UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Southern Bluetick Kennel
Pages (82): « First ... « 60 61 [62] 63 64 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Scott VH
UKC Forum Member

Re: HUNT

quote:
Originally posted by Darren Hollis
I've been sidelined this week due to my wife being in the hospital with infection after her surgery. Hopefully we get good news today. I am going to try to go tonight. My little girl is wanting to go with me , so it will be a good hunt regardless. Good luck to all Bluetickers this weekend if you are going to a hunt. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

Hope everything goes well with your wife Buddy.
We got sidelined this weekend too with the biggest snowstorm of the year up here. There was a two night BBOA hunt scheduled for this weekend but not going to make it. We are expecting up to 18" of snow and 50 mph winds.

Take Care,
Scott

Floyd's Shine On (GrNiteCh Pink Floyd x GrNiteCh Oklahoma Blue Creek)

Gone but not forgotten:
GrNiteCh Mose's Pink Floyd (GrNiteCh Dean's Blue Mose X GrNiteCh B&D's Blue Ruby) Hollis-VH
GrNiteCh GrCh Bullet II's Code Blue Cricket (GrCh GrNiteCh 'PR' Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X NiteCh Ch JJ's Code Blue Jenny)
Ch GrNiteCh Smokey River Blue Tramp II (GrCh GrNiteCh Smokey River Jean's Blue Tramp X Ch NiteCh Misty River Blue Doll IV)
GrNiteCh GrCh Vining's Hammerhead (Dual Grand Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X Dual Grand Vining Blue Mollie)
GrNiteCh Ch Uchtmans Blue Logan (GrNiteCh Gene's Blue Newton X ChNiteCh Smiley's Blue Lady)
GrNiteCh GrCh Makin' Music Banjo (GrNiteCh Washburn Valley Blue Drip X GrNiteCh GrCh Razor Ridge Unstable Mable)
GrNiteCh. Uncle Pen (GrNiteCh South Shore Drive Blue Kev X GrNiteCh Frosty's Fancy)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-14-2018 03:02 PM
Scott VH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott VH Click here to Send Scott VH a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott VH Find more posts by Scott VH Add Scott VH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

Hunt

Thanks Scott. She is doing better and will not require any surgery.
Jenna Kay and I made a couple drops last night. I’ve got the strep throat and felt sort of bad but had to get the dogs out. We cut Cotton, Belle ,and Sledge loose. Cotton peeled around and and shot behind us and Belle and Sledge went out in front of us down a hollow. Cotton opened a couple times and fell treed. Belle and Sledge crosses in front of us and went to her. Belle backed her and Cotton was on a huge leafy tree that had a lot of vines. I could only see one side of it. I saw the coon look once but could never find him again. I cut off this tree and they were still smelling in the area. I backed out and Cotton loaded up treed. I thought it was same tree and it was the same tree. I got after her tail and she left out of there. She crossed the oil well road and fell treed about 450 yds. Belle and Sledge went to her. We found her coon quickly and I took a chance and we rolled him out to Cotton and Belle but chained Sledge back. He had a fit and I laid a long drag for him. He did a good job on it. We were moving to the next drop but Jenna Kay fell asleep in the truck so I called it a night and fed and put dogs up. Hopefully I’ll be back on schedule next week. Y’all keep’em lookin up.

HOME OF:
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue S&H’s Goose (Sparks&Hollis)
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Cotton
GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd ( Co-Owned with Scott V)
Ch GrNtCh PR Frost Hollow Strap
ChNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Dolly
ChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky ( Hollis & Hollis)
PR Southern Blue Cobb (NtChCh Uchtmans Andy x Ratliffs Blue Tell)
PR Southern Blue Betsy (Goose x Dual Grand Cotton)
(REST IN PEACE)
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Moonshine
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Frostbite
NtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Queen
NtChGrCh PR Blue Eyes Blue Jessie
NtCh PR Southern Frost Hollow Blue Bell(BB)
NtCh PR Southern Blue Hammer
NtCh PR Hollis' Southern Blue Maggie
NtCh PR Hollis' Bull Mtn. Pearl
GrCh PR Southern Blue Jet
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler
GrChGrNtCh PR Lovell’s Smokey River Blue Ann

Old Post 04-14-2018 03:55 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I got my wife home last night from UAB and she is doing good. Hopefully she can get on the road to recovery. My oldest son and his wife are at Jasper today expecting our first grand baby. It is an exciting time. Hopefully I can get back in the woods this week. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 04-17-2018 05:23 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Untitled by Darren Hollis, on Flickr
My daughter , Jenna Kay, and my granddaughter Emerson Claire.

Well I haven't been able to hit the woods this week. My wife is finally at home from hospital and my son and his wife just had our first grandbaby. I am hitting the woods tonight to see if we can get the grease on a limb. I guess I'm ole Paw Paw Hollis now lol!!
Y'all Keep'em Lookin' UP!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Last edited by Darren Hollis on 04-19-2018 at 07:48 PM

Old Post 04-19-2018 07:45 PM
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: HUNT

quote:
Originally posted by Darren Hollis
Untitled by Darren Hollis, on Flickr
My daughter , Jenna Kay, and my granddaughter Emerson Claire.

Well I haven't been able to hit the woods this week. My wife is finally at home from hospital and my son and his wife just had our first grandbaby. I am hitting the woods tonight to see if we can get the grease on a limb. I guess I'm ole Paw Paw Hollis now lol!!
Y'all Keep'em Lookin' UP!!

Congratulations Darren!

Nothin like em! I’ve got 4 of those little buggers, and 1 more will be here within a couple weeks! Still hard to wrap my mind around my kids having kids. Wasn’t so long ago when my kids were young

That time will get away from a feller!

Enjoy that new grand baby!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 04-20-2018 12:29 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

PAW PAW

One of the Greatest feelings I've ever had is Becoming Paw Paw, Congrats on you making it. Glad to hear your wife is Home also. Things are Looking Up for you and your Family. Enjoy every second with that Grandbaby. Take Care and Good Hunting!

Old Post 04-20-2018 12:51 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

VIC and STEVE, thanks guys it is an exciting time. I think it will help my wife cope with all that she is going through.

I got a chance to hunt last night and went by myself. It felt really good to be out there, just me and a bluetick hound. First drop I cut Belle and Sledge loose down a small creek that has good hardwood hills on each side and it opens up into a swampy bottom. Belle shot down the creek and Sledge went left up the hill. Sledge went about 125yds and turned and came by me. He crossed a the old pipeline and went up the creek. Belle went 350 and crossed an oil well road. Sledge ended up coming in to the truck and I loaded him up. Belle never got struck and finally came in as well. Next drop I cut Cotton alone in a rough swamp bottom. She left hard and soon struck in at about 500yds. She was left handed so eased around the field to hear better. She was working a rough track and there is lots of water in tha area she was trailing. She soon had moved another 450yds so I drove around to a small field road and got to within 200yds of her. She soon located and rolled it over into that chop. I made my way to her and she was treed up a leafy tree that ran into a big ole swamp cypress tree. The coon was sitting in the cypress and I petted Cotton on the head and headed to the truck. I had plans to cut Sledge and Belle again but my truck started making a bad popping noise in the front end. I eased it on home and called it a night. After inspecting my truck , I think the 4x4 hub is going bad. If it wasn't for bad luck.......well y'all know how it goes!!!
Y'all Keep'em lookin' Up!!!!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Last edited by Darren Hollis on 04-20-2018 at 02:07 PM

Old Post 04-20-2018 01:43 PM
btg
UKC Forum Member

Just look at those two cuties. Congrats on the new grand baby. Hope things keep looking up. Well except for the truck of course.

Old Post 04-20-2018 05:20 PM
btg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for btg Click here to Send btg a Private Message Click Here to Email btg Find more posts by btg Add btg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake and I hunted a little while Monday night. Hopefully things will get settled and I can get back on schedule. We cut Dolly and Belle the first drop. Both dogs hunted really good but went thru the section and never struck. We drove around and Dolly had come out on a gravel road and we caught her up. Belle had hit a logging road and crossed into the bottom. We moved around and cut Cotton and Sledge down a big hollow. Cotton left hard and went down the hollow on a small creek. Sledge went left but ended up coming out on the road. I just let him do his thing and he was in and out. He wants to be independent and I filled up some feeders to see if I can get him on some hotter tracks. Cotton crossed out of the hollow 800 yds and went into the bottom. I didn't turn loose in the bottom because it was flooded out. I loaded Sledge up and moved to the bottom and Belle and Cotton both were there. Cotton struck and started a track but she was struggling with it. Belle had moved around the field in the edge of the bottom and soon fell treed. She didn't sound right and I made my way to her. She acted funny when I got to her and I soon spotted a big ole possum. I leashed her up and scolded her and we made our way to the truck. Cotton was treed when I got to the truck. She had a hard time with the track and I saw why as I made my way to the tree. The bottom was completely flooded out. Cotton was up a large tree that grew into 2 more large trees and I never could get him to look. We called it a night and will try our luck tonight. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 04-25-2018 01:59 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake and I hunted last night for a while. First drop we cut Cotton and Belle down a hardwood hollow. They went about 550 yds and Cotton fell treed with Belle backing her. We got to the tree and they were around an old slough and I found the coon pretty quick. Next drop I cut Dolly and Sledge loose down an old road leading into a big hardwood hollow. Belle struck a bad track pretty quick. Sledge was in with her but never opened. Sledge went about 150 yds left of Dolly and circled back in to us. I let him do his thing for awhile. Dolly got over 1/2 a mile from us. I loaded Sledge and we drove around. A couple guys I know were hunting on a club and Dolly ended up with their female. I loaded her up and it started pouring rain so we called it a night. Y'all Keep'em lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 04-26-2018 01:06 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake and I hunted last night. First drop we cut Belle and Sledge loose down a ditch that had some water standing in it. They went a short distance and cut out of the ditch into some good hardwoods. Belle went about 250 yds and made a circle and crossed a logging road. Sledge ended up coming up the logging road to the truck. Belle was hunting in a big hollow but had not opened. We move about 400 yds down the logging road and cut Cotton, Sledge and Drakes pup loose. We cut them towards a ditch that runs down a good hardwood hollow. Cotton went about 300 yds and just fell treed. We got to her and soon found her coon. Neither of the young dogs acted like they could smell it. We cut them off that tree and Cotton made a circle and went up on the side of the hill about another 400 yds and just fell treed again. We made our way to the tree and she was on a small oak that ran into a big cedar tree. She had the coon and Drakes pup and Sledge came into the tree. We leashed them up and Drakes pup treed on it some. Belle was about 850 yds down in a large hollow and we drove closer to her around the logging road. I got within 200 yds of her and she came up an old 4 wheeler trail to the truck. We called it a night. Hopefully things are settling down and my wife is on her way to recovery and I can really put some pressure on these young dogs. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-01-2018 12:54 PM
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

Congrats on the grandbaby! God is good

Southern Thunder Bluetick Kennels

At Stud: GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S BLUE WHIP
PERFORMANCE SIRE $300 STUD FEE

HOME OF: GRNITECH GRCH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX
2015 TRIPLE CROWN CHAMPION
2015 PURINA RACE BREED CHAMPION
2015 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITECH BLUETICK
2015 AUTUMN OAKS GRAND 16
2015 AUTUMN OAKS BBOA / BBCHA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 WINTER CLASSIC DOUBLE CAST WINNER PURINA POINTS EVENT
2015 WINTER CLASSIC BBOA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 ARKANSAS STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 MISSOURI STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 KENTUCKY STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 INDIANA STATE PURINA CONTEDER CAST WINNER
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA TEXAS STATE CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA / WESTERN ENGLISH SHOOTOUT DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UNITED ENGLISH ARKANSAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE OVERALL CHAMPION
2015 BBOA YOUTH NATIONALS CAST WINNER 2ND OVERALL HIGH SCORE
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 HOUND OF THE YEAR
2015 BBOA/BBCHA GRAND REUNION RQE 1ST PLACE IOWA
2015 BBOA NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS INVITATIONAL CAST WINNER / 1ST RUNNER UP
2015 ELBERT VAUGHN MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BILL JACKSON MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BOOMER SOONER CLASSIC CHAMPION
2015 WESTERN ENGLISH SPRING CLASSIS CAST WINNER
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP CAST WINNER
2015 BLUETICK CHALLENGE CHAMPION
2015 BBOA OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UKC WORLD HUNT CAST WINNER
2016 PURINA NATIONALS CAST WINNER / BREED CHAMPION / HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
5 Time World Qualifier and 3 Peat Zone Champion
Too many wins to list them all
2020 Performance Sire at Stud
GRCH GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX

Thanks to everyone who has breed to Crocket or is hunting one of his offspring

Old Post 05-01-2018 01:56 PM
southernthunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southernthunder Click here to Send southernthunder a Private Message Find more posts by southernthunder Add southernthunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks Eddie, I appreciate it buddy!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-01-2018 09:07 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake and I hunted last night for a little while. First drop we cut Cotton, Dolly and Nails. Dolly struck and started working a track at about 150 yds. She worked back to us and treed in the edge of a field. We made our way to her and she was on leaning tree. It was pretty rough shining the tree and it ran into several trees. We didn't see the coon. Cotton struck at 650 yds as we were shining the tree and we cut Dolly and Nails to her. Cotton worked a bad track and soon loaded up treed at the edge of a pasture. We drove within 150 yds of the and Dolly had backed her. Cotton was on a huge oak tree and Nails came in and loaded up on the tree. He is 9 months old and has had limited hunting so I was pleasantly surprised. Cotton had a coon and I petted them up and we moved. We cut Cotton, Nails and Belle on next drop. Cotton opened at about 300yds and fell treed. Belle backed her and we made our way to the tree. Nails was there but was milling around. We soon spotted the coon at the very top of the bay tree. Nails came in and started treeing some on the tree. We petted them up and called it a night. We have a mini slam Friday night. We are hunting Cotton and Belle and will see what we can get done. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-03-2018 01:45 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I hunted Belle in a mini-slam on Friday night. We didn't do too good. We had a 4 dog cast and first drop Belle and a walker dog treed and left. We both drew minus and they moved about 100 yds and treed again. We couldn't get him to look. We were leash locked and had to go to a blue gyps tree. Circled it up and the English gyp treed and we found her coon. That was the only coon we saw and English gyp won the cast. We will try again. Going to hit the woods tonight and continue tuning on these ole hounds. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Last edited by Darren Hollis on 05-07-2018 at 01:37 PM

Old Post 05-07-2018 01:28 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I hunted by myself last night for a while. I didn't get to go til around 9 because my wife had a meeting. First drop I cut Cotton and a pup. Cotton struck quick and the pup opened with her some. She soon treed and Nails treed with her. He was milling some when I got there but blowed back up on the tree. They were on a bay tree that ran into a huge turkey pine and I couldn't see the tree very well. Next drop I cut Belle and Dolly in a rough little bottom. Dolly struck and started working a track. Belle is tight on the ground but did open a few times here and there. They worked the track about 300yds and Belle located and Dolly located right with her. They did a good job treeing and I soon found their coon up a big oak tree. I petted them up good. Next drop I cut Cotton and Belle in a small creek bottom. Cotton soon struck and started a bad track. They make their way about 400 yds and Cotton loaded up followed by Belle pretty quick. I got in some rough stuff but soon got the tree but it was another huge tree that I really couldn't see well. I finally backed out into a small opening and they had their coon. It was about midnight so I called it a night. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' UP!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-09-2018 01:39 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake and I hunted last night. First drop we cut Belle and Sledge loose in a good little bottom. Both dogs hunted out good. They went about 275 yds and Belle loaded up treed on a den tree. Sledge came in to the tree and I leashed him up. We moved and cut Cotton and Nails down a small branch headed to a creek bottom. Nails struck something and bumped around on it but Cotton never opened and soon struck at 450yds. Nails went to her and started opening good on the track. They swam across yellow creek and hit a cutover. Cotton gave me a halfhearted locate in the cutover but hushed and moved on back towards some standing timber. She soon let out her dying bawl and rolled over into her chop. I made my way there and Nails was there but didn't tree much on it. I backed out in the cutover and soon found her coon looking with both eyes. We moved and cut Dolly and Sledge loose in a rough little creek bottom. Dolly went left for about 250 yds and made her way back around and came out to the truck. Sledge was still hunting and I loaded up Dolly and cut Cotton in the bottom. Cotton went 450yds and turned up the creek. She soon struck at about 600 yds and ran a track about 200 yds more and loaded up treed. Sledge was in there with her but had not opened. We made our way in to the tree and Cotton was treed across the creek in a swamp. I soon spotted the coon and I petted her up and we called it a night. Gone hit it again tonight. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-11-2018 01:36 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

hunt

I went over to Steele Friday night and hunted with my good friend Terry Tibbs. Terry hunt his Moon female out of his Razor male I raised and his Blazer male out of Jaggs. I hunted Belle and Dolly. First drop we cut Belle and Moon. Moon went right and Belle left. Moon struck and opened a few times but came back by us. Belle blowed thru the bottom and was 650 yds. I heard her locate and tree but didn’t sound right. I made my way to her and Moon came by me headed to her. Belle hushed and finally barked a few more times. I got to her and she was up a big oak. I backed up and soon spotted a possum in a small tree next to the big oak. She had tried to be slick and move over. Next drop we cut Dolly and Blazer. Dolly struck at about 250yds. Blazer soon opened with her and they worked a track down the bottom. Both dogs blew up on a tree and locked down. We got to the tree and I soon found their coon. We cut off that tree and dogs got deep. They were bumping on a bad track and soon halfheartedly treed. We didn’t see the coon and I think it was slick. We sent them on and they got deep. We moved around and caught them up. Coons didn’t seem to stir well and we called it a night. I always enjoy hunting with Terry. He would sell his Blazer dog if someone was looking for a nice male. Big Bluetick mouth, big good looking dog. He is a clean treedog and hunts good. I think he is 6 yrs old. I liked what I saw out of him.Gone hit it Monday night and keep on them!! Y’all keep’em lookin up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-14-2018 01:37 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I hunted by myself last night and it was miserably hot. I sprayed down with deep woods off and that stuff burns me up as well. First drop I cut Cotton and Nails down a ditch with a little water standing in it. Cotton struck in at about 300yds and Nails opened with her. Cotton worked towards Luxapililla creek and crossed it. She treed just on the other side and I made my way to her. Nails was still down in the creek where he could smell the coon better and didn't tree too well. I soon spotted the coon while standing in the creek. I petted Cotton up and led her down the creek. I cut her into a drain running out of the bottom into the creek and she struck pretty quick. She worked a track about 300yds into the bottom and nails didn't open much. She soon loaded up treed and I made my way to her. Nails was to her left still bumping around on the track so I just let him do his thing. I could barely see the tree but bent over some small saplings and got a spot I could see some of the tree. While I was trying to find Cotton's coon , Nails loaded up on a tree to the right. I walked over about 25yds and leashed him up. When I came back to Cotton I spotted her coon but could only get him to look the one time. I went to Nails' tree and he was up a huge poplar. I could only see a small portion of the tree and couldn't find the coon. I walked the dogs to the creek and cooled them off. I moved to a new location and I cut Dolly and Belle up a small bottom. Dolly went about 125yds and fell treed. Belle came in and backed her about the time I got to the tree. It was a huge den tree. I looked but figure it was a sow with her kittens. I cut them off that tree and Dolly struck a bad track and started working up the bottom. She left the bottom and made her way about 400yds up in the hills. She loaded up treed followed closely by Belle. They were up a big water oak in the edge of a cutover. I finally got where I could see and they had their coon but he wasn't looking much. I made my way to the truck and it was 11:50 so I called it a night. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Last edited by Darren Hollis on 05-15-2018 at 01:50 PM

Old Post 05-15-2018 01:46 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake hunted with me last night for a little while and it was a terrible hunt. First drop we cut Dolly and Sledge up a small oak flat. I had treed 2 coons there Monday night and left both up. Sledge has been acting a lot better and hunting out better. He hunted really good last night but him nor Dolly could get anything going. We finally caught them up and moved to a different spot. We cut Cotton, Nails and Sledge up a swampy creek bottom. Nails struck and Sledge opened with him. Cotton opened about 75 yds up the bottom and all 3 got together. I heard the best race I have heard in a long time. They were putting the pressure on that coon. Cotton was chopping on track and she only does that if she is about to catch him. Sledge and Nails were both doing a good job as well. Cotton started treeing but never gave me a locate. Sledge and Nails were there as well. We made our way to them and they were in an underground spring. The coon ran in the spring! I sure did need that one to go up a tree. Cotton got out of there when I got there and struck again up the bottom. It was a terrible track but she finally got treed. She was up a medium sized tree but it ran into 2 more huge trees. We couldn't find him and called it a night. Raining today so we will hit it tonight and see what we can get done. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-17-2018 02:04 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake and I hunted last night. I caught a coon at the house so we took our 2 young dogs, Sledge and Nails. Both got really fired up on the coon and we leashed them back and turned it across a grown up field. After about 10 minutes we cut them loose and both still wanted to bark at the livetrap. I finally convinced them the coon was gone and they left out and picked up the trail. They made a big circle in the field and hit the woodline. Both dogs kept locating around but couldn't seem to find the right tree. Sledge and Nails both were walking on their back legs locating and winding but just couldn't figure it out. Nails finally got over into the woods and located and treed some but moved before I could get there. It fell apart on them and I got Belle out and cut her loose. She never opened on the coon and shot the other way to the bottom!! Well this hasn't went as planned!! I got Cotton out of the box and collared her up. She was winding as I was communicating with the collar. I cut her and in about 5 minutes she fell treed where Nails had treed and left. Both young dogs came in and I leashed Cotton back and worked with Sledge and Nails. I backed out and soon found the coon. I rolled it out to them and let them get a good taste. We leashed them up and I laid a long drag and rubbed the coon on a tree then hid the coon. Nails was the first to find the tree and loaded up. Sledge came in and checked the tree and let out a big locate and started treeing. He was very focused and really lit it up. Classy style tree dog. Sledge has had some sort of setback and I really haven't figured out what has happened to him but he has hunted a lot better and is opening on track and tree some. He is very independent and could be special if he could get it all put together. Hopefully he can continue to progress and I can get him in the right situations to help him. Belle was still in the bottom and had came to the edge of the field. I caught her up and we moved. I cut Cotton and Sledge loose in a rough little bottom. Cotton struck at about 200yds and started a bad track. Sledge opened to the left and was opening here and there. Cotton moved to the left about 200 yds more and loaded up treed. We got to her and I soon spotted her coon. Sledge came in but couldn't seem to smell the coon. I also don't think he wants to back another dog at all. Time will tell. We called it a night and plan on making a long night of hunting Saturday night!! Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Last edited by Darren Hollis on 05-18-2018 at 01:52 PM

Old Post 05-18-2018 01:30 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

BLUETICK DAYS

GOOD LUCK TO ALL BLUETICKERS HUNTING AT BLUETICK DAYS!! HOPE Y'ALL HAVE A GREAT TIME AND HUNT!! WISH I WAS THERE!!
DARREN

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-18-2018 02:02 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake and I hunted Saturday night. First drop we cut Dolly and Drakes pup Tank up a small creek bottom. Dolly struck in at about 200yds and worked a good track up into the hills. Tank was with her but wasn't opening. He is going to be a late starter and don't think he will make it here. Dolly soon treed and we made our way to her. She was up a big poplar and I finally beat on the tree and she had the coon. Next drop we cut Cotton and Sledge in a rough bottom that had a lot of water standing from all the rain we have had lately. Cotton struck a bad track and moved it down the bottom. Sledge soon started opening with her. They got to a spot where there was really a lot of water and hung up a little while. Cotton hushed and soon opened on the other side of the that swamp. Sledge soon made his way to her. She started covering ground quicker and soon loaded up treed. We waded and pick our way around the water and got to the tree. We soon spotted the coon and it was really moving around in the tree. Sledge came in to the tree so we shook vines and squalled the coon out to him. He ran the hair off that coon but soon got quiet. I made my way in to where he was and he came to me. He had gotten in a deep ditch and I think the coon went in the ground. He had located a couple times but sounded funny. We made our way out to the truck and moved. We cut Sledge and Dolly in a rough little bottom. Dolly went left and Sledge right. Sledge struck and Dolly went to him. They ran a short track and split up. Dolly loaded up treed and Sledge was checking trees. Dolly had a coon and I walked in to Sledge and he was checking trees but couldn't settle. It was 1:30 am and we called it a night. We will get after them again tonight. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-21-2018 01:43 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I hunted by myself last night. First drop I cut Cotton and Nails up a drainage ditch. Cotton struck at about 200yds and started working a track. Nails soon put in with her and started opening. They worked in about 250yds and loaded up treed. Nails was off the tree milling when I got there and Cotton was up a medium sized tree that ran into a large den tree. I couldn't get him to look and he was probly in the den. Nails hasn't tightened up on the tree and I've got to work more on him. Next drop I cut Sledge alone up a small creek bottom. I have a feeder there for the young dogs. Sledge hunted out about 200yds but never struck. He ended up coming up a 4 wheeler trail to the road and I caught him up. Next drop I cut Cotton and Nails up a small branch leading into some hardwood hills. Nails struck something and was bawling around but Cotton never opened and soon struck at 250yds up the branch. She worked another 200yds and loaded up treed right. I got to her and it was a big den. I looked but didn't see him on the outside. Nails met me on the way out to the truck. Next drop I cut Sledge and Belle up an old road headed to the bottom. They took a left hand turn and soon were 8/10's of a mile. I drove around and Sledge was cold trailing in a good hardwood hollow with a small creek running at the bottom. Belle was with him but she is tight and wasn't opening. Sledge sounded really good working the track and did a good job until it got into the edge of a cutover. It seemed to fall apart and they just couldn't get it going. I pulled around to get closer and Belle came out on the old road. I caught her up and waited on sledge to see I he could get treed. He ended up coming out on the road and I caught him up as it was 12:15 am and 5:30 comes quick!! I got dogs put up and fed and showered and it was 1:00 am. Gone be a fun day today!! Y'all Keep'em Lookin' UP!!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-22-2018 02:12 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake and I hunted Wednesday night and it was as bad as I have had in awhile. First drop we cut Dolly and Nails up a small creek bottom. Dolly struck in at about 200yds and started a track. Nails soon opened with her and it wasn't a great track. They moved it out good for about 300yds or so and Dolly set up a tree but didn't stick it. That was the story for the next 45 minutes!! Move just a little bit on track set up and tree for a minute then move on down the branch?? I was ready to kill her. I drove around to get closer and she came out to the truck followed shortly by nails. We loaded up and moved. I had permission to hunt a new spot so we cut Cotton and Sledge down a big hardwood hollow that leads to a small creek bottom. Cotton struck in at about 350yds followed by Sledge. They worked a track for about 500yds pretty quickly but soon slowed down. They got in behind 2 houses and house dogs were raising sand. I heard the owners shout at them a few times lol. Cotton and Sledge both kept locating trees but would not stick and would move a little further. It was around 11:00 pm and Sledge was getting close to the backyard of one of the houses and I decided to ease in and catch them up. We called it a night and did not tree a coon. Cotton is due in heat so I've been checking her and she was dripping blood yesterday. She will be on the sideline for a few weeks. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 05-25-2018 12:44 PM