UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question about shooting coons
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
D&L Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Question about shooting coons

This has probably been discussed before I was just wondering which coon you guys shoot when the coon are rutting the top or the bottom one wanting to shot the boar out and not the sow!!!Thanks in advance

RIP
GRNTCH Dirty Snow Bawling
PKC 3,700 In Earnings

RIP 2011-2017
3 Generation All Grand
GRNTCH GRCH GOLD RIVER LADY
GRNTCH SLONE'S INSANE CAIN X GRNTCH GOLD RIVER KEES

4 Generation All Grand
D&L'S NOTHING BUT A BREEZE
GRNTCH ABBOTTS & BARKERS HAVOC X GRNTCH GOLD RIVER LADY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-10-2018 02:40 AM
D&L Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D&L Kennels Click here to Send D&L Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email D&L Kennels Find more posts by D&L Kennels Add D&L Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question about shooting coons

quote:
Originally posted by D&L Kennels
This has probably been discussed before I was just wondering which coon you guys shoot when the coon are rutting the top or the bottom one wanting to shot the boar out and not the sow!!!Thanks in advance
I HAVE HEARD TOP . REASONING IS THAT THE BOAR WILL BE UP HIGH SO THE SPERM TRAVELS DOWN HILL . I HAVE TREE SOME THAT APPEARED TO BE DOG KNOTTED BUT I LEFT THEM IN THE TREE UNHARMED .LOL

Old Post 01-10-2018 03:35 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david.e.penley
UKC Forum Member

Shooting coons

I always heard the bottom is the boar so the sow can't come down without the boar knowing it . now if there is a sow with almost full grown kittens or kittens , she will be the lower one. JMO

DAVID PENLEY (828)- 635-6881

GRCH GRNITECH HONEY CREEK SPiDER R.I.P.
THE #1 REPRODUCER OUT OF GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK HARRY !

CHKC SUPER STUD, PKC CH, GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK SPIDER (SEMEN)

PKC CH. GRNITECH "PR"
LONE PINE T-REX (SEMEN)

PKC CH GRCH NITECH LEGEND'S LONE PINE TAR HTX (SEMEN)

THE TRUTH DOESN'T HURT ANYONE, IT JUST
PISSES THEM OFF !

BLACKOAK KENNEL
HOME OF:

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH' PR ' WHITE'S LITTLE QUEENIE
( GRNITECH ' PR ' TURPIN'S INSANE CAIN x
CH GRNITECH 'PR' FROST BITE ) OUT OF TRACKMAN.
5 GENERATION ALL GRAND !
5th PLACE FINALIST 2017 WORLD HUNT

PKC CH GRCH NITECH "PR" LONE PINE TAR HTX
( Grnitech Lone Pine Legend and Grniech Stylish Daisy ) Triple Coma and Lone pine as close as your going to get it.
Tar is being hunted and being showed in UKC. Being hunted in pkc also.

"PR" Madcap's Insane Sue
( Grch Grnitech "PR" Insane Madcap and
Insane Gypsy ) " a natural"

Old Post 01-10-2018 05:10 AM
david.e.penley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david.e.penley Click here to Send david.e.penley a Private Message Click Here to Email david.e.penley Visit david.e.penley's homepage! Find more posts by david.e.penley Add david.e.penley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Never gave it much thought. I can tell you the lower is normally the easiest to hit.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 01-10-2018 06:50 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

I always heard the boar will be usually be at the top of the tree and it always has seamed to ring true to me.

Old Post 01-10-2018 05:13 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

The perfect solution, don't shoot either. If your young dog needs more coon at the end of season time to up grade. and your old really don't need it.

Old Post 01-10-2018 05:51 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
The perfect solution, don't shoot either. If your young dog needs more coon at the end of season time to up grade. and your old really don't need it.

I agree with this 100 percent .... but that's just me!

Old Post 01-10-2018 05:58 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Shoot em both, and let us know which is which

Old Post 01-10-2018 06:27 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If they're actually mating when you get there, I would think the top coon is the male. As far as I know, coons are not into various sexual positions. LOL

Old Post 01-10-2018 06:36 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
I agree with this 100 percent .... but that's just me!

Personally I get tired of hearing that same old cliche every time somebody asks a sensible question about giving there dog a coon but then "Hey that's just me"

Old Post 01-10-2018 08:37 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I wonder why some fellas ask if it's a sow after its shot out. Like their upset if it's a sow coon. At that point it doesn't matter.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 01-11-2018 12:11 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I don't think it matters, but that's just me

Old Post 01-11-2018 12:13 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

If there 2 coon up and you shoot one it most likely be a sow.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 01-11-2018 12:30 AM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R Jerry Leviner
UKC Forum Member

Shake the tree!

Shake the tree and listen to which one's nuts rattle! Then you will know! LOL!

Old Post 01-11-2018 01:27 AM
R Jerry Leviner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R Jerry Leviner Click here to Send R Jerry Leviner a Private Message Click Here to Email R Jerry Leviner Find more posts by R Jerry Leviner Add R Jerry Leviner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

My 6yr old boy can tell which one is the sow 99 out of 100 times. He has a sure fire method

Old Post 01-11-2018 03:40 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I seem to remember a post a long time ago about the color of a sow coons eyes and a boar coons eyes were different color. Can’t remember exactly what was said though.

Old Post 01-12-2018 04:31 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
If they're actually mating when you get there, I would think the top coon is the male. As far as I know, coons are not into various sexual positions. LOL

Hahaha

Old Post 01-12-2018 04:39 AM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
My 6yr old boy can tell which one is the sow 99 out of 100 times. He has a sure fire method
Well, are you going to tell us his method, or keep us in suspense?

Old Post 01-12-2018 05:01 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant

There are some areas that the coon populations actually need to be thinned.

As a sportsman, I feel no one should ever dictate what somebody else does as long as they are following the laws in their area.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 01-12-2018 05:01 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Well, are you going to tell us his method, or keep us in suspense?

He told me to quiet the dogs down and listen. Whichever one is bitchin is probably the girl.

Old Post 01-12-2018 08:32 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Josh

You have one smart little boy! Lol.. Dave

Old Post 01-12-2018 10:59 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

If I remember right; the boar's eyes are red or redder. But it's been a long time since I heard it and I never checked to find out. Also, I could be wrong.

Old Post 01-13-2018 12:24 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazy Luke
UKC Forum Member

Wondering

Was wondering how many guys would work the second week if they did not receive their paycheck for the first. Ha. I shoot one coon a night when I go...When the seasons over, the shooting stops. Whats the difference if you treed the same coon in October or November.... Now some outlaws shoot coon out of season and in the summer and I see that as senseless and stupid. Some populations need a little thinning. Everyone has got a different dog that requires different styles of hunting.

Old Post 01-13-2018 12:55 AM
Crazy Luke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Crazy Luke Click here to Send Crazy Luke a Private Message Click Here to Email Crazy Luke Find more posts by Crazy Luke Add Crazy Luke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richard boyd
UKC Forum Member

We are allowed 2 coons per hunting party a night. Trapper are allowed as many as they want a night so I figure I should get my part before they do.

Old Post 01-13-2018 01:12 AM
richard boyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richard boyd Click here to Send richard boyd a Private Message Click Here to Email richard boyd Find more posts by richard boyd Add richard boyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brujan182
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
He told me to quiet the dogs down and listen. Whichever one is bitchin is probably the girl.

Did he tell his momma that Josh?

Old Post 01-13-2018 02:32 AM
brujan182 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brujan182 Click here to Send brujan182 a Private Message Click Here to Email brujan182 Find more posts by brujan182 Add brujan182 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote