UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Keeping a dog in a fenced in yard?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Keeping a dog in a fenced in yard?

I was reading the thread on letting a dog run loose and it seems most agree that it’s very important for a dog to run loose. So my question is if I ever get a puppy, is it ok to only let my dog out in a fenced in yard except for when I’m hunting with him? I live in an area where letting a dog run loose isn’t really an option. Will a puppy suffer from not being able to run loose? And how often should I hunt with a puppy to make up for not being able to run loose? Just curious what everyone thinks

Thanks,

Peter

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-20-2019 12:04 AM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If and when you get a puppy any time spent is good no matter how little all you can do is your best with what time and area you have.

Thanks,

Tar

Old Post 01-20-2019 12:25 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

That works well. But the trick is keepind the puppy in the fenced yard. They dig, they climb and they want to go. If you are successful keeping them in. The next challenge is keeping them quiet.

Old Post 01-20-2019 01:19 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

I've got little kids mine stay in the yard unless they let him out to play.

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 01-20-2019 01:27 AM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

For some reason I never had trouble keeping mine in the fenced in yard. They were OK with staying there even though it was just the regular 4 foot high chain link fence but in the woods they would climb woven wire fences after coons.

They seemed to know they were where they belonged. They came up on the back porch and looked in the door at us sometimes.

I had more trouble keeping them in a large 1/2 acre pen after we moved with a 6 foot high fence. They dug out. It was like they were separated from us then and wanted out but as long as they felt like they were part of the yard/house they were OK.

Weird.

Old Post 01-20-2019 01:33 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I know a lot of big time handlers keep their dogs in the motel rooms with them a high percentage of the time. They house break them and take them for walks. Even buy them hamburgers any time is quality time.

Thanks,

Tar

Old Post 01-20-2019 01:37 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Ok thanks for the responses sounds like it’s ok, thanks everyone

Old Post 01-20-2019 02:15 AM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

It’s all in what the dogs get used too, I let mine out to run at day and night without a lead they know it’s just play time at the house. But when they come out the dog box they will knock a hole in the dark. And after the hunt they come out and I say kennel they are straight to the pen.

Old Post 01-20-2019 02:48 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Pups learn absolutely nothing if left in the pen or on the chain. If you are out and about take them for a ride , if you have a fenced yard let them run around if it is where you can watch them. Go fishing take em , go squirrel hunting take them , go check your deer lease or to fill your feeder take them. ETC. JMHO

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 01-20-2019 03:12 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

A fenced in yard would give them more area to play then a kennel would but definitely be best to take the puppy to the woods dome for some exploring time

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 01-20-2019 03:35 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Mr Allen

If I’m fishing and I’m just letting my pup run around near me what happens if he gets on a trail? Is that a large risk when letting a dog loose?

Old Post 01-20-2019 12:47 PM
deercop
UKC Forum Member

Once they start tracking game they need much more supervision than just running loose. Pretty much time to hunt/train them and introduce them to coons.

Old Post 01-20-2019 01:00 PM
deercop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deercop Click here to Send deercop a Private Message Find more posts by deercop Add deercop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Peter does your Family have a house dog or a Family pet?

Old Post 01-20-2019 01:55 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr Allen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peterhunts101
If I’m fishing and I’m just letting my pup run around near me what happens if he gets on a trail? Is that a large risk when letting a dog loose? [/QUOTE

Heck, that's what you are hoping for!
Do you have a tracking collar?

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-20-2019 03:24 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Mr conkey I’m not sure what the difference is we have two dogs they live in the house with us we got a big yard though like an acre so they got room to run. No collar yet JiM, don’t have a tracking collar yet don’t even have a puppy I’m just more curious you know down the road if I get one

Old Post 01-20-2019 05:36 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

Me and ole Tar were discussing Peterhunts and came to the conclusion that you should take him under your wing as a new project. He doesn't live that far from you and is obviously very interested and should make a good student. You could teach him the proper way to take care of a dog and learn the basics of nighthunting. When you get him to the stage where he can call a dog and has memorized the rulebook all you would have to do is furnish him the equipment needed and you could have a good young handler.
No need to thank either of us for the brilliant suggestion since we are both full of good ideas.

Old Post 01-20-2019 07:53 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Appreciate your thoughts Yadkin but I have enough Family and 3 and a half hours isn't around the corner. Peter is in a tough part of the State. His location is stacked against him. I use to live down there and traveled over 60 miles one way just to hunt. I probably was somewhat like Peterhunts as hunting with dogs is what I wanted to do more that anything. I got a few just like Peter is fixing to do but I spent more time on the front porch with them at night talking to them than hunting. Because S Fl doesn't have many places to hunt.

Peter, I asked because a new dog around is going to upset the apple cart. If your new dog outside causes your house dogs to bark, that may not be appreciated for long by your Parents. If you pup outside scratches up the back door trying to get in. That might not be appreciated also. So explaining to you how this is going to work is not beneficial because hundreds have different ideas. We don't end up helping you but arguing about our different ideas.

If I was you. I would build me a secure 8x8 pen and have all the comforts for the pup or young dog in his pen. Let him out to play when your home and lock him up when your can't monitor him. Search on line how to control a dog barking because that will be needed before you are dragging a coon tail around for him.

Wanting dogs is easy. Dreaming about dogs is fun. Caring for a dog that don't drive your parents and neighbors crazy may be a challenge.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-20-2019 at 08:22 PM

Old Post 01-20-2019 08:14 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce partner with him on a dog and let him visit you on weekends.

Tar

Old Post 01-20-2019 08:32 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

That would be cool I’d love that but he is real far from me. My location is pretty bad for coonhunting it’s a lot of subdivisions and not much open areas. Does anyone let their dog live in their house or do most have em as outside dogs? Even if I get an older dog I could still have him either inside or outside, a little pen would be a fun project for me. Parents aren’t too keen of the idea of a third dog Im trying to win em over though.

Old Post 01-20-2019 11:15 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Keep it in

Old Post 01-21-2019 01:43 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Peterhunts let me share how I found a couple good hunting buddies when I was in S. FL where the coon hunters are scarce. Being from the Miami ares I searched the Miami Herald News paper for hound pups for sale. I found some coon hound pups one day when I was around 17 or so. I had some unpapered pups before but these were UKC registered and the guy coon hunted. I bought a pup and made a coon hunting friend for many years. Him being older he helped me go hunting. He had the truck and gas money and I helped when I could but he covered more of the expenses. Which I was truly Thankful. He was going and I think he also enjoyed me going with him.

So start learning all the places you could find someone you may not know about that would have a coon hound pup for sale.

How far is Corbett WMA from you? That place is ruff but might be the closes place to hunt.

I would also start saving some money and search the classified for someone selling one of those 10 x 10 pens. Tractor supply has some 5x10 also that have tarp roofs. Probably find one used cheaper. You could set one up in the yard and later add stepping stones for the floor.

You just got to find that one guy down there that loves to coon hunt. Thats the secret to your success for now.

Old Post 01-21-2019 01:24 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Bruce

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Me and ole Tar were discussing Peterhunts.......since we are both full of good ideas.

Doesn't anybody else not see anything terribly wrong with this? Can't you just imagine Jeffery Daumer and the Son Of Sam sitting around discussing their brilliant ideas. It is no wonder Mr Gingerich doesn't listen to you any more. Y'all are so full of #*it or "brilliant ideas". What do you think Mr Richards?

Old Post 01-21-2019 01:43 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

We take that as a threat y'all should be banned lol !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 01-21-2019 01:50 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If they didn't ban Mr Richards for what he said the other day, they aren't going to ban anyone.

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:03 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ahhhhh live and let live brother we all say stuff we shouldn't.

Tarbaby

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:10 PM