UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Babbling dogs
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Don't competition hunt anymore so it has nothing to do with winning or loosing. I just can't stand a babbling dog. Won't own one and you'd have to be a special friend to keep me hunting with you if you have one.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-02-2019 05:20 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
The truly sad thing is that these younger hunters have no idea what a dog with a superior nose and a brain to go with it can do, and a lot of the older guys have forgotten.

How good of a nose they got to have in 10 acres I can smell them in those little bitty woods.

Tar

Old Post 09-02-2019 05:42 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Have any of you ever tried to convince the owner of a babbler that he didn't have a cold nosed dog?

Yeah the dog could be running down the center line of the road and they would swear it was running a coon.

Old Post 09-02-2019 06:08 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
How good of a nose they got to have in 10 acres I can smell them in those little bitty woods.

Tar

Does a 4 hour coon track smell different depending on how many acres of woods his den sits in

Old Post 09-02-2019 06:33 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Does a 4 hour coon track smell different depending on how many acres of woods his den sits in

Got to be a slowpoke coon not to get out of 10 acres in 4 hrs 4 hrs ours are in the next county !

Tar

Old Post 09-02-2019 06:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Got to be a slowpoke coon not to get out of 10 acres in 4 hrs 4 hrs ours are in the next county !

Tar

Exactly, nothing to run one into the next section particularly during the kill season. Coon aren't contained to the woods they den in

Old Post 09-02-2019 06:56 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Exactly, nothing to run one into the next section particularly during the kill season. Coon aren't contained to the woods they den in

Dogs still babble to much and the rules allow it and the handlers use it for an advantage. you bring them down here and every time they bark off the the snap and tree a coon I will give you a dollar. Every time they bark off the snap and don’t tree a coon you give me a dollar at daylight we will see who has more dollars.

Tar

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:05 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Dogs still babble to much and the rules allow it and the handlers use it for an advantage. you bring them down here and every time they bark off the the snap and tree a coon I will give you a dollar. Every time they bark off the snap and don’t tree a coon you give me a dollar at daylight we will see who has more dollars.

Tar

It's the idiots that try to minus a dog that didn't babble off lead but they minus a dog they can't see, who can't smell what the dog does, who thinks he knows more about your dog than u do after ten minutes. These types of guys do more damage to the sport most others

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:16 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
It's the idiots that try to minus a dog that didn't babble off lead but they minus a dog they can't see, who can't smell what the dog does, who thinks he knows more about your dog than u do after ten minutes. These types of guys do more damage to the sport most others

From what I have seen how you going to minus one when you got a minute every drop and 3 out of the 4 on the cast leave barking.

I don’t even try to minus one it ain’t worth the fuss.

Tar

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:24 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
From what I have seen how you going to minus one when you got a minute every drop and 3 out of the 4 on the cast leave barking.

Tar

I think babbling is a much bigger problem down south for some reason

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:28 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:

Less coons, thicker bigger woods, might be 800 yrds before you strike one ,might go to three spots and not strike one but the dogs bark at every spot.

Tar

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:31 PM
indiana1
UKC Forum Member

If you unsnap that sure enough coondog and he strikes right off and jams one up quick or in reasonable amount of time you will not have a problem from me. If we are cutting back in most of the night because ole boy is carrying an undeserved strike we got a problem if you strike that dog again off the lead. The problem is those type usually end up in the opposite direction from where they were running their track to cover another.

(Uchtman’s blue Amos x Uchtman’s blue Magic)
NITECH Lynch’s LIL BLU MAC (Walston’s Big Country x Hatcreek Kate 2)

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:32 PM
indiana1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for indiana1 Click here to Send indiana1 a Private Message Find more posts by indiana1 Add indiana1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

woewoewoe there. no such thing as a babbling dog. ask the handlers ! just cooold traaling. lol

Old Post 09-02-2019 08:26 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Some reason? I just finished reading that somebody saw 23 coons one night and 26 the next night. How are you going to notice babbling in a place like that?

Old Post 09-03-2019 01:54 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Some reason? I just finished reading that somebody saw 23 coons one night and 26 the next night. How are you going to notice babbling in a place like that?

Pretty good logic right there

Old Post 09-03-2019 02:55 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
hell no ! its up north also ! you shouldn't thank that way. cold nose dogs all over the country and people talk about dogs of today don't have cold noses. HA. lol

Old Post 09-03-2019 04:24 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I minused a dog for babbling one night that came right in front of us babbling. We had probably been turned loose 5 minutes or so.

Handler started crying saying that he just had a cold nose and I couldn't smell that there was no coon there.

I just politely told him that it was a funny thing we haven't moved. This is where we turned loose at and the dogs didn't open there the first time and none of them even tried to track right there (he was 10 feet from us) and no coon had come through since we been standing there.

He asked for a vote LOL. Needless to say the vote was 3-1

Dog was just trotting through the woods barking and we could watch him. Dog was not on track in any way shape or form but he probably went back and said the whole cast didn't know what a good track dog was LOL.

Old Post 09-03-2019 05:08 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by davery
The tight mouth dogs most of the time are getting strikes points on a tree bark and y’all are telling me this is alright these dogs need to be scratched and handlers to for lying

Is this a serious post? If a tight mouth dog is getting struck on a tree bark and beat g you consistently I would check the end of my lead.

Old Post 09-03-2019 05:29 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Babbling

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
A 1st tree dog will almost always beat a babbling dog.

If the babbling dog is a 1st tree dog, you can't beat it. But, if it's consistently treeing before anything else, why can't we believe that it is also striking before anything else?

You can take 3rd strike, 1st tree = 175 points. If the babbler is a 1st strike, 2nd tree = 175 points, you still win with most + tree points.

Allowing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs to get just as many points as 1st tree dogs (via split) could give an advantage to a split-treeing babbler.

Solution = Don't give 2nd. 3rd, and 4th tree dogs just as many points as 1st tree dogs (a split tree is at best a 2nd tree, and sometimes it can be a 3rd or 4th tree).

If the babbler gets 1st strike, 2nd tree, that's 175. Loses to 3rd strike,1st tree. The problem is allowing that 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tree ( when split) get just as many tree points as a 1st tree dog!!!

Trying to see if I understand what you are saying. Are you saying a dog that is getting split should not get 1st tree.?

Old Post 09-03-2019 05:31 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Babbling

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
Trying to see if I understand what you are saying. Are you saying a dog that is getting split should not get 1st tree.?
Sounds that way to me to. If a dog gets split an has his own coon why wouldn’t he deserve a 100 or 125. It treed it’s own coon.

Old Post 09-03-2019 05:44 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

If a dog that splits an has a coon an doesn’t receive full tree points that is crazy.Might as well jump on the me too wagon . An on top of that leave the babbling me too in the game all so.

Old Post 09-03-2019 05:52 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
you just like many couldn't understand that if a dog didn't tree 1st but split treed is simply a slow track dog or a slow hunter in many cases so they don't deserve the same amount of tree points. Just like a babbler never deserves more strike points.

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:19 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Who called Tar Simple! never mind me ! Just babbling. lol

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:30 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
Who called Tar Simple! never mind me ! Just babbling. lol

Chewie it is simple their brain is telling them to bark at stuff their nose ain’t smellen !

Tar

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:45 AM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

quote:

That's exactly what I'm saying. And, I'm speaking from experience. I've had a couple that would split tree to a fault. They weren't nearly as good as the better dogs that were already treed with the meat.

If I have (and I have had) a dog that is consistently split-treeing, I know that I'm short on dog power with that dog. This is totally different than a legitimate 1st tree dog that HOLDS UNDER SPLIT PRESSURE. Totally different class and quality of dog!

If I were to race Usain Bolt (fastest human), I'm totally outclassed and out of my league. He will be first to the finish line. But, being totally outclassed, I change MY FINISH LINE to the hot dog stand (I will be the 1st there). SHOULD I GET JUST AS MUCH CREDIT AS USAIN BOLT??? So, with our split tree rules, Usain gets 125 finish line (tree) points, and I get 125 finish line (tree) points. But, as he was smoking me at the start, I vocalized "Oh, my God, I can't compete with him". Having opened my mouth 1st, I've got 1st strike.

I WIN!!!

NASCAR: (Outdated I know). Jimmie Johnson is 10 laps ahead of Dale Jr. Dale Jr. pulls out of the race and goes to a nearby track, where he finishes his laps all alone. With our split tree rules it's a tie! They started on the same track, but, once Dale Jr. realizes he can't compete, he peels off and finds a different track. ARE THEY REALLY EQUAL, AND, IF YOU THINK SO, WHY DO YOU THINK SO?

Last edited by honalieh on 09-04-2019 at 03:46 AM

Old Post 09-04-2019 03:05 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote