UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question hunting Male Vs Female
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
redbone_gal91
UKC Forum Member

Question hunting Male Vs Female

I’m still relatively new to coon hunting and still learning though I was introduced to it years ago I’ve only somewhat pleasure hunted in what little spare time I’ve had.
I have a litter of pups and debating on keeping one.
Just curious on opinions of hunting a Male vs Female.
I like females personally the ones I’ve had, have more grit to them than the males but I see most competition hunters choose males I’m assuming due to not being able to hunt a female in heat?
**I still don’t know whether I want to train it to coon hunt or blood track deer just because its hard to find private land that allows coon hunting and you can’t run public land in the summer and I was not fortunate enough to have family with money nor land.
**the other concern is the competition hunters seem to be mostly men, is there a reason more women are not competition hunting?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-01-2023 05:22 PM
redbone_gal91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redbone_gal91 Click here to Send redbone_gal91 a Private Message Click Here to Email redbone_gal91 Find more posts by redbone_gal91 Add redbone_gal91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOcoondogs
UKC Forum Member

Males vs females seems to be a preference but we do see the male dogs dominating in the comp hunts. I know that there are pros and cons to hunting either sex so just hunt what you like and have fun. Trying to decided whether to coon hunt or blood trail deer could be an easy compromise. I raised a hound once that was very smart and looked to please me. I coon hunted him and tracked crippled deer with no trashing issues, but you need to have one with that kind of intelligence. As for the men being the majority of the hunters I only assume it's to do with different interest of men and women. However I read a really good article in the BBCHA blue book ( I think it was the 2020 issue) about a women who hunted a lot with her dad as a girl then he finally let her begin comp hunting when she was older. It was made clear that she was a competitor in the field, by winning several hunts and facing many tough elements to compete. The article went on to tell of her becoming a top notch judge that did quite well standing her ground in disagreeable situations.

Old Post 06-01-2023 05:42 PM
MOcoondogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOcoondogs Click here to Send MOcoondogs a Private Message Click Here to Email MOcoondogs Find more posts by MOcoondogs Add MOcoondogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question hunting Male Vs Female

quote:
Originally posted by redbone_gal91
I’m still relatively new to coon hunting and still learning though I was introduced to it years ago I’ve only somewhat pleasure hunted in what little spare time I’ve had.
I have a litter of pups and debating on keeping one.
Just curious on opinions of hunting a Male vs Female.
I like females personally the ones I’ve had, have more grit to them than the males but I see most competition hunters choose males I’m assuming due to not being able to hunt a female in heat?
**I still don’t know whether I want to train it to coon hunt or blood track deer just because its hard to find private land that allows coon hunting and you can’t run public land in the summer and I was not fortunate enough to have family with money nor land.
**the other concern is the competition hunters seem to be mostly men, is there a reason more women are not competition hunting?

as far as females coming in are concerned they only come in 2 times a year,males are in 365 days a year. I think most of the time the females that I have had were easier to get started most not all have not been as hard headed as most males. The females that I have had could stand correction but not a hard correction. And I think they are easier to get to be on a one on one level if that makes since than most males. But that being said I would keep what suited me the most and don't try to over think the decision. It will pan out or it won't but stay with what makes you happy either way . Always easier to try to have a dog that you like up front when it messes up than one you wil always say I wish I had gotten the other one. Been there and still regret the mistake of listening to someone else

Old Post 06-01-2023 07:22 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

Most people like males because they never have to worry about heat cycles. As far as what's the better choice, it depends on the dog. They all have different personalities just like people. Keep what you like and don't worry about what other people think. If it suits your needs and preferences, that's all that matters because you're the one feeding it. You need to take your redbones (I assume that's what you have based on your username) and win some of these big hunts!

Old Post 06-01-2023 08:05 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Go to Houndsman XP podcast

Episode 349

Listen to the comments from a “competition handler” and the type of dog “he” handles.

Find podcasts interviews of the big time handlers and listen close. You will hear all the games that are played, the nights of turning loose and letting the hounds prove themselves who’s best is all gone.

I learnt a long time ago in law enforcement, if you let a criminal talk long enough, they’ll tell you the “whole” story, it’s just human nature 😉👍

Old Post 06-01-2023 10:33 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redbone_gal91
UKC Forum Member

Thank you and it’s definitely a hard decision, my female seems to go further and hunt harder than our male. I was hoping some of that drive bred into her pups.

Old Post 06-02-2023 02:31 PM
redbone_gal91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redbone_gal91 Click here to Send redbone_gal91 a Private Message Click Here to Email redbone_gal91 Find more posts by redbone_gal91 Add redbone_gal91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I’ve always preferred females over males. I feel they start quicker, are less likely to get into a dog fight, easier to break off running trash and overall handle better.

That being said with todays training collars and GPS Tracking systems combined in one unit, the person who understands hounds and is good with the electronic track and train systems can get through to even the hardest headed hounds!!

The females do come into heat a couple times a year so you do loose some hunting time to that. My personal preference has just always been females.

Good luck!

Old Post 06-02-2023 04:51 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote