UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > More than one breed
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

More than one breed

I'm still new to the world of coonhunting. I've been at it for 1.5 years now. I was just wondering do hunters have more than one breed they like to hunt with and belong to more than one association? I'd like to have several different breeds and also contribute to multiple associations. Would that go against the grain?

Thanks for any guidance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-16-2023 11:45 PM
temcka01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for temcka01 Click here to Send temcka01 a Private Message Click Here to Email temcka01 Find more posts by temcka01 Add temcka01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

I'd say the vast majority have a particular bread that they like or stick with, most will tell you it doesn't matter the color or breed as long as they do what there supposed to. Hunt /support what ever makes you happy or keeps you going. Breed/color doesn't matter in the end.

Old Post 05-17-2023 01:46 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

That's what I planned to do. I just wondered if others did hunt with the various breeds. Thank you for replying. I appreciate the input.

Old Post 05-17-2023 01:52 AM
temcka01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for temcka01 Click here to Send temcka01 a Private Message Click Here to Email temcka01 Find more posts by temcka01 Add temcka01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

I agree that most folk stay with one breed. I have had a few that were diffrwnt Brees than what I Normally hunt and a few of them were great little dogs. But everyone I would find a fault that wasn't like what I am used to pushing and I would sell that dog for the breed I find best suits my style

Old Post 05-17-2023 04:57 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

Thanks you for sharing. I don't even have a style really. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. I haven't hunted anything different than what I have here now to see a different style. That makes sense though. Maybe I will find my style.

Old Post 05-17-2023 06:13 PM
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

Yes, that’s not totally uncommon and I’m sure both breed associations would enjoy your support. I join the Walker association and two different Plott associations every year.

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 05-17-2023 08:39 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for sharing. That's good to hear. That is what was on my mind. I appreciate you contributing.

Old Post 05-17-2023 08:43 PM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

For me, the breed just picked me and i enjoyed the people i met within it. Trust me it would be a heck of a lot easier just to hunt the best dog regardless of breed, but i just never enjoyed it as much.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 05-18-2023 01:38 AM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

Hello Ron. Thanks for your perspective. I don't know what the best dog is and I'm not really considering entering the breeding world right now but I'd like to have dogs of multiple breeds. I'm just getting started. The common thread seems to be that I'll find my path so that's what I'm looking forward to.

Old Post 05-18-2023 08:07 PM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by temcka01
Hello Ron. Thanks for your perspective. I don't know what the best dog is and I'm not really considering entering the breeding world right now but I'd like to have dogs of multiple breeds. I'm just getting started. The common thread seems to be that I'll find my path so that's what I'm looking forward to.

The best dog is the one you enjoy hunting and owning. The rest is just gravey. Best of luck to you in your quest. The journey is most of the fun.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 05-19-2023 12:58 AM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I always said I would hunt a pink pok-a-dot dog if he was a good coon treeing dog and I would but there are some breeds I just don't take to as much as others.

Old Post 05-19-2023 07:02 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I hunted 2 breeds of dogs for over 30 years and had some nice dogs, one probably being the best I'll ever own. Now looking back, I wasted a lot of time settling for a little less of a dog just because it was "my breed." I'm now hunting what I used to call an off colored dog and loving it.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 05-19-2023 08:49 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drafts
UKC Forum Member

I would say figuring out what you DONT like in a dog is easier than figuring out what you do like. Certain breeds have certain characteristics that they “typically” carry. I would compare coon dog breeds to church denominations.
Folks join certain denominations because of “traits” in a church they like, but in the end “they are all chasing the same coon”. Hope that makes sense. I’ve owned and hunted with a little bit of everything over the years. It takes time to figure out what you won’t accept in a dog and once you figure that out the rest will follow. I had hounds for years and I now hunt curs and really like them. They fit me best.

Old Post 05-21-2023 02:52 PM
Drafts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drafts Click here to Send Drafts a Private Message Find more posts by Drafts Add Drafts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I do want to sample and see what fits me best. I'm enjoying the journey along the way though. I appreciate this forum and community. I'm learning a lot.

Old Post 05-27-2023 03:27 AM
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

If you end up with a breed of choice, it most likely will find you. Spectating on casts at hunts or pleasure hunting with different people/dogs will give you opportunities to see other breeds. In the end, I believe your breed finds you. Always remember, the only guy that needs to like the dog on a lead, is the one holding the lead.

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 05-27-2023 01:51 PM
Boondok Kennels is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I like competition, grew up competing, and have competited in 3 UKC hunts and enjoyed those as well. I'm not a good enough handler yet but I'll win a cast soon. I love dogs and love this sport ever since i started. I have off work for 3 months and so I'm in the woods about every night trying to get better. I would like to learn more about other breeds and don't want to seem like I'm ignoring the few people that have helped me get my start. I will stay true to myself though. Thanks to everyone who contributed and continue to help along my way.

Old Post 05-28-2023 04:35 AM
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I like competition, grew up competing, and have competited in 3 UKC hunts and enjoyed those as well. I'm not a good enough handler yet but I'll win a cast soon. I love dogs and love this sport ever since i started. I have off work for 3 months and so I'm in the woods about every night trying to get better. I would like to learn more about other breeds and don't want to seem like I'm ignoring the few people that have helped me get my start. I will stay true to myself though. Thanks to everyone who contributed and continue to help along my way.

Old Post 05-28-2023 04:35 AM