UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Reeling them back in one cross at a time!!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Reeling them back in one cross at a time!!

Just about every dog for sale has the deep and lonely tag on it and the last few I had were about the same..Where are the dogs that strike a coon within hearing most every time and trail a coon up and tree it..Breed wise? Line within the breed??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-22-2019 09:11 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have got one or two in my back yard.

Old Post 07-22-2019 09:14 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bring them down here there is a reason we don’t want them. I hate bleeding and throwing up at the same time lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-22-2019 09:26 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Mine usually strike 800 yds. Or less.

Old Post 07-22-2019 10:56 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gmccall
UKC Forum Member

The line of dogs we have hunted since the late eighties seem to strike tracks as they come to them, from 50yds to one mile I really never have kept up with it , but I would think most tracks the dogs get after are in the 400 to 600 yard range. I do know from hunting around the country with different people, dogs today seem to by-pass a lot of coons for what ever reason. Just my opinion could be wrong who knows ?

Old Post 07-24-2019 10:58 AM
Gmccall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gmccall Click here to Send Gmccall a Private Message Click Here to Email Gmccall Find more posts by Gmccall Add Gmccall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Struck 2 this morning and each one was less than 200 yards. One was a good medium driving track the went about 800 yards. Second was a colder feed track that the dog drug around on a few minutes and then got it lined out. Treed about 500 yards later. I have seen this same dog go a mile and not strike anything. But if the coon are moving and in the area. He can get them struck close.

I feel there are two kinds of hunting dogs. Those that start hunting when they hit the ground and then those that go a mile before they start hunting. I have no problem with one going deep if it has the nose to strike about any coon it comes across and hunts when unsnapped. If the coon are not here but over there. Then go over there and tree one. Don't go over there just because you want to.

Old Post 07-24-2019 02:21 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Struck 2 this morning and each one was less than 200 yards. One was a good medium driving track the went about 800 yards. Second was a colder feed track that the dog drug around on a few minutes and then got it lined out. Treed about 500 yards later. I have seen this same dog go a mile and not strike anything. But if the coon are moving and in the area. He can get them struck close.

I feel there are two kinds of hunting dogs. Those that start hunting when they hit the ground and then those that go a mile before they start hunting. I have no problem with one going deep if it has the nose to strike about any coon it comes across and hunts when unsnapped. If the coon are not here but over there. Then go over there and tree one. Don't go over there just because you want to.

exactly like I like em!! Last night struck and treed 2 singles home by 11 pm. Both struck and treed inside of 300 yds.each.

Old Post 07-24-2019 02:35 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Conkey what time did you turn loose this morning? Just curious. I’m in the southeast also and have been thinking about starting hunting in the mornings. Thanks

Old Post 07-24-2019 03:53 PM
barnescreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnescreek Click here to Send barnescreek a Private Message Find more posts by barnescreek Add barnescreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

About 5:15

Old Post 07-24-2019 06:09 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Just food for thought but, why not reel them in if you don't want the dog going a mile?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-24-2019 06:29 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

It's always been easier for me to cut down on their range than to add to it!

Old Post 07-24-2019 07:21 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Not everybody wants to walk around looking at a screen all night and having to push a button to keep a dog hunting this side of the mountain. I want them hunting where I’m hunting. I cut them loose here for a reason, if I want to hunt the next watershed I’ll drive them around and send them in there. Havnt seen one deep and lonely yet that hunted this side before they left out. They just leave and the dog that hunted a few hollers here got treed and we could have loaded up and made another drop. Instead, we end up riding around for a couple hours trying to find deep and lonely. Finally get to send them again at midnight or after and the same story, speedy blows out of here and we listen to a good old track unravel and get it treed then start our search for old barn burner. Find him treed way through the country at 4 or 5 am and have to go home cause there isn’t enough time left before the deer hunters are out and about to turn loose again. Those type just are not worth anything to me or anybody else that I know around here. Why not breed dogs that hunt out an area instead of racehorse through the country needing a button to keep any form of sanity to them?

Old Post 07-24-2019 09:27 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
Not everybody wants to walk around looking at a screen all night and having to push a button to keep a dog hunting this side of the mountain. I want them hunting where I’m hunting. I cut them loose here for a reason, if I want to hunt the next watershed I’ll drive them around and send them in there. Havnt seen one deep and lonely yet that hunted this side before they left out. They just leave and the dog that hunted a few hollers here got treed and we could have loaded up and made another drop. Instead, we end up riding around for a couple hours trying to find deep and lonely. Finally get to send them again at midnight or after and the same story, speedy blows out of here and we listen to a good old track unravel and get it treed then start our search for old barn burner. Find him treed way through the country at 4 or 5 am and have to go home cause there isn’t enough time left before the deer hunters are out and about to turn loose again. Those type just are not worth anything to me or anybody else that I know around here. Why not breed dogs that hunt out an area instead of racehorse through the country needing a button to keep any form of sanity to them?

I know of several fogs that hunt their way out from you, and if they have what I like to call "coon sense" they will normally find a track to run within hearing and tree within hearing. But what I like and what you like might be different dogs completely. Cuz I don't want the 1-5 mph hunting dogs. I want the ones that hunt at 10+ mph, and when they get struck to bump it up even faster. I don't like ones that are straight line hunters, never have never will. If a dog is smart it heads for water to find a coon tracks here. And when I want to go home, the last thing I want is to dog hunt or chase a dog down to catch it.

But the type of dog you're describing I wouldn't hunt but about 3 nights and I'd go to work on it. Just to try and get it to hunt the way I want, not the way the previous guy wanted. If the dog goes a mile before it starts hunting I don't have much use for it here cuz you'll never be able to hunt it here and keep it alive, too many roads and too many different land owners to cross in s mile.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 07-24-2019 09:49 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

I treed three singles last night. One was at 55 yards, one at 120 yards, and one at 930 yards. Mine tree the first one they come too.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 07-25-2019 02:56 AM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The only problem with reeling in old deep and lonely is that you will find out that he/she is usually worthless when you do.

Old Post 07-25-2019 12:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
The only problem with reeling in old deep and lonely is that you will find out that he/she is usually worthless when you do.

They are worthless to me when they are deep and alone !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 07-25-2019 01:10 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

ID HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE GO GET EM

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 07-25-2019 03:18 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think we might be concentrating on the dog. When the problem might be in the mind of a lot of hunters.

Somehow the catch phrase "Deep and Alone" has crept into the minds of the coon hunter like the jingles that get us to but toothpaste and dish detergent when we go shopping. Use to work in the chewing gum market also. Remember Double your pleasure double your fun. With Wiggleys spearmint gum.
Sing that while your shopping and your going home with some gum.

Sing the deep and lonely long enough and the more you sing it the more you push the shocking button in your hand held. Then the faster the dog tries to get away and the deeper it runs. You can be proud. You are a dog trainer with no ability on the leash to train. But a mile away you can't see that.

The minds of coon hunters have changed. Only time I think that might be a good thing is when Tar reminds me that all the minds in the old days. Where a little different also.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 07-25-2019 at 05:58 PM

Old Post 07-25-2019 03:34 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce if we got deep we hunted every inch of it on the way.

But if they got after speed beef it was all night and part of the next day usually getting them back lol. And you only heard the race about 20 minutes because they was making him run for his life lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-25-2019 06:21 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Bruce I think you make a great point. I hunt a dog right now that I get aggravated at because sometimes in the summer he doesn't go deep enough to my way of thinking. After reading your post I realize that even 20 years ago I would have thought he hunted just perfect. I think we have just heard so much about the get deep dog that we think that is the ideal coon dog, but in reality I like my dog just fine, now that I think about it.

Old Post 07-25-2019 07:01 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Twenty years ago if someone had a deep and lonely dog, no one would hunt with them.

Old Post 07-25-2019 07:48 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I like a dog to bird dog around you. Meaning tree as many coons close by as possible. Cuz if I tree 2 or 3 coons in the first 30 minutes, the other cast members withdraw quick and in a hurry. Because they know the dog they're leading isn't capable of catching up.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 07-25-2019 08:14 PM
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

Is there a better feeling then your hound slamming one quick on the first cut in a nite hunt and re casting to ol deep and lonely and yours treeing another on the long walk in. Boy I love it

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-25-2019 09:39 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If that happened frequently we wouldn't be talking about ole deep and alone as much as we do.

Old Post 07-26-2019 01:00 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
If that happened frequently we wouldn't be talking about ole deep and alone as much as we do.

Where are the dogs of the ones so concerned with where ol deep is at, are they treeing a bunch closer and faster?

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-26-2019 02:33 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote