UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Skip a feeding?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Skip a feeding?

I was told by a vet years ago that missing a feeding every ten days to two weeks was really beneficial to hounds. Something to do with digestive enzymes or intestinal biotics, or ..?
I think about this from time to time and can almost see the merits. Anybody ever heard this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-03-2020 04:24 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

From everything I have read fasting is very good for people also, but I don't like missing meals. That is how I feel about it for my dogs too. They get the grub every day.

Old Post 12-03-2020 11:40 AM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I don't know. I have a friend that used to feed his hounds every other day. But he fed twice as much every feeding. I never saw the benefit other than not getting out in the rain to feed if it is raining. I'd rather just feed daily. That way, I can monitor the dogs to see if anything is wrong.

Old Post 12-03-2020 12:22 PM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I always feed daily, usually beagles after I run them in the morning, hounds after I hunt them at night. But this guy was adamant that an occasional fasting day was really, really good for gut health. He was a vet and kept bird dogs.

Old Post 12-03-2020 12:53 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Fasting a dog is good for it's immune system., helps in detoxing itself.

Old Post 12-03-2020 01:40 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Thats what pre and probiotics are for. skipping a meal is not good for people or dogs. Just like people being to lazy to feed dogs morning and nite. Flat out LAZY!

Old Post 12-03-2020 01:42 PM
River Birch Run is online now Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

Fasting is good for both you and your dogs if done correctly. Many health benefits. Tons of info vet and health sites.

Romans 10:10

Old Post 12-03-2020 02:01 PM
Mike Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Reynolds Click here to Send Mike Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Reynolds Find more posts by Mike Reynolds Add Mike Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
Thats what pre and probiotics are for. skipping a meal is not good for people or dogs. Just like people being to lazy to feed dogs morning and nite. Flat out LAZY!

WOW.....this is not true .

Being lazy is another topic.

Old Post 12-03-2020 02:11 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

It takes days to do that not just one skipped meal. There are far better healthy ways to do that with natural foods. This is my wheel house I've done years or research on dogs and humans. You don't get abs by just skipping meals LOL.

Old Post 12-03-2020 02:26 PM
River Birch Run is online now Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote