UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Accidental Inbreeding
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I was reading the history of the Santa Gertudis cattle, it said 100% of them go back to 1 single bull named Monkey. So to get a pure bred to manipulate the looks and characteristics of any animal it has a very small gene pool. And I guarantee the people that say they don't line breed if they get a long enough pedigree they will find they actually do. Just think how many Walker dogs have Lipper and Sackett in them several times over and over. And the treeing Walker is a relatively new breed compared to other breeds of dogs just think of how line bred the Saluki hound is which has been bred for 1000s of years.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2020 06:03 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

Re: Accidental Inbreeding

quote:
Originally posted by FLYbyNIGHT
I dont believe in inbreeding but...Yall ever know of an accidental inbreeding that turned out to be good??
Just curious

To answer your question, yes. I know of one out Reezen that came from Reezen getting out of his pen accidently and breeding his own daughter. Even though I have never hunted with him men I trust that have say he's one of the best they have ever been with. Started treeing his own coon at 5 months old and was never hunted with a older dog. Pure natural. Nobody said it has never worked, But when done long enough problems will show up.

Old Post 04-18-2020 08:06 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Reezen himself was inbred as they come

Old Post 04-18-2020 08:29 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: FLYbyNIGHT

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
Google Superior Pointers

Then click on Rambling Thoughts

Then click Wehle on Breeding 1991

Enjoy and it does work for Foxhounds and Coonhounds, the secret is you have to have “good” stock😉😉

Very interesting articles, thanks for directing us to it.

I had an accidental mating between two littermates pups when they were 8 months old. There were three pups and two would strike track and tree there own coon at 6 month.

How do you reproduce a dog of superior performance? If all potential mates are of lesser ability. If all of their littermates are of lesser ability? There ability came from their ancestors. Outcrossing them to a lesser dog of the opposite sex will result in offspring of lesser ability.

I've witnessed this dilemma owners have faced the few times that I have seen an extreme high level of ability. Inbreeding to a mate was the only way that I'ved seen success. Even though the mate was of lesser ability.

Old Post 04-18-2020 08:55 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ken Risley

I think your post was spot on, accurate and to the point. Dave

Old Post 04-18-2020 09:59 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Linebreeding or Outcrossing

The huge majority of crosses that I've seen that didn't turn out well were outcrosses. Does that mean we shouldn't outcross?

To me, outcrossing, linebreeding, or inbreeding isn't of primary relevance. To me, the primary thing would be to determine what natural traits and characteristics that you want in a dog. If you find what you're looking for there, I wouldn't concern myself with whether they are inbred, linebred, or outcrossed.

The best article I ever read on the topic of inbreeding/linebreeding was written by Dr. Braxton Sawyer (written in non-technical terms). If you can find that, I believe you'd find it very informative. I read it in the American Cooner many years ago, and I still remember it!

Old Post 04-19-2020 03:12 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Re: Linebreeding or Outcrossing

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honalieh
[B]The huge majority of crosses that I've seen that didn't turn out well were outcrosses. X10

Old Post 04-19-2020 03:46 AM
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

I SAID IN THE BEGINNING I DIDNT BELIEVE IN THE PRACTICE OF INBREEDING.. WELL....

THESE POSTS HAVE MADE ME LOOK AT IT IN A WHOLE DIFFERENT WAY. USING IT SELECTIVELY AND AT THE RIGHT TIME. COULD BE THE TICKET TO SUCCESS..

I HAVE LEARNED QUITE A BIT JUST FROM THIS POST ..

Old Post 04-19-2020 12:29 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by FLYbyNIGHT
I SAID IN THE BEGINNING I DIDNT BELIEVE IN THE PRACTICE OF INBREEDING.. WELL....

THESE POSTS HAVE MADE ME LOOK AT IT IN A WHOLE DIFFERENT WAY. USING IT SELECTIVELY AND AT THE RIGHT TIME. COULD BE THE TICKET TO SUCCESS..

I HAVE LEARNED QUITE A BIT JUST FROM THIS POST ..

Line breeding and inbreeding are great tools when used correctly...we need to know what a great hunting dog is before starting a breeding program...and we must retain the best pups possible...

We can breed a walker to an English bulldog and breed a female pup from that cross to her walker sire and that breeding is a form of inbreeding...common sense tells us this definitely isn’t what we won’t do...

Let’s say I want to start a solid line of walker dogs...

There is a dog that is as good as any walker that ever lived
and he wins most of the hunts he is entering and is a world champion...his dam is top of the line as well and his sire is above average...the grand sire is well known as well for being a great hunting dog...

So I see this world champion and do my research on him and his pedigree...many are legitimate titled dogs and some are titled but not verified by me...I know titles don’t always mean good dogs but many in the pedigree I know are good dogs...this dog is line bred and inbred with a line of solid dogs....a great foundation...lots of hard work, time and money has gone into developing this dog...

my goal is to select 4 pups from a litter and hopefully end up with two top notch young dogs that will be a pleasure to hunt or even competition hunt one day...

There is a litter of pups for sale and that world champion is the grand sire to this litter, the dam to the pups is out of the world champion and her dam is out of solid walkers that have some of the same blood and mostly another line of top walkers...I see potential and a plan comes to mind...

So I buy two female pups and I see both are pretty nice pups and one has a higher level of natural abilities through my testing and observations...she naturally winded and hunted the first time out the first time tested and continues to do so amongst other things etc...and she proves she is the better of the two pups...

I already know what the foundation pedigree will look like and I can visualize what i probably will have one day...

So I breed the best female back to her grand sire and I observe the pups each day and test them as they grow...

At 10 weeks I cut down to 5 pups...at 16 weeks I cut down to 4 pups...

At 6 months I cut down to three pups...

At 10 months I am down to two pups and if I’m lucky I will keep both...

Some folks will tell you it doesn’t work...it does work when done right...

It doesn’t work if we inbreed using the English bulldog and walker inbreeding mentality I used at the beginning...line breeding and inbreeding the wrong walkers can be the same difference even though we might not think so...

The right foundation is very important but selecting and breeding the right dogs from that foundation is just as important...
In three generations we can improve on that foundation or it can be the beginning of going back to average...

Last edited by Reuben on 04-19-2020 at 05:11 PM

Old Post 04-19-2020 03:38 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

GOOD STUFF REUBEN

MAKES GOOD SENSE

Old Post 04-19-2020 03:58 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rick St.Clair
Now there's a false statement.

X2

Old Post 04-19-2020 11:18 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clovis A Nailor
When in your mind you have created the perfect coondog that's when you breed real tight. A old fox hunter told me one time when you get what you want only a 1 eighth out cross at a time. If course it's alot easier to build a perfect running dog than a tree dog. If you could get 10 coonhunters get behind and support 1 particularly bloodline then you could find out how a bloodline would really produce but that will never happen.

I agree...especially in adding 1/8 or 1/4 at a time when once we have a few generations into it...

I haven’t been around running dogs but it seems it would be easy to find those that can keep up but how could you tell who could drift the track the best back before Garmin?

Old Post 04-20-2020 03:13 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clovis A Nailor
When in your mind you have created the perfect coondog that's when you breed real tight. A old fox hunter told me one time when you get what you want only a 1 eighth out cross at a time. If course it's alot easier to build a perfect running dog than a tree dog. If you could get 10 coonhunters get behind and support 1 particularly bloodline then you could find out how a bloodline would really produce but that will never happen.

I agree...especially in adding 1/8 or 1/4 at a time when once we have a few generations into it...

I haven’t been around running dogs but it seems it would be easy to find those that can keep up but how could you tell who could drift the track the best back before Garmin?

Old Post 04-20-2020 03:13 AM
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Running dogs don't drift a track like a tree dog. Especially a coyote hound he just needs to run at a high rate of speed and hold his game some times a smart hound will try to out guess his game to tighten up that could be called drifting a track but running dog people don't call it that we call it cutting. Some times it can work well but if the hounds misses he's in trouble he has went from 1st to last. Now it's the hounds job to shut his mouth and get back on the lead I don't want to hear him till he's back on front and I don't care how he does it as long as he does it. Garmin don't really help you with running dogs except getting one back. I look at my garmin every minute or 2 coon hunting it never comes out the truck till I'm catching dogs foxhunting.

Old Post 04-20-2020 03:34 AM
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

What ever kind of dog you have or live stock or what ever animal your raising breeding works the same. Your breeding for the traits you desire. That's why inbreeding is critical after you have the desired traits to keep what you want. I use the example of running hounds simply because I would raise 4 to 5 litters a year and keep the majority of them to see what I had going on. With coondogs this would be impossible. With the sheer volume I can manipulate traits in short order. But always remember my perfect dog is not your perfect dog

Old Post 04-20-2020 04:05 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thanks...

Old Post 04-20-2020 04:18 AM
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Superior Bird dogs..

Have read and re-read that several times ---good stuff and he points out that one must be willing to cull the inferior stuff quick..
I know of one line of hounds in the past that produced a number of dogs that bloated eventually he sold the line because they good ones bloated,,, well they were highly inbred that does point out the need to know what recessive traits hidden in the line.and select away from that.. the 1/4-1/8 outcrosses can bring in some of the desired traits but the point made above by needing others to help comes into play..

next thought is how many have the resources to carry out a plan like that?

Old Post 04-20-2020 02:28 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Bullchit

This post was started about a accident in the breeding pen all this long winded Bullchit means nothing Hubs homer was a product of an accidental breeding and he reproduced some .please someone thinkof some others there has to be more .These post show how much we don't know

Old Post 04-20-2020 02:42 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Bullchit

quote:
Originally posted by wart
This post was started about a accident in the breeding pen all this long winded Bullchit means nothing Hubs homer was a product of an accidental breeding and he reproduced some .please someone thinkof some others there has to be more .These post show how much we don't know

I don’t know what breed you hunt but in the walkers in the process of building the all grand pedigree there was no thought about the consequences they did it to sell high dollar pups. That’s why the walkers are the most ridden with more health issues and the worst kennel manners of any other breed. You can’t hardly buy a dog or pup that don’t have those 4000+ pups stud dogs in their pedigree multiple times. If your daddy was your grandpa or great grandpa 4 or 5 times that’s inbreeding and that ain’t no bullchit.

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2020 02:57 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I hunt treeing walkers I owned high country boogie, house's rage, stylish echo he won 15000.00 and 2 state Texas championships in Texas I know all about the all grand stuff, but this post was asking about accidental breeding's .I would like to know if anymore inbreed accidental breeding's ever amounted to anything . We all have opinions about breeding that's for another post

Old Post 04-20-2020 03:45 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I wouldn't Carry a feed bucket to most of those all grand stuff and they were breed on purpose .

Old Post 04-20-2020 03:48 PM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cousin crosses.

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Always regretted afterwards.

Tar

Come on, we are trying to keep this about dogs!!

Old Post 04-22-2020 12:43 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Gr Nt Haye's Rambling Red Ace was an outstanding coonhound and the top reproducer for many years. He was the product of an accidental breeding between a littermate brother/sister. He can be found way back in the pedigree of 40% of the Redbones today.

Old Post 04-22-2020 01:13 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

Do health issues always occur for inbeedings or is it hit and miss..

You always hear those stories of pups with kidney..liver...bone problems ..

Old Post 04-22-2020 01:20 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You always hear stories but does anyone really know?
It only makes sense that if sire and dam have an inherited health problem it will be magnified in their offspring. That is true for any inherited traits and that is why you linebreed/inbreed. But if they don't have health problems that are inherited, they can't pass them on.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-22-2020 at 11:54 PM

Old Post 04-22-2020 03:52 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote