UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Stud fees
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
deanbluedogs
UKC Forum Member

Stud fees

I'm curious to know if owners of legitimate Grand nt females be expected to pay the same as open registered females when hunting a stud dog.
Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-24-2019 08:54 AM
deanbluedogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deanbluedogs Click here to Send deanbluedogs a Private Message Find more posts by deanbluedogs Add deanbluedogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Unless I'm mistaken the stud fee is set by the owner of the stud. Doesn't matter wether your female is grade or has every title under the sun. Owner of the stud holds the reins in that department and also chooses wether or not to require a negative brucellosis test before the breeding occurs.

The flip side of the coin is that the owner of the dam determines the price of the pups assuming all goes as planned and she has a litter. Regardless of what the stud fee was.

Old Post 08-24-2019 12:43 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Why would it be any cheaper for "legitimate" Gr Nt females? Do the owners of "legitimate" Gr Nt females charge less for their pups?

Old Post 08-24-2019 12:55 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Why would it be any cheaper for "legitimate" Gr Nt females? Do the owners of "legitimate" Gr Nt females charge less for their pups?

It might be cheaper because the stud owner is worried more about getting to breed to proven coondogs with chance of raising better pup instead of putting a little extra money in there pocket. But seem some people worry about the money first and hope some how a coon dog falls out of the mix somewhere.

In my limited experience raising pups I have been able to breed my female to a dual grand and pkc state race winner/ breed race winner for only a pup for stud fee. Only breeding I every paid for I give $500 for live litter guaranteed
and it's been 3 years of getting jerked around and ignored.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 08-24-2019 01:12 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

The best you can do is talk it over with the stud dog owners. I had a top reproducing female that started getting attention and a couple stud dog owners that wouldn't even take me hunting with their dog before suddenly decided to offer me a free breeding. Over the right female the stud can get a lot of attention plus the fact that if they are a performance sire the stud owner can recoup some $ in performance sire fees. Talk it over with them. Whatcha got to lose?

Old Post 08-24-2019 02:20 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, "money in their pocket"? Try buying a stud dog or raising, feeding, training one and then paying to Performance and Super Stake nominate them.
If you give the stud owner a pup then you have paid a $300-$500 stud fee.

Old Post 08-24-2019 02:48 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
In my limited experience raising pups I have been able to breed my female to a dual grand and pkc state race winner/ breed race winner for only a pup for stud fee. Only breeding I every paid for I give $500 for live litter guaranteed
and it's been 3 years of getting jerked around and ignored.

Getting a pup that is weaned and at least 2 shots for a $300 stud fee is the best scam going, Sale pup for $500, buyer picks it up from the breeder an stud owner get paid.

Old Post 08-24-2019 02:49 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Another twist.......

......someone once told me that when he was choosing what stud to breed his good female to it was as much about the owner of the stud as it was the stud. Think on that awhile and see if you agree there's some legit truth there.

Old Post 08-24-2019 04:16 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Anyone standing a dog at stud is gonna earn whatever fee he charges and had better have a lot of patience. Dealing with the public will drive you into going postal with the no shows after you stayed home to wait for them, bringing females that aren't ready and expecting you to perform miracles and them wanting you to keep and board them until mission accomplished.

Old Post 08-24-2019 04:20 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

I've bred grand nite all grand females to many different sires and I have never paid less than the advertised stud fee on any of them. Now the frozen semen and all the costs/risks/no rebreed associated with the frozen semen is grounds for negotiation.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 08-24-2019 04:33 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I will never ever own anouther stud dog as Long as I live. I hunt females only the only reason I got ole goofy Gus out here is because there was only two pups and both were males.

Tar

Old Post 08-24-2019 04:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Anyone standing a dog at stud is gonna earn whatever fee he charges and had better have a lot of patience. Dealing with the public will drive you into going postal with the no shows after you stayed home to wait for them, bringing females that aren't ready and expecting you to perform miracles and them wanting you to keep and board them until mission accomplished.

👍👍!!

Old Post 08-24-2019 04:53 PM
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

If your not willing to pay the cost of the stud fee for a pup out of your own female she probably shouldn't be bred.

Old Post 08-24-2019 06:09 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JHayes
UKC Forum Member

I think stud fees are way under priced.
Been there done that.
Guys calling all hours of the night,
Getting stuck with gyps that are due “any” day
Meet me here meet me there
Stuck with females until the pups are born
Lol
If they miss it’s always the studs fault
Dogs fighting barking all night
Biting me as well
It’s not worth the headache
I always give guys some a break for quality gyps and also for quality owners
But that’s just my two cents

Old Post 08-24-2019 07:04 PM
JHayes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JHayes Click here to Send JHayes a Private Message Click Here to Email JHayes Find more posts by JHayes Add JHayes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I think those that haven't done it have a misconception that there is no little effort on the part of stud dog owners. Some seem to think you just throw them in a pen together, done deal collect your $ and that is it. On call 7-365, many don't know what part of cycle their female is in, you house many for days, duct tape, short chained, vaseline and still sometimes multiple people needed to get the job done, the risk of injury or illness to the male. Over weight females and those that throw an ever living fit, paperwork and registration not in order and DNA not previously done. Having someone there to meet with those who have traveled or taking time off work yourself. Keeping a stud paid up in everything and staying on top of all the paperwork on that end. It isn't all fun and roses like some may think. Some of us do it because we have confidence in what our dog is throwing and to keep ourselves and others who are looking for the same thing in pups, a bettering of the breed if you will. If ours didn't produce dogs we like and hunt I can assure you the headache wouldn't be worth it you have to have a love of this sport.
Todays world is not like the old days of a penned up stud where people flock to breed because of some pretty ad, they go to who is winning and producing those winners.
Ours have never had any ads ran and rarely a stud fee charged most all are by some private treaty with the dams owner.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-24-2019 09:48 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deanbluedogs
UKC Forum Member

Thank you for all the feedback..
I guess my self personally I've been on both sides..
I ve always made more money working for the man.. than with hounds..
But it is a sport that is definitely getting harder to get tips from time to time back..With out sounding like a nostalgic has been ..I personally remembering selling coons for 35 bucks not even skinned..Probably 100. in today's money..
Stud dog adds often had a grand nite fee of 50 .00 or free 150 .00 for nitech..etc.
If folks had a female to win the UKC world hunt this year per say ..I'd venture most stud owners would almost pay the owner of the dam for such a chance to improve his studs bloodline..
(On paper if nothing else)
So it's not a matter of a guy cant afford 300.00 for stud fee he shouldn't breed..( Its sometimes a tangibly measured principle knocking off a few bucks..)
Promoting the bloodline should be heavily considered as well..
Whereas , What better way to appreciate an owner of a dual grand that drove several hundred miles took off work , You want him to go to the local vet get a neg Brucellosis test ..
( Btw wheres your negative test? My bitch has never even been bred..)

Years ago I left my female with a guy and he never even bred the dog to the grand nite as he was sterile)

Henceforth the owner of female is out several hundred dollars before he even pays you..
...Stud owners may say , " I have a lot of money tied up in him,
I need to try and recoup some back..
I'd submit , so does the the owner of titled out female..

So yes I simply cannot wrap my head around charging your neighbor 350..to non titled proven female..
The same as the guy that is actually doing you a bigger favor by bringing his titled female to you..

Just my opinion ..no offence intentionally taken I hope..

Old Post 08-25-2019 12:39 AM
deanbluedogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deanbluedogs Click here to Send deanbluedogs a Private Message Find more posts by deanbluedogs Add deanbluedogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by deanbluedogs
.......the guy that is actually doing you a bigger favor by bringing his titled female to you.......
Just my opinion ..no offence intentionally taken I hope..

I guess it all depends on your perspective or which side of the fence you are on. If you are the dam owner, you are doing the stud owner a favor. If you are the stud owner, you are doing the dam owner a favor. I guess that I have been on both sides of that fence so I understand both perspectives. I have even done myself a favor by breeding my stud to my female and I didn't charge myself.

Old Post 08-25-2019 03:56 AM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Ole X gets excited when I tell him she’s a grnt ch

Old Post 08-25-2019 08:46 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
Ole X gets excited when I tell him she’s a grnt ch

Maf got most excited the time a guy brought up a black & tan.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-25-2019 09:34 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

Reminds me of the old days back in these mountains, when we bred coondog to coondog regardless of breed or color. Judging from the crossbreds today that have turned out pretty nice, that was a pretty good way to breed dogs. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-25-2019 11:07 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deanbluedogs
UKC Forum Member

Stud fees

I appreciate all the feedback ..
For all those going to A.O.
Safe travels ..God bless

Old Post 08-29-2019 03:38 AM
Kenneth Tavares
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Maf got most excited the time a guy brought up a black & tan.

Smart walker dog, he knows a good female when he sees one. 😂

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013
If you text this number you won’t get a response unless you include your name.

💰💰Click blue link to check us out on Facebook💰💰
👉🏼 Tavares' First Class Black & Tans 👈🏼

Tone it down guys, or they will delete another good topic...

Old Post 08-29-2019 04:19 AM
Kenneth Tavares is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenneth Tavares Click here to Send Kenneth Tavares a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenneth Tavares Find more posts by Kenneth Tavares Add Kenneth Tavares to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Tavares
Smart walker dog, he knows a good female when he sees one. 😂

He was given permission to jump the fence lol and he thought he was in love. It is funny how these males seem to like certain females better than others. Bad thing was only one pup survived and we had him he disappeared from the house while running loose at just a few months old.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-29-2019 02:39 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
.....he disappeared from the house while running loose at just a few months old.

Oh my goodness, that is what I tell my wife and grandkids also.

Old Post 08-29-2019 06:17 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Richard surely he wouldn't do that lol!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-29-2019 10:03 PM