UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Mice in the woods this year?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Todd, you bet we did. My cousins and I ran a pretty decent trapline on foot. I was 14 and they were 12 and 13 respectively. We traded 6 number two under spring Blake and lamb jump traps to a shirt tail cousin for old Lead. LOL. Should have been the first clue.

Fur prices were just starting to move up quite a bit. By 78 when I was 16 and had a car fur trapping and hunting consumed me completely.

In 1979 I believe. I bought a treeing Walker pup from Don Hall off his old Lace bitch and Frank Giddimgs Ring dog. Killed 60 odd coon with him his first kill season and sold him to Frank for $2500 in the spring. Most money I had ever seen at one time.

I believe I lived through the best possible time as far as coon hunting and fur trapping went. Three hour hunts and non hunting judges for a year or two then rolled over to hunting judges. What a hue and cry that caused.

Great memories. Just got in from treeing three singles tonight. Sure enough enjoy these dogs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-13-2019 02:45 AM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

$7 for big possum that was 3x minimum wage you bet we skinned every one lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-13-2019 01:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

I was just a few years to late to appreciate possums. I've trapped and treed more than a few but never skinned or sold one. It's sad really.

Old Post 12-13-2019 02:28 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Really is, a put up possum has quite beautiful, soft fur.. I'm raising one behind the house this year - been feeding my house hawk and crows a coon carcass about every four days and the last couple nights I've seen the oddest looking brown possum out there cleaning up the left overs.. Strangest colored possum i've ever seen, will try and get a pic of him..

Old Post 12-13-2019 08:16 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
Really is, a put up possum has quite beautiful, soft fur.. I'm raising one behind the house this year - been feeding my house hawk and crows a coon carcass about every four days and the last couple nights I've seen the oddest looking brown possum out there cleaning up the left overs.. Strangest colored possum i've ever seen, will try and get a pic of him..
Is he a hybrid? Tar might want him.

Old Post 12-14-2019 03:20 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote