01:00 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like a nice dog that has a ton of coon sense.. Just curious what's the breeding on your dog??? Sounds like a nice outfit!!

Old Post 06-14-2019 04:10 AM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I had a female that treed a ton of layups. One night I seen her tree a layup the whole cast didn't know was there she winded it on the turn loose went through a saddle on the ridge and treed in the field on the other side of the ridge. She winded them coon (three in one tree) 500 yards from where she treed them.

She caught them on the ground consistently. She ran with her head up and pulled hair. She caught them in the thickets and mountains of Tennessee and the corn fields of Illinois. She caught coon on the ground wherever she went.

She was an open trailer.

She was the fastest track dog I have ever been in the woods with and the most accurate treedog.

She didn't make as many trees as other dogs I have owned.

She just had a great nose and knew how to use it. She caught probably 1-2 per month and as high as 3 in one night. It was not uncommon for her.

She was a black and tan out of Two Time Albert.

It may have been like he said, she tracked the body/air scent so she caught them when others missed them on the dodge.

Old Post 06-14-2019 04:21 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Ole Wood would make a he'll of a bobcat dog if he would run them.

Old Post 06-14-2019 05:10 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I am pretty sure a whole lot of dogs catch coon on the ground , and a lot of them get shocked for it , how many times has your dog or dogs left out screaming and get almost out of hearing , sound like they are treed for a few , and then go silent. Tom and I have had this happen when hunting together and it has happened quite a few times every year not just with Tom but my other hunting buddies as well Gary , Pat , Kooper , Justin etc. especially in January , February and March.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-14-2019 12:08 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24

You need to hunt with My Judge dog then , I call him BIG STUPID , He is BIG but he ain't Stupid and he ain't slow. He turned 8 in Jan and he caught at least a half dozen on the ground in ,J , F and March.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-14-2019 12:13 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Mine catch every cage coon I cut loose !! Bring um down here see how many they catch ! You must have really clean woods.

Just sayen

Tar

Old Post 06-14-2019 12:22 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Mullins
UKC Forum Member

I seen a b&t several years ago, he was old and slow, would jack a track bad. He had been a good dog when he was young. But the one thing he would do, for some reason unknown to me is catch coon on the ground. He caught several.

Old Post 06-14-2019 12:58 PM
Larry Mullins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Mullins Click here to Send Larry Mullins a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Mullins Find more posts by Larry Mullins Add Larry Mullins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joey your a pretty bright fellow. What do you feel it is that allows this dog to catch these coon. You say he isn't silent and I have always thought this was the biggest reason for something like this happening.

I have never had one do this. Down here in this thick stuff the outcome you see from a coon being pushed hard is the coon ending up in smaller trees or trees you can tell it is not comfortable in.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 06-14-2019 at 03:21 PM

Old Post 06-14-2019 01:35 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

I hunt in the delta and its wide open woods and I have one of ours that is almost silent on track. It's no big deal to tree 7-8 or more a night where my camp is between delta national and a lot of other public land right there. In 5 years I've seen one coon caught on the ground up there and I'm pretty sure it was sickly. I'd love to see him go if you came down and hunted one weekend in the fall.

Old Post 06-14-2019 02:35 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

You say this dog is an open trailing track dog? How open is open in your definition? Some would call a dog that opens a couple times before it trees an open trailing dog. I suppose if this dog is extremely fast and you have ground that is pretty open, meaning no briars, thick swamps, rocky/ledgey, etc. it's possible. It'd be rare that's for sure.

Is this dog chop mouth or bawl mouth on track?

Old Post 06-14-2019 03:20 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
You say this dog is an open trailing track dog? How open is open in your definition? Some would call a dog that opens a couple times before it trees an open trailing dog. I suppose if this dog is extremely fast and you have ground that is pretty open, meaning no briars, thick swamps, rocky/ledgey, etc. it's possible. It'd be rare that's for sure.

He is wide open, he barks more than I like on a hot track. He chops and has a big squall. The biggest part of them he catches are in thickets and or water.

He is fast but I have seen faster, my old howler female is faster than he is and I think has caught one coon in her life.

Bruce, I really think its because he uses his nose for body scent. A lot of people do not know that a coon will duck and squat like a rabbit to let the dogs run by. I think when they do that is when he catches them. Its what I seen happen when that coon ducked behind the log right behind me.

He hardly ever trees a den, but when he does the coon is normally on the outside. He doesn't do it in the summertime but in the winter a lot of time he will be looking where the coon is setting out on a limb as he trees. He just knows where they are.

The dog has more holes than I care to admit. Some of those holes are caused from him wanting to catch a coon, but he has a uncanny ability to know where a coon is and I think its because of what we call locating ability.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-14-2019 05:14 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Mullins
I seen a b&t several years ago, he was old and slow, would jack a track bad. He had been a good dog when he was young. But the one thing he would do, for some reason unknown to me is catch coon on the ground. He caught several.

Thats what I'm trying to say, I dont think its about speed. Its about finding the coon. They do not just take off as fast as they can go when a dog is trailing them. They are like deer, a fast dog makes a deer go fast, with a slow dog they will just stay ahead of them. I have seen coons just walking ahead of dogs that acted like they were cold trailing. No idea why but I have seen it more than once.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-14-2019 05:20 PM
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Joey ,

Ive got a young dog that is doing the same thing . BUT he is not catching coon on the ground like you describe ... not yet anyways.
He ALWAYS is winding and treeing on the body of the coon , runs with head in the air , always wanting to walk on back legs while on lead, and has a VERY GOOD nose on him. Smells coon other dogs dont even know is around. He doesnt tree just to hear his head rattle. He also has some holes were working on as well .
He is the most INTELLIGENT dog ive ever owned or seen Period.

I think that is your dog , hes just extremely intelligent !! !!!! and has great nose and winding ability. SMART SUCKER !!!!!

Old Post 06-14-2019 05:32 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Joey ,
Im curious and you got me thinking......
By chance will your dog wind a coon outta the box while driving and prior to pulling up to your location to cut loose and go the opposite direction you cut him or want him to go to find out hes heading where you just drove through and trees a coon sitting up you just drove by or under several hundred yards away ?

Old Post 06-14-2019 05:38 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
Joey ,
Im curious and you got me thinking......
By chance will your dog wind a coon outta the box while driving and prior to pulling up to your location to cut loose and go the opposite direction you cut him or want him to go to find out hes heading where you just drove through and trees a coon sitting up you just drove by or under several hundred yards away ?

He will wind them off the box but will not go back if I pass it by very far. What he does do is listen for frogs. If he hears frogs it doesn't matter what way you cut him he is going strait to the frogs.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-14-2019 05:58 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joey if you have been close enough to him when coming on a tree. Do you notice that sometimes he would come into the tree making you think he is seeing the coon up there instead of smelling it on the side of the tree? These dogs have a lot of different styles. Just when you thought you have seen it all. Something new pops up.

Old Post 06-14-2019 06:25 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Guess he figured out that the frog ponds are the McDonalds of the raccoon society!! LOL!

Old Post 06-14-2019 06:26 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH

Mine was a squall mouth dog. Open trailer but was an honest 2 or 3rd strike dog because she had it going in a direction before she opened. She was also the most intelligent hound I have ever owned.

I hunt swamps, mountains, creek beds, thickets, and corn fields. It didn't matter where she was hunted she caught them on the ground. She would literally run them down in a cornfield race lots of times (She caught two at Autumn Oaks one year like that during the cast). I have seen her shut out an entire cast several times and they struck the coon in the same spot, she just treed it more than 5 minutes in front of the cast.

She is also the dog that taught me coons grunt, she was putting it on one in a swamp one night and she brung it by the truck. I could hear something breathing hard and grunting and she was right behind it pullin hair. Coon got treed right there within 20 yards of the truck. It was climb or die with her.

Never owned another dog that caught coons on the ground like she did. It didn't seem like a big deal to me at the time cause she was one of the first dogs I owned but I never had one since. Her daughter caught a few (maybe 10 in her life) but nothing like her momma.

Old Post 06-14-2019 06:34 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

I sure would love to see him go right here. You are welcome anytime. Come for a week nov.-feb. Won’t have many pop ups that time a year so I would at least get to watch him run some tracks or catch some tracks that way. In no way am I being a smart butt either. If he can do that here I’ve got a female I sure would like bred to him.
If he has any grit about him, he would be my type of bear dog.

I say right here because my coon don’t circle and duck and dodge like a bobcat. At least I’ve never ran a coon long enough for it to make a circle. It would make for an interesting experiment for me anyway.

Last edited by Ghost14 on 06-14-2019 at 07:29 PM

Old Post 06-14-2019 07:22 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote