UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Naturally Straight vs Trashy
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Dave Richards

I agree with your analysis, gamey desire without intelligence and the dogs desire to please the handler will require training using negative discipline and fear. I wasted a lot of my life training gamey dogs with natural ability that were too dumb to make outstanding hounds.
Desire, intelligence and the desire to please their owner are genetic and inherited. Life is too short to keep breeding and training hounds that have the personality of a house cat. That my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ken Risley

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-23-2019 05:33 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Dave Richards

I agree with your analysis, gamey desire without intelligence and the dogs desire to please the handler will require training using negative discipline and fear. I wasted a lot of my life training gamey dogs with natural ability that were too dumb to make outstanding hounds.
Desire, intelligence and the desire to please their owner are genetic and inherited. Life is too short to keep breeding and training hounds that have the personality of a house cat. That my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ken Risley

Old Post 01-23-2019 05:33 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

I’ve got a question!

Is it possible that a dog can have extra giddy up and not be trashy?

Say it ain’t so

Carry on ......

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-23-2019 05:38 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GLANCY'S 7 MILE
UKC Forum Member

Where I hunt off game heavily out numbers desired game, so most pups and young dogs with any drive/desire are going to get after something when cut loose. Yes it can be aggravating but with a little hunting, training, and exposure to desired game, the smart ones usually catch on pretty quick. Like someone mentioned before you can take things out of a dog, but it's pretty hard to put things in.

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Old Post 01-23-2019 07:32 AM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GLANCY'S 7 MILE Click here to Send GLANCY'S 7 MILE a Private Message Click Here to Email GLANCY'S 7 MILE Visit GLANCY'S 7 MILE's homepage! Find more posts by GLANCY'S 7 MILE Add GLANCY'S 7 MILE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
That was good advice then and still is today. You can not put something in a dog, but you sure can take things out of a dog. I have yet to see any trainer teach a dog to track, hunt or tree, they may think they did. You can stop about anything a dog does, but you can not put what's not there in any dog. If one could do these things, he could be rich in no time at all. Dave

AMEN to that...

Old Post 01-23-2019 11:36 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
It's a matter of personal preference I guess. I don't put them on deer but when they are young most dogs that try to push a track when deer are in rut will run one I can and will stop them anytime I want. Now I like a running dog that will tree I like a dog that is such a superior track dog that there is no way dogs can mee too on them and that are so dominant that over the course of the hunt pieces start falling off the other dogs because they know they are being dominated. Down here without an exceptional track dog you go to a lot of empty trees I am to old and cranky to do that.

Tar

This is where me and my buddies are with young dogs. We don't get carried away when they're under 12-14 months. But when they are coming up on 18 months, the corrections get handed out pretty regularly for trashing for about a month. Then its just a once in awhile type of deal when they do trash. We're hunting 2 young dogs, 1 is 13 months, the other is 15-16 months. The younger 1 is a wild Indian compared to the other. He moves around good, trees coons every night you take him. But he will bump trash if he gets bored and can't find a coon to tree after a while. The older gyp is a nice dog, but doesn't have a wow factor to her her. She's not real flashy in any department. But she's a nice little dog for her age. The younger one will be pretty nice in 6 months. He's going to have a wow factor. He's the type that will beat your eyes shut but you'll enjoy watching him. He trees 3 times the amount of coon and anything else that climbs than the older gyp. He moves at 10-14 in timber. She moves at 7-9. She's no slouch, but just doesn't have any type of wow factors to her.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-23-2019 02:15 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

From the sound of many responses on here it sounds like a trashy dog is a good thing. I can assure everyone that the coon hound of today is MUCH more trash free than 30-40 years ago. Someone has done their homework in breeding this type of hound, and I for one appreciate it. What this tells me is coon hounds can be directed, through quality breeding, to do away with unwanted traits and enhance the good traits, ie... hunting, trailing & treeing in a fast paced fashion. I broke dogs back when there was no advanced methods like we have today. It sure leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you waste night after night chasing your hound through the woods and in most cases, not catching them and hoping they will show up on your jacket the next morning or show up on some honest persons porch who would look at the name tag and call you. The name tag on the collar was the single most important thing with owning a coon hound. I would do this many nights in a row just hoping my hound might tree a coon. How many would do this in todays coon hunting world and still stick with it without our new breaking methods? I do have all the new gadgets now and appreciate every one of them but I am very reluctant in using the E on young hounds because they can set one back and the name of the game is to keep going forward, IMO. I totally understand and respect everyone's response on this thread but I do believe there are quality hounds out there that we can move forward with that are more trash free. This honest opinion and $5 might just get you a cup of coffee. Sorry so lengthy, I slept well last night, LOL. Have a great day.

Old Post 01-23-2019 02:24 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ron you don't hunt walker dogs so you don't know the rest of the story lol. But those ole trashy walkers are winning everything ........... Hmmmmmmmmm.

Tar

Old Post 01-23-2019 02:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ron Moore

I bought an Enlish dog in 1970 or 71, that was a very good coondog, but he would run the hair off a deer. We didn't have many deer in those days and just in certain places were you likely to get after a deer. I loved that dog with the exception of him running deer. Keep him out of deer and he was exceptional at treeing coons , I sold him due to this fault as the shocking collars back then were worthless in these mountains and I could not break him. I have never owned another dog that was as bad on deer and for years now, the deer are thick around here. Dogs today are definitely not as trashy as yesterday's dogs. Dave

Old Post 01-23-2019 03:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Rather they run their mouth or trash until coming across a hot coon, those type hounds win a bunch. I do prefer hounds that are naturally straight or easy to break. Hounds that only open when smelling coon. Competition hunters like the style of hound that win. Coon hunters enjoy hounds that are a pleasure to hunt.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 01-23-2019 05:24 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

I believe genetics has alot to do with "trashyness". I believe the bloodline of dogs I hunt are naturally not trashy. I'm not saying they won't run trash, but if or when they do as a pup or young dog they are easy to break. They are as full of drive as most other dogs I've seen. I also believe the fastest dog don't always tree first, the smartest one will more than not. If you have smart and fast, then you have something special. It burns me up for a dog to run trash and break off and tree coon.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 01-23-2019 05:25 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I break all of mine buuuuuut I like an athlete one than runs faster than the rest of the pack locates faster and has the meat more than the rest !! Because I am a big dummy and the dog has to make up for my mistakes.

Tar

Old Post 01-23-2019 05:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

DMW

X2 on a dog that runs a deer, breaks off and tree a coon, I hate that sucker no matter how much it can win in competition. I won't feed that kind of a dog period, that English dog I described in an earlier post would do just that, leave on a deer and switch over. Coon hunting should be a pleasure, how can one accept that behavior, I just don't understand. One works for money and coonhunts for fun, a man would starve to death coon Hunting for money, I don't care how good the dog is. Dave

Old Post 01-23-2019 08:15 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Most young pups that love to run fast game have the extra gear that a select few are looking for, that some others think they want but maybe cannot handle lol. Nearly every pup with any brains that starts out trashy as all get out once it starts treeing coons nearly breaks itself and requires very little sometimes almost no encouragement to stop on it's own and make very nice Coondogs that are exceptional track dogs. The ones without brains never make the cut and are a non factor in this discussion. As was stated you can take out what is needed but you can't add what wasn't there to begin with. Game desire, track speed along with the ability to run a track, accuracy not just tree power are qualities you will find more often in dogs that were once trashy pups. There is a difference in a trashy pup and a trashy older dog that never figured out what it's purpose was.
You can ask this very same question to a group of 64 in a week and a half and get a completely different answer than 80% of you have gave. The difference they will be hunting for a new truck while some will be still arguing about what will help a blue dog to win the world hunt.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-23-2019 08:50 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerfan
UKC Forum Member

Some like one thing some like another. I don't think there's anyway a dog can tree a coon that I enjoy better than it be screaming through the country with it's head in the wind and fall off on a coon. I enjoy that more than listening to a dog standing on his head bellowing. I have heard of these hard hunting, track driving, accurate, natural straight coon treeing machines, but in 30 years of hunting with nearly every breed. I have never seen one personally. I am sure that there's many out there , not saying there's not by any means. I just have not had the privilege of seeing it myself.

Old Post 01-24-2019 12:55 AM
walkerfan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerfan Click here to Send walkerfan a Private Message Find more posts by walkerfan Add walkerfan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ARCOONHTR
UKC Forum Member

Re: DMW

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Richards
X2 on a dog that runs a deer, breaks off and tree a coon, I hate that sucker no matter how much it can win in competition. I won't feed that kind of a dog period, that English dog I described in an earlier post would do just that, leave on a deer and switch over. Coon hunting should be a pleasure, how can one accept that behavior, I just don't understand. One works for money and coonhunts for fun, a man would starve to death coon Hunting for money, I don't care how good the dog is. Dave [/QUOTE This!!!

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:34 AM
ARCOONHTR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ARCOONHTR Click here to Send ARCOONHTR a Private Message Visit ARCOONHTR's homepage! Find more posts by ARCOONHTR Add ARCOONHTR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I have seen some fast dogs get hung up in lots of hog scent and the early starting dog just come in and figure it out almost as fast as he showed up...this dog was working a cold track before going to the walker dog...

It took me a little while to figure out early starting trash running pups...the worst thing was running deer...these pups were really good locators and stuck with the track so running deer was definitely a problem...

There are 4 things I did and do...

1.I make sure they love the woods and know i want them there...that way at a later date if I need the E collar they know for sure it is not because they are in the woods...I dont ever want them to not understand that... it would be a major setback...

2. They know what game I want...that way if I use the E collar they know it’s because they are running off game...

3.I break them off of deer at home

4. I cast them where I know the desired game leave scent... or I cast them in to a few races to chase and bay or catch the right game...
The 4 steps make it fairly easy to break the pups without major headaches...before I figured this out it ways a chore...I like them fast, quick locators that love to hunt and catch game...

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:36 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jugheadmiller
UKC Forum Member

Just my own opinion it doesnt matter if it is natural straight pup or a trashy pup if you to hunt them it really doesnt matter in the end.

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:37 AM
Jugheadmiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jugheadmiller Click here to Send Jugheadmiller a Private Message Click Here to Email Jugheadmiller Find more posts by Jugheadmiller Add Jugheadmiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Naturally straight coon hunting pups...
What are the reasons or theories?

I will share mine...

I agree with what has been said that it is genetics...but I believe that is only part of it...I also believe in the evolution process that is happening over time...

Breeders breeding and selecting according to traits that they see is a part of the evolution process because selective breeding is in actuality selecting for certain genes...so our hunting dogs are evolving per selective breeding...

There is another thought process...epigenetics...examples below...

The sire being a coon dog that is hunted regularly especially right before breeding..
The female hunted regularly before breeding...especially during pregnancy...

There is lots of research going on about this thought process...it is not new but new to some of us and not known by many...the researchers are scratching the surface on this subject...

I believed in it before I knew this was a science...

Old Post 01-24-2019 03:20 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Most young pups that love to run fast game have the extra gear that a select few are looking for, that some others think they want but maybe cannot handle lol. Nearly every pup with any brains that starts out trashy as all get out once it starts treeing coons nearly breaks itself and requires very little sometimes almost no encouragement to stop on it's own and make very nice Coondogs that are exceptional track dogs. The ones without brains never make the cut and are a non factor in this discussion. As was stated you can take out what is needed but you can't add what wasn't there to begin with. Game desire, track speed along with the ability to run a track, accuracy not just tree power are qualities you will find more often in dogs that were once trashy pups. There is a difference in a trashy pup and a trashy older dog that never figured out what it's purpose was.
You can ask this very same question to a group of 64 in a week and a half and get a completely different answer than 80% of you have gave. The difference they will be hunting for a new truck while some will be still arguing about what will help a blue dog to win the world hunt.

Jen,
There's a bunch of guys that think they know what that special dog is but not many do. I've seen dogs hunt at 18 mph, and run track at 20+mph. He was wild wild Indian. It takes a pretty fast dog to catch a running deer, and saw him catch a couple. He was the unbreakable type on trash. He wasn't fun to hunt by any means. He would bay cows, in barns or in pastures. I thank my buddy on a regular basis for selling him. But I did like his speed, just not everything that came with it.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 01-24-2019 01:46 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

Give me the one that's ready to catch the first thing with hair on it they smell. All I want to know is were they out in front of the rest. I drew Buffalo River Thunder in 1978 ACHA World. He was a good one.

Last edited by David Morgan on 01-24-2019 at 03:15 PM

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:14 PM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have seen 4 deer killed in the more recent years I have been coon hunting 1 of them was in a hunt. I couldn't hardly stop laughing of coarse it wasn't my dog that came carrying that thing back to the cast. It was a big ol walker dog that had it picked up in the middle with the legs dragging and getting tangled in the brush as it worked that full sized doe are way. He only trailed it maybe 200 yards till he caught it. The other 3 was by a young walker that has become a nice fairly straight coonhound since and he still hunts at a steady 8 mph or better. 1 of the deer he brought down was a very nice buck an 8 point if I remember correctly.

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:19 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by David Morgan
Give me that's ready to catch the first thing with hair on it they smell. All I want to know is were they out in front of the rest. I drew Buffalo River Thunder in 1978 ACHA World. He was a good one.

Yes sir Pete knew dogs my dads name was sonny that's why Pete called me Sony kid lol. The guys all down home had the dannyboy X buffalo river queen cross they all were like greased lightning !! Full of heart run in those rice fields all night no hair and eyes swelled shut but kept at it. We used to go up and hunt at ceder creek tx with Billy swan ( swan lake Jill. ) he was legally blind but he knew how to breed track dogs X coon dogs.

Tar

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:29 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I have seen 4 deer killed in the more recent years I have been coon hunting 1 of them was in a hunt. I couldn't hardly stop laughing of coarse it wasn't my dog that came carrying that thing back to the cast. It was a big ol walker dog that had it picked up in the middle with the legs dragging and getting tangled in the brush as it worked that full sized doe are way. He only trailed it maybe 200 yards till he caught it. The other 3 was by a young walker that has become a nice fairly straight coonhound since and he still hunts at a steady 8 mph or better. 1 of the deer he brought down was a very nice buck an 8 point if I remember correctly.

I own a dog now that ran a deer down, killed the deer then finished to NtCh that night, yelp in a 2 hour hunt and that’s what we talking about!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-24-2019 03:27 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Yep, those are the track driving dogs I like.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 01-24-2019 03:39 PM