UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Gray's Creek Kennel
Pages (16): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Gray's Creek Kennel

I want to start a thread to cover the progression of these two pups, all the good, all the bad, however it come. Born on March 20th., the male pup is Gray’s Creek Blueduck, and the little female is Gray’s Creek Case’s Hope. They are off of NiteCh. Gayle’s Gray’s Creek Case, and Claude Smith's Sadie female. Case is out of Grnite Ch Rodger’s Blue Gus. This is the first litter off of Case, so our hopes are high, so as the name for the little female, is Hope. I’m a “Lonesome Dove”fan, so that’s where I got the name Blueduck. Below is a picture of Blueduck and Hope, their first day at their new home. Everything was all new to them and at the end of the day, they were completely wore out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-14-2015 07:27 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Blueduck and Hope

Old Post 07-14-2015 07:30 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Blueduck
Hope

Old Post 07-14-2015 07:32 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Oh you know you got to watch them Blue Dog, they can get rough.

Old Post 07-14-2015 07:35 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

BLUE PUPS

Great looking pups!! I like all the pictures but the first one is my favorite. Good luck with them and I will be looking forward to the updates. Take Care and Good Hunting!

Old Post 07-14-2015 09:02 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Update

Showed Ole Blueduck and Little Hope a cage coon. To say I wasn’t a little disappointed would be a lie. Blueduck barked at it a little, but Hope never said a word. They are 4 months old but I thought they should have gotten a little excited. Well I hate keeping a coon in prison, so turned him loose. Rhett, my son was holding the pups and I turned him out. Blueduck wasn’t looking, but Little Hope saw the coon run off. Rhett cut them loose and Little Hope trailed him all the way to the tree. She didn’t tree him, but she sure was looking for him. Blueduck finally smelled the trail and started looking also. I showed them the tree and they both put their front feet on the tree and smell as high as they could reach. Neither barked, and it wasn’t long till they were playing again. I’ll give them a little more time and try again.

Old Post 08-03-2015 01:39 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Update

Took Ole Blueduck and Lil Hope for a walk yesterday evening after the rain. It had cooled off, so I thought I would let them run around some. When I hit the edge of the woods I stopped and let them run around and play. They didn’t go far before they found a trail of some sort. They would try to trail it, and then off they would go playing. They would come back and try to work it again, and off playing again. Had an Ironwood with a big oak limb that was leaning from the ground to the first fork, right where they were working the trail. They both would smell up as high as they could on this limb. They did this 3 or 4 times. At one point a Cat Squirrel ran out of the Ironwood and jumped to a Big Oak. So I grab a low limb and started shacking it trying to get them excited. Blueduck was the first to start barking, and lil Hope covered him. They treed for a minute or so and I pet them up really good to let them know how pleaed I was, and then headed back to the house. I was really pleased with them. I think it’s time to catch another coon!

Old Post 08-17-2015 04:16 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 08-18-2015 07:00 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 08-18-2015 07:02 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

CASE

Congrats on the wins and King of Hunt Both times with Case! Good looking hound with a great pedigree. Those pups sure have grown up quick. Good looking suckers.

Old Post 08-18-2015 07:47 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

To say I'm on cloud 9 would be an understatement. We showed the puppies a coon this morning. I had Claude Smith's litter mate Dixie this morning also. This little female has a huge mouth and hate a coon. Blueduck and Hope barked a little but that was it. We layed trail and hung the coon up a big oak. I turned the pups out and off they went. Dixie was opening on the trail, but the others didn't. Hope found the tree but never barked. I'll post a video of Dixie treeing tomorrow. I had Rhett take the pups away, and I turned the coon out. The pups hit the trail with Dixie opening really good. Next Hope started, then ole Blueduck. I was really please to here them two opening. After about 200 yards they couldn't tell where he went. I told Rhett to go get Case to tree the coon. Before Rhett and Case got back, Ole Blueduck locked down treed. I video him and will post it tomorrow.

Old Post 08-30-2015 05:50 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

This is Dixie treeing on the caged coon before I turned him out.

Old Post 08-31-2015 03:40 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

The amazing thing is, he would hardly bark at a cage coon. Wanted very little to do with it. When I turned it out, he opened good on the track and treed it.

Old Post 08-31-2015 04:54 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

PUPS

They sound and look great Tommy! You will have fun with those to this fall and winter. Good luck with them and keep us updated.

Old Post 08-31-2015 06:23 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the kind words Steve. Really looking forward to this winter.
Have you heard any word on getting the puppies down from NC. I talked to Sleepy the other day, he said he will be at the Zone in Tenn and could bring them from there if someone got them to him at the zone.

Old Post 08-31-2015 06:37 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

9/1/15

We turned another coon loose last night. The three puppies did a great job on the track. He went about 150 yards and treed up a big tupelo gum. Dixie was the first one to tree with little Hope right behind her. This was the first time for Dixie and Hope to tree on a turn out. They both left the tree before I could reach them, but Rhett watched the whole thing. Dixie came back several times and treed. She would actually tree on 3 different trees in about a 15 yard area. Blueduck never barked up the tree. He would get up on the tree but never barked. Rhett was taking the puppies back up to the house while I went around the edge of the swamp to pick up the cage. On the way back to the house Blueduck separated from the rest and headed back to the woods and treed about 40 yeards from the edge of the swamp. He left the tree after a minute or two. As hard as I tried, I just wasn’t able to reach him in time to see what tree he was on. After a little bit, I continued on up to the house. Blueduck came out about 15 minutes later, and we called it a night.

Old Post 09-02-2015 02:49 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Blueduck

I have been keeping a shocking collar on Gus, my older dog and Blueduck since I have move them here behind my house to keep them form barking. Trying to keep the peace with the new folks that moved behind me. Will at 1:00AM friday morning, Blueduck was going crazy. Sounded like he was treeing. I got up and went to check on him, sure enough, he was on the fence barking his head off. I looked up the Gum behind the pin and sure enough, there was a coon. Glad I didn't shock him this time. Took both out the pin and let the spend the rest of the night in the dog box i my truck. It happened again last night so I brought them back to Rhett's house. Got a trap set now hoping for the best.

Old Post 09-08-2015 12:20 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

ZERO X FANNIE PUPS

Casey is picking them up the weekend of the 18th and we can get them from him. He lives 2 hours east of Pensacola. I will go get them the day after he gets home if I'm not tied up at work. For sure within a couple days of him getting home.

Old Post 09-08-2015 01:59 AM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

6 months old Sept. 20th.

We turned another coon out last night for the puppies. This was a big old coon so we took Case to give them some help. I cut the coon loose and about 5 mins later Rhett cut the pups. About 50 yards in the swamp behinds Rhett’s house is an oxbow off of the Amite River. I guess the coon not living around there didn’t know which way to go, so he swam it. The pups ran him to the edge and after a few mins, they swam it also. Rhett cut Case loose and off he went. After crossing the slough, the track broke down. Case was having a hard time with the puppies running around crazy. Little Hope picked up the trail about 75 yards north and was moving it good by the time Case and Blueduck got to her. Rhett said take your time , but I’m going to catch up to them. They had gone another 150-200 yards when I heard Blueduck treeing or at least it sounded like he was treeing. A couple of mins later, Case located and locked down treed. When I made it to the tree, Blueduck was going crazy barking up in the air. Hope was still trying to find where the trail went. We got her to the tree and she treed a little. Rhett knocked this one out to them and they had their first taste of a fresh one. I was really pleased with the way the preformed. I would like to see Hope do better on the tree, but that will come. She is going to be a track driving dog I think. They will be 6 months old Sept. 20th.

Old Post 09-14-2015 02:58 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

I'm headed to Colorado Thursday morning. Got a lot of packing to do, so I wont be taking the puppies out for the next week and half. I'm having torn feelings about this. These pups have me so excited, that's all I,m thinking about.

Old Post 09-15-2015 03:08 AM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Last week while I was gone, Rhett turned Blueduck and little Hope out behind his house. The high light of this night was them treeing a possum.

Got back from my Elk hunt Saturday evening, and couldn’t wait to get Blueduck back to the woods. I took him to Gumswamp for the first time, last night with Case. We dropped Blueduck and Case on Wall Bayou. Case left out like a shot and Blueduck tried to follow, but returned to the road after about 50 yards. I was a little disappointed that he didn’t follow, but for a 6 month old pup, Oh well. A few seconds later, Case struck a red hot track, and Blueduck headed back to him. Case was rolling it good when Blueduck started opening. They ran that coon ¼ mile before Case treed him. He had treed on a gum that went up into a huge pine. It was hard to shine both trees and if he was there we couldn’t find him. Blueduck only barked up a few times, but man, he did good on the track. I think I’ll bring him again Wed night. I got high hopes for this pup.

We pulled up to Rhett’s house after the hunt only to find Dixie had got out the pen and was treeing about 100 yards from the house. She was really blowing the top out. We made it to the tree only to find another possum. Maybe we can make it to the world hunt one day. Just joking fellows, I really don’t have that much of a problem with puppies treeing them. I don’t like it, and I’ll break them soon enough.

Old Post 09-29-2015 09:47 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Took Blueduck to Gumswamp last night again with case. Monday night I put corn in a feeder to beable to put him on a hot, easy coon. Sure enough a coon was on the feeder when we got there. They left out rolling him hard. The track broke down for a minute or two about 300 yards to the north, but they got back on him hot. The coon made a little loop in the cutover and headed south, straight back to us. When the dogs were about 150-200 yards out, we heard him at the roads edge. I put my light on to see him cross the road, but the next time we heard him, he was on the opposite side headed for the thick stuff. The dog gone coon went through a covert under the road. Case hit the road first and never checked up . Ole Blueduck got quiet when he got to the roads edge. Next thing we know Blueduck pops his head out the covert on the other side of the road and was off again running. We had a good laugh about it and sat there enjoying the race. That coon took them through some bad stuff, I mean to tell you. After about a hour Blueduck fall behind, and I had to go in and get him. Rhett caught Case after the track broke down close to the road because it was getting late and we both had to work today. We never did tree that coon. So much for that easy coon. Next time we run, if they tree him, I think I’ll give him a lead vaccine.

Old Post 10-01-2015 08:15 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Here a good picture of Case treeing on a huge tupelo gum.

Old Post 10-05-2015 04:47 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Thursday Oct. 1st. took Blueduck with Case again to Gum Swamp. We turned the them out on the end of the Onion Road. I got a feeder there, but have had any feed in it the last three months. They headed south down the drain about 250 yards before Case struck a cold track. He would open every now and then. They were close to 500 yards by the time the track started heating up. Rhett and I drove around to get closer, and by the time we go out the truck, they were moving him pretty good. Still 250 yards away, we headed toward them. About haft way there, we heard what sounded like Blueduck treeing. Ain’t no way, so I thought, that Blueduck is treeing ahead of Case. I figured he was hung behind a net wire fence, or something. When we got in there, this is what I found.

We couldn’t find the coon, but he sure was blowing the top out.

Old Post 10-05-2015 07:01 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

TREEING

He is looking good Tommy! Couple months and the leaves should be off the trees and make it easier to find the coon and put it down to those pups. Did you have any luck Elk Hunting? I bet it was a great time even if you didn't get a Bull.

Old Post 10-05-2015 07:33 PM